Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Six coats? Jesus. Just cook with it, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Massasoit posted:

After putting 6 or 7 coats of seasoning on my pan, it looked pretty drat good. I cooked in it, and it seems like some of the seasoning on the cooking surface came off - and thats the only area it did. The seasoning on the walls of the pan and on the outside seems pretty good still. Not sure if I should strip it and start over again or just try to keep seasoning it - but right now it doesn't seem like anything is sticking to certain spots.

Any suggestions?

You put six coats on before you started cooking with it? Wow.

What did you cook in it? Cast iron takes a while to evenly warm up, so give it a few minutes at heat before you put stuff in, at least until you get used to it.

Just use the darn thing, and give it time. You'll be fine.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Massasoit posted:

After putting 6 or 7 coats of seasoning on my pan, it looked pretty drat good. I cooked in it, and it seems like some of the seasoning on the cooking surface came off - and thats the only area it did. The seasoning on the walls of the pan and on the outside seems pretty good still. Not sure if I should strip it and start over again or just try to keep seasoning it - but right now it doesn't seem like anything is sticking to certain spots.

Any suggestions?

You never need to strip it and start over unless its like, rusty. Just cook in it. Stay away from eggs or acidic stuff until you are more confident in the seasoning but other than that cook whatever all the time and it will only get better.

If it gets gummy or gross in parts scrub it with salt.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

JoshTheStampede posted:

You never need to strip it and start over unless its like, rusty. Just cook in it. Stay away from eggs or acidic stuff until you are more confident in the seasoning but other than that cook whatever all the time and it will only get better.

If it gets gummy or gross in parts scrub it with salt.

Do you use regular salt? I've always used Kosher, does a pretty good job.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I've cooked with it plenty previously. The issue is I'm mostly vegetarian so I do not cook meats that would contribute much to the seasoning which is why I wanted to set a seasoning before using it more. "Cooking bacon" isn't really an option for seasoning since its a meat I try to stay away from. The way in which it was peeling was strange, and I hadn't experienced anything like that before.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Even if you're not cooking bacon, cook with oil. The first time you season and then start cooking you're always going to get flakes because usually people are putting too much on. Just ignore it, keep cooking with oil. Those are the weak parts of the seasoning falling off while the sturdy parts stay on. Eventually it will all be sturdy seasoning.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Great. Thanks for the advice.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If the seasoning is peeling or flaking off, you put it on too thick. Once you wipe it on, you need to wipe everything off except for enough to leave a shine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Massasoit posted:

"Cooking bacon" isn't really an option for seasoning since its a meat I try to stay away from.
Cook a lb of bacon in it and then give it away as a gift to a meat-eater. That way everyone wins!

americong
May 29, 2013

I'm vegetarian and I use a cast-iron religiously - and the whole bacon thing is unnecessary, just cook oily food in it and all will come naturally.

RedChops
Sep 8, 2014
I've read somewhere that the preparation of bacon involves sugar, and thus will stick to not properly seasoned skillets. It cooks alright on mine, but it did stick initially for the first few batches.

I heard that salmon is really good for cooking in cast iron, since it's very fatty.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I find that when I cook some things in my cast iron, if I forget to use oil (or don't use enough), they leave a patch that doesn't look shiny like the rest of the pan. Most recently it was salmon cooked skin-side down. A couple uses later and there's no trace.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
I cook egg white omelets in one of my cast iron pans almost every morning. The seasoning looks like it came off, since its not black. At first it bothered me, but I never have an issue with them sticking so I stopped caring what the pan looked like and just use it.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

niss posted:

I cook egg white omelets in one of my cast iron pans almost every morning. The seasoning looks like it came off, since its not black. At first it bothered me, but I never have an issue with them sticking so I
stopped caring what the pan looked like and just use it.

Cast_Iron_Seasoning_and_Maintenance.txt

americong
May 29, 2013

can we edit into the op something about how "not destroying your seasoning with soap and wire brushes" and "not leaving your pan wet so it doesn't rust" are infinitely more important than getting a beautiful seasoning before you use the drat thing

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

americong posted:

"not destroying your seasoning with soap and wire brushes"

Soap is fine.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yeah, you just want to avoid soaking it for hours/overnight if possible.

A wipe on/wipe off type of soaping doesn't do anything to the seasoning unless it was lovely to begin with. However, a better to clean is just to bring water to a boil in the pan and then use a plastic bristled brush. Hot water loosens poo poo up like nobody's business.

And even better way to deal with stuck on food it is to just cook in it again later. Saute onions or something, because then you have a clean pan an you get to eat sauteed onions.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 9, 2014

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I think a fact that a lot of new cast iron owners miss is that the things are indestructible hunks of iron that will outlive any human currently alive, and they regenerate when you cook with them.

Even if you soak that poo poo in soapy water overnight and beat on it with a sledgehammer before soaking it in toxic chemicals, it'll still probably be ok to cook bacon with.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My family has a cast iron skillet that was used by my great grandma 50+ years ago that is indistinguishable from the new skillets I see in the supermarket. The thing is tough.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
Cast iron is actually pretty fragile as far as metals go. It's easy to break with a hammer and dropping it on a hard surface will also break it.

I broke one of these by dropping it four feet onto a wood floor.

Not my pan or picture

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Biscuit Joiner posted:

Cast iron is actually pretty fragile as far as metals go. It's easy to break with a hammer and dropping it on a hard surface will also break it.

