Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Fun facts: admiral Rickover, the father of the nuclear fleet, realized in the late 1940s military reactors had to as safe as possible or else the public would never let them keep them if an accident occurred. Because of his drive for reactor safety the US navy has had no reactor accidents or leaks of radiation into the environment despite two submarines imploding below their crush depths. :eng101:

Former submariner here (though a non-nuc crewmember). It's interesting how Rickover permeates the submarine Navy's culture. Rickover was an obsessive megalomaniac who built a cult of personality around himself...

...which, weirdly enough, was exactly what was needed to develop a coherent and consistent nuclear safety culture without having an accident or two to drive home the importance of it (cf: the SUBSAFE program in the wake of the Thresher disaster. We had to wait until a loving submarine was lost with all hands to implement a robust QA program.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

I just realized we were talking about Cosmos. You realize NET doesn't write the script, right?
Even if he didn't write any of it, he's responsible for being the spokesperson. He gives the script the weight of his reputation.

That said, I am finding computer parts' posts to be a lot of citation needed words.

Come in here with a lot of Catholic Persecution and That Never Happened in China and the onus is on you to prove it. Don't just bring it up and leave it there. So much of history is interpretation and myth, but some is quite incontrovertible (insofar as any history can be.)

NDT is not only accomplished but he's also charismatic and a minority who has risen to a level of esteem I haven't seen since Sagan (which goes without saying since he was the host of Cosmos).
His enthusiasm for science and exploration notwithstanding, I am willing to entertain the likelihood that he makes mistakes in judgement.
On the other hand, if you're going to swagger into D&D and throw down those kind of claims, it's pretty lazy to merely take it for read that we know wtf you're on about. Link something, at least.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

On the other hand, the Navy did lower Jimmy Carter into a nuclear reactor in partial meltdown.

Clearly a wimp who needed to be booted out in favor of someone who played a cowboy in movies. I sometimes think that the GOP is allergic to actual valor. Like how you can end up liking an artificial flavoring more than the real thing.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Hodgepodge posted:

Clearly a wimp who needed to be booted out in favor of someone who played a cowboy in movies. I sometimes think that the GOP is allergic to actual valor. Like how you can end up liking an artificial flavoring more than the real thing.

Considering how badly they hosed over John Kerry during the 04 campaign, I'd say there's no debate on whether they are or not.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Can't forget Max Cleland, the triple-amputee Vietnam veteran and Democratic senator from Georgia voted out in 2002, can we?

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

People who witness the horrors of war first hand get too "emotional" about things.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Had the right ever trashed daniel inouye before?

That would be like the ULTIMATE rear end in a top hat move.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

FuzzySkinner posted:

There was plenty of "well, I guess he was ok as a war hero, but he was a goddamn bum (for 70 years!) as a politician" chatter while people were trying to make sure not too much legacy got polished at the funeral.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

FuzzySkinner posted:

I've been digging around the internets and apparently, no. Even FREEP can't find bad things to say about him. The worst things were along the lines of "well he probably should have retired and not died in office at 88 but whatever, dude was a bro" and "well I didn't agree with him but he's still a drat hero."

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

beatlegs posted:

People who witness the horrors of war first hand get too "emotional" about things.

Now we have ISIL putting the nitty gritty on youtube. Kids these days think they know it all but they are really victims of the evil internet, they should stick with :foxnews:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

FuzzySkinner posted:

I was going to do a little digging myself, but I saw that ToxicSlurpee already did some searching, so good enough.

Also I found out that this exists, which is much cooler than anything Freep could say about Daniel Inouye:
http://www.badassoftheweek.com/inouye.html

From what I can tell, that's not too much of an exaggeration of what actually happened; Inouye was loving awesome.:allears::getin:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 21, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dr. Faustus posted:

Come in here with a lot of Catholic Persecution and That Never Happened in China and the onus is on you to prove it. Don't just bring it up and leave it there. So much of history is interpretation and myth, but some is quite incontrovertible (insofar as any history can be.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Divergence#China

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Hodgepodge posted:

Ninjasaurus posted:

Considering how badly they hosed over John Kerry during the 04 campaign, I'd say there's no debate on whether they are or not.
This. It makes me so sad. Conservative coworker: Jimmy Carter was a coward. Total, 100%, complete piss-yourself nobody empty-suit crybaby craven fool.
All I can think about is the hostage crisis. I was young, but I remember the way they talked about how many days the hostages had been imprisoned, every day on the news and the radio. It was omnipresent. Obama succeeded in getting Bin Laden. Carter dared to extract the hostages but he failed.

He didn't get elected to a 2nd term, but Reagan won and now we know the Faustian deals he made to get there.

It makes me ill.

Thanks, I will try to learn from this.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 21, 2014

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Axetrain posted:

Fox news is currently complaining that the guy who jumped the White House fence wasn't shot dead by the secret service and instead merely apprehended. Apparently the guy who arrested him didn't open fire because the guy wasn't carrying a weapon, which means of course that white house security is poo poo for not just murdering the guy. It's really really dumb.

But what if he had a BOMB?! :twentyfour:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sir Tonk posted:

But what if he had a BOMB?! :twentyfour:

What if he had EBOLA and his plot was to bleed all over the white house?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It always gets me when people claim that like, Obama's a coward because he isn't declaring the wars they want him to declare. Like hey guys the president isn't going to fight in any war anyway. No matter what happens he's going to live a cushy life.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Tender Bender posted:

It always gets me when people claim that like, Obama's a coward because he isn't declaring the wars they want him to declare. Like hey guys the president isn't going to fight in any war anyway. No matter what happens he's going to live a cushy life.

