Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Irish Joe, as I'm sure you're aware, you've cultivated a general aura of nastiness from your hit-and-run shiposts and shallow, often personal attack-based criticisms.

If you sincerely wanted to engender a constructive, considered conversation about feminism, or gender roles, or anything else, you'd have done better had you not begun by making a petty drive-by joke about another poster's personal sexual proclivities. As it stands, you raised no argument and certainly engaged in no "heroism".

You've got no reserves of "good faith" in this thread; I hope sincerely that that situation will change, but I'm not optimistic.

Just ignore 'im, Doctor What, he isn't worth more words than "you are a child without self-awareness" or better yet, a simple "Shut the gently caress up, Irish Joe."

I finished Pier Pressure the other day. I was expecting it to be more of a love letter to the comedian in the story (which it definitely was at the end), but it was mostly a lot of back-and-forth over mind control. Felt a bit padded, but it was an okay romp.

I also started the second "season" of Sarah Jane Smith (the Big Finish stuff, not the TV show) and I'm still not really feeling it. It feels as though they've changed the way Josh is characterized as well and they're already retreating some of the points from last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

This is totally random but Clara's outfit was a job interview outfit, not an outfit for a date. It'd be different if she'd just worn it to work and not on purpose for a romantic evening. Sheesh girl, I know you're beautiful but even you have to dress for the situation.

I actually liked this episode. It was refreshing to have the 'extra people that hang out with the Doctor and companion' to not die horrible deaths. That doesn't happen very often (or at least lately).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

ashez2ashes posted:

This is totally random but Clara's outfit was a job interview outfit, not an outfit for a date. It'd be different if she'd just worn it to work and not on purpose for a romantic evening. Sheesh girl, I know you're beautiful but even you have to dress for the situation.

Shrug, I wouldn't mind.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Bicyclops posted:

Just ignore 'im, Doctor What, he isn't worth more words than "you are a child without self-awareness" or better yet, a simple "Shut the gently caress up, Irish Joe."

I finished Pier Pressure the other day. I was expecting it to be more of a love letter to the comedian in the story (which it definitely was at the end), but it was mostly a lot of back-and-forth over mind control. Felt a bit padded, but it was an okay romp.

I also started the second "season" of Sarah Jane Smith (the Big Finish stuff, not the TV show) and I'm still not really feeling it. It feels as though they've changed the way Josh is characterized as well and they're already retreating some of the points from last season.

Didja work out who "Billy" was?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Didja work out who "Billy" was?

I usually read the Wikipedia entry for a story after I hear it, so I had a little help. That was a nice little reference. :unsmith:

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The reason the episode fell down, I think - and it did fall down - was that it completely half arsed the genre conventions. If you watch something like Ocean's Eleven the structure is:

1. Describe the security of the bank, get some people whose special abilities will help you. This is the majority of the film.
2. Do the break in which goes mostly smoothly (minus some small drama on individual jobs) with a twist at the end.

To me it felt like they were trying to make it more like Hustle, but they still sort of bungled it for reasons I can't quite think of. Besides it really lacking that "Wow, what a twist!" factor.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DoctorWhat posted:

You've got no reserves of "good faith" in this thread; I hope sincerely that that situation will change, but I'm not optimistic.

I wasn't aware good faith was a prerequisite to a free and open discussion. You're certainly free to think whatever you want about me, but let's be honest here: the only reason you won't address my substantive comments is because you know I'm right. Its a lot easier to shut down a discussion by telling a person to 'gently caress off' or saying they lack 'good faith' than it is to engage your middling intellect in an honest debate with someone who is both smarter and more articulate than you are.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Irish Joe's posts are art

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The line, "I hate the Architect" made me immediately think that it was the Doctor. It's like something the Dream Lord would have said. (Speaking of which, there's a character I'd love to see again, I love Toby Jones in that episode.)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Fil5000 posted:

The shadow proclamation being three people in a clean room with a desk was pretty much the biggest anticlimax it could be. Even considering that the whole thing was a throwaway line in Rose.

The sad thing is RTD had grand plans for that scene. Every monster, practical and CGI, that had been in the series at that point, and maybe even some classic monsters, were going to populate that scene. They had even contracted Anne Badland to voice the Slithleen, when he was told that they wouldn't be able to afford what he wanted to do.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Irish Joe posted:

I wasn't aware good faith was a prerequisite to a free and open discussion. You're certainly free to think whatever you want about me, but let's be honest here: the only reason you won't address my substantive comments is because you know I'm right. Its a lot easier to shut down a discussion by telling a person to 'gently caress off' or saying they lack 'good faith' than it is to engage your middling intellect in an honest debate with someone who is both smarter and more articulate than you are.

