Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maekrix Waere
Jul 10, 2010

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Rockmeats the Crusader
This is great. Would love to see some of these for the other characters.

Edit: Rockmeats summary/plan on the bottom of previous page.

Maekrix Waere fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Stand Still was printed in Expanded Psionics for some reason, even though it doesn't have anything to do with psionics. But it's still a great feat: when you make an opportunity attack due to enemy movement, instead of doing damage, the damage you WOULD have done is converted into a reflex save (so if you would have done 15 damage, you set a DC 15 reflex check). Fail the reflex check, and the enemy stops moving.

Actually, it's even crazier than that. It's not straight damage into a reflex save, no. THAT would have been not as crazy good. It's 10+DAMAGE DC. So do 15 points of damage? DC 25 Reflex save or not be able to move.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

medibot posted:

I am very much looking forward to killing Rockmeats in a dungeon.

A friction-less hallway that leads into a big rock tumbler.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Lateinshowing posted:

Actually, it's even crazier than that. It's not straight damage into a reflex save, no. THAT would have been not as crazy good. It's 10+DAMAGE DC. So do 15 points of damage? DC 25 Reflex save or not be able to move.

Really?

*checks book*

HUH

You learn something everyday in D&D 3.5~

BECAUSE THERE'S SO loving MUCH YOU NEED TO KNOW

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013

medibot posted:

I am very much looking forward to killing Rockmeats in a dungeon.

Ooooooooh man it's on!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

goatface posted:

12 year old Kobold Shaman, supported by the powerful spirit of his old toy dinosaur, "Mr. Buckles".

He was on a quest to find out who caused the dinosaurs to die out (the real ones, not the behemoths wandering around now) and bring them to justice. Mr. Buckles' miniature was a small, purple, rubber triceratops a friend gave me for my birthday when I was about 20.

Fun fact while Kobolds can live up to 120 or so. Most don't live more then 10 years. So he was already an adult.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's still no excuse for him having to miss his 13th birthday due to everyone being frozen in a stasis field for 6 months.

The party was already planned.

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe

Gharbad the Weak posted:

BECAUSE THERE'S SO loving MUCH YOU NEED TO KNOW

Pretty much this. So many splat books, rules that mix and work with each other. Let me tell you something, I played a Crusader before.... my god, before we got to higher levels, Stand Still surprisingly didn't come up very often (since we one to two rounded enemies). But when we got to higher level stuff, wizard polymorphed me into a giant, so I had a 15 ft. reach. That kinda hosed over all the enemies, since they couldn't reach me or move... and the base save to resist was like... DC 30+

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Palla is so bad at teaching people how to be a monk that Rockmeats up and ended up as the Tome of Battle equivalent of a Paladin.
"Monks are fighters who hit people in the name of justice and good! Also they take religious vows and some other stuff."

Rockmeats probably thinks Joey is a monk.

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011
Favorite character I ever played was in an Epic Level game (we ended at around lv 35). An Elf with a weeaboo-like obsession for human culture. He had a human name that he chose for himself, and everything. His parents were very disappointed in him. Long story short, he amassed an absurd amount of gold (dragon killing was the goal of the game), and he found someone to build him a dragon, and gave it sentience. We didn't get to resolve the game due to adult difficulties, but I was very definitely working towards making the construct into a real, live dragon. The D&D equivalent of Pinnochio, if you will, only with dragons. 3.5 is amazing.

Honorific!
Jul 5, 2007

Well played, Goonsire!
I look forward to Crusader Rockmeats vs. Deadly DM

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

A minor thing: You called necromancy and abjuration "spell classes". That should probably be "spell schools". :spergin:

To go into Stone Dragon a bit more: The Mountain Hammer trio of maneuvers completely ignore hardness. Even adamantine, the cut-through-anything metal, only ignores hardness of less than 20. With Mountain Hammer, you could literally hammer your way through a mountain (eventually). This is the maneuver I would take if I wanted to play John Henry. If you're less insane, you can instead use it to knock down the toughest doors, or play Kool-Aid Man and burst through some walls. If you can't think of a use for an attack that can break anything that can be broken, you aren't thinking hard enough.

Bonesplitting Strike and Mountain Tombstone Strike have less out of combat utility, but both deal a bit of damage to Constitution, with no saving throw. Losing Constitution is bad. For every 2 points of Con damage you take, you lose a number of hit points equal to the amount of hit die you have, and you take a -1 penalty to Fortitude saves. Mountain Tombstone Strike deals 2d6 Con damage. That means potentially hundreds of effective damage and up to -6 penalty to Fort saves. Then you can recover it, and do it again.

This is one of the worst disciplines. The one everyone has access to, the one nobody specializes in. Because the other disciplines have even more goodies. Tome of Battle is pretty cool, guys!

I mentioned them before (in an edit) but: Maneuver Cards. If you intend to play a Martial Adept, I highly recommend you take a look at them. They're especially useful for Crusaders, due to the crusader's random method of recovering maneuvers. Put them in a deck, shuffle them and draw for your maneuver every round.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 20, 2014

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Nihilarian posted:

Bonesplitting Strike and Mountain Tombstone Strike have less out of combat utility, but both deal a bit of damage to Constitution, with no saving throw. Losing Constitution is bad. For every 2 points of Con damage you take, you lose a number of hit points equal to the amount of hit die you have, and you take a -1 penalty to Fortitude saves. Mountain Tombstone Strike deals 2d6 Con damage. That means potentially hundreds of effective damage and up to -6 penalty to Fort saves. Then you can recover it, and do it again.

