Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Korak posted:

Watching ChannelFireball stream right now while they do some sealed Khans, I can't tell if Matt Sperling is a huge dick or its just so late at night he's a little loopy and playing it up.

He just played a foil fetch with no sleeves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apistat
Nov 4, 2004

Meet you on the roof?
Oh my god that hissy fit was amazing

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

En Fuego posted:

Biggest bad beat I heard was my buddy about to win the next turn, with dominant board position. Opponent hail mary's with a Villainous Wealth for 5 ... hitting 3 5cc creatures and 2 removal spells. PRETTY GOOD

I got blown the gently caress out by Duneblast the turn before I would have won, but that's not the same, I know.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I want to make an edh deck just to use this villanous wealth I pulled and couldn't make work in mardu.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Just went 2-2 at my prerelease by losing 2 games, getting a bye for the third game and having my opponent drop for the fourth game.

My LGS was all out of Temur and Mardu so I had to go Jeskai, and while I can say that I don't hate Jeskai as much as I did before it is still a terrible, terrible clan for playing sealed. If you don't get a lot of combat tricks in your pool (like I did) all your prowess creatures become worthless.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Back from another prerelease.

I don't know why LSV was so lukewarm about villainous wealth. Unless one of you is mardu games tend to go to 8 or 9 lands, and at that point it basically wins you the game regardless of what the board currently looks like.

It's also easily splashable for all clans due to all the stray dual/trilands floating about.

tirinal fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 21, 2014

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Deviant posted:

I want to make an edh deck just to use this villanous wealth I pulled and couldn't make work in mardu.

I pulled one and had the exact same thought. But as far as dope EDH pickups, I opened a Hardened Scales which can't get in my Vorel deck fast enough.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

superstepa posted:

If you don't get a lot of combat tricks in your pool (like I did) all your prowess creatures become worthless.

Your opponents don't necessarily know that! (Good luck continually bluffing in following games, especially in sealed, but it'll certainly make for a lot of tense combat in draft)

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

Rinkles posted:

Your opponents don't necessarily know that! (Good luck continually bluffing in following games, especially in sealed, but it'll certainly make for a lot of tense combat in draft)

Oh yeah bluffing with prowess is super fun.
I won a round by attacking with my two prowess guys into a wall of creatures, acting as if I wanted to make a creature trade. He let my Jeskai Student (1/3) in and I Arrow Stormed him to the face (He had 7hp).

But seriously all those people that told you that KoT is extremely slow were not joking, my every game went up to the 50 minute limit

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

t2

oh didn't find your wincon/boardwipes?
t3

:shepface:
this will be played many many times in the next year.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Nobody's going to play a lovely index when there's a bunch of really strong cards that do what this card does without a loss in card advantage in green

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

apistat posted:

Went four color, splashing blue just for a Villainous Wealth.

Greedy? Yes. Casting for seven, hitting five creatures and a kill spell?

:smuggo:

I saw a Villainous Wealth hit 4 outlast lords and an Incremental Growth.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

This guy is where it's at in sealed. I went 3-1 with a Sultai deck involving this guy, ascendancy, and a lot of blockers. My only real win conditions were two abominations of Gudul and Surrak Bear Puncher. Color wise I was mostly GB with some blue and surrak on the splash. Sultai Ascendancy was an all-star, and both enabled my dead drop and treasure cruise while keeping my draws live throughout the game.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Did two pre-releases. First I went Mardu and had a great Black / White aggro creature base with removal and combat tricks to close it out, but after some thinking I cut some of the not as good white and black creatures and brought in red. Ended up with 5 one drops (2 Bloodsoaked Champions), 5 two drops (3 Valley Dashers, 1 Skullhunter), some not noteworthy 3 drops, and topped off with expensive good stuffs (Saddlebrute, 3 Ponyback Brigades, Take up Arms). I think I won about 7 of the 9 games I played by Morphing a Ponyback Brigade EOT or Casting Take Up Arms EOT, and then untapping an either trumpet blast (had 2), or Rush of Battle, win... My only loss was to another Mardu player and it was a G1 Mulligan to 5 2 land hand with a 1 drop, two 2 drops, which only drew lands then going forward, G2 stomp him hard, G3 mulligan to 5 again 1 plains, two white 1 drops, two 2 drops hit a second land T4. Double blood soaked champion is really difficult for opponents to deal with if they both got online. 2 Bloodsoaked Champions were pretty much the only "money" items in my pool. Got a UW fetch in my prize packs.

