Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Angry Walrus posted:

Because Monty learned to animate with Poser and is forcing the entire team of animators they have employed to use it as well so he can continue to contribute to the animation process without Burnie seeing that he's actually wildly incompetent at animating.

He may or may not also be autistic because when RT upgraded their copies of Poser he flipped his poo poo and by Burnie's own recounting of the story literally begged for them to revert the changes because the old version was what he was used to and apparently wasn't capable of learning how to use the new features and layout.

wow he's anime ulillillia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Just catching up here...

ninjewtsu posted:

Please explain to me how ripping off your capslock key and f1 key to save time 1. saves time and 2. is not a sign of mental illness
Like seriously, he could just not push those keys. Why does he need to rip them off? That's just plain crazy, and a definite sign that something is not right with that man
I don't think ripping keys off your keyboard because they "slow you down" is common

Butt Ghost posted:

Maybe the guy's a loon.

Hbomberguy posted:

Maybe the key slowed him down because it got covered in greasy sweat and/or cheeto dust, or got broken from the sheer pressure of being violently mashed at incredible speeds.
I agree there are mental issues being revealed here, but not Monty's.

Hbomberguy posted:

It's 'common' to do this very troubling thing, so let's not complain about it!
Exactly. Complaining would just make you come off like a narrow minded asshat...

HiveCommander posted:

[sarcasm]
B...but that's what makes Monty such a special snowflake! He doesn't conform to using programs made for rendering like the sheeple masses, which makes his work as wonderful and unique! Can't you people see that he is a creative genius? Monty's just misunderstood, like all great artists.
[/sarcasm]
Like this guy, making GBS threads on someone for making a creative effort. Nevermind that other people find value in it, regardless of their "mental age" and even if nobody at all valued it. What is your justification for making GBS threads on Monty Oum for making RWBY? Did he beat out your superior animated production at the Streamys? If he did, you might have a justifiable beef with the judges, not him. This is being wretched, not critical.

Sure, I'm going to be poo poo on for this, but while reading the last page did anyone else feel like they were in some corner of a school cafeteria listening to a group of mean spirited children talk poo poo about the fat and awkward kid just because they could?

beaner69 posted:

Dude literally pushes 55 on the microwave instead of 100 to save a button push.
As everyone should. :colbert:

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Ferretts posted:

Truly we are the insane ones. For discussing a show and its behind the scenes material in a forum thread you made.

You are welcome to contradict my analyses of the 'anime' 'coolness' it attempts to generate. It's telling that, in order to compare the thread to school bullies (and diagnose people with mental problems yourself! - you are literally equating people to children with mental disorders), you purposefully ignored all the posts that really discuss the show. Why you build this fictional universe for yourself is beyond me. I guess it's more comfortable to pretend everyone's a big bad bully than it is to question one's own assumptions.

E: Critical thinking about shows is not wrong. It is, in fact, demanded. If you love Monty Oum's hit series RuhWeeBee so much, you'd want the best for it, right? So why don't you want it to get better?

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 22, 2014

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
What I find more interesting (and funny) is the absolutely bonkers production pipeline and just awful production design for something that actually has a staff and funding behind it. This isn't some pure art house independent person putting his soul out there, this is a product that he was paid money to produce and the results even just on a mechanical level are ridiculous.

Okay, it might be going too far to cast aspersions of Monty's character from just a data point about his keyboard or Poser downgrade. But what can be said is that someone who has made the consistently bad decisions regarding even using Poser or not actually rendering anything or never implementing basic lighting effects, etc. is a person who should not have been given the keys to a production.

However, despite all this, and just the creative bankruptcy of the property itself, it's been successful. Not artistically, nor culturally, but in the way that counts for RoosterTeeth: economically.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 6, 2014

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Hbomberguy posted:

question one's own assumptions.
Yes. Do more of this.

I didn't ignore the other 5 pages of posts. I read them, and agree with most.
I'm not comparing/condemning the whole thread. I sited specific posts. There were maybe five?
I made this thread for criticism/discussion of a show that has much to criticize/discuss. I do have a problem with communal poo poo-canning of a person's character because his work is significantly flawed.

boom boom boom posted:

Sometimes creative efforts are really terrible and deserve making GBS threads on.
Yes. The effort.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Ferretts posted:

Yes. Do more of this.

I didn't ignore the other 5 pages of posts. I read them, and agree with most.
I'm not comparing/condemning the whole thread. I sited specific posts. There were maybe five?
I made this thread for criticism/discussion of a show that has much to criticize/discuss. I do have a problem with communal poo poo-canning of a person's character because his work is significantly flawed.

