Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Opened another mardu pack today l, didn't build it because of low turnout at at the event, but I got a red green fetch, bloodstained champion, and ankleshanker. Could be worse. Off to the trade thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

technolizard
May 19, 2013
Went Jeskai last night. Got Narset for my promo, a Polluted Delta, Utter End, two Crater's Claws, and Howl of the Horde as my rares. Hoo boy, let me tell you, playing Howl of the Horde with the raid trigger and following up with Crater's Claws is a wonderful feeling. Prowess creatures make it a lot more likely that you have a 4 power creature on the field at that point, so even paying a small amount of mana can get you a rather large damage output. I managed to hit for 15 at one point. Ended up going 3-2-1 due to a few misplays, but I had a blast.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

loving bullshit.

Go to my store, and for some reason they don't have their normal supply of stock, so they only had enough for the 1pm release for 17 people.

Now you'd assume since I came an hour early I'd get to reserve and pick early, also being first to pay for entry. Nope, 'randomized'. So of course I'm the third from last and of course the only boxes left are Jeskai. I wanted Mardu. If not Mardu, Temur. Fucks to that I guess.

So I built a really lovely WUR splashing forests for Sagu Mauler and Embodiment of Spring and the best cards I opened were in fact, Sagu Mauler and Thousand Winds.

Get blown out by a Mardu deck, the deck I wanted to build. Round 2, same thing happens. Drop, I'm done, prize support is rear end for Prerelease here anyway.

Last time I go to that LGS for a pre-release. I've never been so bummed out about anything Magic related in my entire life.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Got to live a dream that MTGO's glitchy client forced on me: Bestowed Chromanticore in 3/4 games before being inevitably eliminated.

The thing bugged out and stopped letting you do a left+right click to enlarge cards, instead it PICKED the card, so while I was firmly GW, my P2P1 was suddenly Chromanticore. I said gently caress it, I'm going to file for reimbursement anyway, let's get silly...I already drafted two Font of Fertility in pack 1, maybe this can work.

1-1 Round 1, but won on time. Game 2 was so clogged because my opponent bestowed a Leafcrown Dryad or whatever the reach bestow one is on that dumb 3/7 idiot and the board was just impossible. However, since I won game 1 and he was a good 6 minutes under me in remaining clock, I had no incentive to concede for time and just rode it out. I actually had lethal at one point but his only card in hand was the destroy attacking creature one, so he survived at 2 life.

Round 2 went very poorly. A fun combo is Nylea's Presence and that 5-drop blue dude that bounces an enchantment to attack, though. Slap Chromanticore on him and bounce Presence for 2 mana card draw every turn. But I inevitably lost.

Oh well. I got to bestow 3/4 games, so I consider it a moral victory against this loving client. That's the third bug report I've had to file today alone, so many glitches in cube.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I mentioned a few pages back that I went with Mardu at a midnight flight, and that I felt like I was playing a Zendikar limited deck. Here's the maindeck (Rest of pool behind the link):

Deck: Kahns Midnight pre release deck and pool

//Lands
8 Mountain
1 Nomad Outpost
4 Plains
3 Scoured Barrens
1 Swamp

//Spells
1 Deflecting Palm
1 Kill Shot
1 Mardu Charm
1 Murderous Cut
1 Ride Down
1 Throttle
1 Tormenting Voice
1 Utter End

//Creatures
1 Ainok Bond-Kin
1 Horde Ambusher
1 Jeering Instigator
1 Jeskai Student
1 Mardu Hateblade
1 Mardu Heart-Piercer
1 Mardu Hordechief
1 Mardu Warshrieker
1 Master of Pearls
2 Ponyback Brigade
1 Seeker of the Way
1 Summit Prowler
2 Valley Dasher
Display deck statistics

This is a deck that apparently goes 10-2 in games over the course of five rounds to win a whole box. The first loss was game one of round one where I drew 10 of the 17 lands over the course of the game. The second loss was game two of round five, where I hit a pocket of five lands (and had three more coming) after being hit by an End Hostilities.

