Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Anyone have a problem where trying to download from the App Store just turns the buy/download button into an infinitely spinning activity indicator and nothing more?

Tried signing in and out of the App Store, rebooting, etc with no results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
Does iPhone Safari not have inertial scrolling? It feels awful. I can get smooth scrolling in Mercury browser or on iPad Safari for example, but not on iPhone.

Also, does anyone else's Reachability randomly not work? I have to turn it off and then on again for it to work.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
yup. reachablity died for me yesterday

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Another Poster posted:

Also, does anyone else's Reachability randomly not work? I have to turn it off and then on again for it to work.

I've found I have to tap it slower than I'd anticipate. I can't tap-tap, I have to tap-pause-tap.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Agronox posted:

I've used mobile phones "naked" for like a decade now but I'm going to get a case for my 6. I like it, but it feels like it has the perfect amount of slipperiness and size to go flying out of my hand at some inopportune time.

Is it the new design/material of the phone that makes it feel that way or is it the size that makes it feel less secure? I don't use a case on my phones either, so having to make that change will be interesting.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ShoogaSlim posted:

Understood. But I don't want to have to unlock my phone to do actions with Siri.

I was in bed the other morning using "hey Siri" to send a text and then when I got a reply I asked Siri to read the message but I needed to unlock the phone. Counterintuitive for when I'm being lazy and don't want to move.

But yeah, I should be able to use my thumbprint in the App Store without needing to keep a passcode on.

That's actually a good security feature, as Siri doesn't distinguish between peoples voices (unlike the always on voice feature of Motorola phones).

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

RhoA posted:

Is it the new design/material of the phone that makes it feel that way or is it the size that makes it feel less secure? I don't use a case on my phones either, so having to make that change will be interesting.

A bit of both, for me, but primarily the latter. The center of gravity for the 6 is much higher in my palm than the 5s, so it feels much less secure in my hand.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

DarkestLite posted:

Do you never fear the phone falling out of your shirt pocket? The few times I tried having my phone there, anytime I'd bend over more than like, a 30 degree angle, it felt like it would shoot out of my pocket as soon as possible.

Not really, and I spend an awful lot of time bending down as I'm a primary school teacher and the desks are really low.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Agronox posted:

A bit of both, for me, but primarily the latter. The center of gravity for the 6 is much higher in my palm than the 5s, so it feels much less secure in my hand.

Thanks. If it's primarily the size, then I'm going to have to look into a case as well. The 5 was just about the right size for my hands, but I still had a few close calls where I almost dropped it, so the 6 is going to be tough.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Went to the Apple store to buy a case today. Black silicone on my 6 feels nice. I went naked for a long time with my 5 (started with a bumper then removed it) so we will see how long I keep this one on too. I bought it because while using my phone yesterday I kept feeling like it was too slippery in my hand. The silicone adds just a little bit of tack so I don't feel that anymore.

On a inventory note, the store was out of all 6 leather cases except the pink one (looks more like gold in person) and only had black and red silicone. I got to the store about 10 minutes after they opened and there was already a line of about 200 people on standby for the phones themselves. While browsing the store I overhead a couple employees say they were already out of phones for the standby people.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Reporting on my purchase: the Monoprice $6 polycarbonate case is slim, but feels solid. Good fit and good cutouts.

I think I'd prefer something with a bit of a raised lip so I could place the phone screen-down without the glass touching a table, but this thing retains that nice rounded glass feel.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'm buying a used iphone with remaining Applecare- I don't need to do anything to transfer the Applecare, right?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Does anyone know if there's a way to get the calendar to display events beyond today on the today screen? I get that it's the "today" screen but it's pretty drat useless if I want to look at it before bed. Alternately is there a third-party app that will do it? I dropped $7 on Calendars 5 because it gave the impression that it would but it only shows today's events as well.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Snowy posted:

I'm buying a used iphone with remaining Applecare- I don't need to do anything to transfer the Applecare, right?

