Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

hehe. OK!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

KoldPT posted:

How poo poo is Pixel Piracy?

Skip it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

yegods posted:

Thanks, man, but still confused. I fresh installed Dragonfall, and already have the dead_mans_switch content pack. Should I copy over it, with the one from the Shadowrun folder?

The dead_mans_switch content pack contains a bunch of assets originally made for DMS which get reused in Dragonfall, which is why it's there.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

If you want to play DMS in the updated engine, sure.
Like Lemon said, that folder just has a few assets that are a holdover from the original game. But you can't play DMS without copying everything over.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ZearothK posted:

E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy is the game that art games should aspire to be.

This, but for Kane and Lynch 2

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Also Deadly Premonition.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

If you want to play DMS in the updated engine, sure.
Like Lemon said, that folder just has a few assets that are a holdover from the original game. But you can't play DMS without copying everything over.

Doesn't it mess with the existing files?

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Grey Elephants posted:

How do I make Divinity 2 DC not crash as soon as the launch credits stop :(
Disabling the second monitor fixed it for me

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Eruonen posted:

Doesn't it mess with the existing files?

Not really.
You're just copying and overwriting the exact same files + a little bit more as well as making the game register DMS as a playable campaign.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

How exactly do photorealistic skulls and fish fit into Millennium 4?

So the heroes are cartoons and on their quest they encounter giant hyperrealistic skulls that would be like 4 domensional aliens to us or something. Isn't this loving weird.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Palpek posted:

Making Sleeping Dogs 2 a F2P title is just an enormously idiotic management decision that everybody knows will flop except for the board of directors that is waiting for that sweet F2P money to start rolling in (lol). That was one great game and it's really sad to see its sequel go like this.

I'm reeeeeally eager for the F2P cash in idea to die. Literally every company sees the few examples that are Puzzles and Dragons or Candy Crush and immediately shifts their AAA development team to F2P games thinking they'll make millions a day in profits. Square Enix is especially late on the bandwagon but after blaming their most successful franchise game releases to date (Tomb Raider 2013, Hitman Absolution, plus Sleeping Dogs sold fantastic for a new IP) for "under-performing" last year they need another hail mary this year to convince stockholders the company isn't the next THQ.

I can picture the PP presentation being pitched to a room full of executives, listing the profits of Candy Crush and pointing out it was made a tiny company, so obviously a major studio with more money and marketing backing it could get triple those numbers. It's like that line in the facebook movie "Why make millions when we could make BILLIONS!" cue confetti cannons and dance music starts.

nodadchad
Feb 11, 2003

I am really enjoying Zombies Monsters Robots. Co-op action games are one of my favorite types and the only online multiplayer I can get into. It is very similar to games like God Mode, Gears of War (same dev team) and Warframe. I have not played the PvP yet and doubt I ever will but the PvE is super robust with four very distinct modes.

The movement is a little clunkier than most modern games but it is part of the mechanics. People are bitching about the weapon rental system, but honestly it doesn't bother me. You make enough Gold completing missions and objectives to keep a steady arsenal. The costumes and other flair items that can be purchased with real money are ridiculously overpriced though.

The game has a internal clan system if anyone is up for some slaughtering add me -> http://steamcommunity.com/id/bottled_water/

Fair warning, there are some major ping issues at the moment. For me, this has just meant an occasional 1 minute stretch where I am jumping all over the place. Developers have acknowledged and rectifying the problem. Hopefully soon. Other than that matchmaking has been very smooth and I have not had any trouble getting into a game.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

nodadchad posted:

I am really enjoying Zombies Monsters Robots. Co-op action games are one of my favorite types and the only online multiplayer I can get into. It is very similar to games like God Mode, Gears of War (same dev team) and Warframe. I have not played the PvP yet and doubt I ever will but the PvE is super robust with four very distinct modes.

The movement is a little clunkier than most modern games but it is part of the mechanics. People are bitching about the weapon rental system, but honestly it doesn't bother me. You make enough Gold completing missions and objectives to keep a steady arsenal. The costumes and other flair items that can be purchased with real money are ridiculously overpriced though.

The game has a internal clan system if anyone is up for some slaughtering add me -> http://steamcommunity.com/id/bottled_water/

Fair warning, there are some major ping issues at the moment. For me, this has just meant an occasional 1 minute stretch where I am jumping all over the place. Developers have acknowledged and rectifying the problem. Hopefully soon. Other than that matchmaking has been very smooth and I have not had any trouble getting into a game.

I've been looking for a PC game with something similar to GoW co-op for years. I'm kind of sick of all these zombie titles, but I'll give this a shot at least and see if I can get past it's seemingly "lol so wacky" marketing. The price is right, at least.