All four rares I played ranged from useful to causing blowouts
Utter End: Actually got countered in round four, but for the most part nobody expected it. This was my promo.
Jeering Instigator: I only ever got to threaten with it once, but man was it good. My round four opponent had a board of the g regenerating guy, a morph, the 4/2 bear, and had just dropped a Valley Dasher. When he moved to combat with just the Dasher, I unmorphed the Instigator, stole the bear, and took away half his board for three mana.
Master of Pearls: +2+2 to the team is no joke. I managed to kill my round one opponent off of the unmorph bonus for exact... through the 4/4 lifelink creature. This guy usually finished games or put them well in reach.
Deflecting Palm: I don't know if I've run into a card that can turn a game around like this one. It literally did an entire game worth of damage for me over the course of the night. And there was nothing like someone crashing in with a 5 power flyer when they're at 7 and having it slammed back in their face.

I cracked my prize box because I'm a horrible addict (and because I can't get enough people together at one time to draft). Pulls weren't absolutely incredible, but my mythics were Empty the Pits, Sarkhan, Sidisi, and Anafenza. Notable rares were Polluted Delta, A foil End Hostilities, and another Utter End for the removal pile.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Jeering Instigator only works on your turn.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

TheLawinator posted:

Jeering Instigator only works on your turn.

Yah I think a lot of people will screw this up at first. It would be completely broken in limited at 3 mana if it worked on your opponent's turn.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
yup, we screwed that up then. Neither of us noticed because it was 4:30 in the morning.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah, they don't do Threaten effects at Instant any more because it ends up turn what's supposed to be an aggressive card into something that's way better on defense.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
Played magic for almost 30 hours straight from FNM to the 7pm 2 Headed Giant pre-release at my LGS. Ended up going 4-0 at FNM with BW Control and then picked Mardu for all 4 of the pre-releases I did. Ended up going 4-0, 3-1, 3-1, and 3-1.

Mardu vs Mardu also ended up pretty grindy but most of the other match ups were pretty quick. Zurgo + Ride Down was amazing, as was unmorphed Ponyback Brigades + Ankle Shanker and Trumpet Blast or Master of Pearls unmorphing to blow them out.

Butcher of the Horde put in a lot of work but generally my opponents would remove it within a turn or two. I sadly didn't get to live the dream of Act of Treasoning someone's giant turtle thing and keeping it forever.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Played magic for almost 30 hours straight from FNM to the 7pm 2 Headed Giant pre-release at my LGS. Ended up going 4-0 at FNM with BW Control and then picked Mardu for all 4 of the pre-releases I did. Ended up going 4-0, 3-1, 3-1, and 3-1.

Mardu vs Mardu also ended up pretty grindy but most of the other match ups were pretty quick. Zurgo + Ride Down was amazing, as was unmorphed Ponyback Brigades + Ankle Shanker and Trumpet Blast or Master of Pearls unmorphing to blow them out.

Butcher of the Horde put in a lot of work but generally my opponents would remove it within a turn or two. I sadly didn't get to live the dream of Act of Treasoning someone's giant turtle thing and keeping it forever.

christ how many packs did that win you?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Why did they not have a Raid ability that said "Destroy all Insects"? :haw:

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY
Played my first organized Magic games in about 8 years, and went to my first pre-release ever. I had a lot of fun even though I didn't know anyone and didn't do all that great. I just love the game so much and I'm going to get back into it now that I have a regular person job and more disposable income.

I picked Abzan and proceeded to get some lovely packs for it. This set looks like a lot of fun.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Count Bleck posted:

loving bullshit.

You can feel the tears through the screen. Get a grip.

