Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, the initial release didn't have a whole lot changed from the last leak. The game was rushed out because half the people interested were already playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

I Said No posted:

I've been thinking, you ever heard about the Mindcrack Games that were run on Minecraft? The premise is essentially the hunger games; all characters start at random places on the map in hardcore and PVP character modes, and from then on the last one standing wins. I've been wondering if that kind of thing could work in Terraria; just schedule a time then have the goons duke it out on a server. It could be cool!
You might get something like this working with TShock, but I doubt it. Certainly not with Terraria on its own.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Actually now that I think about it the jungle drop armor started as Cobalt armor, then was changed to Jungle armor, then later made craftable.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Zereth posted:

Actually now that I think about it the jungle drop armor started as Cobalt armor, then was changed to Jungle armor, then later made craftable.

So that's the joke about "ancient cobalt armor" and its ridiculous drop rate.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

There's a few others like that. Necro armor, for one. The old graphics compared to the new. I think they have identical stats and even work together in a set.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Aren't there still items in Terraria, to this day, that have obscenely low drop rates? Like the teleport item?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Aren't there still items in Terraria, to this day, that have obscenely low drop rates? Like the teleport item?

1.2 added a ton of them. Prior to that there weren't many things with sub-percent drop rates that weren't pointless stuff like ancient cobalt armor.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Looking at the wiki page there are a ton of items with a sub-1% drop rate. That said, most of them are either cosmetic or just a fun "hey you get to skip a few tiers of pickaxe/weapon" thing. The key molds are an arguable exception, but they do have a chance to drop off absolutely anything in a biome.

Also god drat rod of discord has a 1:500 chance to drop, that makes me even more annoyed that I got the lovely knife-hook instead before that bug was fixed.

Cicadalek fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 20, 2014

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Rod of Discord made the game 500000x better before it was nerfed, luckily you can still just mod out the debuff.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Speaking of modding, I will always wonder what this game would be like if it were as open to modding as Minecraft was.
An official modding API could have changed everything.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Speaking of modding, I will always wonder what this game would be like if it were as open to modding as Minecraft was.
An official modding API could have changed everything.

I remember trying to mod some stuff long time ago. Since the game is in C# it's not hard to decompile it (that's how TShock server got created I guess). It wasn't terribly difficult but the quality of the code was so loving bad I just wanted to cry.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Remember when the thread blew up cause the red cloud mod? Wonder what happened to that.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Still around, but I don't think it was ever updated to 1.2.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Cicadalek posted:

I'd say that you're now cursed to take forever to find a hook, but of course you can just make grapples out of gems these days.
It also came with the Strong modifier, so has 15% knockback, but I'm not sure what that means for summon damage, or if it means anything.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

It comes with instructions on how to temporarily downgrade Terraria with whatever that framework it used is called but that quit updating a few point releases ago. But really we all just realized how loving bullshit it gets the farther in you go and wandered off.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The sandbox mode was really neat, I thought, even if the adventure mode was progressively bullshit.
More importantly though, there's some really incredible stuff they did with modding that makes you realize what the engine's capable of: A lightsource that originates on the mouse cursor, effects triggered on player landing (shockwave, for instance), unique effects on a per-monster basis (an accessory that gives immunity to slimes, a weapon that does double damage to werewolves, etc), drops triggered or changed by equipment, items that can force blood moons, all sorts of rad stuff that's already possible. Just imagine with all the official changes what modding could be capable of. Also there was a mod that could make anything stack to like 25,000, and another that added extra inventory bags for storage AND automatic sorting.

That said, downgrading to play Red Cloud is incredibly frustrating, because all the quality of life improvements I've already learned to take for granted are gone.
Chests are half as big. Your inventory is one line smaller. Stacks are smaller. The inability to walk up 1-tile-high slopes alone killed my interest in re-trying it.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Vib Rib posted:

I think he did upgrade it to 1.2 eventually, but decided that it should become Literally Dark Souls instead of this cool themed map. Last I checked he was talking about Gwyn, Seath the Scaleless, and other such nonsense. I also believe he made it even harder based on user feedback.

