Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw the 6 plus yesterday and I really liked it. The only thing keeping me from getting it is that I like to exercise with my phone and it will look pretty dumb in an arm band.

To be fair, anyone with an iPhone in an armband looks kinda dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

noirstronaut posted:

Someone who has never set foot inside of a gym recently spotted.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

noirstronaut posted:

The alternative is to use a waist band and get sweat all over it. And I mean in terms of just practical size I don't think the 6 plus will work well in an arm band.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

noirstronaut posted:

Quoted for truth.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Deadlifted 345x5 this morning. Felt good. :smuggo:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Yea ripped dudes make armbands look like friendship bracelets anyway

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

My elago Slim Fit 2 case for my 6 that I ordered on...Wednesday I think just came in the mail. It's real nice, just like my elago 5S case was. It doesn't add much bulk at all but looks like it would protect from scratches and falls just fine on the sides, top and bottom. It has really nice cutouts for the buttons and it doesn't obscure the headphone port at all, which is nice for me because I sometimes connect the obnoxiously thick end of this giant Monoprice 3.5mm cable that goes to my receiver, and one of the cases I had for my 5S covered the bottom of the phone in a way that I couldn't use that without taking the case off. With this, I don't have to worry about that at all.

If you're interested, it's this one in matte black from Amazon for $11 + $4 shipping:

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Mu Zeta posted:

The alternative is to use a waist band and get sweat all over it. And I mean in terms of just practical size I don't think the 6 plus will work well in an arm band.

I wear shorts with pockets. I tried an armband one time and couldn't bring myself to do it again.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Question for 6+ owners: Do you think it suitably replaces an iPad for your general use? I'm considering selling my 5S and iPad Air to get the 6+.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Everyone wearing an armband looks like they accidentally ripped off the sleeve from a heart rate monitor in CVS.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

smoobles posted:

Question for 6+ owners: Do you think it suitably replaces an iPad for your general use? I'm considering selling my 5S and iPad Air to get the 6+.

On the go, yes. I'll probably stop carrying my iPad to work.

At home, no.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I'm surprised, I thought AppleCare+ phone orders required a remote diagnostic, but they just took my money and said congratulations you're covered. 5 minutes on hold, 2 minutes conducting the business at hand. Nice.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Has there been any murmuring about the iPhone 6 Plus landscape mode being a simple .plist edit or not? It's one of those "I'll only jailbreak for this feature" things.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
iPod shuffles were made for the gym. Not bringing my phone around heavy plates and sweat.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I don't have to go to bed and watch it again and it was not immediately clear if it is a good idea time for the next day you're there.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

AdmiralViscen posted:

If your reminder notes are more than 15 or so items long, you can't type on the upper half. Tapping the text field snaps your view to the bottom and raises the keyboard, scrolling higher in the list makes the keyboard go away, and tapping the text field on a higher entry snaps your view back down to the bottom.

This started in iOS7 and will apparently never be fixed.

Maybe I don't understand you, but I'm not experiencing any of that.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What's up with Slow Mo video mode like, starting in normal speed then arbitrarily choosing when to slow down a few seconds later?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
This is a bit of a shot but what's with the 'iTunes cannot recognize the contents of x' poo poo? I'm trying to sync my 4S to my iTunes (I barely ever do) and it's giving me this poo poo.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Feenix posted:

What's up with Slow Mo video mode like, starting in normal speed then arbitrarily choosing when to slow down a few seconds later?

Must be an algorithm that detects motion within the video. It's adjustable after the fact, though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

kitten smoothie posted:

I'm surprised, I thought AppleCare+ phone orders required a remote diagnostic, but they just took my money and said congratulations you're covered. 5 minutes on hold, 2 minutes conducting the business at hand. Nice.

It literally made my day when someone just was calling to get Applecare. So it's a positive thing on both sides.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

spongeworthy posted:

iPod shuffles were made for the gym. Not bringing my phone around heavy plates and sweat.

You're small bruh, smull, brull smuh

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I'm still on a 5S, but just curious where you guys go for wallpapers.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Abel Wingnut posted:

I'm still on a 5S, but just curious where you guys go for wallpapers.

Many wallpapers here have download options for some or all iPhone configurations:

http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/downloads/date/any/

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

ShoogaSlim posted:

Now that two brand new phones are out can we revisit the issue of how we're supposed to treat the batteries in these things?

My iPhone 5 battery had to be replaced once because it was bunk and then toward the end it was barely getting me through a few short hours.

I've read that you're not supposed to let them charge overnight, staying at 100% for too long. Then I've read you're supposed to try and not let them ever get below 30% or something.

Any definitive guide on this?

Leaving it plugged in all night is fine.

While plugged in, the circuitry will stop charging the battery and will actually allow it to drain for a while, then it will start charging again.

What kills the battery:

* Hot temps. Hot temperatures can cause permanent damage to the battery.

