Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Armchair Calvinist posted:

My bench vise is a piece of poo poo and broken and I need a new one. Any suggestions under $120? (Including Craigslist) Are Craftsman vises any good?

The biggest and heaviest you can find would be best, the old ones are some of the best, I have a smaller one that says made in England that weighs a good 40-50 lbs and it's been in the family for decades, drat thing has been abused to Hell and back by me and my father and works perfectly.

Craigslist would be the best bet I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Astonishing Wang posted:

Check this out - I have a regular 12v adapter from this company and it's pretty good quality and an easy install.
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...sb+port+bluesea

I built my own from russian amphenol plugs and usb chargers for about half the price of theirs.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Armchair Calvinist posted:

My bench vise is a piece of poo poo and broken and I need a new one. Any suggestions under $120? (Including Craigslist) Are Craftsman vises any good?

My opinion is that new vises are absolute poo poo unless you pay upwards of $300. Buy an old Wilton "bullet" vise from the 40's-50's and you'll never have to buy another again. I have a huge one that must weigh 80 pounds and it has put up with so much abuse. I paid $10 at the scrapyard for it and had to use prybars and a scissor jack to open the jaws, but after a quick restoration it is great.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
drat, that is a vice that looks like it will survive a nuclear bomb.

My Lil Parachute
Jul 30, 2014

by XyloJW
I see your Wilton, and raise you an Australian Dawn Offset Vice

Please excuse terrible iPhone photography.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I had trouble finding the last round of brake line flaring tool chat. I recall the best option was an 'in-line' flaring tool. Any recommendations? I'll be running 3/16" Copper-Nickel.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My Lil Parachute posted:

Holy gently caress!

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Why in the living gently caress can't we get moderen vises as good as the old ones were. How goddamn hard could it be.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

R-Type posted:

Why in the living gently caress can't we get moderen vises as good as the old ones were. How goddamn hard could it be.

Something about not being profitable enough to stay in business.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

thebigcow posted:

Something about not being profitable enough to stay in business.

Vices and anvils, yeah, that is the actual unfortunate reason. :(

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

My Lil Parachute posted:

:gizz:

e: probably easy enough with modern manufacturing to mass produce really nice vises, but lovely ones probably make more money

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

StormDrain posted:

I had trouble finding the last round of brake line flaring tool chat. I recall the best option was an 'in-line' flaring tool. Any recommendations? I'll be running 3/16" Copper-Nickel.

I got the OEM branded one from Auto zone. I think Amazon carries one that does more than just 3/16 though. Either way it is way, way easier than à bar clamp style.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

StormDrain posted:

Just ordered this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/oes-24364

I'll report in here how it goes. Fingers are crossed.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That is exactly the same OEM inline flaring tool I have and here I am to say it rocks and is worth way more than 25 bucks.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

That is exactly the same OEM inline flaring tool I have and here I am to say it rocks and is worth way more than 25 bucks.

This makes me very happy. I really didn't want to buy a flaring tool because I don't think I'll ever need it after this project, but for $22, I figure it will be worth not dealing with more bullshit bar-clamp types.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Looking at it again on a real computer, I'm pretty sure it's the exact same one I have as well. It's probably as close to the ungodly awesome Eastwood hydraulic setup as you can get, at a tenth of the cost if you only have one flare type / size you need to do.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

kastein posted:

Does it bubble flare?

Edit: Wait or is that what they mean by double flare?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Splizwarf posted:

Vices and anvils, yeah, that is the actual unfortunate reason. :(

Someone posted the whole story of American and English affordable vise companies like a hundred pages back if you want to look for it, including suggestions on where to find vise collectors and beg them to sell you something for a reasonable price.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Preoptopus posted:

Does it bubble flare?

Edit: Wait or is that what they mean by double flare?

Sadly, no. Double flares only. You could single flare with it but that is a suicide wish on a car.

People on car forums will say you can bubble flare with a double flare tool, usually by skipping a step... don't believe them unless you like your brake systems leaky and unreliable. If I need a line with a bubble flare on one end (I've never needed both ends bubble flared) I just buy the next length up preflared line with bubble flares, then cut the other end off, swap the bubble flare nut for a double flare nut, and double flare at the length I need.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

thebigcow posted:

Someone posted the whole story of American and English affordable vise companies like a hundred pages back if you want to look for it, including suggestions on where to find vise collectors and beg them to sell you something for a reasonable price.

Go on garage journal, that's where the vise collectors are... including myself. I've got six old American vises, and only my lovely Larin is booked to my bench. For shame for shame

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

sharkytm posted:

Go on garage journal, that's where the vise collectors are... including myself. I've got six old American vises, and only my lovely Larin is booked to my bench. For shame for shame

I'll buy one off you. I broke the last craftsman vice I got for my dad. It was the deisel big dick one too. I need some old american iron.

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?
Smoking deal on Vise Grip set (no vise grips):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000GR37WU/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=cm_sw_r_fa_dp_IWchub0JF34QP

Data:
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Irwin-Vise-Grip-2078712-GrooveLock-8-Piece/product/B000GR37WU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Slow is Fast posted:

I'll buy one off you. I broke the last craftsman vice I got for my dad. It was the deisel big dick one too. I need some old american iron.

I can get pictures in a few days, I've got a bunch that I should sell. How big do you want? I've got a bunch of smaller (3" and 4") vises, and only one monster, which could use some work.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

This makes me very happy. I really didn't want to buy a flaring tool because I don't think I'll ever need it after this project, but for $22, I figure it will be worth not dealing with more bullshit bar-clamp types.

Update: It just loving works. I'll probably end up redoing all the other flares too because it's so loving nice. So glad I bought it.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

sharkytm posted:

I can get pictures in a few days, I've got a bunch that I should sell. How big do you want? I've got a bunch of smaller (3" and 4") vises, and only one monster, which could use some work.