Second pre-release was a total flop. Went Abzan, pool screamed "Outlast deck, please" so I built it. Wasn't running a single non-outlast creature except for the Demon that Delves and can do the -X/-X. Quickly lost both round 1 (Savage Knuckleblade is a thing) and round 2 (opponent was color screwed g1, I mull'd to 5 g2 and was mana screwed g2, and color screwed g3)

Ride Down is awesome. Jeskai Ascendancy is nuts when it gets active. Savage Knuckleblade is ridiculous.

I had one game where my opponent forgot to reveal his morphs, which was awkward, but he was conceding, so it wasn't a big deal.

One awkward thing that happened during the second pre-release during round one the next table over was having a long grindy match that was decided in extra turns with the judge advising the player about to win to hurry up (5 minute turn 4 where really all he had to do was swing). Winner of the match fills out the slip marking down that he won and then informs his opponent (some 12 year old kid) that he's dropping... Really? That's just mean.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Nobody's going to play a lovely index when there's a bunch of really strong cards that do what this card does without a loss in card advantage in green

mmmm no I don't think you understand.
1. fuels delve
2. allows you to very easily get rid of the bad cards, which index doesn't let you do. This may as well read "Scry 5". Except without the chance of getting the cards you don't need after you fetch.

edit: funny story about prerelease, there was a semi-new player against an LGS regular in round 1. 6 minutes left before round 3 and the new guy says "Yeah this one is a draw". The reg says "We've got 6 minutes plus turns it'll be fine". I come back with 5 seconds left in round and the newb is mulling to 3 :v: Yeah bud that isn't going to fly. [/spoiler]he got an informal warning and it ended in a draw :suicide:[/spoiler]

mbt fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 21, 2014

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
There is nothing worse than working the night before and the day after Saturday pre-release in the very store it's being held in. :negative: I would have done it if I wasn't so tired by 11:00 I was dozing off in torrential rain on a 20-minute drive home. Thank your LGS workers, sealed-havers!

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

This card also costs you a card while there are other effects that don't. I'd rather get a creature/land (scout the borders), have the effect be repeatable (Ascendancy), etc.
If you're using it primarily to fuel delve you aren't getting much selection out of it, if you're using it for selection then you aren't getting much delve value, it's just fundamentally a weak card.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Went 2-2 with a fairly shallow Mardu pool, and then my friends and I had won enough prize packs that we did a 6-man draft. Opened Sultai Ascendancy and rode Sultai all the way to victory. Delve is really good in draft, you just need to make sure that you only have one or two "empty the graveyard" cards like Treasure Cruise and the others should be in the "almost good enough at full price" category like Murderous Cut.

The big thing is going to be learning how to design your manabase. I definitely should have started picking up Refuges earlier in the process.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

sarmhan posted:

This card also costs you a card while there are other effects that don't. I'd rather get a creature/land (scout the borders), have the effect be repeatable (Ascendancy), etc.
If you're using it primarily to fuel delve you aren't getting much selection out of it, if you're using it for selection then you aren't getting much delve value, it's just fundamentally a weak card.

Frankly, if you look at the top 5 and really want to keep more than 1-2 of them rather than feed them to a turn 3-4 delver, you're already pretty well off because it means your top 5 are nutty good (for a limited deck).

I wouldn't disagree that Ascendancy might be better but is that really a fair comparison?

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Dehtraen posted:

he's dropping... Really? That's just mean.

...why?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Emergency phone call was received and he had to leave, but not after beating his Round 1 opponent, marking the slip and collecting the two free prize packs that were issued to each person in the tournament regardless of record.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dehtraen posted:

Emergency phone call was received and he had to leave, but not after beating his Round 1 opponent, marking the slip and collecting the two free prize packs that were issued to each person in the tournament regardless of record.

What a dick, at least mark the kid down as the winner. He'd get the packs anyway, so it's not like he'd have won more or anything, not even Planeswalker Points.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Did he get packs for winning? I get 2 packs per match win here, so I would have no problem doing that. Even if he didn't, it's kind of irrelevant. If the kid lost then taking a win instead just gets him paired against better players, being more likely to lose again.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

storm deck plays that exact interaction. granted Scheming is actually fine in that deck because you only care about very specific cards on certain turns, but it still counts.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Had a good time at the prerelease. Everyone was going on and on with how slow the format was, but any mardu deck would be stacked from the seeded pack and ought to have been able to go under most other decks while they fart around with morph then 5cmc unmorph and dumb poo poo.