Edit: Does it have controller support at all?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

nodadchad posted:

For some reason, it's called Hazard Ops in Europe. Slightly less silly marketing, no less silly a game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvyHjFQ_odk

It's pretty fun, especially with friends, although it totally feels like an F2P asian knockoff of Gears of War. Which is pretty understandable, given that it's by the team formerly known as Epic China.

They're adding missions to it at a pretty impressive rate. Lots of co-op stuff to do. Not even touched the PvP stuff.

Edit: It looks like while you can bind some stuff to gamepad, it doesn't really work properly. Keyboard/mouse only.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 21, 2014

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Dead Man's Switch is pretty bad and should be ignored but if you own Dragonfall and haven't played it, why are you even considering not playing the DC instead? It's got a better engine, better UI and more content, it's a straight upgrade.

Never actually bought Dragonfall as it turned out! So I went ahead and picked up the director's cut, $15 is well within my "oh gently caress waiting for a sale" line. :v:

Anything I should know going in? I remember some vague talk that deckers kinda sucked in DMS, is that still true here? Decking was always my favorite thing to do in the (vastly superior to SNES :colbert:) Genesis version of the game.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

pentyne posted:

I'm reeeeeally eager for the F2P cash in idea to die. Literally every company sees the few examples that are Puzzles and Dragons or Candy Crush and immediately shifts their AAA development team to F2P games thinking they'll make millions a day in profits.

Okay, so going on a tangent to help an out of touch soul here (and opening a can of worms...), what's the deal with Candy Crush?

I've never played it but from what I can tell from screenshots, its just Bejeweled with a candy theme and a really predatory F2P mechanic tacked on? You can only try a level X times in a day or you can pay for another go. Do I have that right?

Why would anyone play that instead of Bejeweled?

The only F2P I've ever seen done right was Hearthstone, and that was Blizzard so I assume they know what they're doing. I've thrown a couple bucks (5 bucks total?) at it to get a few card packs but I've never felt like the experience is hindering me for not paying (or setting up pay walls to stop me from progressing).

Ciaphas posted:

Never actually bought Dragonfall as it turned out! So I went ahead and picked up the director's cut, $15 is well within my "oh gently caress waiting for a sale" line. :v:

Anything I should know going in? I remember some vague talk that deckers kinda sucked in DMS, is that still true here? Decking was always my favorite thing to do in the (vastly superior to SNES :colbert:) Genesis version of the game.

Its not that Deckers sucked. Its that they never had an opportunity to shine in DMS. To a lesser extent Shamans and their spirit summoning had the same problem. There just weren't enough opportunities in the environment to use the class specific abilities: In the case of Deckers hacking points, Shamans summoning points. If you picked a decker you were basically an OK shootymans who occasionally got a chance to shine every other mission.

Dragonfall fixes this. Almost every mission has a Matrix side mission built in where you can score additional pay data, hack open doors, take control of turrets. Tons of dialogue and keypad/chest/lock hacking opportunities too.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 21, 2014

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Ciaphas posted:

Nah, a decker's perfectly feasible. Doesn't hurt to have something to do in combat as well, though - a gun skill or some drones would be good to have alongside your decking.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They've got an obscene amount in their marketing budget which is utterly dwarfed by the income they're making. The game isnt anything special but they're now in general awareness and can just coast on poo poo and still make a ton. If only they had more marketable characters, like some kind of pissed off avian.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

No, you're fine to go with whatever. Decking is necessary in most missions but you get permanent NPC companions with actual personalities in Dragonfall, one of whom is a decker, so you can not deck if you want, or you can be a decker yourself so you can help him in cyberspace. There's also a pool of personality-less mercs to hire from if you have a skill gap in your party for some reason. You probably still want to grab a combat skill (and rigger is the obvious choice since it goes off the same stat as decking, plus drones are great).

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Palpek posted:

How exactly do photorealistic skulls and fish fit into Millennium 4?

So the heroes are cartoons and on their quest they encounter giant hyperrealistic skulls that would be like 4 domensional aliens to us or something. Isn't this loving weird.

It's by Adorlea games, the dudes who did Laxius Force. They put out nothing but lovely and bland RPGmaker games that have insanely obtuse puzzles designed to sell strategy guides.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Lance Streetman posted:

It's by Adorlea games, the dudes who did Laxius Force. They put out nothing but lovely and bland RPGmaker games that have insanely obtuse puzzles designed to sell strategy guides.

Don't forget creepy underage animu romances.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rookersh posted:

Hey guys remember Sleepy Dogs?