If I remember correctly, AppleCare covers the device and not the person, so no need to transfer anything there. Just make sure that they unregister the device with Apple so that it isn't tied to their Apple ID.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

prom candy posted:

Does anyone know if there's a way to get the calendar to display events beyond today on the today screen? I get that it's the "today" screen but it's pretty drat useless if I want to look at it before bed. Alternately is there a third-party app that will do it? I dropped $7 on Calendars 5 because it gave the impression that it would but it only shows today's events as well.

I'm liking the Agenda+ widget.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

ShoogaSlim posted:

Understood. But I don't want to have to unlock my phone to do actions with Siri.

I was in bed the other morning using "hey Siri" to send a text and then when I got a reply I asked Siri to read the message but I needed to unlock the phone. Counterintuitive for when I'm being lazy and don't want to move.

But yeah, I should be able to use my thumbprint in the App Store without needing to keep a passcode on.

I agree, I really wish this was the case. My big problem is if I want to swipe on a specific notification on the lockscreen, I can't without entering the passcode (which I hate). And I can't even make the passcode delayed.

I would like to be able to use Touch ID for apps, app store, and apple pay and nothing else. Sigh.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zero One posted:

On a inventory note, the store was out of all 6 leather cases except the pink one (looks more like gold in person)...

As someone who ordered the light pink case online thinking that it looked more gold than pink, I disagree.

...I'm still using it in the meantime but I feel like I've borrowed my wife's phone.

Actually on a related note can I return the case I bought online at the an Apple Store? Or do I have to send it back?

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE
You can take it to the store.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

Anyone have a problem where trying to download from the App Store just turns the buy/download button into an infinitely spinning activity indicator and nothing more?

Tried signing in and out of the App Store, rebooting, etc with no results.

Turned out "Reset All Settings" solved this, at the annoying expense of resetting all my settings.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Sounds like Apple doesn't sell the CDMA versions of the 5S or the 6 unlocked/standalone (like they do for the GSM model)? Having a hard time figuring out the situation with that.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Cozmosis posted:

I agree, I really wish this was the case. My big problem is if I want to swipe on a specific notification on the lockscreen, I can't without entering the passcode (which I hate). And I can't even make the passcode delayed.

I would like to be able to use Touch ID for apps, app store, and apple pay and nothing else. Sigh.

Bingo. If I have multiple notifications and want to unlock to a specific one I don't want to swipe then unlock. Touch ID being all or nothing is pretty lame. I don't need to have a lock on my phone. If someone steals it I can just remote wipe it or something. It's not worth the extra half a second over the course of three billion unlocks over the life of the phone.

Unrelated: how come switching to slow motion video mode in the camera seems to absorb WAY less light than a regular photo? There may be something about the way it renders I don't understand but is there actually a reason for this? If I'm not outside in direct sunlight I can't really attempt to record anything slowmo.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Anyone else having issues with the 3rd party keyboards coming up but not accepting any input? It happens quite often and its super annoying.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bitprophet posted:

Sounds like Apple doesn't sell the CDMA versions of the 5S or the 6 unlocked/standalone (like they do for the GSM model)? Having a hard time figuring out the situation with that.

I'm pretty sure that the GSM and CDMA versions are one and the same.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

ShoogaSlim posted:

Bingo. If I have multiple notifications and want to unlock to a specific one I don't want to swipe then unlock. Touch ID being all or nothing is pretty lame. I don't need to have a lock on my phone. If someone steals it I can just remote wipe it or something. It's not worth the extra half a second over the course of three billion unlocks over the life of the phone.

Unrelated: how come switching to slow motion video mode in the camera seems to absorb WAY less light than a regular photo? There may be something about the way it renders I don't understand but is there actually a reason for this? If I'm not outside in direct sunlight I can't really attempt to record anything slowmo.