Might be worth looking at for a laugh, if nothing else.

EDIT: No, you're right. I just checked the mod page and it's 1.1 Terraria only.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 21, 2014

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

He did add all that literally Dark Souls stuff, but yeah, only in the old version. Honestly, I really enjoyed Red Cloud up until... Oh, I'd say up until the last boss in Hard Mode. Everything he added after that (Super Hard Mode) was just complete and utter bullshit. Still a really great experience up to that point. I hear a couple other people are working on porting it to 1.2, but it's a massive undertaking so they say not to expect it anytime in the near future. Maybe they'll work on balance while they're at it.

I wonder why making Terraria adventure maps never caught on, even in the days of constant modding, when we even had a map editor. Seems like it'd be ripe for all sorts of cool adventures, but I guess people just never bothered.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Anyone familiar with TerrariaPatcher? We patched our server and in the process left the 'spawn limit' on 5, because that seemed like the default. But I think it patches the spawn limit to 5 in ALL situations. For instance we had a blood moon and it didn't seem like more monsters were spawning (default blood moon spawn limit is 11).

I changed the spawn limit to 10 just in case it effected all areas of the game.

For reference, the spawn limit changes depending on events and where your character is physically, 5 being the default for above ground at night in SC mode.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
Just turned the server off after backing up the files. You still want to host, teepot? I've compressed the server files into a single .7z archive so you should just be able to unzip and run it on the spot, assuming you're using Windows or an up-to-date mono on Linux.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

This game looks great, but be real with me: how's the grind? As someone who has never gotten into Minecraft because of how seemingly endless the grind for building and crafting materials appears to an outsider, I'm a bit reluctant to try and give Terraria a go.

If I pick this up, am I going to be spending most of my time grinding, crafting, and grinding some more, or can I actually expect to make progress at a decent pace?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Time_pants posted:

This game looks great, but be real with me: how's the grind? As someone who has never gotten into Minecraft because of how seemingly endless the grind for building and crafting materials appears to an outsider, I'm a bit reluctant to try and give Terraria a go.

If I pick this up, am I going to be spending most of my time grinding, crafting, and grinding some more, or can I actually expect to make progress at a decent pace?

There is next to no grind unless you want to do some extreme tier skipping or want a very specific end game item. Armour and weapons should come pretty naturally and you can find tons of chests with bars and weapons/helpful items. You should find plenty of low tier ores in the upper/middle layers and there's no absolutely insane crafting recipes until the mid/late game. Every rare drop is an extra gift from the RNG gods. :angel:

The only required grind I can think of is getting the adamantite/titanite forge, you need to look for 30 fairly uncommon ores in the deeper lava filled levels and a forge from the Underworld. But that's one of the very last armour sets you'll get by digging.

There's nothing required in Terraria that's close to the awful diamond grind in minecraft 1.0

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

Just turned the server off after backing up the files. You still want to host, teepot? I've compressed the server files into a single .7z archive so you should just be able to unzip and run it on the spot, assuming you're using Windows or an up-to-date mono on Linux.

Yep, I still want to host a game. I installed an SSD last weekend, and want to get working on it this weekend. If you can send the files to my Gmail @ peepotsa

Does anyone have any recommendations or requests?
Host the previous map? Start a new map?
Any plugins? I was thinking of World Refill to replace dwindling ores, World Edit, History to track and reverse damage, a chest mod so people can still find dungeon only items.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Spergminer posted:

There is next to no grind unless you want to do some extreme tier skipping or want a very specific end game item. Armour and weapons should come pretty naturally and you can find tons of chests with bars and weapons/helpful items. You should find plenty of low tier ores in the upper/middle layers and there's no absolutely insane crafting recipes until the mid/late game. Every rare drop is an extra gift from the RNG gods. :angel:

The only required grind I can think of is getting the adamantite/titanite forge, you need to look for 30 fairly uncommon ores in the deeper lava filled levels and a forge from the Underworld. But that's one of the very last armour sets you'll get by digging.

