Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

sweek0 posted:

And the explanation:

WORDS: MLS stands for Major League Soccer.

SLASH: The slash refers to soccer’s speed and energy. The slash begins outside the perimeter and drives upward at a 45-degree angle to illustrate both the non-stop nature of our game and the rising trajectory of our league. It bisects the crest to create a “first half” and “second half.”

STARS: The three stars represent the pillars of our brand: For Club, For Country, For Community.

PERIMETER: The perimeter represents the lines that mark off the field of play.

FIRST HALF AND SECOND HALF: The first half contains MLS and the three stars. The second half is an open white space that brings you in and out of the MLS world.

That's some top, top bullshitting right there

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

sweek0 posted:

And the explanation:

WORDS: MLS stands for Major League Soccer.

SLASH: The slash refers to soccer’s speed and energy. The slash begins outside the perimeter and drives upward at a 45-degree angle to illustrate both the non-stop nature of our game and the rising trajectory of our league. It bisects the crest to create a “first half” and “second half.”

STARS: The three stars represent the pillars of our brand: For Club, For Country, For Community.

PERIMETER: The perimeter represents the lines that mark off the field of play.

FIRST HALF AND SECOND HALF: The first half contains MLS and the three stars. The second half is an open white space that brings you in and out of the MLS world.

I was hoping for an upper 90 in there somewhere.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

TheBigAristotle posted:

Not joking: club, country, community

Evidently this is Portland's fault.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Why do you not have a football in your logo? Also, it's just a corporate badge, why the ideology?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

mackintosh posted:

Why do you not have a football in your logo? Also, it's just a corporate badge, why the ideology?

Every corporate logo in history will have a huge level of bullshit ideology marketing speak explaining it

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Bogan Krkic posted:

Every corporate logo in history will have a huge level of bullshit ideology marketing speak explaining it

Most football logos don't but. They're usually hastily slapped together by interns and no one gives a poo poo about them.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

mackintosh posted:

Most football logos don't but. They're usually hastily slapped together by interns and no one gives a poo poo about them.

I'd guarantee that every club logo in a top 5 league that's been redesigned in the last 20 years does, along with all the logos of those leagues. The clubs/leagues just don't promote all that bullshit spiel because they aren't anywhere near as insecure as the MLS is.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

XBenedict posted:

That's clever branding, actually. It gives supporters more of a feeling of ownership in the league.

Considering every other league does it (except maybe the NHL) it's really worn out to make it a big deal. In Baseball it's just on the back of the hat but these will be on the armband in place of the regular logo.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Peanut President posted:

Considering every other league does it (except maybe the NHL) it's really worn out to make it a big deal. In Baseball it's just on the back of the hat but these will be on the armband in place of the regular logo.

Not being American, I can't think of a single league that does that. Maybe I'm missing an obvious one

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Bogan Krkic posted:

Not being American, I can't think of a single league that does that. Maybe I'm missing an obvious one

Major League Baseball has been for about 5 years now, and it's trickled down to the minors:

I think the NBA is going to in the future, and I remember the NFL talking about it, not sure if they will though.

When I said "every other" I meant in america. Sorry.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

As much as I really hate corporate branding on the whole and specifically the new MLS branding, I do actually really like that team colour/league badge thing

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Bogan Krkic posted:

I'd guarantee that every club logo in a top 5 league that's been redesigned in the last 20 years does, along with all the logos of those leagues. The clubs/leagues just don't promote all that bullshit spiel because they aren't anywhere near as insecure as the MLS is.

Clubs are a whole different story, most of their badges have a very long history. They don't need any ideology. Still not convinced on corporate league logos, but maybe you're right. I just never heard of any league body wax lyrical about it. It happens to some FAs sometimes, but league corps? Anyway, who cares, this logo is bad and the ideology spin on it is hilarious.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

mackintosh posted:

Clubs are a whole different story, most of their badges have a very long history. They don't need any ideology. Still not convinced on corporate league logos, but maybe you're right. I just never heard of any league body wax lyrical about it. It happens to some FAs sometimes, but league corps? Anyway, who cares, this logo is bad and the ideology spin on it is hilarious.

Oh agreed, it's only relevant for club badge redesigns simply because they have to justify the changes to the history of it. And either way, the bullshit spiel will be from the design firm to the league/club, and then that will be normally filed away and never spoken of again. I guess if the MLS design was done in-house, they felt the need to tell someone about their lovely ideology behind it? The A-League did much the same when it was created 10 years ago, although I don't remember if that was done in-house or not.

It's a terrible logo and the infographic explaining it makes me laugh forever

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

TheBigAristotle posted:

I guess I just don't understand why the league's logo needs to be a crest

I was going to say it doesn't really look much worse than Liga Portugal or Ligue 1 but those were probably made 10 years ago.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
That's not terrible, mainly because of the simplicity. Player, bat, ball plus two colors that match or complement those traditionally worn by the players.