Slow mo at 240 frames per second requires very short exposure in order to capture the frame. Try 120 fps and it may be marginally better.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Just plugged in my 128GB iPhone 6+ and started the restore process. 15 hours? Is this normal?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

ICHIBAHN posted:

yup. reachablity died for me yesterday

Just noticed that this happened on my 6 as well.

And toggling the setting does not seem to restore it. Restarting the phone seems to have fixed it.

shodanjr_gr fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 21, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

arbybaconator posted:

Just plugged in my 128GB iPhone 6+ and started the restore process. 15 hours? Is this normal?
What/why are you restoring? Just set it up as a new device.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

fleshweasel posted:

I'm pretty sure that the GSM and CDMA versions are one and the same.

The Verizon 5s and 6 are the same as the GSM for AT&T and T-Mobile. The Sprint one is a special snowflake model that's otherwise for SoftBank in Japan.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Whirlwind Jones posted:

What/why are you restoring? Just set it up as a new device.

Apple's backup system is insanely good and why wouldn't you restore?

This constant "set it up as a new device" poo poo is getting to be as bad as advising people to close all their apps all the time.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

DarkJC posted:

Because it's apparently going to take 15 hours.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
still encountering a problem since upgrading to ios8 (happened on my 5, now happening on my 6): when I have my ringer on, and i get a text, the ring tone goes off incessantly. like, no matter I press, it doesn't stop ringing. anyone experiencing this?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

DarkJC posted:

This constant "set it up as a new device" poo poo is getting to be as bad as advising people to close all their apps all the time.

It's a good way to clean up apps you never use off a phone. I guess you could take it personally though :shrug:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ICHIBAHN posted:

still encountering a problem since upgrading to ios8 (happened on my 5, now happening on my 6): when I have my ringer on, and i get a text, the ring tone goes off incessantly. like, no matter I press, it doesn't stop ringing. anyone experiencing this?
What exactly do you mean here? How long is your text tone? I've never used anything other than the simple ding it defaults to.

If you're talking about it repeating the alert after like 30 seconds or a minute or whatever, that's a setting in the Notifications>Message area. Repeat alerts>Never.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It's a good way to clean up apps you never use off a phone. I guess you could take it personally though :shrug:

I'm not sure what gave you the impression I'm taking it personally? If it works for you that's great, just like sometimes you have to force close an app. But the general reaction to someone restoring their phone shouldn't be "why would you ever restore your phone?" because quite frankly it saves a lot of setup time, app data, and typically works very well.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

arbybaconator posted:

Are you restoring from an iCloud backup or local backup? I could see iCloud being slow at times, but local ones should be quicker. It could be the overall size of the restore image too, like going from a near full 64gb to another device.

Anecdotally, I just restored from a local 32gb iPhone 5 backup and it took a few minutes to do the basic stuff, then a while longer to restore purchases. Those were all backed up locally which avoided touching the App Store for anything. I also cleared off photos when I installed iOS 8 so the restore didn't require multiple small file transfers.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The leather cases feel and look nice.

Always knew you were a leather man

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

ShoogaSlim posted:

There's a setting in the Touch ID & Passcode section that you can turn on to allow message replies without unlocking.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

The time lapse feature in ios8 is pretty cool, tried it at a gig and it came out looking pretty hilarious.

http://youtu.be/uiWg-mprX4k

Thank you timb

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

arbybaconator posted:

Mine said that too but I was able to use the phone after about 15-20 minutes.

The whole restore did take like 15 hours so my apps and pictures loaded in slowly over the course of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

awesome-express posted:

The time lapse feature in ios8 is pretty cool, tried it at a gig and it came out looking pretty hilarious.

http://youtu.be/uiWg-mprX4k

Thank you timb
How does it work? I played around with it a little bit on the beta but it seemed weird. Does the screen stay on the whole time? Doesn't it kill a lot of battery taking a fairly short video?

I mean I understand how you could build a powered rig for actual overnight type shoots with it, but the whole concept seems weird with a phone.