Well, news of Sleepy Dogs 2 will be coming out on Monday!

It's going to be a F2P online only PC game published by Nexon. Take guesses as to what that means.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sleeping-dogs-dev-reveals-its-next-game-triad-wars/1100-6422454/

Me: I love Sleeping Dogs, what a great game, I eagerly await a sequel and will buy it on day one. It is literally impossible for the developer to screw this up, there is nothing they can do which will make me not want to play more of this franchise.
Developer: Challenge accepted.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Snuffman posted:

Okay, so going on a tangent to help an out of touch soul here (and opening a can of worms...), what's the deal with Candy Crush?

I've never played it but from what I can tell from screenshots, its just Bejeweled with a candy theme and a really predatory F2P mechanic tacked on? You can only try a level X times in a day or you can pay for another go. Do I have that right?

Why would anyone play that instead of Bejeweled?
The answer to this question is unironically worth a billion dollars. Seriously, you've seen the money King makes off that Bejeweled clone? Holy poo poo. To make matters worse, they've also got Farm Story Saga and now Digger Saga, which are both clones of Candy Crush Saga. :wtc: And that's before we come to the fact that they're marketing the balls off their games.

Of course, they've floated on the stock exchange, and now revenue is stagnating which means they're getting shat on by their shareholders, but :shrug:.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I enjoyed Dear Esther, but I didn't really try to pull any meaning out of the ramblings and just treated it like a dream. It's quite pretty to walk around and let the words and sounds just flow over you. Think of it as more of a trip through a painting gallery, where you're looking for an aesthetic experience, rather than as a story to be read or game to be played.

Secrets of Raetikon was... I don't want to call it bad, but some parts of it were unnecessarily aggravating, the content was too small to justify the price even at a decent discount ($7.50), and lol that ending. I'd suggest waiting for it to hit $2.50 or thereabouts if you still want to get it.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
So I went to find the new Gauntlet in my games list, and "Gauntlet Quest" was there. It doesn't have a store page, only a steamdb entry http://steamdb.info/app/229690/

So I installed it and it gave me this:

Which wound up being this:

Which is really obviously not a finished game:

And the guy with the shield is invincible or something because I made it to the 4th floor without taking a single damage:

This random youtube is about all I could find about it. It looks like they made it to test pilot the idea and dropped it for whatever reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuu-HFEVK_4

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

Hard Reset, Zeno Clash II, and the Tropico Trilogy can be had for $2.99 in this bundle: http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/reboot-bundle-4/

This bundle also includes the deluxe version of Inquisitor, a cool old style RPG where you can interrogate heretics in the name of God.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Orv posted:

They've done basically nothing to market it beyond quietly dropping trailer after trailer and going to a couple industry shows. I preordered it because I crave disappointment, so I'll let you know. They've made two good games out of the five games they've made, so hopefully they've learned from 2, 3 and Legends. Hopefully. Haha :smith:

I'd really like to hear how Stronghold Crusader 2 is as well. Stronghold 3 was super frustrating, because I think they got the one hard part right, the economy/management side; it was a step-up in complexity of the first game but not crammed with extraneous stuff like Stronghold 2, and it worked pretty well. But then they gently caress it up with wonky castle building, terrible controls for your military units, poo poo they could've easily copied from any modern RTS. And the bugs. Oh god, the bugs.

I'll fire up the original Stronghold and Crusader once in awhile, hoping for a sequel that actually does the series justice. Maybe this is the one :negative:

Oh and another way they hosed up #3 was having too many campaign missions where you're besieging a castle, instead of building & defending one, which was more of a battle with the lovely RTS controls than otherwise.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Snuffman posted:

Its not that Deckers sucked. Its that they never had an opportunity to shine in DMS. To a lesser extent Shamans and their spirit summoning had the same problem. There just weren't enough opportunities in the environment to use the class specific abilities: In the case of Deckers hacking points, Shamans summoning points. If you picked a decker you were basically an OK shootymans who occasionally got a chance to shine every other mission.

Dragonfall fixes this. Almost every mission has a Matrix side mission built in where you can score additional pay data, hack open doors, take control of turrets. Tons of dialogue and keypad/chest/lock hacking opportunities too.

Great! I finished the first shootymans mission, didn't seem to have any decker bits (besides story bits [RIP]). Nice to know it picks up.

Did get introduced to the whole spirit summon thing... and got burned bad because I didn't know "Escape Chance" meant "Chance This Fucker Will Turn Around With His 4 AP And Ruin Your Day" :gonk:

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Great! I finished the first shootymans mission, didn't seem to have any decker bits (besides story bits [RIP]). Nice to know it picks up.
It does, you just missed it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Eruonen posted:

It does, you just missed it.