I'm not sure what you've been "right" or "wrong" ABOUT. I don't think I've yet raised any disagreement with you on any matter other than your petty insults. What are your actual POSITIONS, other than "jokes about posters"? What "substantive comments" do you think I ought to address?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Having just watched this week's episode, I thought it was really good but felt like it should have been a two parter.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

Having just watched this week's episode, I thought it was really good but felt like it should have been a two parter.

I can see that adding some character development but I'm not sure how you'd really sustain the tension of the story that long.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

I can see that adding some character development but I'm not sure how you'd really sustain the tension of the story that long.

Thought the characters could be developed more and I thought that the setting and premise was interesting enough (robbing a space bank) that they could have done more with it. Just my thoughts on it.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah. As much as I liked the episode, it would be nice if Moffat could tell a story without constantly jumping back and forth in time (narratively) for no reason. Doctor Who is not Sherlock, Moffat. Stop it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

The episode was rushed in all the wrong places and giving it a bit more breathing room, and maybe adding a character or two to the team to balance the extra time, would have helped.

Also, they really didn't need that memory wipe for the story. The twist was the obvious one and so clumsily done that I'm still not certain that it was actually intended to be a twist. I think it would have been a lot more entertaining to kick off the story with the Doctor at the head of a criminal organization...

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Jet Jaguar posted:

The line, "I hate the Architect" made me immediately think that it was the Doctor. It's like something the Dream Lord would have said. (Speaking of which, there's a character I'd love to see again, I love Toby Jones in that episode.)
When I heard that line I thought that "the doctor is the architect" was going to be revealed right then and there, since they might as well have had big blinking lights saying, "THE ARCHITECT IS THE DOCTOR." After that moment I was convinced the twist was going to be that the architect wasn't the doctor.

Speaking of twists that didn't happen, when the other two companions showed up again, I at first thought there was going to be something fishy, especially going by the doctor's reaction and their casual "Oh yeah it's not a disintegrator it's a transporter!" I thought they'd reveal that these were actually earlier versions of these companions who'd just had their minds wiped repeatedly, and they'd simply been told that they'd appeared wherever by transporting when they thought they were disintegrating.

So their timeline would be something like: get mind wiped and told they'd just transported in by use of what they'd thought was a disintegrator --> join up with the doctor and perform the latter half of the heist first --> get mind-wiped again --> perform the first part of the heist --> get *actually* disintegrated.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

ashez2ashes posted:

Yeah, normally I love her outfits. Do you think she picks them herself or it's all according to a fashion designer? Whoever it is has really good style

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

Thought the characters could be developed more and I thought that the setting and premise was interesting enough (robbing a space bank) that they could have done more with it. Just my thoughts on it.

Time Heist (Part I): The Doctor and Clara receive a mysterious phone call and must track down the three who will help them most in robbing the Bank of Karabraxos. After breaking the cybernetic human Psi out of prison, the group gains the trust of the mutant Saibra, and steals the DNA of one of the richest men in the galaxy.

Time Heist (Part II): yadda yadda pretty much the same episode with some modifications.

You could probably make the Architect reveal work still somehow, but I'm too lazy to think about it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm not sure what you've been "right" or "wrong" ABOUT. I don't think I've yet raised any disagreement with you on any matter other than your petty insults. What are your actual POSITIONS, other than "jokes about posters"? What "substantive comments" do you think I ought to address?

You do realise if you engage with the oval office we have have to put up with it, right?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I thought this episode was fantastic. It was everything I'd ask for from a Doctor Who episode, really. The two temporary companions were great, the "monster" was just the right blend of horrific and goofy, and a very nice plot and ending. It was a pretty fun ride all things considered. I think this really felt RTD as hell, with all the concepts it was freely throwing every minute.

On the next episode, the preview wasn't selling me at first. I haven't liked the Danny Clara dates/interaction very much so far - they seem needlessly overdramatic - but then they showed a brief glimpse at an utterly bizarre monster and again I'm sold on it. Again it's a great blend of goofy and threatening - some kind of nonsensical looking robot with a retro almost k-9 sounding voice yet it still manages to really sound like bad news.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah. As much as I liked the episode, it would be nice if Moffat could tell a story without constantly jumping back and forth in time (narratively) for no reason. Doctor Who is not Sherlock, Moffat. Stop it.

The only jump back was near the end. There was a jump forward after he picked up the phone but that was it.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

computer parts posted:

The only jump back was near the end. There was a jump forward after he picked up the phone but that was it.

I'm mainly complaining about the Clara/Pink scenes from the last couple of episodes.

