Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Who seriously uses their phone case-less while lying on flat surfaces enough for that to be a problem anyways?

It lies caseless on the desk next to my keyboard or while I work and study, so quite a bit of the day for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Also much thinner and lighter, and the camera isn't noticeable. Cool.

I would rather have a thicker phone without a protruding camera. In terms of design I think it's bleh, and plus--having dealt with the HTC Evo for two years--it can get annoying.

I've never thought "my phone is too thick!" or "my phone is too heavy!" but I've certainly said "my phone is too big for my hand" and that is pretty much how I felt when I had the Evo.

Gio fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 22, 2014

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I wonder what is selling more, iPhone 6 or 6+. The Apple Store was completely out of 6 cases, but they had a full wall of 6+ cases. Best Buy had a 10-15 different iPhone 6 cases, but no 6+ cases.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

various cheeses posted:

Got an iPhone 6 Friday. Anyone else having issues with pictures partially loading/not loading in safari and even the SA forums app?

Weird, it even does this on the Netflix app. Both LTE and wifi. Any ideas?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I wonder what is selling more, iPhone 6 or 6+. The Apple Store was completely out of 6 cases, but they had a full wall of 6+ cases. Best Buy had a 10-15 different iPhone 6 cases, but no 6+ cases.

They didn't nearly as many of the 6+.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Gio posted:

I would rather have a thicker phone without a protruding camera. In terms of design I think it's bleh

Since you hate the design anyway, just cut out some cardboard in the shape of the phone, make a hole for the camera, and superglue it to the back. No more protruding camera.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

People are cheap. The 6 plus costs $100 more. It's also in shorter supply. Last but not least, people are also conformist, and the only "reasonable" choice that gets rammed down everybody's throat by some of the loudest people here is 6/64/Space Gray. "Oooohhh, my hands and pockets are too small" :qq: (it fits in my 501's front pocket even when sitting down, without any issues, but whatever.)

So :iiam:

To get real numbers, I'd wait at least until both are available in the same quantities. At least some people are going for the 6 because the 6 plus is hard to get.

Meanwhile, I'm immensely enjoying my 6+/128/Gold, with the Product Red case to boot.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
First off, iOS 8 is the most buggy iOS release in recent memory. I don't remember any iOS version being littered with so many game-stopping bugs.

Anyway, are any of you using docks? The fit in the Elevation Dock is too snug and I can see it clearly introducing wear over a few days of usage.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Gio posted:

I would rather have a thicker phone without a protruding camera. In terms of design I think it's bleh, and plus--having dealt with the HTC Evo for two years--it can get annoying.

I've never thought "my phone is too thick!" or "my phone is too heavy!" but I've certainly said "my phone is too big for my hand" and that is pretty much how I felt when I had the Evo.
RIP you ever using a phone again once they discontinue the 5S next year.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

noirstronaut posted:

First off, iOS 8 is the most buggy iOS release in recent memory. I don't remember any iOS version being littered with so many game-stopping bugs.

I have experienced literally zero game-stopping bugs. Or any bugs, really.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

flavor posted:

Since you hate the design anyway, just cut out some cardboard in the shape of the phone, make a hole for the camera, and superglue it to the back. No more protruding camera.

People are cheap. The 6 plus costs $100 more. It's also in shorter supply. Last but not least, people are also conformist, and the only "reasonable" choice that gets rammed down everybody's throat by some of the loudest people here is 6/64/Space Gray. "Oooohhh, my hands and pockets are too small" :qq: (it fits in my 501's front pocket even when sitting down, without any issues, but whatever.)

So :iiam:

To get real numbers, I'd wait at least until both are available in the same quantities. At least some people are going for the 6 because the 6 plus is hard to get.

Meanwhile, I'm immensely enjoying my 6+/128/Gold, with the Product Red case to boot.
I got a 6/64/Space Gray but not because the thread said so. In fact, I'm not sure that was the consensus recommendation of this thread, though 6/64 is the most logical of the options.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

noirstronaut posted:

What sort of "game-stopping" bugs are you talking about?

