Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
The game really hasn't changed all that much since release. If you're looking to jump back in you probably won't notice much of a difference. Hopefully the next major update feels more substantial in terms of content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Reiley posted:

Can someone else field that question?

They have not updated in 6 months, so nothing has changed.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

AHungryRobot posted:

The game really hasn't changed all that much since release. If you're looking to jump back in you probably won't notice much of a difference. Hopefully the next major update feels more substantial in terms of content.

Are there still just three boss summons and then a gulf of filler schematics between alpha sector and sector X?

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Reiley posted:

Are there still just three boss summons and then a gulf of filler schematics between alpha sector and sector X?

Pretty much, yeah.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Reiley posted:

Can someone else field that question?

To elaborate on others, they branched the game into two builds, Stable and Nightlies. Depending on how long since you played, you might notice a few updates to the Stable branch, but it hasn't updated in 5 months. All of the updates go into Nightlies these days. You *could* check that out if you were desperate, it has lots of new stuff, Novakids, etc, but it's also super unstable. Like, they actually did disable caves in that build for a while.

You should probably just wait for the next Stable update, including this and more: http://pastebin.com/jnZfRNL4 We don't know when it's coming exactly, but it'll probably be more like weeks or months rather than days.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

XboxPants posted:

To elaborate on others, they branched the game into two builds, Stable and Nightlies. Depending on how long since you played, you might notice a few updates to the Stable branch, but it hasn't updated in 5 months. Most of the updates go into Nightlies these days. You *could* check that out if you were desperate, it has lots of updates, Novakids, etc, but it's also super unstable. They actually did disable caves in that build for a while.

You should probably just wait for the next Stable update, including this and more: http://pastebin.com/jnZfRNL4 We don't know when it's coming exactly, but it'll probably be more like weeks or months rather than days.

Haven't you done enough damage to this thread.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Devour or Fire posted:

It will never be enough.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

ScorpioMajesty posted:

I obviously missed something here. Could you please elaborate for the grossly ignorant?

Team Fortress Two was being worked on for 9 years, or more poetically 'One year for each class'. Being able to work out almost all of the kinks, test game balance, develop a full game aesthetic and generally tinker for nine years produced what is now probably Valve's bread and butter.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

WarpedNaba posted:

Team Fortress Two was being worked on for 9 years, or more poetically 'One year for each class'. Being able to work out almost all of the kinks, test game balance, develop a full game aesthetic and generally tinker for nine years produced what is now probably Valve's bread and butter.

In that case, though, the game was effectively totally remade more than once. I forget all the details but there were effectively multiple Team Fortress 2s until the current one came out. Not saying that's a bad thing, really, TF2 is a drat fine game.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

WarpedNaba posted:

You can't be serious.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Devour or Fire posted:

You can't be serious.

Are you camped out in this thread?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
That's also true. I'm not entirely sure that Starbound being remade would be very cost effective, but seeing that the dev team is still working out the features as and when they're implicated I'm not surprised it's taking a fair amount of time.

I'm still hoping for a feature that fills closed spaces with air, though. And maybe a device that shows you were any leaks are. I want my giant moonbase!

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Steakborked

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Starboard, like bored, like we're bored waiting for the next patch.
No wait, Starboring. Because the game is boring, not bored, and we're describing the game. There that one's better. Send me a check, Chucklefish, thanks.

Serious question though has it been mentioned how the Matter Manipulator gets upgraded, in terms of what it actually costs?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
We got Starboned.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Devour or Fire posted:

There is no :ironicat: big enough.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Can we just get a mod to change the thread title to Starbound - No, It Hasn't Updated Yet. ?

Also, stop quoting dummies and put 'em on your ignore list instead. You'll develop less froth around the mouth, y'all.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

We got Starboned.

All this shitposting gives me a StarBoner.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Evil Fluffy posted:

There is no :ironicat: big enough.

Sorry the ouya guy already made this thread look like garbage lightning fast so I thought I'd mix it up with a ruse, just in case the person who was asking if starbound was good yet was still reading.

Broand
Oct 13, 2011
I dunno if the game will be fun with the planned gear progression system but I don't think it will. Progression as it stands doesn't really change much except add new aesthetics and unlock a few gadgets at the moment.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Progression, and the various paths you'll take to the end-game, one of the big thing that's being worked on as the other updates roll out, whenever that ends up being. But yeah, right now it's just like 40% of a single progression path so it's not that hot.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

Progression, and the various paths you'll take to the end-game, one of the big thing that's being worked on as the other updates roll out, whenever that ends up being. But yeah, right now it's just like 40% of a single progression path so it's not that hot.

