Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
non-white market

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
organized crime employing elderly slave labour does kinda take the magic and whimsy out of release day tbh

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

someone make a remix of that racist video with Deadwood's Mr. Wu calling the cops Cocksuckers.

bonermobile
Sep 20, 2010

hey should i update to ios8 or stick w/ 7 til the minor fix patch

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
here in toronto there's lots of middle eastern and eastern european resellers alongside the asians

gently caress them but more importantly gently caress anyone who gets mad at the situation here in the timb era of press butan receive phone on launch day

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

bonermobile posted:

DO NOT UPGRADE

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
was it here that someone posted that when they got messages it stop their music playback? is that a widespread bug?

lmao

ios updates now work like windows releases, always wait for first service pack if you need to use your device for anything other than testing software

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Internaut! posted:

here in toronto there's lots of middle eastern and eastern european resellers alongside the asians

gently caress them

why?

they're paying the same money as anyone else. grey market exporters and resellers that deal with primarily immigrant communities need to make a living too

it's not like it's some insidious plot to steal the phones or something

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cold on a Cob posted:

was it here that someone posted that when they got messages it stop their music playback? is that a widespread bug?

lmao

ios updates now work like windows releases, always wait for first service pack if you need to use your device for anything other than testing software

i got ios8 on launch day. it basically works for me, except for weather on the today screen, that poo poo is hosed. but to be fair the weather.com forecasts for toronto were worthless anyway

the recent contacts on the app switcher screen is a weird choice, but actually useful

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

der terk our phones

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

because apple doesn't ship phones to toronto in order for them to be immediately flipped overseas? are you also a fan of ticket scalpers?

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

bonermobile posted:

whatever you do, whatever device you use, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE posted:

whatever you do, whatever device you use, it doesn't matter

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

Internaut! posted:

because apple doesn't ship phones to toronto in order for them to be immediately flipped overseas? are you also a fan of ticket scalpers?

lol if you care.

about anything

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Internaut! posted:

i don't really give a poo poo either way.

like, it's a bizarre sort of thing to even be mad about

~them goddamn browns and asians buying up all our phones! curse them for attempting to make a profit off a supply constrained product in high demand! who do they think they are?~ *shakes fist at cloud*

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 22, 2014

bonermobile
Sep 20, 2010

thank u yospos, u have set me straight

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Internaut! posted:

ticket scalpers artificially increase the price of an event ticket buy snapping up limited supply ahead of time and resell at a higher value, loving everyone over because the event is a one time thing

resellers of a extremely popular electrionics item profit from stupidity of consumers willing to pay more than the fixed price to get it now instead of simply waiting a bit

it's not comparable at all

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

in ios8 if you are in a call will alarms still trigger and buzz and play music all over your conversation and into everyone's ears?

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

mishaq posted:

ticket scalpers artificially increase the price of an event ticket buy snapping up limited supply ahead of time and resell at a higher value, loving everyone over because the event is a one time thing

resellers of a extremely popular electrionics item profit from stupidity of consumers willing to pay more than the fixed price to get it now instead of simply waiting a bit

it's not comparable at all

if scalpers buy all the tickets to a show you can buy them immediately at jacked up rates on stubhub, just like reseller phones on ebay

if scalpers take all the tickets to a show you wanted to see, you need to wait a while to see that show again, just like resellers taking the product you wanted to buy

seems pretty comparable to me

lol if you care.

well like I said I don't because I know how to get the phone delivered right to me on launch day, but there are people in those lines who have never know the blessing of stebe and/or are battered anroid housewives and I feel for their plight

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

i remember when that one game got so many preorders they ran out of digital downloads for a month

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Internaut! posted:

well like I said I don't because I know how to get the phone delivered right to me on launch day, but there are people in those lines who have never know the blessing of stebe and/or are battered anroid housewives and I feel for their plight

i still don't understand what motivates people to wait in line for hours or even full days for the sake of buying something you could have ordered online like two weeks ago.

it's bizarre. it's clearly not even instant gratification, since they're waiting in goddamn line for the thing.

i guess if you were trying to buy the phone cash or something, but who even does that?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

SO DEMANDING posted:

i went to a mall and went to the apple store and groped the new phones and ugh

just ugh

overheard someone in the store say "its just like the samsungs!"

ugh

:(

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

someone make a remix of that racist video with Deadwood's Mr. Wu calling the cops Cocksuckers.

swidgen

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

infernal machines posted:

i still don't understand what motivates people

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Internaut! posted:

if scalpers buy all the tickets to a show you can buy them immediately at jacked up rates on stubhub, just like reseller phones on ebay

if scalpers take all the tickets to a show you wanted to see, you need to wait a while to see that show again, just like resellers taking the product you wanted to buy

seems pretty comparable to me

except in this analogy a new concert shows up every 2 weeks and is functionally identical to all of the other ones

and you can buy unlimited numbers of tickets to this concert online at any time

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

i remember when that one game got so many preorders they ran out of digital downloads for a month

theres a bunch of game for windows live games that cannot be purchased since they ran out of keys and MS won't issue more

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

whatever you do, whatever device you use, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

what about day to day???

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

i guess if you were trying to buy the phone cash or something, but who even does that?

don't stop you're almost there

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

computer parts posted:

except in this analogy a new concert shows up every 2 weeks and is functionally identical to all of the other ones

and you can buy unlimited numbers of tickets to this concert online at any time

are you just dense or?

scalpers are human scum. it's not even the least bit fair to buy something with limited stock and sell it for a markup.

if they were just selling it at list it would be different but those fuckers are turning a tidy profit and I don't understand how you don't think that's a lovely thing to do

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

oh ffs

due to pre-sharing days, my wife and i used the same appleid for both phones

now calls that come in (those digital calls i guess) ring on both our phones because sure, why not

obv i need to roll her a fresh appleid and do the family sharing w it, what's the least painful way to actually get the phone to take the other account without horribly loving everything? or is loving everything inevitable?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grandmaster.flv posted:

are you just dense or?

scalpers are human scum. it's not even the least bit fair to buy something with limited stock and sell it for a markup.

if they were just selling it at list it would be different but those fuckers are turning a tidy profit and I don't understand how you don't think that's a lovely thing to do

it's lovely for necessities (water/gas/etc during emergencies) and it's lovely for limited venue things (although i never expect to go to anything popular for cheap anyway) but for something that just requires a little bit of patience it's a lot of huffing about nothing

there's explicitly not limited stock if you're willing to wait a week or two

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Grandmaster.flv posted:

are you just dense or?

scalpers wouldn't exist if what they were selling tickets for wasn't a time limited event

the "willingness to pay" super inflated scalper prices comes from the fact that the alternative is never seeing the band play live possibly ever

the alternative to not paying a greymarket iphone reseller is waiting 2 weeks for demand to die down and supply to increase

i can't believe im actually explaining this

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

I'm not saying that waiting two weeks is bad I'm saying all scalpers are scum regardless of product

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Grandmaster.flv posted:

I'm not saying that waiting two weeks is bad I'm saying all scalpers are scum regardless of product

i too am enraged by capitalism

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

darn these people for making money off the stupidity and impatience of others with money to spend! darn them!

they're human garbage!

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

i too am enraged by capitalism

baby, I'm an anarchist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Internaut! posted:

apple ships phones to toronto to sell them in stores

they don't give a gently caress what you do with the phone once it's out of their hands and they have your money

• Locked thread