Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Our pre-release grand prize averages at around 9 packs for around twenty people, give or take a couple, so people whining about "only a box" blows my mind. Even when I went to LCS with about four to five times the turnout 12 packs was the most you could hope for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Entropic posted:

At 'casual' events like pre-release prize support is really spread out here. Prizes for everyone with a postive record, so I got 9 packs for winning a 5-round 54-player pre-release. That's bad, right?

That depends on your perspective. I'm sure the ~20 people who went 3-2 or better and would have got exactly nothing in prizes under a "top 8 or bust" system don't mind.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

First Bass posted:

Our pre-release grand prize averages at around 9 packs for around twenty people, give or take a couple, so people whining about "only a box" blows my mind. Even when I went to LCS with about four to five times the turnout 12 packs was the most you could hope for.

More or less the same around here.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

goferchan posted:

What do everyone's prereleases cost? I'm curious. Locally a place does it for $25, but if you preregister (Sunday of the previous weekend is your last chance to do this) it's $20. Also, the (free) FNM of the weekend before prerelease, winner gets free prerelease entry. Same for the winner of Modern that Sunday.

30bux here. Prize payouts went:
1st Place - 1 Booster Box (Playoff Rounds will be used for the box if needed)
4 Win Record - 18 Booster Packs
3 Win Record - 9 Booster Packs
2 Win Record - 2 Booster Packs

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

So I didn't really see this until I opened the card and had a good look the art, but Surrak Dragonclaw is wearing a bear's head that's been :siren:cleft the gently caress in half:siren: :black101:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Tracula posted:

How many players was that?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Entropic posted:

How many players was that?

About thirty I think. And it went for four rounds.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Cool Stuff did 4 rounds, and you got more prize support for wins, 1 win got you an M15 pack and 4 wins got you 6 M15, 6 Khans. I forget the exact distribution for 2/3 wins.

Sci Fi didn't have enough people to fire the event, but they sold me a pack for $25, and gave me 3 Khans packs as 'participation'

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Tracula posted:

About thirty I think. And it went for four rounds.

I need to play at your store.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Early testing of GR monsters shows that it is still good! My playtest partner was trying a monoblack aggro build and a mardu midrangy build. If he had 3 or so removal he could fight back, but less than that I games got out of hand. My favorite game, I had 2 courser, mystic, a goblin token, caryatid, xenawalker, chandra. Top card was xenawalker. Exile Xenawalker. + xenawalker 5 mana. Spend 4 play Xenawalker. Top card is now xenabro. +xenawalker, 6 mana. Tap out, 15 mana, cast genesis hydra, play xenabro, haste and double my 13/13 hydra, swing for 26 dmg lethal.

http://deckbox.org/sets/786138

My list. I'm sure it needs some tuning up, but honestly the mana in standard is bananas. I can easily go GR, Naya, Jund, or Temur.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Fun fact for MTGO users: I just realized after a conversation with their tech support that every single ticket you've sent in is archived on the Wizards site (privately) for perusal. http://wizards.custhelp.com/app/account/overview

It's funny reading through it and seeing all the weird bugs that I've forgotten about. Also all the people who weren't banned from Magic Online despite threatening to rape their volunteer response crew, which is weird.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 22, 2014

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Tracula posted:

Even ignoring the box this is a little over 4 packs/entrant, which is pretty good as far as prize support goes.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Jabor posted:

Even ignoring the box this is a little over 4 packs/entrant, which is pretty good as far as prize support goes.

Yeah, it seemed pretty decent and I'm not complaining at all. I went 2-2 so I got two and one of my losses I conceded so he tossed me one of his packs since he went 3-1 because of it instead of 2-1-1 which was fair (we hit time so I took the loss instead of us drawing). What's the etiquette for splitting prizes anyways? Isn't there something to be careful of so there's no collusion technically?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Played 3 events, got around 70 boosters in prizes.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

wildfire1 posted:

Did he get packs for winning? I get 2 packs per match win here, so I would have no problem doing that. Even if he didn't, it's kind of irrelevant. If the kid lost then taking a win instead just gets him paired against better players, being more likely to lose again.

The Prize structure basically had everyone get 2 packs for just showing up and playing in round one, regardless of win or loss. First payout outside of 2 packs was was 3-1 which yielded 6, and then 4-0 was something like 16 or 14 (can't remember). Entry cost was $25. Not bad overall.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Going to start out KTK standard playing Abzan Reanimator. The mana fixing just feels really strong now and I love the idea of whipping back siege rhino and hornet queen. Might also test with rescue from the underworld.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Dungeon Ecology posted:

So I didn't really see this until I opened the card and had a good look the art, but Surrak Dragonclaw is wearing a bear's head that's been :siren:cleft the gently caress in half:siren: :black101:

Everytime I see this man or read something about him, I am reminded that Temur is the best :allears:

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
I haven't done a pre-release. So you put down 25 bucks (usually) and get the pre-release box with how many boosters in it? How much does a booster go for? And then your wins determine how many boosters on top of that you get, depending on what your LGS does and how big the crowd is?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Oraculum Animi posted:

I haven't done a pre-release. So you put down 25 bucks (usually) and get the pre-release box with how many boosters in it? How much does a booster go for? And then your wins determine how many boosters on top of that you get, depending on what your LGS does and how big the crowd is?