You don't happen to have a 4" wilton by and chance?

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Update: It just loving works. I'll probably end up redoing all the other flares too because it's so loving nice. So glad I bought it.

Flare tool chat: I didn't think to check this thread before placing an order for a flaring set, and of course I think of it after I've already ordered it. :downs: I just ordered this one. It seems to get decent reviews for the most part, but can any of you weigh in on it by chance? Seems like a decent deal for an inline set in all of the included sizes. Which is good, but also worries me a bit. :ohdear: I'll be using it for small-diameter stainless lines, at least for the project I'm currently trying to knock out.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

sharkytm posted:

Depending on what the huge one is and what you want for it, i'd be interested

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

the spyder posted:

You don't happen to have a 4" wilton by and chance?

Are Wilton on the "good" list? I assumed they weren't because they're still in business. :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Black88GTA posted:

Flare tool chat: I didn't think to check this thread before placing an order for a flaring set, and of course I think of it after I've already ordered it. :downs: I just ordered this one. It seems to get decent reviews for the most part, but can any of you weigh in on it by chance? Seems like a decent deal for an inline set in all of the included sizes. Which is good, but also worries me a bit. :ohdear: I'll be using it for small-diameter stainless lines, at least for the project I'm currently trying to knock out.

Looks like basically a larger set of the same style we all got, so I'd hazard a guess it will be good too. Basically all the two-bars-and-a-yoke style ones suck, and I'm willing to bet all the inline ones are decent unless they were made by total idiots.

e: I have a wilton sitting in my basement waiting to be cleaned up and put to work as my shop vise, it seems like decent quality. The Irwin I paid too much for at HD in 2009 is the "yard vise" (because it sucks) and next time I remember I'll be welding up a quick and dirty 2" hitch drawbar mount for it so I can use it for emergency repairs in the woods by slotting it into my trailer hitch.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

kastein posted:

Looks like basically a larger set of the same style we all got, so I'd hazard a guess it will be good too. Basically all the two-bars-and-a-yoke style ones suck, and I'm willing to bet all the inline ones are decent unless they were made by total idiots.

I thought so too. I've never flared a line in my life, and even I knew to stay away from those. I guess I'm just basically hoping that they didn't manage to poo poo up a proven, good design with lovely metal and sloppy tooling. Guess I'll find out :v:

Despite my dislike for the design, I looked at a couple of the two-bars-and-a-yoke style as well, and they all seemed to suffer from the same flaws...except maybe this one which places the pinch point for the yoke central to the tube you're flaring, instead of on the ends. Why they aren't all built like that, I have no idea (although it is 3-4x the cost of the standard lovely ones). I required the inline type though, because I'm going to be doing all of these with the lines installed. gently caress pulling them out just to trim + reflare them.

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?
I must be in the minority, because I have never had a problem with the two bar style brake flare tool, and I have flared hundreds of ends. Mine is one I bought at NAPA about 20 years ago for like $30. I have never bothered to look at the brand. Clamp tightly and it works very time.

I may buy a set of the inline tools if they are that awesome, though.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Mine worked, but pissed me off and I had to use a screwdriver to get some leverage on the wing nuts. The inline one Just Works though, and I only tightened the allen head bolts between the halves with an undersized torx driver because I couldn't find my allen keys. That was enough to impress me.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I was doing my sister's brakes and got stuck on a screw that doesn't want to come out. And, well, I started to strip it. I'm guessing I need a screw extractor to get it out? Any recommendations? I have a Home Depot and Menards near here, plus all the regular chain auto parts stores.

It was all going surprisingly easy up until that point, too. drat it.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Uthor posted:

I was doing my sister's brakes and got stuck on a screw that doesn't want to come out. And, well, I started to strip it. I'm guessing I need a screw extractor to get it out? Any recommendations? I have a Home Depot and Menards near here, plus all the regular chain auto parts stores.

It was all going surprisingly easy up until that point, too. drat it.

Was it a small aluminum screw that held the brake rotor to the hub? If so, those are only used for factory assembly purposes and not at all required to stop the car. Whack an appropriately sized chisel into the head and strike the chisel from angles that nudge the bolt/screw to thread out.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
I hope nobody plans on using their craftsman lifetime warranty for much longer....

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Counterpoint: Cheap tools at the going out of business sale.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

Counterpoint: Cheap tools at the going out of business sale.

Yeah. Don't forget that Kmart also carries Craftman products. Kmart/Sears tried to keep it under wraps, but there is another major round of closures headed this way, and this time, it's a death knell. They are going to start closing distribution centers, and they are trying to jettison Canada completely.

No modern store has a 7 day turnaround for restocking, but Kmart/Sears is working on it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sears owns k-mart. If When sears dies next year, k-mart probably will too.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

Sears owns k-mart. If When sears dies next year, k-mart probably will too.

Negative ghostrider, Kmart bought Sears. They made a huge mess of poo poo, but Kmart bought Sears for the Craftsman and Kenmore brand-names, and for Sears' Hoffman Estate HQ.

How much of a gently caress up do you have to be to be bought out by Kmart?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kmart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

InterceptorV8 posted:

Negative ghostrider, Kmart bought Sears. They made a huge mess of poo poo, but Kmart bought Sears for the Craftsman and Kenmore brand-names, and for Sears' Hoffman Estate HQ.

How much of a gently caress up do you have to be to be bought out by Kmart?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kmart

The "sears" that's bleeding to death is "sears holding corp" of which k-mart and sears retail stores are subsidiaries. K-mart buying sears is how it happened, but sears holding corp, which owns k-mart, is what is failing.