Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

Bug:

Making an edit to a post, then trying to back out and either save or delete your edit does nothing.

You're forced to save the edit to get out of the menu.

Just encountered that myself and was coming to post it. iOS 8 on iPhone 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

HortonNash posted:

iOS 8 on iPhone 5.

Yep, me too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is there an upper limit to how big the cache will grow? It would be great to have a clear cache button in settings.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

noirstronaut posted:

I really don't feel like reading the multitude of posts since the 6 was released, but is there an ETA on when the app will be optimized for it?

Quick imperfect fix until then is to just set Font Scale at 90% or 80%, someone mentioned it a bit earlier and while it doesn't fix the large top and bottom bar it makes the center reading pane practically back to normal.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

bronin posted:

Yeah quoting and posting takes forever. Also refreshing the bookmark site. This is only on wifi though. LTE works like before.

Edit: Jesus I had to turn off wifi to make this post. I had a timeout waiting for the preview so I just disabled wifi and hit post.

Went to a friend's place yesterday and saw this behaviour on his wifi, too. Fine on 3G/4G. Only a problem on iOS 8.

I have noticed TweetBot behaving similarly on wifi, too. Could iOS 8 have changed something fundamental about its wifi communications that individual apps may run afoul of depending on how their networking was done?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

It took like two minutes to quote this post, you cant copy an image url anymore, and the app blocks out any music players. gently caress Tim

Yeah. It's ridiculous.

I wonder what causes it.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Also copying image links and copying images themselves is broken in iOS 8.

After trying one of these things the Share button stops working too.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Googling suggests that a lot of people are having wi-fi issues in ios8 across many apps when LTE is fine.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

gabensraum posted:

Googling suggests that a lot of people are having wi-fi issues in ios8 across many apps when LTE is fine.

Maybe it has to do with the type of wireless router people have? I haven't noticed any issues at all with my Linksys AC router.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

gabensraum posted:

Huh that might explain how my phone wasn't connected to my wi-fi this morning and I had to restart it to get it to work.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Deleted my home wifi and re-added it. Seems to work for now.

It's weird though because I already reset all network settings yesterday.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

bronin posted:

Deleted my home wifi and re-added it. Seems to work for now.

It's weird though because I already reset all network settings yesterday.

Every time I do something (reset or change settings, turn airplane mode off/ on) it works again, briefly.

But as I say it seems to be a broader iOS 8 problem, not specific to Awful.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

gabensraum posted:

Every time I do something (reset or change settings, turn airplane mode off/ on) it works again, briefly.

But as I say it seems to be a broader iOS 8 problem, not specific to Awful.

Yeah I can confirm this unfortunately

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
What is it with Apple and Wi-fi? They break it on Mac OSX constantly too.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
This app is definitely worse than the normal troubles. It feels like I'm on the old dialup modem.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I have no connectivity problems at all, whether I'm using wifi or cellular.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I accidentally left-swiped a bookmark, and didn't touch the remove button, but got to watch it disappear anyway. I tried shaking to undo, like in Mail, but no joy. iOS 7 iPad landscape.

I didn't notice which one it was, so now it'll bug me all day.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
I saw this linked elsewhere about slow wifi performance when the router is something other than WPA2.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6545103

FWIW, mine is set to WPA2 and I haven't noticed any slowdown issues with the app.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Smol posted:

I have no connectivity problems at all, whether I'm using wifi or cellular.

Same here. No issues on my 6 on several different wifi routers.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PREYING MANTITS posted:

I saw this linked elsewhere about slow wifi performance when the router is something other than WPA2.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6545103

FWIW, mine is set to WPA2 and I haven't noticed any slowdown issues with the app.

Same here, WPA2, no issues.

Don't tell me there are still goons out there rolling with anything else. I can't think of any other reason besides, like, Nintendo DS connectivity reasons, and those are moot anyway since Nintendo killed the Wii and DS wireless services earlier this year.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Yes, I'm certainly using WPA 2, but even if I wasn't, my non-iOS 8 devices are fine.

At work atm using it with no problems over LTE.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

gabensraum posted:

Yes, I'm certainly using WPA 2, but even if I wasn't, my non-iOS 8 devices are fine.

Same here. It's not just awful. Sometimes safari gives me no network errors too. My Nexus 7 works like a charm. Guess we'll have to wait for the next incremental update.