No good rares in the 1:1 but got the datestamped temur khan during 2hg, which I have to hope will be the rarest foil of him? Let's hope he takes off in edh!

We did have one good rules interaction that I'm sure I'm right on but had to argue and argue:

Player A targets B's one fatty with a kill spell. B casts Force away on his own creature to save it. Does he get to loot?

I say no. Unlike many of the other ferocious cards that say 'instead' you just do the steps one at a time. Once you get to the loot sentence, the if is no longer true.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
So far I am really enjoying KTK pre-releases. I went to the midnight last night, skipped today because of work/homework, and have 3 events tomorrow that I'll discuss later.

So last night at the midnight release I went with Abzan (Not because I take this game super seriously, but because G/B is my favourite colour combination, and I like W more than U as the splash, (GO JUNK!))

Anyways, I ended up going 4-0 in matches and 8-1 in games, which was good enough for 25 prize packs. My pool was pretty bananas I think. I don't know why so many people had troubles going to time with Abzan; I played at a respectable pace and was never even close to going to time. Maybe people are just intentionally durdle-y?

Here's the deck I made for the midnight release:

Harry Potter and the prisoner of AbzaKhans:

Creatures:

1x Mardu Hateblade
1x kin-Tree Warden

1x Heir of the Wilds
1x Ainok Bond-Kin
1x Mardu Skullhunter
1x Archers' Parapet
2x Highland Game (Would be switched out for 2x Alpine Grizzly against certain decks, or with 2x Rite of the Serpent)

1x Tuskguard Captain

1x Abzan Battlepriest
1x Sidisi's Pet
2x Unyielding Krumar
2x Longshot Squad

1x Hooting Mandrills
1x Sultai Scavenger
2x Abzan Guide

// 19 creatures total

Spells:

1x Debilitating Strike

2x Abzan Charm
1x Abzan Ascendancy (My seeded pack rare)

1x Smite the Monstrous

1x Throttle

// 6 spells total

Lands:

3x Swamp
4x Forest
3x Plains

2x Blossoming Sands
1x Sandsteppe Citadel
1x Scoured Barrens
2x Jungle Hollow

1x Flooded Strand
1x Polluted Delta

// 18 lands total

43 cards total. (I know, I know what kind of rear end in a top hat funds 43 cards? I just didn't know what my 3 worst cards were.)

The deck ran like clockwork. It was bananas how smooth it was. I ran the 2 fetches for deck-thinning and swagger purposes (I know the deck thinning doesn't have a huge statistical impact, however the placebo effect was very soothing)

The curve generally worked out really well (even though I didn't really have any 5 drops) and the outlast lords were loving INSANE A+ WOULD PLAY AGAIN! I even had a game where I went:

T1: Mardu Hateblade
T2: Swing with Hateblade -> Mardu Skullhunter (raid trigger)
T3: Tuskguard Captain
T4: Longshot Squad/Abzan Battle Priest
T5: Ainok Bond-Kin -> Abzan Ascendancy

Which is pretty crippling for a lot of people. Also being able to give all of my other creatures the abilities given by outlast lords by spreading sue +1/+1 counters around with Abzan Charm.

R1 vs Abzan (MIRROR MODE ENGAGE) Win 2-0

Both games I had more lords, better creatures, and more removal than my opponent. Although I did eat a suppression field both games (and I forgot to sideboard in naturalize, whoops)

R2 vs Temur win 2-0

Opponent had Rattleclaw Mystic and a few big dudes, but my guys had either first strike or death touch, or the ability to regenerate and chump block for days. Either Way Abzan charm was an MVP card in all of its different functions.

R3 vs Jeskai win 2-0

G1 my opponent knocked me down to 4 or so in our straight race but I had the tricks to get me through.
G2 my opponent was wining the race until I dropped the lifelinkf outlast lord and an Abzan Ascendancy

R3 vs Mardu win 2-1.

This match was terrifying because it was against a local pro, an amy record against him is only like 3-9. But he did compliment me by saying that I have gotten better every time we've been matched up and that now I was a legitimately difficult opponent. I offered him a split, but he didn't want it.