Managed to go 3-0-1 with a BWG deck with WAY too many four drops but Incremental Growth is still as good as advertised (or better).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Someone on Deckbox is offering me a foil Dig Through Time, which is $18 on that site. That's an insane, unsustainable price unless it sees heavy Eternal play, right?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Someone on Deckbox is offering me a foil Dig Through Time, which is $18 on that site. That's an insane, unsustainable price unless it sees heavy Eternal play, right?

It will *edit probably see eternal play, so maybe?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
foil swan song was at a similar price at pre/release.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Entropic posted:

Yeah, they don't do Threaten effects at Instant any more because it ends up turn what's supposed to be an aggressive card into something that's way better on defense.

They did this as recently as Scars block (and yeah it was amazing as a defensive trick).

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=378459

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

There's nothing in this set I don't want in an EDH deck.

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM
Went Abzan at yesterday and got the ascendancy as my seeded rare. Opened another abzan ascendancy, the XU tap down X creatures card, and a Sidisi as my other playable rares so I ended up splashing blue with the 4 common tap lands that could generate the blue for me.

Only 2 of the +1/+1 counters lords and no really great creatures led to a very grindy deck. With dual ascendancy I was able to get first strike and death touch on line a few times which was really good in a ground war.

Ended up 3-0-1 with the draw being a split in the last round which was good enough for 9 packs. One fetch in a prize pack was the best pull i had in terms of value, but having the dated foil promo with my birthday stampes on it is pretty cool. I'm really looking forward to drafting this set since there are some really fun interactions.

Fake edit: after reading other accounts of pre release prize support I feel like my LGS might be cheaping out a little.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Can you flash Vendillion Clique in on the draw step? Was playing a Two Headed Giant prerelease and got the chance to Mardu Charm after a Taigam's Scheme from an opponent, but he mentioned that there is no priority in the draw step and no chance to cast spells unless there is a trigger to respond to.

In the grand scheme it did not matter, my sultai playing partner got manascrewed. A shame, but a fun prerelease. Dragon Throne is a ton of fun with Mardu Tokens. E: The reason I bring up Clique is I was sure draw step Cliqueing was a thing that happened

Frozen_flame fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 22, 2014

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
you sure can. after the draw itself there is a round of priority before moving to the first main phase.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Well drat. I knew the Sultai were evil :argh:

Still a fun night. Pulled the promo Crackling Doom, Wooded Foothills and an Utter End to go with the two pre-ordered.

MarduKing shall ride to victory!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Ugh so mad at myself right now.

So I did well at my Midnight prerelease; nothing too notable, just built Mardu aggro and ran over people. Tense game in round 2, opponent landed a Zurgo and I had almost no outs (Abzan charm which was not in hand and I didn't have green available, Field which wasn't in hand, and Debilitating Injury which wasn't in hand) so I elected to let it through to maximize my outs, put myself at 8 and ripped Injury off the top. It was all over but the shouting from there.

Judged Saturday morning and it was fine.

Today, though... buddy and I did 2HG. We were going to do Abzan/Temur, but Abzan wasn't available so I went Mardu and he went Temur. Opened Jeering Instigator promo, ended up splashing green for Siege Rhino, Duneblast and Abzan Guide. I had a Heath to help fix, plus duals. Round 1 vs. I don't know what, it was two kids who were kinda new and we blew them out. Round 2 was vs. Sultai/Abzan and the Sultai guy played 3 Embodiment of Spring in the first 3 turns, completely blanking my Valley Dashers. Their pools were insane, we built up a big force but they were just outlasting and developing their board rather than swinging in. They had Sagu Mauler, Necropolis Fiend, Grim Haruspex, lots of poo poo. I ended up drawing into a green source after sacrificing two Skullhunters and an Aspirant to draw cards from my Haruspex and cast Duneblast, keeping only the Haruspex and destroying about 12 creatures. After that they STILL could rebuild well, but so much card draw from the Sultai guy's Haruspex and banners plus filtering from Abomination of Gudul meant he decked himself.

