Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Morning goons, don't forget it's climate action day today, get your rear end out there!

Canberra: 10:30am, ANU University, Chifley Meadows (outside the library, near Union Court)

Brisbane: 11am, Queens Park

Melbourne: 11am, State Library (then marching to Treasury Gardens)

Adelaide: oh wait, Adelaide's was yesterday

Sydney: 12pm, Bicentennial Park, Glebe

Hobart: 1pm, MONA at Berriedale

Perth: 1pm, Russell Square

And whether or not you're going to join a rally, you can get in some more direct action on this page for a crowdfunded solar thermal project:

http://corenafund.org.au/september-21-day-of-real-climate-action/

The current donors include Scott Ludlam!

(whoah, thanks dudes who got in enough posts just before me, I wasn't even checking if this would be a snipe!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
Just a reminder that the Liberal Party has spent more time in government than any other federal Australian political party. :australia:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Jacqui Lambie is giving a stellar performance on Insiders.

piss explosion
Apr 2, 2005
I THINK MURDER AND BIGOTRY ARE FUNNY!!
Anyone watching insiders now? Hilarious watching Lambie look absolutely clueless when being asked directly if she knows what sharia law actually is. Also apparently the woman in the burqa image she posted is actually a hero we should all look up to

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malalai_Kakar

Literally a better person than all of Australia combined

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Like a Lambie to the slaughter

Wez
Jul 8, 2006
not a stupid noob

TheBlackVegetable posted:

A side question, should that just say "Muslims", or "persons of the Islamic faith", or is "persons of the Muslim faith" correct?

Someone fill in my ignorance

Muslims.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Everyone hates Higgott and his lieutenant Capling and the senate have been looking for a way to get rid of him for the last 12 months.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Gough Suppressant posted:

Like a Lambie to the slaughter

I caught the interview on the newsradio simulcast, just the audio of the "describe sharia law" question was excruciating. iviewing that poo poo as soon as I get home.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Tirade posted:

I caught the interview on the newsradio simulcast, just the audio of the "describe sharia law" question was excruciating. iviewing that poo poo as soon as I get home.

~14 minutes into the iview clip.

Amazingly awkward. Unfortunately, I'm sure this kind of thing will make her more popular among a lot of people.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Murodese posted:

Everyone hates Higgott and his lieutenant Capling and the senate have been looking for a way to get rid of him for the last 12 months.

What's the alleged corrupt behaviour? It's not mentioned in the article.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

The tories won a third term with an increased vote, rip NZ

One of their first legislative agendas is to remove mandatory lunch breaks. Good voting NZ

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Nibbles! posted:

One of their first legislative agendas is to remove mandatory lunch breaks. Good voting NZ

Lol, really? Was this part of their platform during the campaign?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Big turnout in Brissy for the march today! And there was a pretty good Abbott impersonator wandering around. I made sure to tell him he must be the most popular guy at the protest.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Nibbles! posted:

hahahahahahahahahahaha

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
My mum pleaded with me to not leave the house unless absolutely necessary because she'll worry about me getting blown up. She wasn't happy when I said Uni was more important that the bullshit on 9 news.

Thanks for letting the "terrorists" win Abbott.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 21, 2014

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Lambie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o63FGy3mPWI

FMD that was agonizing to watch

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Holy poo poo that's painful.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

That Lambie thing reminds me of all the angst about Catholics in politics.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I thought of that too, especially given the obvious change in the religious makeup of the Liberal party over the past few decades.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Nibbles! posted:

You have a link for this? I'd check NZ news but, well... "lol"

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Adnar posted:

Agonizing?

Hilarious.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Australian government: Fear! Fear! The Muslims are out to get you! Cower in fear of them!

Who're the terrorists again? :confused:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Adnar posted:

jacqui lambie dumb as dogshit who woulda thunk

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

jacqui lambie dumb as dogshit who woulda thunk

It was her, she had the dunce's cap all along.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

TheBlackVegetable posted:

A side question, should that just say "Muslims", or "persons of the Islamic faith", or is "persons of the Muslim faith" correct?