G1: He wins the die-roll and has a quick start with a 1-drop 2-drop 4-drop. I go Mardu Hateblade into Ainok Bond-kin into morph creature into Flip Sidisi's pet and Heir of the wilds and then I start triggering Outlast. He Arrow Storms me down to 2, but I drop the Lifelink outlast lord and turn it around for a win. After G1 (which took around 15-18 minutes) my opponent looks to one of his friends who asks what game it is and says "That was just Game one, not my fault!" and he gestures towards me as if I was slow-playing, then he goes "Yeah we need to hurry it up for the next two games I don't want to go to time."
ac
G2: He has three kill shots, the RW2 flying mantis, and gets the 4 mana 4/5 who drains you life if you don't trigger his raid. I survive for quite a while with a Sadisi's pet, but endueI end up just getting run over.

G3: I realize that I may not have been playing optimally because I felt coerced into playing faster, so I take a deep breath, relax, and play at a very quick pace while still staying laser focused. Anyways, I lead with T1 Hateblade into T2 swing -> Mardu Skullhunter (raid trigger), and then I start dropping outlast lords. Opponent still has multiple Kill shots, and 1-2 Throttles and a Smite the Monstrous. We exchange creatures and removal for a bit until I drop an Azban Ascendancy, I am at 7 life, he is at 9. Next turn I swing in with a four creatures including an Ainok Bond-Kin and an abzan battlepriest. Opponent has 3 creatures and blocks my bond kin (2 counters) with his Mardu Skullhunter, my Tuskguard captain(no counters) with his RW2 3/3 mantis, and my Hooting Mandrills with his Bellowing Saddlebrute. After declaring blockers opponent Throttles my Abzan battle priest (to deprive me of lifelink), and in response I Abzan Charm and give +1/+1 counters to my Tuskguard Captain and my Hooting Mandrills. It was a BIG CITY BLOWOUT (™) So even though I lost my lifelink, i cleared my opponents entire board leaving me free to win the next turn (whew!)

So that was enough for twentysomething prize packs, in which I opened a Windswept Heath, and another flooded strand!

Tomorrow my FLGS is hosting a weird "KTK Invitational" which has a $100 entry fee, and is capped at 16 people allowed to register in total. the $100 entry fee gets every person 1 of each clan pack from Khans (So everybody gets 25 boosters +5 seeded packs) and with that pool we have to make a 60 card deck. It sounds really weird and interesting and it will probably just be everybody playing 5-colour good stuffs and maybe one or two people making a 1-2 colour aggro deck and trying to slip in under the 5-colour durdle decks. My plan is to open 13 Arrow Storms and hope for the best! Either way for 16 people my FLGS owner is putting 4 booster boxes in prizes up!

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
Went 4-1 with Abzan. First two matches were against slloooooowww playing newbies, winning 1-0. Third round I switched in for a blue splash because I was bored - got two of those unblockable monk dudes, Abomination of Gudul and a Sultai charm. Wound up switching one of two kill shots out for a crippling chill. Abzan pool was OK - got the reach and flying outlasters, the khan, one lifelink morpher, and the high watchers of whatever. I also pulled two of the scales combat trick.

Abomination of Gudul is a goddamn house, since every turn they don't answer it screws them. Best play of the night was last round - opponent outlasted with longshot archers while I had high watchers and abomination out. I swung with the abomination solo, let him use his scales to untap his dude, then crippling chilled it. Got the damage through, and the two cards I got let me dig deep enough for a sultai charm to deal with the archers for game.

Got 4 m15 packs and 2 Khans in prizes, got Soul of Theros, Urborg, the weirdass blue legend and the Chain Veil (ugh) in prizes, as well as Heralds of Anafenza and delvey McMurderdemon in the Khans. No fetches, but I'm not bitching. :toot:

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I got a bit pissed off at this one guy at the store. He's in his 40's and takes games pretty seriously, running foil goyfs, bobs, Lilliana's and Zen fetches, and calling his decks pieces of poo poo whenever they lose.

Every single person who opened fetches, he was pushing them really hard to sell them to him. He'd start by offering 10 bucks, then if someone said no, he offered 15 or more, and kept pushing them to sell. He kept waving a twenty at this one 14 year old girl who'd only been playing about 3 weeks, who opened a foil polluted delta. I finally told him, "dude, she said no, and you're starting to come off a bit creepy." He glared a bit, but backed off.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I saw a bunch of people making bids on a Foil Polluted Delta at my pre-release but they averaged $60+ in value and when the kid said no they backed off for a while at least. Final offers where made just before we left, still met with refusal, but were followed by advice to store it somewhere safe and sit on it for a few years.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

kizudarake posted:

I got a bit pissed off at this one guy at the store. He's in his 40's and takes games pretty seriously, running foil goyfs, bobs, Lilliana's and Zen fetches, and calling his decks pieces of poo poo whenever they lose.

