Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Someone should recut Generations so that the entire Patrick Stewart Christmas Carol is Picard's fantasy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

Sash! posted:

Someone should recut Generations so that the entire Patrick Stewart Christmas Carol is Picard's fantasy

Wowbagger2004 posted:

Literally every ludicrous fan fiction idea for improving Generations is way better than what we got, god drat.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cythereal posted:

Then again, the whole Kirk vs. Picard argument is silly anyway. Sisko is clearly the best captain of the franchise. He even was the lead designer on his own ship.
I guess perhaps Sisko was simply less famous. DS9, while a far better product, seems to have been less an element of popular culture than TNG was.

e: Alternately his tenure as a commander of a space station colored people's opinions, and his relatively low rank cast a shadow on his career, in the eyes of the fans.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Also because Kirk vs Picard was a thing from before DS9 was a thing which gave it legs.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Sisko vs. Archer vs. What'shername?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nessus posted:

I guess perhaps Sisko was simply less famous. DS9, while a far better product, seems to have been less an element of popular culture than TNG was.

e: Alternately his tenure as a commander of a space station colored people's opinions, and his relatively low rank cast a shadow on his career, in the eyes of the fans.

Are you suggesting something about white male computer nerds of the 1990s and their ability to perceive certain colors, or people who were colored in some specific way?

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

I would say this was timely, but with the amount of time this thread spends describing How to Fix Star Trek Generations it could have been written any time in the last 20 years and been timely.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Replace the nexus scene in Generations with the TV miniseries Moby Dick starring Patrick Stewart. It makes it flow into First Contact better.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

Replace the nexus scene in Generations with the TV miniseries Moby Dick starring Patrick Stewart. It makes it flow into First Contact better.

Worf's promotion is onboard the Pequod. Knew it.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Barlow posted:

The fact that Kirk didn't die heroically in starship combat in the captains chair of the Enterprise, with the bridge in flames around him, has always seemed like a shame. You have one shot to kill off the second most iconic character in the franchise and you waste it on him falling when trying to find a remote control seems really stupid. They should have decided on a heroic death for Kirk and written the script from there.

I kind of like the idea that Kirk's death is totally non-dramatic and non-grandiose. It shows that Kirk is ultimately still human, and he's just as fallible to the laws of physics as any other character. This time his plot shields went down to 0% and he died. That's it. It balances out all the other times our hero(es) survive a dangerous encounter by sheer luck.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Sash! posted:

There is a Kirk-less version of Generations floating around the net.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Kingdom posted:

There is a Kirk-less version of Generations floating around the net.

Star Trek: Generation

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Subyng posted:

I kind of like the idea that Kirk's death is totally non-dramatic and non-grandiose. It shows that Kirk is ultimately still human, and he's just as fallible to the laws of physics as any other character. This time his plot shields went down to 0% and he died. That's it. It balances out all the other times our hero(es) survive a dangerous encounter by sheer luck.

Don't trick yourself into thinking this was intentional.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
My new favorite star trek picture

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Odo never quite did get the hang of humanoid faces.

Also, from last page, confirming that The Visitor is a terrific episode of sci-fi.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Don't trick yourself into thinking this was intentional.

Well I never had any strong feelings about Generations as a whole to begin with so it's not like I'm desperately trying to rationalize it to myself.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Voyager episode 12 - Someone actually wrote an episode where Chakote gets his soul knocked out by aliens that is also half The Thing in space.

Voyager episode 13 - Human B'lanna is actually pretty cute. Also more of those stupid phage aliens and their magic medical technology.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Oh God they made Dargo cry and it made me want to cry :smith:

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel
D'argo succeeds much better than Worf at the whole being Worf thing. It's nice to have a badass warrior race dude who just wants to farm, raise a family and chill out and isn't too into the entire macho warrior race thing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Barlow posted:

D'argo succeeds much better than Worf at the whole being Worf thing. It's nice to have a badass warrior race dude who just wants to farm, raise a family and chill out and isn't too into the entire macho warrior race thing.

He also has good news to tell you at weddings

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

bobkatt013 posted:

He also has good news to tell you at weddings

Also he's your daddy

CaptainQuirk
May 9, 2009

Nessus posted:

I think a lot of it comes from people being upset about it being set on static space station and not on space ship like the other shows.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Barlow posted:

It's nice to have a badass warrior race dude who just wants to farm

Worf can farm, he just chooses not to.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Barlow posted:

Worf got ten times better once DS9 got into the whole 'Klingon Weeaboo' thing and the implication that he's actually just dour because he's a Russian.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Rewind to the Enterprise D on the ropes, things seem hopeless again, when the Enterprise (no bloody A, B C, or D) comes out of the nexus, Kirk is at the captains chair.

But Kirk destroyed that ship in Search For Spock so it would make a paradox!
:goonsay:

As much as I like confirming that most fanfiction is better than Generations, whenever we do this I almost want to see if I can go through and pick out which episode/movie each person's idea was lifted from but then I fear it would make me nerdy enough that I'd have to beat myself up.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MikeJF posted:

Worf got ten times better once DS9 got into the whole 'Klingon Weeaboo' thing and the implication that he's actually just dour because he's a Russian.

See look they just can't stop stealing from Babylon 5!!!

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Drive-by Q Mariachi attack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBTRp80Q64U

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If they wanted to explore some family concept, they should have made it so Picard realizes his family is the Ent-D and her crew.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Sash! posted:

Worf can farm, he just chooses not to.

Except when it is used in a martial metaphor, about defeating time.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

twistedmentat posted:

If they wanted to explore some family concept, they should have made it so Picard realizes his family is the Ent-D and her crew.

Maybe it's just me, but this makes it sound a lot like Event Horizon.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

See look they just can't stop stealing from Babylon 5!!!

As corny as some of those were, I always giggle at the 'expanding Russian frontier' joke.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

twistedmentat posted:

The problem with this scenario is that it implies that once he retires from Captaining, he'll basically be some old relic who dies alone

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 22, 2014

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The problem with this scenario is that it implies that once he retires from Captaining, he'll basically be some old relic who dies alone

All Good Things....

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

DemeaninDemon posted:

All Good Things....

I was just imagining what my life would be like if my co-workers were my only family. In fact, most characters in Star Trek shows have very few relationships outside their immediate co-workers.

Bruiser
Apr 4, 2007

by Shine
Are the Titan books good? We've got a long car ride coming up, and I was going to get the first two for the trip.

Edit: These would the the audio version. If not those, then someone recommend where to start?

Bruiser fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 22, 2014

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

The episode with his brother was amazing, though.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
Been watching the first season of TNG on BBC and it's surprising how ambitious the show originally was.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Iowa Snow King posted:

Been watching the first season of TNG on BBC and it's surprising how ambitious the show originally was.

don't you mean weird and lame

edit: I love TNG and I would have cancelled it after the first season

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I got watching Farscape and now I want to grow up to be a Peacekeeper.

Aside from the weird bondage guy and Captain Overreaction, they're not that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Well, other than the fact that they are literally fascists who dress entirely in black with red accents and believe the other races are disgusting and not as awesome as they are and wage military campaigns to crush non-sebacens.

I mean, I think the SS had sweet suits, but I wouldn't want to be a literal Nazi :v:

• Locked thread