I used iOS8 throughout the entire beta and never experience any annoying bugs.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I didn't install the beta on my 5, and my 6 hasn't had any noticeable problems.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Really? No bugs for the entire beta? From the beta alone, I could name five off the top of my head.

However, on iOS 8, I've experienced the Music.app not working at all, keyboards being poorly optimized or utilized at all, Spotlight deciding it wants to take a day off, Phone.app crashing when answering a call, Safari deciding to have a day off as well to pair up with Spotlight probably, AirDrop simply not working, and the overall default keyboard freezing within apps not optimized for the iPhone 6.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

I got a 6/64/Space Gray but not because the thread said so. In fact, I'm not sure that was the consensus recommendation of this thread, though 6/64 is the most logical of the options.

Good for you if it's the most logical choice for you, but the amount of tribalism from some people here about this is really annoying.

It's too much work now to find the "consensus recommendation" here (which could only be a majority recommendation anyway), but subjectively I'd think the pro-6 comments outnumber the pro-6-plus comments here by about ten to one.

Toolband
May 28, 2003

Year of the Tiger....probably not but hey we started 2-0
I notice a red color on some black images, not just one image but whenever the screen will go to a solid black image. Is this a problem with pixels on my 6+?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

flavor posted:

Good for you if it's the most logical choice for you, but the amount of tribalism from some people here about this is really annoying.

It's too much work now to find the "consensus recommendation" here (which could only be a majority recommendation anyway), but subjectively I'd think the pro-6 comments outnumber the pro-6-plus comments here by about ten to one.

To be fair, the 6 is large enough that it simply doesn't make sense for everyone. But I wanted a giant screened iPhone and I'm glad that apple was able to provide one.

[Edit: gently caress, I meant to say the 6 Plus. The 6 is actually reasonably sized.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 22, 2014

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Man, look. I completely under estimated the size of the 6. At least, at the very least, go check one out before being all willy nilly about your gadgetry.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Bugs wise, I've noticed the following issues:

-3rd Party Keyboards sometimes come up, other times the default one will pop up
-Some notifications will "stick" at the top of the screen until I act on them

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

lelandjs posted:

To be fair, the 6 is large enough that it simply doesn't make sense for everyone. But I wanted a giant screened iPhone and I'm glad that apple was able to provide one.

I agree and I'm glad too. I think the 6 plus has some real usability and feature advantages over the 6.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Bugs wise, I've noticed the following issues:

-3rd Party Keyboards sometimes come up, other times the default one will pop up
-Some notifications will "stick" at the top of the screen until I act on them

I've had the empty spotlight search. But I remember that iOS 7.0.0 crashed and rebooted lot more for me than 8.0.0. I haven't had that with 8 yet.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I feel like the 6 is as big as I would ever want a phone. I now no longer regret going for the iPad Air over the Mini, as they would have essentially been fighting each other for justification to use either on the couch.

I think the 6 wouldnt have hurt to be slightly smaller, maybe 4.4 or 4.5? Im happy with it, but I hope they dont get any bigger without offering a small model because its really at the limit of my handling to have a phone this big.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Dropped by a T-Mobile store to check out the new phones (walked by the Apple store and said gently caress it when I saw the crowd). The 6+ is just ridiculous. The 6 is larger than I'd like but still in the realm of usable. "Reachability Mode" is a loving joke and the very fact that it is needed/exists should have triggered "what the gently caress are we doing?" alarms sounding in everyone involved's brains.

Time to see how much life I can squeeze out of my 5 :sigh:

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

rear end Catchcum posted:

Turning on reply with message without passcode doesn't mean you can just reply to any texts it's for when you get a phone call you can reply with a text.

I wish I could reply to any text without having to unlock the phone.