Every single person who opened fetches, he was pushing them really hard to sell them to him. He'd start by offering 10 bucks, then if someone said no, he offered 15 or more, and kept pushing them to sell. He kept waving a twenty at this one 14 year old girl who'd only been playing about 3 weeks, who opened a foil polluted delta. I finally told him, "dude, she said no, and you're starting to come off a bit creepy." He glared a bit, but backed off.

Well drat, that undermines the story I came to post, but here goes.

Small intro, I'm playing at a place I've only been sporadically due to being in other parts of the country, and a bunch of us had been going to a LGS that is shut down between locations for a few months. One of my mates mentions not wanting to play one of the locals as he made plays very quickly and without declarations, which caused problems with responses and such. I actually played him in the last round for first place, seemed mostly fine except he managed to tear two barely used KMCs shuffling my deck, and he seemed pretty indignant when I pointed out things he missed, like how Sorin's +1 works.

Second event yesterday was 2HG sealed. Fun for most sets, fun for Khans even, but man a lot of draws. I was sitting out, I only tried looking for a partner a few days ago and my best bet couldn't make it, but I get to watch friends in a couple of teams build interesting paired decks. A couple of buddies take a lighthearted approach to events like this, and like to engage in low-level mischief. One of them came up with cutting the opponent's deck, taking the top seven cards face down and handing them over, then just putting them back on top if told you can't do that and presenting the deck, that sort of thing. They go against the guy above in the second round, and set out some life dice, something like spin-downs on 9 and 13, a D8 on 3 and a D6 on 5, just to be silly. Next time I come over, this dude is flat out accusing my friends of cheating and time wasting, furiously insisting he wasn't upset. Now, I can confidently say that if he'd said the dice situation was confusing and asked they switch to a more conventional arrangement, that would be it, joke over. My friends response involved abandoning established norms on battlefield layout, going for a fairly freeform arrangement of land and creatures etc. I think the next time I came over one was explaining how a forest worked, laying it upside down to favour the opponents, and one indicated the stack of sleeves now representing life totals. The other dude's partner was pissing himself.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't know if this is a Pro Tour Hall of Fame privilege or something, but Brian Kibler brought a little pomeranian to the event and it just ran around the store trying to get petted by players. It was weird.

This is not Pomeranian privilege it is dogs are awesome privilege. Any store that does not allow adorable/awesome dogs in it is a store you should not play in.

I went Jeskai, the deck was actually pretty decent, but I kept running into big fat creatures my conditional/tempo removal simply couldn't deal with. I played a temur deck that just thrashed me, although I was able to three for two him with act of treason and high kick.

My promo was Master of Pearls, and the foiling on that card is awesome - each individual pearl is foiled out.

Edit: oh holy poo poo apparently my foil Deflecting Palm has a 10x premium. Normal is $1.20, foil is $10 at TCG mid. :stare:

Boxman fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 21, 2014

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

As per our LGS norm, yesterday was solo prerelease and today is 2HG. We're considering going abzan/temur. Sharing only a single colour should offer more black-and-white choices for deckbuildibg I think, and they're both colours we'd like to play. Thoughts?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Had a good time at the prerelease. Everyone was going on and on with how slow the format was, but any mardu deck would be stacked from the seeded pack and ought to have been able to go under most other decks while they fart around with morph then 5cmc unmorph and dumb poo poo.

No good rares in the 1:1 but got the datestamped temur khan during 2hg, which I have to hope will be the rarest foil of him? Let's hope he takes off in edh!

We did have one good rules interaction that I'm sure I'm right on but had to argue and argue:

Player A targets B's one fatty with a kill spell. B casts Force away on his own creature to save it. Does he get to loot?

I say no. Unlike many of the other ferocious cards that say 'instead' you just do the steps one at a time. Once you get to the loot sentence, the if is no longer true.