You pay $25* and get a booster box of the clan of your choice (where available). The box contains a spindown die, some nifty clan goodies, 5 regular Khans of Tarkir boosters, and a special booster thats seeded with cards that synergize well with your guild choice. You build the very bestest deck you can (any way you like) of no less than 40 cards (including lands), and you play Magic.
The better you do, the more booster packs you get as a reward**.

*actual price may vary
**prize structure may vary depending on you LGS

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Oraculum Animi posted:

Pre-release packs are 5 regular boosters (MSRP 3.99) and a seeded booster, which is basically a color weighted booster (MSRP 3.99? Not sure. It is guaranteed to have a promo foil in it). So that's 6 packs and basically $24 in packs at retail for a payment of somewhere between $25-$30. On top of that you can win prizes, I think wizards supplies 2 boosters per person but a store can choose to provide more than that.

Some places give out the same number of boosters to everyone regardless of record, some pay out to top 8 only, some pay out to anyone with a positive record (like 2-1-1 or better in a 4 round event). So generally you end up with about your money's worth regardless of what else happens, and you get random pack-ins like dice, buttons, stickers, and whatever stuff your store provides like sleeves, etc.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

goferchan posted:

What do everyone's prereleases cost? I'm curious. Locally a place does it for $25, but if you preregister (Sunday of the previous weekend is your last chance to do this) it's $20. Also, the (free) FNM of the weekend before prerelease, winner gets free prerelease entry. Same for the winner of Modern that Sunday.

25 € this side of the pond (~$32). The standard 2 packs / player to prize pool. Winning record gets you prizes, and with the prereleases capped at 32 players / five rounds, I think it generally goes pretty much 15 packs for 5-0, 8 for 4-1, 2 for 3-2.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I've been testing a new mono red deck that uses monastery swiftspear that makes sligh's curve look steep. I can't decide if 15 or 16 lands is right. Swiftspear is definitely insane, though. Between the haste, 2 toughness, and adding 1 damage to all the burn and heroic enablers, it really makes the deck way more viable. And, aside from Firedrinker Satyrs it uses no rares, so I kinda just want to play it unsleeved to add to the rage inducing factor.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Is there any chance that Ob Nixilis is gonna be a bit more in demand now that Khans brought back fetch lands? I could see that shutting down mana fixing really pretty hard in most cases.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Tracula posted:

Is there any chance that Ob Nixilis is gonna be a bit more in demand now that Khans brought back fetch lands? I could see that shutting down mana fixing really pretty hard in most cases.

If he does become more in demand, it won't be because of fetchlands. He doesn't shut anything down, if your opponent is still color screwed on turn 6, you weren't going to lose that game.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Place I usually go to (missed the pre-release, but got to watch everyone else) did the equivalent of 32$ for entrance, had something around 20ish people (it was 5 rounds) and prize support was 1 booster for everyone, then another one for top 8 and such, I think the first person takes something like 5-6 boosters in total.

Yeah, it's bad, and no it's not just this store being stingy - it's like this all over the place.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
$25 to enter at my LGS, paid out 22 packs each for all of top 8, and 4 each to all of top 16, with like 50 people... I'd find a new store, man.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

ShadeofBlue posted:

If he does become more in demand, it won't be because of fetchlands. He doesn't shut anything down, if your opponent is still color screwed on turn 6, you weren't going to lose that game.

Ugh, right. It had just slipped my mine completely how high his cost was.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Tracula posted:

The thing is that by the time Ob Nixilis is out both people already have access to six mana, so it's easy to play around the shuffle punishment.

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk
Even if your opponent is playing some slow control deck and has wound up in a situation where they've been waiting on cracking a fetchland for some reason, they'll just crack it in response to Ob Nix hitting the table.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Jenx posted:

Place I usually go to (missed the pre-release, but got to watch everyone else) did the equivalent of 32$ for entrance, had something around 20ish people (it was 5 rounds) and prize support was 1 booster for everyone, then another one for top 8 and such, I think the first person takes something like 5-6 boosters in total.

Yeah, it's bad, and no it's not just this store being stingy - it's like this all over the place.

Assuming a top-8 payout of 6-4-3-3-2-2-2-2 (plus one pack for everyone who misses top 8), that's at least close to 2 packs/entrant. Assuming that by "20ish people" you mean just barely enough for 5 rounds. Paying out packs to everyone takes a lot out of the prize pool.

That said, charging $32 but not putting anything extra into the prize pool is pretty bad.

Shovelmint posted:

$25 to enter at my LGS, paid out 22 packs each for all of top 8, and 4 each to all of top 16, with like 50 people... I'd find a new store, man.