Someone fill in my ignorance

Persons of interest.

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
Did she not think to at least google loving Sharia law 10 minutes before the interview

How are people this incompetent allowed anywhere near any position of decision making anywhere ever?

Deuterious
Oct 17, 2011

i got banned posted:

Did she not think to at least google loving Sharia law 10 minutes before the interview

How are people this incompetent allowed anywhere near any position of decision making anywhere ever?

Because we vote for them.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

i got banned posted:

quote:

49% literacy `not as bad as it looks'
THE state's low adult literacy rate doesn't simply mean 49 per cent of the population can't read or write, according to the Tasmanian Council for Adult Literacy.

The council says the rate stems from a range of learning difficulties.

According to Australian Bureau of Statistics figures revised in 2008, about 49 per cent of the state's adult population aged 15 to 74 do not have adequate reading and writing skills.

Council president Jenni Anderson said that did not mean that almost half of the state's population could not read or write.

``Some people might be quite competent in spelling but may not be able to do some maths,'' Ms Anderson said.

``Others can do numeracy very well but they may not be able to really understand or comprehend text.''

She said that the figures looked bad but it showed people had different ability levels and in various categories, such as prose, numeracy or problem solving.

49% adult literacy rate? :shrug:

That's how Jacqui Lambie gets elected.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

49% adult literacy rate? :shrug:

That's how Jacqui Lambie gets elected.

Tasmania is really turning into the Deep South

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

quote:

``Some people might be quite competent in spelling but may not be able to do some maths,'' Ms Anderson said.

``Others can do numeracy very well but they may not be able to really understand or comprehend text.''

Well, that'd be swell if we were talking innumeracy and not illiteracy...?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Milky Moor posted:

Well, that'd be swell if we were talking innumeracy and not illiteracy...?
I'm not sure Ms Anderson could actually read the question.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Uh wtf...

New laws will give ASIO licence to kill

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2014/09/21/08/47/new-anti-terror-laws-will-give-asio-power-to-kill#HLiBrc9KIekpAtmA.99

quote:

Sweeping new anti-terror laws to be introduced to Parliament on Wednesday will give ASIO the power to kill suspects.
The new legislation will give ASIO agents a licence to kill in extreme circumstances, such as self-defence or to protect the lives of others.
Attorney General George Brandis will also push for a change to the criminal code and introduce a penalty for the offence of "advocating terror".
The change will mean radical preachers who incite "hate speech" can be jailed for up to five years.
But Mr Brandis said ASIO could never be authorised to torture.

"This is not something that any Australian government agency, no matter what the circumstances, would ever do," he said.

The Australian Greens are concerned giving agencies more power will overturn democratic rights and restrict civil liberties.

Labor's legal affairs spokesman Mark Dreyfus said ASIO and the police already did "very fine work" without new laws.
A parliamentary committee wants changes made to the agency powers bill, including better oversight of provisions that give spies immunity from criminal prosecution, and the government has said it supports the committee's 17 recommendations.

ASIO and the federal police were happy with the planned changes, Mr Brandis said.
Additional reporting by AAP.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
We're murderers but not torturers. That's what big brother America's into.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Yeah, these aren't going to pass the senate.
Thank god Tony doesn't have a mandate.

Why aren't you letting us get on with business (of killing browns)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

This is all for freedom citizen! You'll take your freedom and you'll drat well like it! Or are you some sort of freedom hating terrorist?!? :cop:

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

"Advocating Terror"

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Lambie backtracking about how she knew the Burqua picture was the Afghan Policewoman and she posted it as a tribute :lol:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

quote:

The change will mean radical preachers who incite "hate speech" can be jailed for up to five years.

Quick, someone bait a shock jock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Given we'll never know the facts behind any victims of ASIO, why even bother with authorization for torture?

• Locked thread