This came up at the event I judged. No, you do not loot. This is the only Ferocious spell (that I am aware of) that can cause you to lose Ferocious midway through resolution so it is a bit weird.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Boxman posted:

Edit: oh holy poo poo apparently my foil Deflecting Palm has a 10x premium. Normal is $1.20, foil is $10 at TCG mid. :stare:

Early in a set's print lifespan, foils usually command higher premiums, because they are very scarce and a lot of the people who buy foils want to pick them up ASAP. This is especially true for EDH- & cube-only playable cards.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I went 3-1-1 with the only straight Sultai deck in the room and actually the only one I have heard of yet. i did get a pretty silly pool, featuring 2 copies of Sidisi (1 promo) and 3 copies of Sultai Charm (1 foil). I played a 46 or so card deck just so I wouldn't deck out too fast from my self-mill cards. My fixing wasn't great so I played mostly BG, only needing blue for my tricolor cards and Treasure cruise. The game plan was trade early, get out Sidisi, and kill their relevant creatures (or play Incremental Growth, which is a dumb card) . I did have some trouble dealing with large multicolor creatures, which sucks, but what can you do.

The deck:
Opulent Palace
Thornwood Falls
Dismal Backwater
7 Forest
6 Swamp
4 Island
Temur Banner

Disowned Ancestor
2 Highland Game
Smoke Teller
Mardu Skullhunter
Heir of the Wild
2 Sidisi, Brood Tyrant
Sidisi's Pet
Sultai Flayer
2 Abomination of Gudul
2 Hooting Mandrills
2 Woolly Loxodon
Shambling Attendants

Debilitating Injury
Rakshasa's Secret
3 Sultai Charm
Scout the Borders
Incremental Growth
Throttle
Treasure Cruise

I frequently sided in Disdainful Stroke and Awaken the Bear.

Match 1 was vs. Mardu.
Game 1 my opponent ran me over with Spire Mantis and Butcher of the Horde and a good curve. Sultai Charm's weakness became apparent.
Game 2 he didn't get red mana until late and I beat him with Incremental Growth (on Sidisi's Pet, among other things).
Game 3 I countered his Mantis, Throttled his Butcher, and Charmed his Albaster Kirin, and the rest of his creatures were not really relevant compared to Sidisi and her Zombies. He also had Crackling Doom in his deck, but it wasn't that great since most of my creatures were 3 power.
1-0

Match 2: vs everything but red.
Game 1 opponent played Seeker of the Way into some other guy into Sorin, and I couldn't stop it before he went ultimate. Sorin is totally ridiculous by the way, his ultimate happens like 2 turns after you play him, and the fact that his +1 lasts until your next turn makes it very hard to attack him.
Game 2 the opponent had a slower hand and I drew removal. He eventually drew Sorin late but I countered it and he wouldn't have been good at that point anyway.
Game 3 the opponent flooded out and I didn't, so he got a face full of Apes, of the regular and Zombie variety.
2-0

Match 3: vs 5 color morphs.
Game 1 opponent hit me with Villanous Wealth for 5, which let him play Scout the Borders and Rakshasa's Secret, but kind of whiffed by also hitting two expensive Delve guys and a land. Still a three for 1! He had like every common morph, most of the uncommons, and a ton of fixing, but what actually killed me in our stalled board state was Mystic of the Hidden Way. I literally could not draw a removal spell to save my life.
Game 2 I played Sidisi early and cast Incremental Growth, making a 6/6 Sidisi and a 6/6 Hooting Mandrill. He bounced Sidisi and gave the Ape a Debilitating Injury. I attacked the Ape into his Efreet Weaponmaster and when he blocked I had Sultai Charm on the Injury
for the blowout.
Game 3 we both mulliganed. He had a turn three morph which flipped up into the 3/2 unblockable guy. I didn't have green so I couldn't deal with it. I actually made a huge misplay this game. I had sided in Lens of Clarity and had it out, but forgot you could look at the top card of your library. So I cast Rakshasa's Secret, milling the Forest I needed and should have known was there. I still might not have won, but as it was the game wasn't even close.
2-1

Round 4: vs Abzan.
Game 1 my opponent got out Sorin and mostly just beat me by using his +1 and attacking with Longshot Archer, and having enough creatures to keep Sorin around.
Game 2 I had turn 4 Sidisi. I removed anything that could block her and got a Zombie every single time I milled myself. It was pretty great, I had like 4 or 5 Zombies by the end. It helps that the opponent had almost no multicolor creatures, only 3 Abzan Guides that rarely showed up.
Game 3 was a little close, only because the opponent had Duneblast so I had to beat him before he hit 7 lands. I had turn 4 Sidisi, and a Mardu Skullhunter actually hit Sorin because he was so useless at that point in the game. On the last turn of the game, with the opponent at 6 lands and 7 life, I drew Throttle, which let me beat his facedown Abzan Guide and get in for enough damage to kill him.
3-1