This one works out at about 4 packs/player.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Assuming wizards does indeed give out 2/player for a prerelease, paying $25 should give out 3.25/player. That's based on a typical $120 box and $15 draft splitting a box evenly for 8 people. Honolulu stores charge only $18/player and it seems like $20 should be max if a store is only giving out their free 2/player. Anything above should strictly be put in the prize pool. Guess it's a tradition in the mainland to keep extra packs for a prerelease?

Actually the $15 draft is insane too. It's only $10 in Hawaii and cost of living is much higher there than here in the mainland so why are drafts so expensive here?

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 22, 2014

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I may have already posted this but my LGS is £25 for entry (multiple events get a discount) you get a soft drink and sleeves, and prize support is 2 packs for entry, and then a pack per win, though the win packs are normally previous set as they don't get the new set stock in from the supplier for prerelease (though they'd love to.)

(your "entry" packs are of the new set, so Khans this weekend.)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Chill la Chill posted:

Assuming wizards does indeed give out 2/player for a prerelease, paying $25 should give out 3.25/player. That's based on a typical $120 box and $15 draft splitting a box evenly for 8 people. Honolulu stores charge only $18/player and it seems like $20 should be max if a store is only giving out their free 2/player. Anything above should strictly be put in the prize pool. Guess it's a tradition in the mainland to keep extra packs for a prerelease?

Actually the $15 draft is insane too. It's only $10 in Hawaii and cost of living is much higher there than here in the mainland so why are drafts so expensive here?

You're drafting for $10, but the place sells boxes for $120? I guess your store is using good prices to draw people in who buy boxes. I've seen places run more profitable drafts but they will sell boxes for $100, or places with cheaper drafts tend to have more expensive boxes.

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011
My LGS does Sealed packs for $40 :australia:
You get 1 pack for a draw and 2 packs for a win, from a 4-round event - so 4 packs per person in the prize pool. Or if you scrub out and lose all 4, you'll get a pack anyways as a consolation.

Luckily, most people are happy to ID and split the prize support and just play some chill games, but some of the grinders take their games super seriously and bust their balls for that extra prize pack.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

You're drafting for $10, but the place sells boxes for $120? I guess your store is using good prices to draw people in who buy boxes. I've seen places run more profitable drafts but they will sell boxes for $100, or places with cheaper drafts tend to have more expensive boxes.

No. I am only using the $120 figure to describe the $15 drafts that are run in the mainland. The point is: even if we take that as a baseline why is it an accepted thing to continue purchasing prerelease product from stores that are pocketing the extra packs? I'm sure stores use the fact that not many people know of the free product they are given by wizards specifically for a prerelease to their sole advantage instead of giving more generously.

I only did the star city event because I got extra product for my extra dollars, as it should be.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 22, 2014

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Jenx posted:

I had to pay €27,50 and went 4-0 and won the event, I got 3 price packs. They give everyone 1 price pack for each match won beyond the first round, so that's a max of 3 for the winner. It's horrible if you win but more fair for all the newer players. Nobody left without a price pack so everyone feels a bit satisfied.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

lockdar posted:

I had to pay €27,50 and went 4-0 and won the event, I got 3 price packs. They give everyone 1 price pack for each match won beyond the first round, so that's a max of 3 for the winner. It's horrible if you win but more fair for all the newer players. Nobody left without a price pack so everyone feels a bit satisfied.

Wow. I mean, I get being fair and all and wanting everyone to feel good but that just seems really almost to the point of why even have prizes and just give everyone two packs just for showing up, regardless of win/loss?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Chill la Chill posted:

My LGS's prize payouts are pretty mediocre.

Prerelease:
Entry fee: $30
Format: 4 rounds swiss
Prizes: 2 Packs per player in the prize pool
Prize Structure:
4-0 = 8 packs
3-0-1 = 6 packs
3-1 = 4 packs
2-2 or better 1 pack

FNM draft:
$15
3 Rounds
Pack per win. 4 packs for 3-0

Standard/Modern/Legacy:
$5
4 rounds
4 wins = 5 packs
3 wins = 3 packs
2 wins = 1 pack
0-1 wins = 0 packs

EDH:
Free
Prize box of uncommons, some promos, some "good" uncommons. 1v1 winner = 1 draw, group winner = 2 draws, group not-winners 1 draw

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

lockdar posted:

That's more or less what they do here as well. Everyone gets a single pack, regardless of how they did, and the top 8 players get a couple more, but still - why bother winning when that means just 2-3 packs more?

I know it's a prerelease and it's not supposed to be super competitive, but at this point why should I bother giving money for it? So I can get a decent life counter and a free pack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Jenx posted:

So I can get a decent life counter and a free pack?

This is something I forgot to mention but I really like the new spindowns. They're extremely clear and easy to read. A buddy of mine has a bunch of older ones and some are absolute nightmares to see what the gently caress they are. I think one is dark blue with gold numbers and I just want to throw that loving thing away any time I see it.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 22, 2014

• Locked thread