Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Sanguinary Novel posted:

And, uh, I knew of Krypto, but why in the hell is there a Super Horse and a Super Cat?

Okay, buckle up:

Besides Krypto, who was a dog from Krypton that was sent in a test rocket before Jor-El launched baby Kal-El into space that ended up on earth, there is also Streaky, a cat who received super powers (but not the full Superman set like Krypto) when exposed to X-Kryptonite, a variant of Kryptonite that Supergirl accidentally created trying to neutralize green K. Comet the Super-Horse is...complicated, but the short version is that he was originally a centaur who got turned into a magical horse by a wizard and sometimes he turns into a full human when a certain comet comes by and has a secret identity as a rodeo cowboy.

Not pictured is Beppo the Super-Monkey, who has the same origin as Krypto.

These animals were known to travel to the 30th century to aid the Legion of Super-Heroes with the help of a telepathic shape-shifting blob named Proty II. Together they were known as the Legion of Super-Pets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Benito Cereno posted:

but the short version is that he was originally a centaur who got turned into a magical horse by a wizard and sometimes he turns into a full human when a certain comet comes by and has a secret identity as a rodeo cowboy.

This is the short version? :stare:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Look, the Silver Age didn't have time for your super-decompressed storytelling. If you weren't introducing ten new ideas and plot points a page, you didn't get to write comic books!

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

What is this

I don't even

Benito Cereno posted:

These animals were known to travel to the 30th century to aid the Legion of Super-Heroes with the help of a telepathic shape-shifting blob named Proty II. Together they were known as the Legion of Super-Pets.

:catstare: Where do these kind of decisions come from? I can't tell if it comes from a place of apathy, jokes or drugs.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It was a genuinely different time.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Kids like animals, so that helped sell books. Krypto was popular, so they did a cat. Streaky was popular, etc. That's all, really.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

He left out the part where Comet was in love with Supergirl. Which makes the scenes of her riding bareback in a skirt SUPER creepy!

Edit: Also I bet Jor-El eventually wished that he didn't shoot so many animals into space and used those parts to build a bigger people rocket.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Edit: Also I bet Jor-El eventually wished that he didn't shoot so many animals into space

Everyone needs a hobby

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
There's even a panel of baby Kal-El crying because Daddy is shooting his puppy into orbit.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Sanguinary Novel posted:

:catstare: Where do these kind of decisions come from? I can't tell if it comes from a place of apathy, jokes or drugs.

Silver Age Superman is a special kind of surreal. I love its absurdity so much that I've grown to really hate it when I read a dark, serious, Supes story.

"What's the plan today?"

"How about Superman becomes a lion?"

"Print it!"

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Benito Cereno posted:

Comet the Super-Horse is...complicated, but the short version is that he was originally a centaur who got turned into a magical horse by a wizard and sometimes he turns into a full human when a certain comet comes by and has a secret identity as a rodeo cowboy.

Everything about this sentence is awesome and the fact that you close it out with the rodeo cowboy fact is loving amazing.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
"Has a secret identity as a rodeo cowboy" more than doubles the number of questions I have about this character.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Isn't Streaky owned by Power Girl now? Or is that another cat?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

MH Knights posted:

Isn't Streaky owned by Power Girl now? Or is that another cat?
I don't know about post-reboot, but the cat in the Palmiotti/Conner series was the same cat from JLI, according to Amanda C.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Everything about this sentence is awesome and the fact that you close it out with the rodeo cowboy fact is loving amazing.

The link on the previous page has Comet's origin in more detail and the best part of the "Centaur turned into a horse" thing is how it was accidentally done by Circe, who was trying to reward Comet by turning him into a human. For some reason when she was whipping up the "turn into a human" potion she also made a "turn into a horse" one at the same time and then messed up which was which.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

muscles like this? posted:

For some reason when she was whipping up the "turn into a human" potion she also made a "turn into a horse" one at the same time and then messed up which was which.
Well OBVIOUSLY if you're turning a Centaur into a human you're going to have to distill Pure Essence of Horse and Pure Essence of Man to make it happen. Otherwise you risk turning him into a Mantaur (head of a horse, body of a man). And that just isn't good for anything.

Also, you forgot the requisite "A(n evil) Wizard Did It" when explaining how she hosed up when labeling her potions.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Are there any other good summaries of silver age comics madness, other than Seanbaby? The actual comics aren't as amusing to read in full, but when you distill them down they're hilarious. The Comet one made me laugh like a drain.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

FilthyImp posted:

Well OBVIOUSLY if you're turning a Centaur into a human you're going to have to distill Pure Essence of Horse and Pure Essence of Man to make it happen. Otherwise you risk turning him into a Mantaur (head of a horse, body of a man). And that just isn't good for anything.