* Deep discharge. Letting your device hit "0%" is OK. The battery isn't actually fully drained at 0%, that is just its safe shut-down level. However, even when powered off, a battery will continue to lose its charge. It will drain beyond 0%.

Keep it cool, and avoid too many 0-100 cycles. The very act of charging wears out the battery, and charging for longer periods like that puts more stress on the battery.

Doing a 0-100 cycle is fine if you do it just a few times a year (not more than once a month).

Battery University has lots of info on battery maintenance.

Basically, don't leave it at 0% for long periods, don't leave it in hot cars, and charge it every day as needed.

If you think the percentage is "off" or that it is draining too fast, then try a 0-100 cycle to see if it improves.

iBackupBot will show you the battery information if you think your battery is at the end of its life. It checks the same info as a Genius would if you took it into an Apple Store.

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:
A good reference here: http://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

edit: also http://www.apple.com/batteries/why-lithium-ion/

Kailtor fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 20, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sith Happens posted:

Many wallpapers here have download options for some or all iPhone configurations:

http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/downloads/date/any/
If there's interest, we could start up a 6/6 Plus wallpaper thread again.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

illcendiary posted:

Must be an algorithm that detects motion within the video. It's adjustable after the fact, though.

Nah it's not that sophisticated, it just starts about 1/3 in and stops at about 2/3's the length of the video. You then can set it manually.

Stupid Dick
May 25, 2004

I haven't received my 6+ preorder yet, but I did go check it out at an Apple store today just to see what I'm getting. Initially I was concerned about how big it was, but then I realized that I was easily balancing it on my four other fingers while I navigated around with my thumb. I currently have a 4s and I have to do this weird put my pinkie at the bottom thing to support it because it's not really wide enough to grasp or support without feeling awkward (or like you're about to shatter it on the ground.) I don't have large hands per say, but I have big palms and fat fingers. It's still really tall, but I think the added width was nice. Also, it's very fast and pretty.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
The 6+ is comically large and anyone "lucky" enough to have gotten one already should just sell it for pure profit and get a 6. You won't regret it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
BREAKING NEWS: The iPhone 6 with the silicone cover does not fit in the Elevation Dock.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I'm already using the Reachability feature like it's been there all along.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Whirlwind Jones posted:

The 6+ is comically large and anyone "lucky" enough to have gotten one already should just sell it for pure profit and get a 6. You won't regret it.

I have 3XL hands with ridiculously long thumbs (about 4XL from index finger to thumb in glove sizes). The original XBOX controller fits me comfortably. My mom's Note 3 was the first phone I've held that didn't make me feel cramped typing.

For the general populous, I'd agree with you wholeheartedly. Personally, I'm just glad they're finally marketing phones toward extra terrestrials.

Ordered the 6+ today. Now if only they'd make motorcycle gear in my size. :unsmith:

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!

Feenix posted:

That's just the new "300" feature bruh...

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Counterpoint: different people have different phone preferences. My wife thinks I'm nuts for getting the 6 Plus, but when I try to type on her 5S I end up typoing like crazy.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

milkaxor posted:

Picked up a gold 6 64gb. Really loving it. The rounded edge is pretty nice. I hate the size of the font. I lowered it by a click and none of the 3rd party apps respect that setting. Everything just looks too big.
Apps with the giant fonts just haven't been updated for the 6 and 6 Plus yet. They're scaled up to the larger screen size. You can tell the difference by looking at the status bar. It gets larger and smaller depending on what app you're in. Once the apps get updated everything will be back to normal.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

My only real qualm with the swap to my iPhone 6 is that I lose my grandfathered Exchange Activesync that I've had on my iPhone 5 for years on all but my Google Apps for Work account.

Any way around this?

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI

Whirlwind Jones posted:

False. Anyone who settles for the 6 will have inevitable size envy.

6+ super race.

xilni posted:

My only real qualm with the swap to my iPhone 6 is that I lose my grandfathered Exchange Activesync that I've had on my iPhone 5 for years on all but my Google Apps for Work account.

Any way around this?

I had to bite the bullet and give that up when I got my 5 replaced. I started using Mailbox as it pushes gmail and I've really grown to like the zero mailbox mentality it promotes.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Dan Hollis posted:

That's just the new "300" feature bruh...

TONIGHT WE DINE IN MOTION COPROCESSORS!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
BREAKING NEWS: The iPhone 6 with the leather cover does fit in the Elevation Dock.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

supersteve posted:

I had to bite the bullet and give that up when I got my 5 replaced. I started using Mailbox as it pushes gmail and I've really grown to like the zero mailbox mentality it promotes.

I think I'm going to upgrade the two free accounts to Google Apps for Work, $5 a month each is cheap compared to the toll it's taking on my soul not having push email anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

xilni posted:

I think I'm going to upgrade the two free accounts to Google Apps for Work, $5 a month each is cheap compared to the toll it's taking on my soul not having push email anymore.

I'm sure there's an obvious answer but why not use the Gmail app?