Round 3 was vs. Jeskai/Abzan. Super fast aggressive game. Lots of counterplays, but it ended when they managed to swing for enough to take us to 4 then Jeskai Charmed for the end. Felt bad. We had them next turn from attacks and Storm of Arrows. We might have had them; we had an explosive start, but they Ended Hostilities to wipe us out. One of my dead creatures was an unflipped Jeering Instigator, and I had cast an Act of Treason from my hand, which was stupid. Should have used the Instigator and saved the Act, and we would have won for sure.

Round 4 was vs. Jeskai/Mardu. I am a huge moron. Act of Treason, stole their Mardu Roughrider (I think, guy who prevents blocks), swung in with our team (my partner had a Temur Ascendancy), and I held the Trumpet Blast for lethal but had idiotically tapped both red sources for the Act. I am so god drat stupid. We lost of course to their own Trumpet Blast. I think my partner was mad at me since we would have gotten prizes if we had won round 4. I felt incredibly stupid, especially since I punted a game last Thursday to my partner under similar circumstances (I forgot Covenant of Blood goes to the face, failed to attack with both of my dudes for lethal and forgot Xathrid Slyblade loses hexproof when it strikes). I just feel like that's two times I cost myself product and games by stupid misplays that taking an extra 30 seconds would have prevented.

I am bad at Magic :(.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Frozen_flame posted:

Can you flash Vendillion Clique in on the draw step? Was playing a Two Headed Giant prerelease and got the chance to Mardu Charm after a Taigam's Scheme from an opponent, but he mentioned that there is no priority in the draw step and no chance to cast spells unless there is a trigger to respond to.

In the grand scheme it did not matter, my sultai playing partner got manascrewed. A shame, but a fun prerelease. Dragon Throne is a ton of fun with Mardu Tokens.

There is always priority. The only way neither player has priority is if the game is over. It's just a question of who has priority.

Incidentally, after a spell resolves, your opponent does not get priority immediately unless you activate an ability or move to the next phase.

If you cast a creature, and it doesn't get countered, your opponent does not have the chance to use a kill spell on it before you cast a sorcery. This usually doesn't matter but for things that care about your casting spells (young pyromancer, cost reducers etc.) It can be important.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

DarkRider09 posted:

Went Abzan at yesterday and got the ascendancy as my seeded rare. Opened another abzan ascendancy, the XU tap down X creatures card, and a Sidisi as my other playable rares so I ended up splashing blue with the 4 common tap lands that could generate the blue for me.

Only 2 of the +1/+1 counters lords and no really great creatures led to a very grindy deck. With dual ascendancy I was able to get first strike and death touch on line a few times which was really good in a ground war.

Ended up 3-0-1 with the draw being a split in the last round which was good enough for 9 packs. One fetch in a prize pack was the best pull i had in terms of value, but having the dated foil promo with my birthday stampes on it is pretty cool. I'm really looking forward to drafting this set since there are some really fun interactions.

Fake edit: after reading other accounts of pre release prize support I feel like my LGS might be cheaping out a little.
Why are the Abzan so based?
Well how many people were at your pre-release? I got second place too and got 6 packs, there were enough people for 4 rounds and no top 4/8.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Snacksmaniac posted:

You can feel the tears through the screen. Get a grip.
Yeah I don't want to poop on the dude but obsessing over which 1 pack you got out of 6 as though it defines your entire PR experience is a little silly.

Gensuki posted:

There is always priority.
Did they change the untap phase?

Honest question, I can never remember. But that phase used to have no priority.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Pyronic posted:

christ how many packs did that win you?

Store credit for the FNM and ended up with like a box and a half of Khan's packs. Not the best prize support at the store but the friends I play with all go there so it is worth it to me.

Edit: The pack count includes the prerelease boxes.