You can, just swipe to the left. You have to have text preview on. I have a touchID on and reply to texts from the lock screen. It is great.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think they could make the screen bigger on the normal 6 model by keeping the dimensions but shrinking the bezel. I wouldn't mind that.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Oneiros posted:

Dropped by a T-Mobile store to check out the new phones (walked by the Apple store and said gently caress it when I saw the crowd). The 6+ is just ridiculous. The 6 is larger than I'd like but still in the realm of usable. "Reachability Mode" is a loving joke and the very fact that it is needed/exists should have triggered "what the gently caress are we doing?" alarms sounding in everyone involved's brains.

The 6 is fine. The offering of a bigger model in no way affects your user experience. Who cares of there's a certain subset of people out there who prefer massive goofy looking 5.5" phones? Why do you care what phones other people are using?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

I think they could make the screen bigger on the normal 6 model by keeping the dimensions but shrinking the bezel. I wouldn't mind that.

Super thin phone or small bezels. Pick one.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Oneiros posted:

Calm down weirdo, it's actually fine.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Whirlwind Jones posted:

The 6 is fine. The offering of a bigger model in no way affects your user experience. Who cares of there's a certain subset of people out there who prefer massive goofy looking 5.5" phones? Why do you care what phones other people are using?

I don't care that they are offering a lager model. I care that they stopped offering a model in the old size (excepting the literal old model).

Basically I'm just prematurely aging and raging against new things :argh:

Reachability is still dumb, though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

lelandjs posted:

Super thin phone or small bezels. Pick one.

Is anyone asking for super thin phones? Feels like Apple is the only one that keeps pushing that. The customers slap on some ugly case on it anyway.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Oneiros posted:

I don't care that they are offering a lager model. I care that they stopped offering a model in the old size (excepting the literal old model).

Basically I'm just prematurely aging and raging against new things :argh:

Reachability is still dumb, though.
You just said that the 6 was fine.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Meh, I'll bet either when the next refresh comes around, or the one after that, they'll have the iPhone 7, the iPhone 7 Plus, and the iPhone 7 Mini, which is the same size as the 5s.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

OldSenileGuy posted:

Meh, I'll bet either when the next refresh comes around, or the one after that, they'll have the iPhone 7, the iPhone 7 Plus, and the iPhone 7 Mini, which is the same size as the 5s.
I doubt it.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Whirlwind Jones posted:

You just said that the 6 was fine.

I said that it's "in the realm of usable". It's "OK". It's "Close Enough".

These are not descriptors I look for in a product that I use dozens of times a day, 365 days a year, for multiple years.

Unfortunately, the market has spoken and I get to make do. Doesn't mean that I can't voice my disapproval.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

Mu Zeta posted:

Is anyone asking for super thin phones? Feels like Apple is the only one that keeps pushing that. The customers slap on some ugly case on it anyway.

I like a thin phone because when I put a case on it the size doesn't become a huge brick. I've been selling my phones to upgrade to the new model for the past couple of years though so I have an interest in keeping the phone in as pristine condition as possible. If you don't rock a case then I guess thinness may not be as important.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Gio posted:

Sounds like you the 5 is suiting your needs. A 5S might suit them better if you're looking for an upgrade :shrug:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

prom candy posted:

Before I drop any more money, could you confirm that it'll show events from upcoming days, and let you use multiple calendars from multiple accounts? Thanks :)

It uses your system calendars and is configurable to show 1, 2, or 3 days.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

flavor posted:

Tribalism about iPhones?! :monocle:

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

Tribalism about iPhones?! :monocle:

Between them... that's the new thing.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Oneiros posted:

I said that it's "in the realm of usable". It's "OK". It's "Close Enough".

These are not descriptors I look for in a product that I use dozens of times a day, 365 days a year, for multiple years.

Unfortunately, the market has spoken and I get to make do. Doesn't mean that I can't voice my disapproval.

If you don't mind android, the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact looks like a good prospect - about the same screen size as the iphone 6, but much smaller bezels and looks quite a bit smaller as a result. RIP smallphones.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Reachability owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Sounds like you the 5 is suiting your needs. A 5S might suit them better if you're looking for an upgrade :shrug:

I'll probably upgrade to the newest phone, but not at the moment.