Really? I looked over the whole combat area (both of them), didn't see it. :(

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Really? I looked over the whole combat area (both of them), didn't see it. :(

You mean the very first mission right? It has a very short optional deckers section in the first indoors area.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Eruonen posted:

You mean the very first mission right? It has a very short optional deckers section in the first indoors area.

Yeah, where Monika's with you. Since I'm only like ten minutes in I'll just start again and pay more attention this time.

Maybe do the first shooting bit better, too. I was thinking more XCom, being too safe, I think. :v:

(edit) Oh, there's a Rewind & Load function. Ain't that clever.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

When you reach the room with three closed doors (more or less east, south and west), it's behind the south one.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Has anybody tried Steam streaming from a desktop to a MacBook Pro Retina display at non-native Retina resolutions?

How is it?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Snuffman posted:

I downloaded it once on my mobile to try and figure out what the hype was. As far as I can tell, the main reason it's raking in money is because of impressively skillful (and soulless) design. It is basically set up in such a way that you'll usually get a board almost entirely cleared, but then run out of moves. And you can see how you'd finish it if you just had one more shot. At which point, hey, you can buy this in-game thingy to give you more moves. Cue cash register sound fx here. That type of marketing just pisses me off, and I uninstalled it. But apparently it works really well on some people, judging by their revenue stream.

Edit:

Arnold of Soissons posted:

So I went to find the new Gauntlet in my games list, and "Gauntlet Quest" was there. It doesn't have a store page, only a steamdb entry http://steamdb.info/app/229690/

Any chance you do the steamgifts giveaways, or did about a year ago? http://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/ssqw2/dwarfs-quest-for-the-gauntlet looks like the only place it could have come from. Apparently the devs of the game Dwarfs!? were prototyping a sequel of sorts. Looks like it's long since abandoned though.

BobTheJanitor fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 22, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

BobTheJanitor posted:

I downloaded it once on my mobile to try and figure out what the hype was. As far as I can tell, the main reason it's raking in money is because of impressively skillful (and soulless) design. It is basically set up in such a way that you'll usually get a board almost entirely cleared, but then run out of moves. And you can see how you'd finish it if you just had one more shot. At which point, hey, you can buy this in-game thingy to give you more moves. Cue cash register sound fx here. That type of marketing just pisses me off, and I uninstalled it. But apparently it works really well on some people, judging by their revenue stream
It works way too well, that Kim Kardashian game was making hundred of millions for example.

It's baffling that people utterly fall for it, but they do and its not at all a good thing for the industry, because why bother doing anything creative and interesting when you can just churn out a pay to play game on a shoe-string budget and get millions?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

PlushCow posted:

I'd really like to hear how Stronghold Crusader 2 is as well. Stronghold 3 was super frustrating, because I think they got the one hard part right, the economy/management side; it was a step-up in complexity of the first game but not crammed with extraneous stuff like Stronghold 2, and it worked pretty well. But then they gently caress it up with wonky castle building, terrible controls for your military units, poo poo they could've easily copied from any modern RTS. And the bugs. Oh god, the bugs.

I'll fire up the original Stronghold and Crusader once in awhile, hoping for a sequel that actually does the series justice. Maybe this is the one :negative:

Oh and another way they hosed up #3 was having too many campaign missions where you're besieging a castle, instead of building & defending one, which was more of a battle with the lovely RTS controls than otherwise.

Did Stronghold 3 ever get fixed? I avoided it because of all the bad reviews but I really liked the earlier games.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

BobTheJanitor posted:

Any chance you do the steamgifts giveaways, or did about a year ago? http://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/ssqw2/dwarfs-quest-for-the-gauntlet looks like the only place it could have come from. Apparently the devs of the game Dwarfs!? were prototyping a sequel of sorts. Looks like it's long since abandoned though.

Ya that's got to be it then.

if it's been dead for a year I'm a bit curious how many levels they made. I got to the third or fourth and they were all hand made and different, at least.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Accordion Man posted:

It works way too well, that Kim Kardashian game was making hundred of millions for example.

It's baffling that people utterly fall for it, but they do and its not at all a good thing for the industry, because why bother doing anything creative and interesting when you can just churn out a pay to play game on a shoe-string budget and get millions?

Hey now, the Kim Kardashian game owns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLN208pqkCs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

smg77 posted:

Did Stronghold 3 ever get fixed? I avoided it because of all the bad reviews but I really liked the earlier games.

Not meaningfully.

• Locked thread