I broke one of these by dropping it four feet onto a wood floor.

Did they snap off right along the 'made in china' stamps?

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
You cant stamp cast iron, it will break. Try to keep up with the rest of the class.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Biscuit Joiner posted:

You cant stamp cast iron, it will break. Try to keep up with the rest of the class.

The rest of the class must've been held back or something, then, because my ironware takes a beatin' and keeps on heatin'.

americong
May 29, 2013

I specifically meant soap and a wire brush at the same time, but whatever, details.

Hot water and a scraping is the best way to clean it in any case.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
I have a Lodge cast iron grill pan, and I can't seem to get between the ridges actually clean - I'll put a little oil on the entire pan, but even after scrubbing at it a bit, no soap, just a soft sponge, there is still some crud stuck on there. Any tips on how to get rid of that stuff, or should I really just clean it out and then try and re-season the pan? I should probably add it's a new pan, only about 3 months old.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a couple cast iron grill pans and I dislike them because of that. But when i do use them, I use a flat screwdriver to scrape in between the ridges. And boil off some water just before I do that.

And don't ever cook anything sugary on them (thinking mainly of items that were in a marinade with sugar).

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

I just leave crap in the troughs of my grill pan (after a rinse or quick wipe out) because typically nothing is touching the troughs while cooking anyway. I also leave it in the oven when it's not in use, so I figure poo poo's getting mostly burned off or at least sterile in between uses.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Zhent posted:

I have a Lodge cast iron grill pan, and I can't seem to get between the ridges actually clean - I'll put a little oil on the entire pan, but even after scrubbing at it a bit, no soap, just a soft sponge, there is still some crud stuck on there. Any tips on how to get rid of that stuff, or should I really just clean it out and then try and re-season the pan? I should probably add it's a new pan, only about 3 months old.

Lodge manufactures and sells these little guys for that.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have a couple cast iron grill pans and I dislike them because of that. But when i do use them, I use a flat screwdriver to scrape in between the ridges. And boil off some water just before I do that.

And don't ever cook anything sugary on them (thinking mainly of items that were in a marinade with sugar).

Was it Korean BBQ? It was Korean BBQ, wasn't it. That's what did me in for grill pans.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://store.finexusa.com/finex-12-cast-iron-skillet/

Jeez, $200 for this thing?

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
So I was over at my inlaws the other weekend. Went looking for a pan to cook some eggs in and ran across two of her old cast iron pans. drat, those things were like a completely different beast than any of my lodge stuff. They were literally as smooth as glass, so much different than anything I have. I don't know what brand they were, they didnt have any name on them.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Was it Korean BBQ? It was Korean BBQ, wasn't it. That's what did me in for grill pans.

I believe it was. Never again.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

niss posted:

So I was over at my inlaws the other weekend. Went looking for a pan to cook some eggs in and ran across two of her old cast iron pans. drat, those things were like a completely different beast than any of my lodge stuff. They were literally as smooth as glass, so much different than anything I have. I don't know what brand they were, they didnt have any name on them.

http://blackirondude.blogspot.com/2008/05/old-cast-iron-vs-new-cast-iron.html

blackirondude posted:

The smoother surface is a result of the superb iron ore that was found near Lake Erie and also the machining that is no longer done to save on labor expense.

Link has a nice picture showing the difference between old and modern pans.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

I was mildly interested in the pan, but a lot of the internet cast iron folks said you could pay someone to carefully mill out a lodge pan and build up a seasoning from there. I imagine there is conflict as to this point (just like everything in the cast iron world), but if the milling did work it would be far less than 200 bucks.

Who gives a poo poo about the shape, for instance.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Biscuit Joiner posted:

http://blackirondude.blogspot.com/2008/05/old-cast-iron-vs-new-cast-iron.html

Link has a nice picture showing the difference between old and modern pans.

I may be wrong here, but I think the smoother surface on old stuff is a result of the fact that modern manufacturers don't polish the pans anymore, as a cost saving measure.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

phthalocyanine posted:

Lodge manufactures and sells these little guys for that.

I got these on Amazon for my Lodge grill pan and they do the trick. Just be sure that the pan is decently cool before trying it because they melt kind of easy. Seems obvious but you know... I did this.

Question on cleaning, aside from discarding excess grease/fat from the pan if there's not really any gunk or left over food on the pan should I brush it off or can I just leave it as is? I've been cleaning it (water and a brush) after use and then rubbing Crisco on once dry but I'm wondering if that's why I'm not building a seasoning very quickly.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Brush is fine. You're not building a seasoning quickly because they don't build quickly. A good seasoning takes time.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

What I do is wipe the excess oil/fat/grease mostly out with a paper towel, throw it back on the burner until it just starts to smoke, then take it off the heat and wipe the rest of the oil out. That way you get a little polymerization action each time you use the pan.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
What sort of brush do you want? I keep going thru sponges which my life partner throws away because they get messed up after cleaning my cast iron. I have a metal brush for my grill but I assume that isn't appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Darth Windu posted:

What sort of brush do you want? I keep going thru sponges which my life partner throws away because they get messed up after cleaning my cast iron. I have a metal brush for my grill but I assume that isn't appropriate.

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but any sort of plastic-bristled dish washing brush is fine for your cast iron - the tougher the plastic the better. Could even be a vegetable/potato brush. It really doesn't matter, just don't brush the pan while it's still 400F+.

Whatever you use, it's easiest to keep it dedicated to your cast iron.

• Locked thread