Obsoletely Fabulous fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 22, 2014

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

Me and a friend pulled 5 trumpet blasts and 3 ponyback brigades in 2HG. :getin:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

DarkRider09 posted:

My LGS gave a pack to everyone that was still there after two rounds, then 4-0 got seven packs, 3-1 got two, and 2-1-1 got one (for ~35-40 people). They also had five prerelease events, a few release events, and a free draft if you participated in four pre-/release events so maybe they were just pacing themselves.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I am bad at Magic :(.

It's OK, I went 2-2 and the only prize packs I got were for showing up and because my round 4 opponent had me dead to rights then offered to concede if I gave him one of my prize packs (he would have been 2-1-1 but by conceding I was officially 3-1 so we both got a prize)

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Ok I'm way late to pre-release chat because :japan:, but here goes some :words:

Day 1: Abzan

I opened a pretty mediocre pool overall. My rares were Ankle Shanker, Flying Crane Technique, Kheru Lich Lord, Mardu Ascendancy, Trap Essence, and my promo was High Sentinels of Arashin :c00l:. I got two Chiefs of the Scale (but no Edge), the first strike outlast dude and the flying outlast dude. I had two Abzan guides, several other warriors, some decent removal, so I decided to just go Warriors, and splash red for the Ankle Shanker, Mardu Ascendancy and a Highspire Mantis.
My record got slowly worse as the night progressed. I could hold my own against early aggro, but got absolutely crushed late game, unless I got my Ankle Shanker out. Unfortunately, he only game out in 1 game total. My worst defeat was against another Abzan deck with bigger top-end creatures. One particularly sad game for me was his T4 Sultai Flayer, T5 Armament Corps. 2-0, 1-1-0, 1-2, 0-2

Day 2: Temur

My pool was fairly good and I was feeling good about my chances. My rares were Crater's Claws, Flying Crane Technique, Abzan Ascendancy, Surrak Dragonclaw, Sagu Mauler, and Avalanche Tusker. Notable uncommons were the Icefeather Aven, Pine Walker, Master the Way, Dragon Grip, Temur Charm, Scion of Glaciers and Riverwheel Aerialists. I had tons of morph creatures, so I went in on that and played Secret Plans, alongside double Snowhorn Riders, the 6/7 morph Loxodon, and a few others. The deck had some real staying power, and just kept pumping out threat after threat. Unfortunately, morph costs tended to be a little constricting, and I often waited a bit for the right mana to flip. I ended up 2-2, but not for lack of good playing. Both losses were against the two players who ended up sharing 1st place :shepicide: 2-0. 1-2, 2-0, 0-2. That second match came down to the very last turn, where we both had lethal on board, but he was able to Icy Blast my defenses. Otherwise I would have had him 2-1.

Thoughts:
  • You really need some top-end beats to make Abzan work. I had all the low end synergy, but without any big guys, I'm just durdling around on the floor waiting for the other person to pull his bomb.
  • Secret Plans is pretty good if you think you can reliably play morphs on turn 3. It kept my opponents' morph cards out of combat with mine early game, and allowed me time to build board presence. T2 Secret Plans into T3 morph where I want to be. The card advantage is just icing.
  • Armament Corps is bonkers.
  • I'm a little down on Alpine Grizzly: the 2 toughness really hurts in a morph set, where people are happy to lose a 2/2 morph against your 4/2. The best thing about it is it gets you to Ferocious on turn 4.
  • Sagu Mauler is probably the MVP of my Temur deck, just slightly over Surrak, who is probably the better constructed card. I flashed Dragon Grip on him one game and felt like the king of the battlefield. I usually hard-cast him, but the one time I morphed him into play was a wicked blowout.
  • gently caress Ghostfire Blade.
  • Mystic of the Hidden Way is a great blue common.
  • Crippling Chill is also a great blue common.
  • Avalanche Tusker was a disappointment. By the time it attacks, it usually doesn't survive, it often can't hit what you want it to hit (because that thing is tapped), and doesn't have any sort of evasion. It needs just one more thing to be good, like haste, or trample or something.
  • Icy Blast facilitated some of of the most crushing alpha strikes against me, even when my board state was menacing.
  • Death Frenzy is a totally legit card and can facilitate massive blowouts again morph or weenie rush.