Also, you forgot the requisite "A(n evil) Wizard Did It" when explaining how she hosed up when labeling her potions.

If you reversed a Centaur wouldn't it just be like a pair of legs with a Horse head about where the waist would be?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Anora posted:

If you reversed a Centaur wouldn't it just be like a pair of legs with a Horse head about where the waist would be?
With chops like those you should be writing for Silver Age Zatanna

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BW #13

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

For all the crap Noto gets about only being able to draw one face, Black Widow is now one of the few women in superhero comics to have distinct facial features. Loving it, and congratulations to the creative team for the longest running solo title for Widow with #13.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I feel like very few comic book faces are distinct on their own if they don't have some obvious feature (eyepatch, beard, etc). If you just showed the faces by themselves without hair or makeup I'm not sure I could pick out most characters from most artists. Bachalo, for example, draws every woman with the same exact face.

That being said, I could pick out Noto's X-23 or BW from just a facial drawing. The only other artist who I think has a distinct face style, to the point that I can pick out a character just from the face, is Cassaday. (reminder: I am an utter noob at comics and I'm sure you guys are going to post a million examples of how I'm dumb).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Somebody said many pages ago, Phil Noto can only draw one face, but it's a good face. There's something to it but when he wants to he can also do some really great unique faces, like the Hulk/Franklin Richards face to face pic.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

He certainly isn't as bad as, say, Jamie McKelvie when it comes to the one face/expression tic. He's definitely a good artist, I wish he was on a better book, though. Black Widow isn't bad by any means, but the art is really the only thing that elevates it for me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vincent posted:

Thor, The Vision, Captain Marvel and Iron Man can fly, what the hell are they doing in a bus?

loving Quicksilver is there too!

The better question is, why are they taking the bus when they can afford taxis?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
So yeah, Tula Lotay on "Supreme: Blue Rose". Linked to fullsize. First four pages of issue #2.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BC posted some stages in the creation of a page of Francis Manapul Detective Comics art.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/09/20/the-artistic-process-francis-manapul-on-detective-comics-34/

I wanna see an issue just in that blue sketch stage. I almost like that the most.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Heresiarch posted:

So yeah, Tula Lotay on "Supreme: Blue Rose". Linked to fullsize. First four pages of issue #2.

This is bleeding incredible.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Flesh Forge posted:

Somebody said many pages ago, Phil Noto can only draw one face, but it's a good face. There's something to it but when he wants to he can also do some really great unique faces, like the Hulk/Franklin Richards face to face pic.

I've seen a few of these, like the Captain America one. Are they part of a series?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Rough Lobster posted:

I've seen a few of these, like the Captain America one. Are they part of a series?

They're from a set called Hank Pym's Photo Archives. Here's an album of them all http://imgur.com/gallery/i2D63

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Superman: Futures End got beautiful art for some reason.

Lee Weeks with Ken Lashley on colouring.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lee Weeks is great and also a super nice dude.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wait what. It looked like black Adam was helping then Superman just phantom zones him?!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The pages don't run together. Black Adam attacked Captain Shazam between those two.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

All from Avengers no. 99 "Art" by Barry Smith

:pwn:

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
That's Barry Windsor-Smith and he's actually quite good. To quote his wikipedia page:

quote:

Windsor-Smith also provided the art for a number of other Marvel Comics titles, including the Ka-Zar stories in Astonishing Tales #3–6 (December 1970 – June 1971) and No. 10 (February 1972),[12] three further issues of The Avengers (#98–100, April–June 1972)[13] – about which he would later remember the nightmare of drawing "all those bloody characters that I didn't give tuppence about",[3]

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Care or not about the characters, you're a professional, put some effort into your trade I say.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Hulk Smash! posted:

Care or not about the characters, you're a professional, put some effort into your trade I say.

To be fair, his art in that in that era was HEAVILY impacted by which inker was assigned to him.

Avengers 66, inks by Syd Shores:

Still from 66, but inks by Smith himself:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Thor looks like he's thanking everyone for making this the year's most bitchin' kegger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Oh man. This panel. The eyes. Iron Man's eyes not being far enough apart. Thor blocking Quicksilver's face. The random Hawkeye hand in the background. That composition is terrible.