Yes. The effort.

What have I been unwilling to question?

Also you can't stop people who attack people's characters by calling them meanyheads (or in your case, calling them children with mental disorders). It's better to try and raise the discussion than lower yourself to it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I am pretty sure it's perfectly standard to discuss a work from the context of its origin. And the ludicrous things the creator for RWBY has made public as being part of his creative / production process say an awful lot about both the work and the creator himself.

Tearing off your keys to "save time" is seriously weird, yo.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

While I understand having a passion for the craft, complaining about software updates is really loving dumb. Can't the dude just divide some time out of his busy schedule to learn the new features? The dude literally states that he is racing against the clock because software updates make him less efficient. Yes Monty, they do that to everyone. Most people however adjust to a new interface in 1-3 days.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

While I understand having a passion for the craft, complaining about software updates is really loving dumb. Can't the dude just divide some time out of his busy schedule to learn the new features? The dude literally states that he is racing against the clock because software updates make him less efficient. Yes Monty, they do that to everyone. Most people however adjust to a new interface in 1-3 days.

Hell, he could delay the new episodes by a week or something. It's an internet show, you didn't pay for a timeslot or anything. You're only beholden to yourself.

I'm sure the fanbase wouldn't mind hearing that he'll be taking a week or two off to learn the new features. Plenty of others take short breaks from time to time.

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Hbomberguy posted:

Also you can't stop people who attack people's characters by calling them meanyheads (or in your case, calling them children with mental disorders). It's better to try and raise the discussion than lower yourself to it.

Yes. It's usually a stupid move to pick fights with people on the internet for being mean. Sorry to derail.

Concerning ep 7.5, this show keeps screaming with the video game vibes. Also, if only their were 12 kingdoms...

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Zorak posted:

I'll bite. Why? Shouldn't the desire to save time at least be understandable?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I feel like this is the real-world equivalent of "taking damage to save time."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zorak posted:

I am pretty sure it's perfectly standard to discuss a work from the context of its origin. And the ludicrous things the creator for RWBY has made public as being part of his creative / production process say an awful lot about both the work and the creator himself.

Given he could just as easily set up a custom key board setting on his computer where he disables certain keys, but no, take a screwdriver to a functional key board and tear out certain keys, that's the easiest way to perfect a workflow.

At best Monty seems like a weird guy who set up everything up a very specific way and refuses to learn changes at all, and at worst he's an extreme OCD autistic idiot who adapting to one workflow method and absolutely refuses any change whatsoever to the point of physically damaging his user tools and refusing to adopt any more advanced software no matter what benefits.

And let's not pretend RWBY is anything more then a semi-high profile youtube series controlled by the whims of one crazy animator.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'll bite. Why? Shouldn't the desire to save time at least be understandable?

It's not really understandable. Making a production isn't a loving speedrun. It's okay to be slow and methodical while working! You make less mistakes and it gives you more time to think about your actions, maybe reconsider how a scene should be set or how a certain animation could look better.

Maybe I'm assuming a bit too much here, but if you watch some of the episode breakdown videos Team Four Star put out for DBZ abridged you can see how much effort they put into that series. They go so far to correct animation errors from the original series, remove characters from scenes to set up gags, and make their original overlays look really good. It's really apparent in the production quality that they really give a poo poo about their presentation, while Rooster Teeth...

yeah. Looks like she's got staples in her hands jesus

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Kabanaw posted:

yeah. Looks like she's got staples in her hands jesus

Hey, at least her cheeks are getting visibly stuffed.

Also, I haven't had a left Windows key on my keyboards for over a decade. I was taking some keys out to clean my keyboard, then just decided to not put it back in, and then I got used to finding Ctrl with my pinky for various PC games by the tactile feedback (or lack thereof). It's really not that weird, and it's not physical damage.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The "problem" with removing a key to save time is that there's way more to this than just that. The show could look better if he used an updated version of Poser or, gasp, software that's better suited for animation. It's clearly a passion project for him, he likes what he's doing, but there's a clear limit to how much effort he's putting forth. It sounds like he cares more about the creating than what he's creating.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

If the whole rip-out-keys thing was just someone from production taking some photos of Monty's keyboard and posting them online for laughs, then I agree that it would have been very mean to make fun of it. Everyone has his own personal workflow and I respect that.

But if you are admitting it yourself in a way that you think will make your dedication to your product praiseworthy in the most silly fanboyish you-tube video about a show as crappy as RWBY, then you give everyone free pass to criticise your stupid workflow "tricks".