Overall, I really dig the feel of Khans limited. Early game is pretty crucial, and bluffing morphs is a really fun game. They really got the horde feeling of Mardu right: I never felt like I was facing down 6/2 haste creatures, but rather about 12 1/1s and 2/1s. I never felt like a win was easy, or undeserved, on either side.

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 22, 2014

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Has there been any more talk of a Modern Masters 2? I decided to look up Fulminator Mage to see if it's gone down at all and instead find that it shot up another five dollars. :( I could conceivably trade for the final 3 I need, but man is that an investment.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

bhsman posted:

Has there been any more talk of a Modern Masters 2? I decided to look up Fulminator Mage to see if it's gone down at all and instead find that it shot up another five dollars. :( I could conceivably trade for the final 3 I need, but man is that an investment.

if there was you would know about it by now

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The original MM was announced considerably ahead of time (around now, I think?) but if MM2 is just going into the supplemental slot then there's no reason to believe they're going to spoil information about it so far ahead of time. Still got commander 2014, fate reforged and a duel deck to hype up, and maybe some other product line I've forgotten about.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Yeah you can steal at instant speed, but they make you work for it these days. We're not seeing Ray of Command again any time soon.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Spiderdrake posted:

Honest question, I can never remember. But that phase used to have no priority.

I'm pretty sure it still doesn't, but 'always priority' is still a better rule of thumb where it isn't explicitly stated otherwise.

In particular, the reported LGS guy who said that you can't play stuff during the draw phase unless something triggers is horseshit. If there was no priority during that phase, you couldn't play anything during that phase, and in fact triggers during that phase would wait until the next phase to be placed on the stack (viz., untap triggers being placed on the stack at the beginning of upkeep).

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Entropic posted:

Yeah you can steal at instant speed, but they make you work for it these days. We're not seeing Ray of Command again any time soon.
I dunno, Act of Aggression wasn't printed that long ago, not that it made waves or anything.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

JerryLee posted:

I'm pretty sure it still doesn't, but 'always priority' is still a better rule of thumb where it isn't explicitly stated otherwise.

In particular, the reported LGS guy who said that you can't play stuff during the draw phase unless something triggers is horseshit. If there was no priority during that phase, you couldn't play anything during that phase, and in fact triggers during that phase would wait until the next phase to be placed on the stack (viz., untap triggers being placed on the stack at the beginning of upkeep).

I don't think you have a solid understanding of turn structure. There are no "untap triggers" The untap step is the first step in the beginning of turn phase and untapping is special turn based action that doesn't use the stack.

Players first receive priority in the upkeep, the second step in the beginning phase. Triggered abilities are placed on the stack in APNAP order, and then the active player gets priority.

In the third step, the draw step, first a player draws a card, another turn based action that doesn't use the stack, then abilities that trigger are placed on the stack, and then the active player gets priority.

Triggered abilities that occur at the beginning of a given step are handled well before any player has priority, and so players not having priority would have no effect on them being placed on the stack.

The reason any ability or trigger that would occur in the untap phase is instead delayed to the upkeep phase is because while we could theoretically place it on the stack without anyone receiving priority, an object on the stack cannot resolve until both players pass priority without adding anything to the stack and that's not possible during the untap phase as the rules specifically say no player receives priority. (and therefore could not pass it)

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I don't think you have a solid understanding of turn structure. There are no "untap triggers" The untap step is the first step in the beginning of turn phase and untapping is special turn based action that doesn't use the stack.

Players first receive priority in the upkeep, the second step in the beginning phase. Triggered abilities are placed on the stack in APNAP order, and then the active player gets priority.

In the third step, the draw step, first a player draws a card, another turn based action that doesn't use the stack, then abilities that trigger are placed on the stack, and then the active player gets priority.

seriously people, just play modo

• Locked thread