Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

I too watch the Daily Show

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

What in the actual gently caress is the message here :psyduck:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Another cartoon that would not work with :barry:

Good god that Obama.

Man gently caress that grey, vaguely shaped creature.

:butt:

Your brain is explosive.

:nws:6:nws:
The threat of terrorism is all in our head. Also, horse nuts.

What the hell is everyone's fascination with Scotland's rear end?

No, seriously.

Ah yes, the infamous Gangs.

Maybe you should reconsider being aligned with a party whose main tactic is fear? Just a thought.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Shugojin posted:

Gorrel Eyes make me want to punch something. Possibly Gorrell Teeth but those might be equivalent to punching a wall.

I'm still catching up but

(Gorrel Eyes and his grotesque protruding lower lip art style infuriates me as well, not to worry, you're not alone)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Doesn't the classic (or rather, oft-repeated) version of the chess cartoon go like "one side is all pawns, the other is the usual line-up" in a class allegory?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

These are nice cartoons and all but I don't think the cartoonists were aware of an independent Scotland still going to be a member of the Commonwealth of Nations with QE2 as their head of state.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

As someone who knew who Eratosthenes was without looking him up and who likes the creativity of his methods, I fail to see how he has any real bearing on an understanding of recent US and world history on the level of everyone the student mentions. Teaching about Eratosthenes can help demonstrate how to set up a simple experiment to solve what seems like an overwhelmingly huge problem, but the upshot of his work is 'the world is round', which doesn't really make him a critical figure that needs to be taught about. The same with Newton. He came up with insanely important tools for mathematics and physics, but if you're not learning how to use those tools, there's not really any other reasons to teach about him. On the other hand Martin Luther King Jr. and Rosa Parks played visible parts in important US history events and are important to understanding the context of the world we presently live in. Nelson Mandela is a figure on the world stage of some importance, but I don't think he's heavily focused on in most curriculums, which tend to focus on more directly US focused stuff. Anne Frank gives younger people an approachable look into a situation which can be very hard to grasp and fully conceptualize, the everyday quality and frequent digression into issues outside the holocaust that most pre-teens and early teenagers are dealing with is where a lot of the value in that narrative comes from

In short, it's really obvious why you would teach about some people and not others, as long as you aren't a raging rear end in a top hat.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rorus Raz posted:

Man gently caress that grey, vaguely shaped creature.

That's a turtle.

Randler posted:

Finally I can join the "Discendo Vox is wrong about a lot of things" choir. :v:

(Saying there is good games journalism is like saying there are good editorial cartoonists or good webcomics. While some people might at least have acceptable technical skills, it's still a systematically flawed business.)

Jim Sterling is good.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

What, no "tolerance is mind AIDS"?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Rorus Raz posted:

Maybe you should reconsider being aligned with a party whose main tactic is fear? Just a thought.

I'm so tired of ISIS missiles flying at me.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

As someone who knew who Eratosthenes was without looking him up and who likes the creativity of his methods, I fail to see how he has any real bearing on an understanding of recent US and world history on the level of everyone the student mentions. Teaching about Eratosthenes can help demonstrate how to set up a simple experiment to solve what seems like an overwhelmingly huge problem, but the upshot of his work is 'the world is round', which doesn't really make him a critical figure that needs to be taught about. The same with Newton. He came up with insanely important tools for mathematics and physics, but if you're not learning how to use those tools, there's not really any other reasons to teach about him. On the other hand Martin Luther King Jr. and Rosa Parks played visible parts in important US history events and are important to understanding the context of the world we presently live in. Nelson Mandela is a figure on the world stage of some importance, but I don't think he's heavily focused on in most curriculums, which tend to focus on more directly US focused stuff. Anne Frank gives younger people an approachable look into a situation which can be very hard to grasp and fully conceptualize, the everyday quality and frequent digression into issues outside the holocaust that most pre-teens and early teenagers are dealing with is where a lot of the value in that narrative comes from

In short, it's really obvious why you would teach about some people and not others, as long as you aren't a raging rear end in a top hat.

But Eratosthenes and Newton are white, male geniuses, and therefore far more important than some whiny jews and blacks.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

fatherboxx posted:

Doesn't the classic (or rather, oft-repeated) version of the chess cartoon go like "one side is all pawns, the other is the usual line-up" in a class allegory?

"Check?! I thought we were playing Parcheese?!"

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Rorus Raz posted:

Wasn't it literally yesterday where Totally Not Hobbes was the scared one and ethnic mouthpiece was the one who wanted to boldly attack them?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I really don't say this enough, but gently caress You Ramirez.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Saint Sputnik posted:

What, no "tolerance is mind AIDS"?
Believe me, I looked for it, but I don't quite have the Barry-esque resilience to endure MRA/Stormfront forums for long periods of time.