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Yea I know, and I'm not defending the guy or his actions, and I can't be bothered to even look up the interview or whatever besides 1 Google search for a quote. But using the fact that he modified his keyboard to justify calling him names is pretty weak. There's more than enough to make fun of from just the resulting product.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Kabanaw posted:

Maybe I'm assuming a bit too much here, but if you watch some of the episode breakdown videos Team Four Star put out for DBZ abridged you can see how much effort they put into that series. They go so far to correct animation errors from the original series, remove characters from scenes to set up gags, and make their original overlays look really good.

I haven't really watched much of DBZ abridged but reading that they do this is pretty crazy. They don't even need to do more than make goofy DBZ jokes but are taking the effort to do all that is pretty respectable in my book.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Good Listener posted:

I haven't really watched much of DBZ abridged but reading that they do this is pretty crazy. They don't even need to do more than make goofy DBZ jokes but are taking the effort to do all that is pretty respectable in my book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnQjZk67SME

Basically Kaiser does a LOT of work that most video editors in general don't do outside of like union.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Ferretts posted:

Sure, I'm going to be poo poo on for this, but while reading the last page did anyone else feel like they were in some corner of a school cafeteria listening to a group of mean spirited children talk poo poo about the fat and awkward kid just because they could?
No-one is stopping you from liking RWBY, just like no-one stopped Wickedhate from liking Mahouka, even if the show was objectively terrible and there was some 15 pages of legit criticism by the time the 8th episode had aired. There's a ton of valid points being raised about the show and it's creator, and the piling evidence of him being a spastic, OCD child just continues to undermine his credibility as a ~professional~.

Zorak posted:

Basically this. The decisions and steps a creator takes to reach the end product are totally worth criticizing, especially when it involves stuff like "Here's the formula for how we create cool character names in RWBY! Try it yourself and make some fanfiction!"

Good Listener posted:

TeamFourStar do amazing parody work and I respect them a lot for the effort they put in. I wasn't really impressed by Hellsing Abridged, but DBZ Abridged was really well done. Their jokes and references are pretty well integrated too.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

HiveCommander posted:

TeamFourStar do amazing parody work and I respect them a lot for the effort they put in. I wasn't really impressed by Hellsing Abridged, but DBZ Abridged was really well done. Their jokes and references are pretty well integrated too.

DBZ Abridged also really improved after the first season, when they learned that shouting references doesn't equal comedy gold. Not a huge fan of it but dang, they really looked at what wasn't working for them and took the appropriate steps to fix it. And coming up with original material instead of shouting internet memes? Why, that takes time! :v:

RWBY meanwhile works in "Four score and seven years ago" and "I am not a crook" in the same line of dialogue...because the writer thinks those lines are inherently funny, I guess? Shouting famous presidential lines is such a quirky and random thing to do!

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
And again, I can't stress this enough, the dude is PAID to make this. He is given money with the expectation to put out a decent product, and this is what comes out. I'd be way more forgiving if it really was just this one dude trying to make something he liked; the fact that it's being sold to the public as if it's remotely up to par is what makes it ripe for tearing apart.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Neeksy posted:

And again, I can't stress this enough, the dude is PAID to make this. He is given money with the expectation to put out a decent product, and this is what comes out. I'd be way more forgiving if it really was just this one dude trying to make something he liked; the fact that it's being sold to the public as if it's remotely up to par is what makes it ripe for tearing apart.

The fact of the matter, though, is that he's selling it and people are buying it. This isn't some failed Kickstarter; this is a commercial success resulting in positive returns for Rooster Teeth. He is meeting expectations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

That is entirely irrelevant to whether or not it is justified to criticize him. A commercial product can be criticized, whether or not it is successful.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Takoluka posted:

The fact of the matter, though, is that he's selling it and people are buying it. This isn't some failed Kickstarter; this is a commercial success resulting in positive returns for Rooster Teeth. He is meeting expectations.

People have lovely taste and throw money at stupid things. Doesn't make them not poorly done.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Neeksy posted:

The worst part is that he's got a whole team of trained animators that he's forcing to work with Poser instead of software that they were taught to use and would yield better results regardless. His obsession with "efficiency" is only efficiency for himself. Rather than taking the time to learn how to animate with real software himself, he forced multiple people to take the time to use lovely inferior software just so he could contribute to the animation process without slowing down. He's not actually concerned with producing a good product, he just wants something he can say he made.

There was one "behind the scenes" mini-doc and I could feel the animation team's pain any time they mentioned the process they had to use.