I can probably take the speed of progress having it's legs broken with a crowbar (Hello, permanently breaking mining tools if I can't scrounge up Manipulator upgrades before it happens), if I'm allowed to turn off "Lose all progress on death, sucker" as a default option at 1.0 launch and not just told to mod it in.

EDIT: vvv And my own luck with ores, gun drops, techs, or other RNG based things has always been "Hahahahahaha, gently caress you" My kind of "Good" Luck was breaking 1,000 iron... before I could find enough copper to make a copper pickaxe (which needs, what, 16 copper ore?) Why yes I dug up all that iron, silver, gold, and 75 coal with a stone pick. Back when it was allowed to dig such things.

So yes, progress loss would be fairly catastrophic for me with my track record trying to find "get X to progress" things. Where the best gun I could find across a dozen worlds before finally taking on the bone dragon with a melee spear was "Well, this pistol isn't as terrible as my Steel bow which eats nearly all of my current top tier armor energy to fire like, twice? This gun I can fire like, 10 times! For about the same damage.".

Add in the most previously stated desicion of "You die in 3 hits vs +1 enemies, no matter what", and having to work my way "up" to copper, THEN Iron, on the starter world alone, with still no mention of practical healing methods beyond hundreds of bandages (if you can find the plant fiber) or "Thank god I went apex, and they haven't removed roast bannanas yet. Because I can't build a cooking table, because that needs copper bars and I'm saving for a pickaxe. which will break"... Yeaaaah.

This reminds me, I wonder if there will be any crafted weapons below Iron in 1.0?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Sep 21, 2014

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah, losing bars and ores blows, but I can see why they added it. Especially looking at the other choices they're making to balance against things that don't exist yet. An option would definitely be nice, just for ores and bars specifically.

I'm sure once you can set your spawn point to specific locations on the planet the ore/bar loss won't be as much of an issue.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
To be honest I don't even really see ore and bar loss as a huge issue. I had thousands and thousands of each before I set down Starbound to wait for the next update. It didn't even take much time and effort to do that. That being said, I'd like for the game to have more stuff you can do with the metals. I want to build an entire house out of gold, not titanium, drat it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

To be honest I don't even really see ore and bar loss as a huge issue. I had thousands and thousands of each before I set down Starbound to wait for the next update. It didn't even take much time and effort to do that. That being said, I'd like for the game to have more stuff you can do with the metals. I want to build an entire house out of gold, not titanium, drat it.

You need all that titanium (and then some) for making a sky rail which is probably worth the effort eventually, maybe?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Keep in mind that in the same version of the game that has ore/bar loss, it's much more difficult/time consuming to actually get ore, because of the way pickaxes work.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dandywalken posted:

SHITbound!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Broke a sweat thinkin' of that one.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

You need all that titanium (and then some) for making a sky rail which is probably worth the effort eventually, maybe?

I feel like sky rails are more for multiplayer or people who build really, really big things. I never really did much with it simply because my home world was basically "two houses, a storage basement, and an outhouse over a gigantic pit full of sewage." I am a simple man and do not ask for much.

I found a doctor spawner one time that made an Apex so I built him an underground lab with titanium panels because having a mad monkey scientist in my basement amused me.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah, losing bars and ores blows, but I can see why they added it. Especially looking at the other choices they're making to balance against things that don't exist yet. An option would definitely be nice, just for ores and bars specifically.

I'm sure once you can set your spawn point to specific locations on the planet the ore/bar loss won't be as much of an issue.

Even if they just changed it so you only dropped unsmelted ores, and kept your bars, it'd make a huge difference because it would let you transform your ores into a "stable", non-droppable form. It'd be dead simple to keep a smelter with ya and take breaks to smelt your ore every so often while mining. Some people would find it tedious but at least you'd have an option. (though I guess even if they change nothing, it encourages you to make little mining outposts and drop off your ore in chests every so often, or something like that)

Vib Rib posted:

Starboard, like bored, like we're bored waiting for the next patch.
No wait, Starboring. Because the game is boring, not bored, and we're describing the game. There that one's better. Send me a check, Chucklefish, thanks.