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
Is it possible to do swipe left for the menu from the middle of the screen on the iPhone instead of just the edge? (Like how it work on iPad)

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Another Poster posted:

Is it possible to do swipe left for the menu from the middle of the screen on the iPhone instead of just the edge? (Like how it work on iPad)

Agreed. At least for 6+ version.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
When I'm at the end of a thread and I pull up to refresh, I get scrolled all the way to the bottom of the page instead of staying at the first unread post. It's quite annoying to then try to manually scroll to some unknown point in the middle of the page somewhere.

iOS 7 on iPhone 5c. This did not happen in earlier versions of awful.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

TinTower posted:

I know you can't do Mac-to-iOS handoff without the server admins or a Mac app, but is iOS-to-Mac and iOS-to-iOS in the pipeline?

It's on the list!

Another Poster posted:

Shouldn't be a problem in the next version.

Caithness posted:

When I'm at the end of a thread and I pull up to refresh, I get scrolled all the way to the bottom of the page instead of staying at the first unread post. It's quite annoying to then try to manually scroll to some unknown point in the middle of the page somewhere.

iOS 7 on iPhone 5c. This did not happen in earlier versions of awful.

I'll take a look!

percy da tomato
Jul 18, 2004

What, have they done to its eyes?!

gabensraum posted:

Settings - privacy- location services - system services - turn off wi fi networking. Helped with my wifi slowness.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Thanks, was already off. Everything anyone suggests works briefly, probably because it forces a network reset or something.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

percy da tomato posted:

Settings - privacy- location services - system services - turn off wi fi networking. Helped with my wifi slowness.

Unrelated to SAapp, does this stop that stupid reminder that tells to to turn on wifi for better location awareness every time I use weather.app?

Never mind, already off.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 23, 2014

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I had wifi stop working on my iPad mini now, even for Safari, but toggling airplane mode seems to have temporarily fixed it. FEEX IT, TIM.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

theadder posted:

Also copying image links and copying images themselves is broken in iOS 8.

After trying one of these things the Share button stops working too.

This is one of those iOS8 bugs that Apple didn't fix, but Awful has a re-written version for it committed.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

ultramiraculous posted:

This is one of those iOS8 bugs that Apple didn't fix, but Awful has a re-written version for it committed.

Nice.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I sometimes get stuck in the post editing screen. Cancel -> Delete Edit does nothing and the only way to proceed (even quitting the app from holding down the home key doesn't help) is to actually edit the post. Have only seen this on my iPhone 4S so far.

Edit: it happens on the iPad as well. Tried editing this post and now I need to add this edit to get out :v:

Smol fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 25, 2014

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Had a pie in the sky kind of idea (that I wish the forums had); what if, just like highlighting your own username and quoted text, as well as thread starter, it also highlights people in your Buddy List?

I know the OP highlight is a forums feature, and you grab the logged-in user name from the account, but could there be a good way to pull the Buddy List, such as when Bookmarks refresh?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If they're really your buddy you should know it!

(Not a serious response.)

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I got a new error number while trying to pull up a thread while it was refreshing but ios 8 made me unable to share pics

It was NSURLErrorDomain -999

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

FreshFeesh posted:

Had a pie in the sky kind of idea (that I wish the forums had); what if, just like highlighting your own username and quoted text, as well as thread starter, it also highlights people in your Buddy List?

I know the OP highlight is a forums feature, and you grab the logged-in user name from the account, but could there be a good way to pull the Buddy List, such as when Bookmarks refresh?

That's a cool idea, I'll add it to the list!

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

I got a new error number while trying to pull up a thread while it was refreshing but ios 8 made me unable to share pics

It was NSURLErrorDomain -999

That error means the request was cancelled, so I guess I'm not checking that somewhere. I'll take a look.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Has 8.0.2 fixed the wi-fi issues for anyone? Not in a position to apply it yet myself.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

gabensraum posted:

Has 8.0.2 fixed the wi-fi issues for anyone? Not in a position to apply it yet myself.

I still get connection timeouts from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I don't think 8.0.2 actually fixed any bugs aside from the one breaking service and Touch ID, honestly. I mean, no one is reporting anything being fixed, yet the same issues we had with 8.0 are popping up left and right.

• Locked thread