Angry Walrus fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 23, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Angry Walrus posted:

The worst part is that he's got a whole team of trained animators that he's forcing to work with Poser instead of software that they were taught to use and would yield better results regardless. His obsession with "efficiency" is only efficiency for himself. Rather than taking the time to learn how to animate with real software himself, he forced multiple people to take the time to use lovely inferior software just so he could contribute to the animation process without slowing down. He's not actually concerned with producing a good product, he just wants something he can say he made.

There was one "behind the scenes" mini-doc and I could feel the animation team's pain any time they mentioned the process they had to use.

I don't know a lot about animation or animation software, but as much trouble as the guy is, can't they just replace him? Or is his style so distinctive that only he can do it?

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Takoluka posted:

The fact of the matter, though, is that he's selling it and people are buying it.

Basically what this guy said. He brings in the dough and RT isn't going to argue with that, and with animation being a hard to get into field I really doubt the actual animators are going to speak up against the head of the animation department to get fired and be faced with a weak job market.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Angry Walrus posted:

I wonder how much of the weird lack of weight and momentum is a problem with using Poser? Cause the fights I have seen have some really weird timing going on with motion where it is fast and slow in all the wrong places.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
A lot of the fights in the older seasons of RvB where Monty was the only animator felt like they had more weight to them, so I'd chalk it up to him having enough experience with Poser to make it work but the newer animators don't.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

pentyne posted:

I don't know a lot about animation or animation software, but as much trouble as the guy is, can't they just replace him? Or is his style so distinctive that only he can do it?

This is a objectively terrible show that is relatively very popular. For several pages now we have been talking just about the lead animator. Said animator has released a guide for fan fiction writers.

No one would watch the show if they sacked Monty, even if they managed to make it better.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Rexides posted:

This is a objectively terrible show that is relatively very popular. For several pages now we have been talking just about the lead animator. Said animator has released a guide for fan fiction writers.

No one would watch the show if they sacked Monty, even if they managed to make it better.

This is basically it. Monty Oum is the ultimate anime fanboy, and by appreciating 'his work', viewers are vicariously appreciating themselves. This is why relatively straightforward critique ("mutilating your tools and purposefully using a worse version of a software is not good practice") is being imagined as school bullies (with mental disorders, because why not?) picking on a kid in the cafeteria. While the kid is technically Monty Oum, The Oumchild is a stand-in for everyone else who appreciates anime in his very specific way, but didn't ever get the chance to make it themselves. Interesting side-point: Oum is treated as if a frail child, even in the imaginations of those who like him. This is telling.

This ties into my theory about this show and others like it removing all the good parts of anime through obsession with the signifiers of good-ness. Because there's nothing actually good in the show, a fan's discussion of the show necessarily has to revolve around how successful it has been, how much of a workaholic coolguy Monty Oum / Rooster Teeth are, their personal fanfiction character and how they would fit into official canon, and continuous re-insistence that the fights are 'cool'. The point is the part where you actually enjoy the show in some meaningful way is endlessly deferred elsewhere. It is weaponised desire. Monty Oum is a genius in the very specific way the creators of porn are geniuses.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ferretts posted:

Just catching up here...

Exactly. Complaining would just make you come off like a narrow minded asshat...

Like this guy, making GBS threads on someone for making a creative effort. Nevermind that other people find value in it, regardless of their "mental age" and even if nobody at all valued it. What is your justification for making GBS threads on Monty Oum for making RWBY? Did he beat out your superior animated production at the Streamys? If he did, you might have a justifiable beef with the judges, not him. This is being wretched, not critical.

As everyone should. :colbert:

"Guys you can't talk bad because at least he's creating spmething" is the defense of small children who can't handle criticism.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Literally The Worst posted:

"Guys you can't talk bad because at least he's creating spmething" is the defense of small children who can't handle criticism.

It's also super, super revealing about why people like him in the first place. Oum is a nerdy cosplayer with a major anime obsession 'just like me' who actually managed to make something and get popular. See also: Kevin Smith

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Hbomberguy posted:

See also: Kevin Smith

I told you!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You people are taking some guy's choice of 3D graphics package waaay too seriously.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

If Oum had taken his choices more seriously, he would have made better ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

I dunno, you could probably give him the industry best animation suite and tools and he'd still kludge something incredibly mediocre together at best, because he doesn't have the training or skills to produce a quality product. Ideally he'd take the money he's making from this terrible show and invest them in some art and animation classes. Hell if nothing else, a course on the latest version of Poser so he isn't further hamstringing his efforts.

Granted even if it was well-animated it still wouldn't be good because holy poo poo the voicework is hilariously bad and the writing is extremely childish, but at least you might be able to turn off your brain and enjoy the visuals.

• Locked thread