Round 5: vs. Mardu
We split to get top 8, but played anyway for fun.
Game 1 opponent was mana screwed for a while with only three lands, while I played a bunch of big rear end Delve guys. Then later in the game the opponent flooded as expected, and I won with some crappy 3/5 or something.
Game 2 I played really poorly by trading a facedown Abomination of Gudul for his War-Name Aspirant. I got Jedi mind-tricked pretty bad, opponent basically just tapped his guy and motioned to put it into the graveyard and I took the bait. The Abomination would have won me the game through looting if I had let it live, since I flooded out pretty hard.
Game 3 was pretty grindy, just the way I like it. We were both down to one or two cards in hand, so I got to cast Treasure Cruise for 1 mana into Sidisi.

Good cards:
All tricolor cards were great. Sidisi can be pretty high variance, since sometimes you hit all your best cards and just draw land, but that could happen randomly without her. She was strong but not overpowered. Sultai Charm is either amazing or depressing depending on what your opponent has out. Abomination of Gudul is the biggest nonrare flyer on the field 95% of the time, so I'd say it's strong.
Woolly Loxodon was really good, though 6 mana to unmorph is a big step up from 5. Sometimes with morphs, two facedown creatures will knock into each other, and then you and opponent flip them up to see who wins. Woolly Loxodon wins. A 6/7 is so much bigger than everything else in the format.
Disdainful Stroke won me at least 2 games. I wish I had had better fixing to support blue
Treasure Cruise and other Delve cards were great, since I wasn't doing anything with those cards in my graveyard anyway.
Highland Game was way better than I expected. Trading early and gaining some life is exactly what Sultai wants out of a 2-drop.

Underwhelming cards:
Bitter Revelation just did not work out. I didn't want to pay 2 life, I didn't want to spend all of turn 4 drawing cards, and I didn't need it to fill my graveyard. Maybe if I didn't have so many other Delve enablers it would have been more useful?
I had Icy Blast in my pool but this was not the right deck for it. In Temur its the nuts, though.
Smoke Teller was a Grizzly Bear. I feel like there is better stuff to do with your mana every turn until turns 7 or 8.
Kheru Bloodsucker was pretty awful for me. It was like a morph that never flips up into something better.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Went 1-2 and 1-1-1 with Jeskai and Mardu respectively. When I didn't have mana issues (and of course sometimes it wasn't even color, just ordinary lack of lands), the games were either blowouts in my favor (largely due to my opponents getting screwed) or quite close.

With Jeskai, I originally tried to splash green for Savage Knuckleblade, Bear Punch, and Temur Charm. I had Rattleclaw Mystic and a Banner, but I realized that without dual lands, it just didn't work after game 1. My promo was Thousand Winds, which was pretty cool though a bit expensive, and I opened a serious bomb in Wingmate Roc. The rest of the pool was a few decent prowess creatures, a few combat tricks, and removal.

Standout cards- Feat of Resistance is a perfect combat trick. It grows your creature to let it kill something it shouldn't have, gives it protection so that it sticks around, and leaves it permanently bigger.

Rattleclaw Mystic is fantastic. It ramps you from 4 up to 6, serves as a colorless fixer, and if you're green is just a 2-mana ramp/fixer. Excellent. Mardu is the only clan that might not want it. Abzan uses only one of its colors, but since it's green it's just a better Golden Hind, which is still plenty good.

Wingmate Roc- I don't think I really need to explain this one.

With Mardu, I just built a solid aggro deck. I could have freely splashed green off about 6 taplands, but there wasn't anything worth splashing. I opened Utter End as my promo, and built a deck with 3 Ponyback Brigades, a Chief of the Edge, and a High Sentinels I never drew. Match 1 went to time, and in retrospect I might have been justified calling a judge for slow play, but it's a Japanese store and my Japanese isn't good enough. Ah well. Match 2 I just had a good curve and overran my opponent with tokens. Match 3 was against another Mardu deck. I found out the dude I played Match 1 got friggin' Sarkhan in the prize pack he got from that match (I got a Sultai Ascendancy) and he just beat me up with High Sentinels. I almost had him, but he topdecked an Act of Treason to steal a big dude I had just played to win. I would have won if I hadn't played it, but I'm not sure that it was the wrong call.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Lets Pickle posted:

Good cards:
All tricolor cards were great. Sidisi can be pretty high variance, since sometimes you hit all your best cards and just draw land, but that could happen randomly without her. She was strong but not overpowered. Sultai Charm is either amazing or depressing depending on what your opponent has out. Abomination of Gudul is the biggest nonrare flyer on the field 95% of the time, so I'd say it's strong.
Woolly Loxodon was really good, though 6 mana to unmorph is a big step up from 5. Sometimes with morphs, two facedown creatures will knock into each other, and then you and opponent flip them up to see who wins. Woolly Loxodon wins. A 6/7 is so much bigger than everything else in the format.
Disdainful Stroke won me at least 2 games. I wish I had had better fixing to support blue
Treasure Cruise and other Delve cards were great, since I wasn't doing anything with those cards in my graveyard anyway.
Highland Game was way better than I expected. Trading early and gaining some life is exactly what Sultai wants out of a 2-drop.

Underwhelming cards:
Bitter Revelation just did not work out. I didn't want to pay 2 life, I didn't want to spend all of turn 4 drawing cards, and I didn't need it to fill my graveyard. Maybe if I didn't have so many other Delve enablers it would have been more useful?
I had Icy Blast in my pool but this was not the right deck for it. In Temur its the nuts, though.
Smoke Teller was a Grizzly Bear. I feel like there is better stuff to do with your mana every turn until turns 7 or 8.
Kheru Bloodsucker was pretty awful for me. It was like a morph that never flips up into something better.

Smoke Teller fulfills the exact same role as Highland Game. I really like all the 2 power 2 drops in this format, so Smoke Teller is awesome. Its activated ability is a joke, but that doesn't make it a worse card.

I'm surprised Bitter Revelation didn't work out for you when you had Sidisi in your deck. She's so much worse if you don't have additional self-mill, since her actually being able to attack safely seemed super difficult.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Did anyone play or encounter much five colour? I the sealed format and with the amount of fixing it seems somewhat attainable to get a good spread of colour access. The draw I had yesterday was against "Five-colour Jeskai", Jeskai creatures for the most part but spells in all colours setting off Prowess. I think I heard he won a game off Villainous Wealth at one point. The stolen spell/s were immaterial, his two creatures getting +6/+6 off prowess less so.

I found myself really "getting" morph, beyond the ones where triggers are attached to them flipping, which is really valuable. I hope enough morphers make it to constructed play that you can't always guess what they are.

Also, there should have been a bit on the clan checksheet for announcing "it's morphin' time!"

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
You guys and your Abzan. I went Temur, my pool was good enough so I played it. I had Surrak as my promo (this is going for $30 on ebay?) Hooded Hydra, and Wooded Foothills, and some decent dudes. An icefeather avian, the 5/5 trample morph, some red removal etc. I beat a Mardu aggro deck handily, an Abzan deck that did not do a lot, a 4 color RUGB deck that was to stretched imo to make it work (he kept showing me like oh man 3 more turns and it would have done something!) and then in the finals I played a Temur deck that splashed black. It was very similar to my build, he had a few more fatties and the unblockable blue guy. That was my only loss, 3-1 got 4th split with the guy I played last round so we each took 8 packs. Pulled a savage knuckleblad and bloodstained mire, so I'm happy. $22 for pre-release ended up with 14 packs and 2 fetches out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

BizarroAzrael posted:

Did anyone play or encounter much five colour? I the sealed format and with the amount of fixing it seems somewhat attainable to get a good spread of colour access. The draw I had yesterday was against "Five-colour Jeskai", Jeskai creatures for the most part but spells in all colours setting off Prowess. I think I heard he won a game off Villainous Wealth at one point. The stolen spell/s were immaterial, his two creatures getting +6/+6 off prowess less so.

I found myself really "getting" morph, beyond the ones where triggers are attached to them flipping, which is really valuable. I hope enough morphers make it to constructed play that you can't always guess what they are.

Also, there should have been a bit on the clan checksheet for announcing "it's morphin' time!"

The guy across the table from me during deck construction said he was going 5-color, I didn't play him but I he was at one of the higher tables by the end of the day. The closest I came was against a Jeskai deck in the final round that splashed green for Surrak and black for Crackling Doom, he had a couple of banners and a ton of new-refuges so it's definitely doable.

Did anyone else run with Quiet Contemplation yesterday? I nearly left it out of my RUG deck but it did a ton of work for me with only a few spells, I could see it being a great thing to include with Delve cards.

• Locked thread