To make up for it, take this random piece of poo poo I found when searching Lone Nut Comics.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

I think I just felt my blood pressure momentarily spike.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

I really like this one- it captures the different interests and mindsets of the two parties.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

I love how he doesn't even try to refute the first panel and the second panel tells me that if I join their cause I can rape any woman I want with impunity. It's a rare thing to see MRA's argue their endgame so honestly.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Rorus Raz posted:

Believe me, I looked for it, but I don't quite have the Barry-esque resilience to endure MRA/Stormfront forums for long periods of time.

To make up for it, take this random piece of poo poo I found when searching Lone Nut Comics.

There is nothing more telling of an MRA's reasons for living a sad, lonely, pathetic life than their own lovely propaganda.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Rorus Raz posted:

"All I did was tell her I'd like to gently caress her hard and she had the nerve to threaten to call the cops if I kept talking to her. loving feminism" *adjusts fedora around greasy unwashed pony tail*

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

DarklyDreaming posted:

I love how he doesn't even try to refute the first panel and the second panel tells me that if I join their cause I can rape any woman I want with impunity. It's a rare thing to see MRA's argue their endgame so honestly.

The world of Gor suggest to me that they're actually pretty out there with their endgame a whole lot of the time.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Huh, even though the art is lovely, this artist is at least somewhat familiar with how Chess is played (and how the board is set up), and is using that to make a point.

Explanation for non-Chess players: this is a really bad opening by Obama, his King is exposed to attack with no way to escape, and neither his Bishop or Queen can move. Also, if whoever-the-hell-that-is plays right, then it's a possible Fool's mate in 2 turns.

Of course, this cartoon relies on the reader being slightly familiar with how Chess works.:v:

Kwyjibo
Apr 1, 2003

fade5 posted:

Huh, even though the art is lovely, this artist is at least somewhat familiar with how Chess is played (and how the board is set up), and is using that to make a point.

Explanation for non-Chess players: this is a really bad opening by Obama, his King is exposed to attack with no way to escape, and neither his Bishop or Queen can move. Also, if whoever-the-hell-that-is plays right, then it's a possible Fool's mate in 2 turns.

Of course, this cartoon relies on the reader being slightly familiar with how Chess works.:v:
Or it depends on the cartoonist googling "worst chess opening" and going with the top Wikipedia hit or something similar. :shrug:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Animated cartoon, but definitely political. It's about the Syrian equivalent to EMT's and first responders who show up at every bombing. It's really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKdVvqi5Vh8

Here's a massive article from a journalist who was embedded with them.

https://medium.com/matter/whoever-saves-a-life-1aaea20b782

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kwyjibo posted:

Or it depends on the cartoonist googling "worst chess opening" and going with the top Wikipedia hit or something similar. :shrug:

Still more effort and professionalism than 99% of cartoonists

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
ANY DAY NOW

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

'09 comic, so more like ANY DAY THEN.

Nowadays there would be someone over to the side with the ISIS or IS or ISIL flag, watching on.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

:confused:
...what?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Seriously, what? I'm not mad, just confused.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

zakharov posted:

Anatoly was told he's the father of the two kids we haven't seen yet. He wants visitation rights (pretty reasonable, I think the first time I've ever said that about a Muir) but phrased in in the plural. Last panel reveals he and Mossad Operative seem to have taken a detour to get off-panel married? I dunno.

e: Also he called Liberal Sister a cow because it just wouldn't be a Chris Muir product without casual hatred of women.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Bush is winning in Iraq, but losing against the recession? I don't understand, by the time the 2007-08 recession started the US was clearly not winning in Iraq.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

quote:

Jan? Hey we're back in time in Zed's old '57 Ford to-what? Hugo & Eva are his. His who?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Skye is a brood cow.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

zakharov posted:

It's weird, because Muir has just been incoherent rambling and tits for a few months now.

BJR is using Israeli merc woman as a fake wife so he has a better chance to get custody (partial?) of his kids.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
Naomi seems awful chill about just up and marrying a dude to be a step mom to his illegitimate children.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I don't get it. America has executive orders to go fight ISIS but Obama doesn't want to fight ISIS even though he as the executive would have issued those orders?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Buckle up, we're about to get a string of MRA talking points from our old pal Muir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

Axetrain posted:

I don't get it. America has executive orders to go fight ISIS but Obama doesn't want to fight ISIS even though he as the executive would have issued those orders?

LEADING FROM BEHIND

• Locked thread