I can't believe the mls one was designed and accepted by adult people.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

jeebus bob posted:

I can't believe the mls one was designed and accepted by adult people.

I believe you'll find that the average MLS attendee is either a soccer mom with kid in tow or a man-child whose Saturday attire includes a kilt, ironic facial hair, twelve scarves, and a lovingly painted two-stick tifo.

The former is probably more concerned about how many orange slices to dole out at Johnny's next soccer game, and the latter wouldn't like the logo if it gave them twenty bucks just for looking at it.

If you mean MLS HQ, then I should point out that the decision for which team Jermaine Jones plays for is the result of the worst use of USPS property since they tried the Pony Express.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

TheBigAristotle posted:

these are all terrible.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Snowy posted:

these are all terrible.

BUNDES
LIGA

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

Bogan Krkic posted:

Let's not forget the handy infographic:

this isnt real is it

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

not not luvd posted:

this isnt real is it

It's real as hell luvd I can't get enough

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

TheBigAristotle posted:

For a fun little thought exercise, imagine the criticisms people would come up with if the new MLS logo looked like any of these.

If it looked like the La Liga one: "LOL is this a soccer league or a paint store?! MLS is so bush league."
If it looked like Ligue 1: "They paid the guy thousands and thousands of dollars and he didn't even finish drawing the soccer ball!"
If it looked like Serie A: "Why did they put a round pitch in the logo? Are Americans too stupid to know what shape a pitch is supposed to be?"

I guess the point I'm really making is that people love to complain and will find any excuse to do so.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

TheNakedJimbo posted:

For a fun little thought exercise, imagine the criticisms people would come up with if the new MLS logo looked like any of these.

If it looked like the La Liga one: "LOL is this a soccer league or a paint store?! MLS is so bush league."
If it looked like Ligue 1: "They paid the guy thousands and thousands of dollars and he didn't even finish drawing the soccer ball!"
If it looked like Serie A: "Why did they put a round pitch in the logo? Are Americans too stupid to know what shape a pitch is supposed to be?"

I guess the point I'm really making is that people love to complain and will find any excuse to do so.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

poo poo I just realized that MLS has had a hard-on for that font for several years now,

The new logo is tacky and boring and I'd have liked it styled most like the NBA/MLB/Bundesliga logos. At least it will blend into the kits and I'll soon forget about it.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Tzen posted:

poo poo I just realized that MLS has had a hard-on for that font for several years now,

The new logo is tacky and boring and I'd have liked it styled most like the NBA/MLB/Bundesliga logos. At least it will blend into the kits and I'll soon forget about it.
I would have made the MLS logo a cowboy shooting flaming soccer balls out a pair of revolvers and the font would have been that old western playbill font and then I would have leaked it just to see the reaction.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

It's really funny to me how people happily swallow 90% of the astronomically stupid bullshit MLS does and constantly respond with "well im just happy we have a league" but a mediocre new logo is the one thing that people just cannot suppress their complaints about.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

TheNakedJimbo posted:

All of these are true and Spanish, French and Italian people are all stupid

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

mackintosh posted:

It's not ideology, it is values.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Columbus changed their logo to a bastardized Bundesliga crest with a little Zagreb thrown in for luck. It's the same corporate description of the crest that you get when they redesign anything ever, but the logo is inoffensive.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.bocajewniors.co.uk

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Columbus changed their logo to a bastardized Bundesliga crest with a little Zagreb thrown in for luck. It's the same corporate description of the crest that you get when they redesign anything ever, but the logo is inoffensive.

It feels very corporate (no we're not "The Crew" we're "The Crew SC [tm]"). I mean, even for the MLS.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Clubs give themselves their own nicknames in MLS? The MLS is fake (and gay) as hell.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
I bet everything the supporters sing is made by a PR firm and the tifos are approved first via focus group.

Owns.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I'm gonna miss the old Crew logo, it always reminded me of the gay steel mill from The Simpsons.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Drogadon posted:

I'm gonna miss the old Crew logo, it always reminded me of the gay steel mill from The Simpsons.

I liked it because unless you look at it closely it looks like Run DMC

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Blue Star Error posted:

I liked it because unless you look at it closely it looks like Run DMC

It does and the best possible thing for anyone to be associated with is Run DMC

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Peanut President posted:

It feels very corporate (no we're not "The Crew" we're "The Crew SC [tm]"). I mean, even for the MLS.

The new one doesn't look so "minor league hockey".

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Does SC stand for Soccer Club.

I mean, they redesign the badge to look more 'legit', and persist with 'soccer club'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
personally I think it's best to split the difference and go with "AFC"

• Locked thread