Yeah but "Starboring" sounds like mining out the core of a sun from orbit, which would actually be pretty awesome.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like Starbound and think it's fun even if it is still in a kinda janky state :shobon:

edit: Also please calm down thread, everything will be okay

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I feel like sky rails are more for multiplayer or people who build really, really big things. I never really did much with it simply because my home world was basically "two houses, a storage basement, and an outhouse over a gigantic pit full of sewage." I am a simple man and do not ask for much.

I found a doctor spawner one time that made an Apex so I built him an underground lab with titanium panels because having a mad monkey scientist in my basement amused me.

Simple lair buddy :downs::hf::buddy: I have this horrible tendency to make a mildly complicated entrance to... the worlds most boring underground log cabin.

Turrets, titanium, multiple blast doors, TESLA SPIKES EVERYWHERE...

All leading to a series of rectangles made of wood. And ridiculous holes in the windows so I was allowed to teleport back to the ship from any floor.

I'm... going to need a bigger set of rectangles, just to fit all the new crafting table's alone. Also I never DID find an Apex stove :downs: (Apex wallpaper is surprisingly tough, thank goodness I had the diamond drill).

As for spawned doctors, I found all of one. To make sure nothing happened, I spawned them on my ship. They would forever walk back and forth between the door to the cockpit, opening and closing it while awkwardly standing between me and the 3D printer :downs:

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Haha, well, when I was playing on a server I was inspired by the mine dungeon's sort of mix between built stuff and natural caves so I dug out a cave at the bottom of the well in a glitch village and the mined out a bunch of random chunks out of floors and backwall which I replaced with junk metal, making a sort of dilapidated secret lab after I furnished it with apex furniture. I guess this is the sort of base you can only make in starbound because there's no reason to make something safe for the worthless random drop npcs who you will probably end up killing by accident anyways.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
Mortvert told me to tell this to you, my fellow shitposters, when i asked this.
"Cant we all just Get Along??"

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Devour or Fire posted:

Haha, well, when I was playing on a server I was inspired by the mine dungeon's sort of mix between built stuff and natural caves so I dug out a cave at the bottom of the well in a glitch village and the mined out a bunch of random chunks out of floors and backwall which I replaced with junk metal, making a sort of dilapidated secret lab after I furnished it with apex furniture. I guess this is the sort of base you can only make in starbound because there's no reason to make something safe for the worthless random drop npcs who you will probably end up killing by accident anyways.

The Mine dungeon is probably my favorite. That's the one with the crates at the top and the tents everywhere, right? With proper lighting that place could be spooky as poo poo.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Speaking of spooky stuff, I had an idea a while back but don't know how hard it would be to implement/configure.
An environment that saps light and muffles sound/makes spooky noises, maybe powers up enemies that are in it, and has some sort of freaked-out debuff on the player.

My first thought was maybe you could do this with a heavily modified liquid, some kind of "liquid darkness" with the vision-obscuring properties cranked up to near-max and a pitch-black overlay, but without hindering movement. This would have the added effect of letting it sort of spill out and evaporate if it's released, which could be a creepy surprise if you happened to dig into it. But, I dunno.

How hard would something like this be to do, and what would it involve?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
We have limited info on the new status effect system, but it sounds possible

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
You have been debuffed with: The Mummy's Curse
Effect: Using bandages causes damage because they are trying to strangle you.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Cicadas! posted:

maybe powers up enemies that are in it

Terrible idea. You're not going to spook or scare players with enemies that are more difficult to kill, you're just going to annoy them

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

The Mine dungeon is probably my favorite. That's the one with the crates at the top and the tents everywhere, right? With proper lighting that place could be spooky as poo poo.

Frackin' Flora has Penumbrite planets with no natural light. While exploring one when I found a black obelisk with glowing red runes on it. I actually stopped short and said, "Whoa."

Their wreckage planets made up of nothing but ash and junk metal are also pretty creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

Terrible idea. You're not going to spook or scare players with enemies that are more difficult to kill, you're just going to annoy them

Powering up doesn't necessarily have to mean making monsters damage sponges, you know. That's just the lazy way of doing it.
By power up I was thinking minor things like for them to move just a smidge faster than you'd expect, or making it so they aggro more easily than usual. Maybe a faint glow so you can barely see them.

But if that's still not your cup of tea, the other idea was for it to have sanity effects, such as generating monsters that look super threatening but aren't actually there, or randomly making monster noises or the danger beeps + screen fog for low air/heat, even though the player is in no real danger.

• Locked thread