Why isn't Obama following the example of James Madison and boldy confronting the British as they march on Washington IS as they march on Baghdad.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Tender Bender posted:

It takes real guts to send people off to die knowing that grieving parents may say some rude things about you on television.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

PeterWeller posted:

It takes real guts to send people off to die knowing that grieving parents may say some rude things about you on television.

It takes real guts to continue an execution even when there's doubts as to the man's guilt. From what I can tell Conservatives are really big on staying the course no matter what new information might be introduced.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Can't forget Max Cleland, the triple-amputee Vietnam veteran and Democratic senator from Georgia voted out in 2002, can we?

You mean Max Cleland, supertraitor?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

GAYMIEN SANDOW posted:

It takes real guts to continue an execution even when there's doubts as to the man's guilt. From what I can tell Conservatives are really big on staying the course no matter what new information might be introduced.

Well, as we all know, changing your mind about any issue, ever, is a sign of weakness.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Well, as we all know, changing your mind about any issue, ever, is a sign of weakness.

And it takes real guts to never show a single sign of weakness. :v:

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

ToxicSlurpee posted:

This is mainly when it comes to killing. If it has to do with anything that doesn't involve serving lethal justice to mortal enemies then changing your mind is perfectly fine, as long as everybody else is doing it (as per instruction).

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

beatlegs posted:

This is mainly when it comes to killing. If it has to do with anything that doesn't involve serving lethal justice to mortal enemies then changing your mind is perfectly fine, as long as everybody else is doing it (as per instruction).

I never changed my mind. You abandoned the shared values* that used to give us common cause.

*the President was white

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Oblammo is always wrong. Saint Reagan was always right. You can agree or you can be so stupid I'm shocked you know how to breathe.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Oblammo is always wrong. Saint Reagan was always right. You can agree or you can be so stupid I'm shocked you know how to breathe.

And now we've looped back all the way around to Reagan was the worst thing to happen to America since the Civil War.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm all-too-familiar with terms like "Nobama," and "0bama." My conservative coworker calls hims "Osama."

But can anyone tell me where "Oblammo" came from and what it "means?"

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

It doesn't mean anything. It's childish people who simply refuse to call him by his name, so even if it doesn't make sense they have to make some stupid nickname out of his name.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
See also: Obummer, Obongo.

I don't get where the hell Barry Soetoro came from, though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolo_Soetoro

It ties in somehow with the various kenyan/indonesian birther conspiracy theories somehow but I'm not going to attempt to trace that kind of illogic.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It all just means friend of the family at the end of the day though.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I don't think anything's going to top Obi Wan Nairobi as far as nicknames go.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Venusian Weasel posted:

That's legit creative, though, in a racist kind of way. 'Obongo' has no such redeeming features.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Venusian Weasel posted:

Never heard that one! I think I'll use it.

Just remembered something, different topic:
Here in NC I had a knock on my door yesterday afternoon. A 26-year-old African-American woman was at my door with a lanyard around her neck that hung a "Planned Parenthood" ID. Of course, it was pink.

She was canvassing votes for Kay Hagan. I invited her in, told her I am aghast at the poo poo our GA has pulled and the nation-wide attack on reproductive rights, and that I was absolutely voting in the next election, and she could count on me.
Then my girlfriend let herself in, she lives in the apartment downstairs and across the hall from mine, and she was on the girl's list.
The young lady from PP had tripped and torn her new jeans and hurt her knee, so I offered her a couple aspirin to help her complete her day. She'd already been called a baby-killer before she came to my place. My girlfriend and I both signed her pledge and sent her on her way doing her good work.
Sadly, she told us that many of the younger people who agreed with her politics said outright they didn't plan to vote this year. That wasn't entirely unexpected, but it still made me sad.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Many of you share workplace stories that are similar to idiots of Facebook however id like to share a random encounter just outside my house. I planted a bunch of margiolds because they grow like crazy and are pretty. They really grew this year and several people have said they liked them, randomly. Total strangers. Yesterday a guy stops and asks if they were hybrid or did i go them from seed? No less than 30 seconds later im hearing all the leaning in to tell you this "unbelieveable" thing you didnt know stuff. Then montsanto. Then america and he loves it but there are secret plots to take away everything he loves. He noticed my daughter in a i tx tx shirt i bought in austin. Oh, texas huh, the things theyre doing to poor rick perry down there..Luckily she ran away and gave me an excuse to leave as well. He kept on shouting as i walked away about look up this one website. Probably some infowars nonsense.

All because I planted marigolds.

And I only said i bought them from home depot.

MasterControl fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 21, 2014

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I just noticed a neighbors car (beat up old Caddy) has an Infowars sticker in the back window.

I'm strongly tempted to make up either a small QR or barcode decal and stick it in a corner of the window. See how long it lasts.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

MrUnderbridge posted:

I just noticed a neighbors car (beat up old Caddy) has an Infowars sticker in the back window.

I'm strongly tempted to make up either a small QR or barcode decal and stick it in a corner of the window. See how long it lasts.

Makes me wonder if deal extreme or something makes a small plastic box where all it does is have a flashing red light.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Dr. Faustus posted:

Oblammo is my doing. I started it to make fun of Republicans and all that Obongo and Obummer nonsense. It's always so negative so I tried to put a less negative spin on it. Imagine Obama presenting something amazing and being all "Oh yeah, BLAMMO! You're welcome, America!" and it will make more sense.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Axetrain posted:

Fox news is currently complaining that the guy who jumped the White House fence wasn't shot dead by the secret service and instead merely apprehended. Apparently the guy who arrested him didn't open fire because the guy wasn't carrying a weapon, which means of course that white house security is poo poo for not just murdering the guy. It's really really dumb.

Well obviously this is Obama's fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Whiteycar posted:

Makes me wonder if deal extreme or something makes a small plastic box where all it does is have a flashing red light.

You could easily whip one up with parts from Radio Shack.