There's nothing required in Terraria that's close to the awful diamond grind in minecraft 1.0

That's really all I wanted to know and just about everything I hoped to hear. Thanks!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I just hope you don't want an Ankh Shield, though. Grinding for that thing is a nightmare.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Time_pants posted:

Keep in mind that these games aren't races. You shouldn't have too much issue finding enough ore fr regular use but if you want to do things like build a solid gold castle yeah prepare yourself for a lot of digging (or character file editing).

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Actually gold (and other ore) bricks in this game aren't that hard to come by. You'll likely end up with so much gold ore just by nabbing it when you see it you probably could get a solid gold castle.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Also you can get ore and gems from dumping slush and silt into a extractionator and from fishing up crates.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

PeePot posted:

Yep, I still want to host a game. I installed an SSD last weekend, and want to get working on it this weekend. If you can send the files to my Gmail @ peepotsa

Does anyone have any recommendations or requests?
Host the previous map? Start a new map?
Any plugins? I was thinking of World Refill to replace dwindling ores, World Edit, History to track and reverse damage, a chest mod so people can still find dungeon only items.

Yeah, I'll send em to you when I get home. Our old character database is included so if we want to continue with them you'll be able to reuse it.

As far as TShock plugins, here are a couple that look like fun:

Collective health - a single healthbar shared amongst the party, could be lots of fun with hardcore characters. Hardcore characters can be enforced through the same mechanisms as ServerSideCharacters!

History - allows rollback of tiles in the game, perhaps useful when a goon inevitably accidentally fatfingers some bombs in his or her house or in the rare occasion someone decides to be a jerk and blow others' stuff up.

Another suggestion I have is to use a map editor and adding some surprises to the world. For example, before I'd grown frustrated with the lag, on our next map I had been planning on flooding the entire dungeon with water and moving all the chests to the bottom without telling anyone, perhaps setting the tiles invincible as well.

I still think the game's too easy and would be down for things that would make it harder in some way, but I'm not sure how many options TShock plugins provide in that regard.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Let's not do the Collective Health. People forgetting they no longer have wings and going splat and killing everyone, sending our hard-stolenearned gold and platinum into the wind will just piss everyone off.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I'm gonna be the guy that makes a beeline for the dungeon and instagibs everyone via skeletron head :v:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm going to be that guy that jumps in the first water puddle they and just waits.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Put your bed in the dungeon. Auto skeletron head for everybody every few seconds:v:

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Okay, I sent the server files. Enjoy!

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Infinity Gaia posted:

I just hope you don't want an Ankh Shield, though. Grinding for that thing is a nightmare.

Currently working on mine. Obsidian shields are stupidly easy to get, but I only have about half the ingredients for the Ankh Charm. Somehow I can accidentally end up with stacks of bezoars and fast clocks without even trying, but no goddamn bandages or armor polish, no matter how long I grind. :sigh:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Mizufusion posted:

Currently working on mine. Obsidian shields are stupidly easy to get, but I only have about half the ingredients for the Ankh Charm. Somehow I can accidentally end up with stacks of bezoars and fast clocks without even trying, but no goddamn bandages or armor polish, no matter how long I grind. :sigh:

I literally only need a nazar. I've been sitting on all the other pieces but after playing a few hours just running around in a hardmode dungeon I just kind of gave up on the game.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

I've farmed for the Ankh Shield twice, now if I make a new character I just cheat myself it when I'm appropriately far because gently caress that.

At least the first time I had friends to give me their duplicate parts though, made it a hell of a lot easier.

Nimrod
Sep 20, 2003
Just got this game after hearing about it for a couple of years. So far it seems pretty cool. There's a ridiculous amount of stuff you can find and craft which should keep me entertained for a while.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Baron von Eevl posted:

I literally only need a nazar. I've been sitting on all the other pieces but after playing a few hours just running around in a hardmode dungeon I just kind of gave up on the game.

But Nazars are one of the two ingredients you can get before hardmode. Why not farm a dungeon in a non-hardmode world? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
In either case, I got bored of just sitting in dungeons letting poo poo come at me and die.

• Locked thread