Wasn't there a rule where if your con hits 0 you instantly die?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

djw175 posted:

Yuuuuup.

Having any other stat brought to 0 puts you in a state that is pretty much death as well.

Leonyth
Mar 17, 2009

WolfShirt posted:

Instead your mission is to tell me the stupidest non-optimized character you've made in D&D 3.5, go!

I had a Half-Orc Barbarian, who went one level into being a sorcrer just to qualify for Dragon Disciple. Just because I thought it seemed cool.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

djw175 posted:

Yeah, I probably should have mentioned that, too.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Leonyth posted:

I had a Half-Orc Barbarian, who went one level into being a sorcrer just to qualify for Dragon Disciple. Just because I thought it seemed cool.

Yeah, in the NWN videogame one of the expansion packs (remember when those were a thing instead of DLC?) added dragon disciples. The amount of fighter/bard or sorc/DD's running around was kind of absurd.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!
Just started listening to this campaign a few days ago, and I am loving it so far. So I drew some fan art, enjoy!

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013

animaCartographer posted:

Just started listening to this campaign a few days ago, and I am loving it so far. So I drew some fan art, enjoy!

That is delightful. Thanks for sharing.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

You can get anything you want at malice's restaurant

BLUE BLOOD BURNS BRIGHT

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

That is a fantastic Kit.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!
Thank you, your compliments are very much appreciated!

WolfShirt
May 8, 2007

Pretty pretty pony pony pretty pony pon pon

She's a stone cold killer under all that hair! Awesomely done!

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Awesome! Please do Larry Larrycola next.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!
I'd like to imagine that all the NPCs in this campaign are actually Miriam Webster wearing a different hat.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Awesome! Please do Larry Larrycola next.

I don't see why not!
Here's Larry Larrycola, enjoy.

Tepplen fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 27, 2014

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

What I'm getting from the hat is that he's going to be following the party everywhere now, narrating what's happening.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aurora posted:

What I'm getting from the hat is that he's going to be following the party everywhere now, narrating what's happening.

Even Larrycola is afraid!

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

Aurora posted:

I'm now imagining him like that snowman from that old "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" movie, narrating the entirety of that fight scene with those electric beetles.

Tepplen fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 21, 2014

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

Gildiss posted:

Even Larrycola is afraid!

"Joey-star San!"

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Brassherald posted:

I'd like to imagine that all the NPCs in this campaign are actually Miriam Webster wearing a different hat.

How about "Everybody is Joey"?

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Superstring posted:

Yuuuuup.

Having any other stat brought to 0 puts you in a state that is pretty much death as well.

Not really.
If your STR and DEX hit 0 you basically just become a paraplegic- thus helpless.
If your INT hits 0 you fall unconscious and into a coma- thus helpless.
If your WIS hits 0 you fall into a "deep sleep filled with nightmares"- thus helpless
And if your CHA hits 0 you basically become so ridiculously unable to handle any kind of interaction with anything that you fall into a catatonic state as a coping mechanism...and thus also helpless.

CON is technically the only thing that kills you at 0 effectively, however all abilities can be recovered naturally at 1 point per day (double if they get proper bed rest), if your friends care to still drag around your dead weight or sit in a town for two weeks while you get better.

Maekrix Waere
Jul 10, 2010

TCat posted:

Not really.
If your STR and DEX hit 0 you basically just become a paraplegic- thus helpless.
If your INT hits 0 you fall unconscious and into a coma- thus helpless.
If your WIS hits 0 you fall into a "deep sleep filled with nightmares"- thus helpless
And if your CHA hits 0 you basically become so ridiculously unable to handle any kind of interaction with anything that you fall into a catatonic state as a coping mechanism...and thus also helpless.

CON is technically the only thing that kills you at 0 effectively, however all abilities can be recovered naturally at 1 point per day (double if they get proper bed rest), if your friends care to still drag around your dead weight or sit in a town for two weeks while you get better.
I suppose they aren't literally death states, but within the context of an encounter, they pretty much are identical. The difference between the cleric casting Revenance on someone who straight up died from hp damage to bring them back into the fight and the cleric casting Restoration on someone reduced to, lets say, 0 Charisma to get them fighting again is that Restoration has a 100gp material component cost and takes 3 rounds to cast, where Revenance is free, only takes a standard action, and give bonuses against whatever killed the revenanced character.

While I'm certain there must be easier/faster ways to cure ability score damage, I feel the point stands. So long as we define death itself as a death state (which seems right), I feel that its fair to refer to anything which has essentially the same mechanical implications in the encounter as death itself as a death state.

Its why even though a lot of save-or-die spells (Sleep, as an example) don't actually kill their targets, they're still referred to as Save-or-Die spells.

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012
I just listened to the first session and am having to stop myself from devouring the rest immediately. I especially like how every NPC has a unique voice and character! This is a new and exciting world. :allears:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
There was some stuff that happened on Twitter, so I just want to ask one thing:

Is everyone all right? I don't mind if there's a delay if somebody needs to take some time to sort some things out.

Stay safe, everybody.

WolfShirt
May 8, 2007

Pretty pretty pony pony pretty pony pon pon

Session 3.5-2: The Fist Double's Lament

As our heroes continue spelunking through beetle tunnels they come across more than a few surprises.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Rare live footage of joey in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1sbOWE0Mrg&t=188s

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I'm kind of hoping that newly-orphaned fire beetle will become a recurring character.

ZOOP MASTER 50 CAL
Apr 14, 2004

baby hipster pope
What the hell, how long did I even keep y'all in one cave full of beetles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The word beetle has lost all meaning.