Cut to Clara at home.
Cut to Clara spilling wine on Pink.
Cut to Clara checking her messages.
Cut to Clara calling Pink a baby killer.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ashez2ashes posted:

On the topic of the outfit, I believe this was the costume she was wearing in one of the early production photos which had everyone commenting on how much she looked like Lis Sladen, right?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

I'm mainly complaining about the Clara/Pink scenes from the last couple of episodes.

Cut to Clara at home.
Cut to Clara spilling wine on Pink.
Cut to Clara checking her messages.
Cut to Clara calling Pink a baby killer.

I actually liked that in Listen. We're following Clara's state of mind and seeing things from Clara's point of view throughout the episode, so it makes sense to show us things in terms of her thought processes. They even have a magic plot reason for it in that her thoughts are literally driving the TARDIS. She's thinking about her date and sort of learning to understand Pink's PTSD through the Doctor's weird panic attack.

Nonsequential storytelling is pretty standard in fiction anyways, I don't get why people pretend it's some kind of post-Lost era thing. It's certainly not exclusive to Sherlock.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Brett824 posted:

I wouldn't mind it if they at all backed it up or made the viewer actually feel like it was the most secure bank. To be honest, there were two security guards and a brain melting monster and that was about it for security.
I guess you could argue that a lot of the security features were negated simply because The Doctor is a time traveler, so he was able to use things (teleporters, cybernetic enhancements, shapeshifters) that just didn't exist when the bank did. It would be like robbing a (very secure for the time) medieval bank with modern tunneling equipment and dynamite.

And maybe the monster would have caught them a lot faster if it weren't for the memory wipe.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Guys. I finished listening to Davros on the train today. What a fantastic audio. Definitely right up there with Chimes of Midnight for me, I'll definitely be listening again.

Also I started listening to Terror Firma right after it (without knowing Davros was in it) and I almost got whiplash from how different (read: worse) he is written in that (so far).

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Speaking of two parters, is there any reason they decided not to really do any this season?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gordon Shumway posted:

Speaking of two parters, is there any reason they decided not to really do any this season?

I think they're actually planning for the finale to be a two-parter.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Gordon Shumway posted:

Moffat is against them now, he said there isn't a story you can't tell in 45 minutes.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

marktheando posted:

Moffat is against them now, he said there isn't a story you can't tell in 45 minutes.

Somewhere, George RR Martin angrily writes about lemoncakes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've heard it was an over-reaction on Moffat's part to criticism of the pacing in season six.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The pacing of season six was awful because, and this isn't a spoiler to any loving thing, IT HAD A HALF A YEAR GAP IN THE MIDDLE.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

The pacing of season six was awful because, and this isn't a spoiler to any loving thing, IT HAD A HALF A YEAR GAP IN THE MIDDLE.

A gap in a season doesn't affect the pacing of individual episodes. And, with the exception of the Melody plot between Good Man Goes to War and Let's Kill Hitler, the through-line season arc wasn't really affected by the gap.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

Irish Joe, as I'm sure you're aware, you've cultivated a general aura of nastiness from your hit-and-run shiposts and shallow, often personal attack-based criticisms.

If you sincerely wanted to engender a constructive, considered conversation about feminism, or gender roles, or anything else, you'd have done better had you not begun by making a petty drive-by joke about another poster's personal sexual proclivities. As it stands, you raised no argument and certainly engaged in no "heroism".

As someone who hasn't seen any Six stories, I just want to let you know that these posts make me want to watch some.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bicyclops posted:

I think they're actually planning for the finale to be a two-parter.

I thought the Jamie Mathieson eps were the 2-parter?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Metal Loaf posted:

I've heard it was an over-reaction on Moffat's part to criticism of the pacing in season six.

Pretty much this. Moffat didn't know how to handle "hey maybe Season Six had some off moments in terms of pacing" and went "Fine, you fuckers don't like two parters? No more two parters, dickweeds!"

because he is a petulant child, you see. But yeah, I think one two parter got past the shield this season.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

nuzak posted:

Yeah, normally I love her outfits. Do you think she picks them herself or it's all according to a fashion designer? Whoever it is has really good style

It's got to be the clothing department. They were probably just told 'heist outfit' and not that it was supposed to be a date outfit originally.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

ashez2ashes posted:

It's got to be the clothing department. They were probably just told 'heist outfit' and not that it was supposed to be a date outfit originally.

Maybe Pink has an English school girl fetish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

it's a nice balance between smart enough to make a good impression and casual enough to be relaxed. why would anyone be upset if your date turned up wearing that?

• Locked thread