Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh joyyyyyy, Amnesia the Dark Descent in Starbound. Hoorayyyyyy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Yikes, didn't think that this would garner such an overwhelmingly negative reaction. Is it really that overdone?
Well, whatever. Guess this one goes in the bad idea pile.

v got me dead to rights there

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 22, 2014

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

much like the rest

of your posting

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cicadas! posted:

Yikes, didn't think that this would garner such an overwhelmingly negative reaction. Is it really that overdone?

I think it's one of those things that is "Neat idea, but the execution would probably be awkward as hell, AT BEST" :v:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Cicadas I believe in your pixel art abilities!!

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Section Z posted:

I think it's one of those things that is "Neat idea, but the execution would probably be awkward as hell, AT BEST" :v:

The Starbound story.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Cicadas! posted:

I dunno, I actually think an artificially dark dungeon could be used in some clever/terribly mean ways. Ideally you'd have custom-built monsters to take advantage of the fact that you have limited visibility and a shitton of traps.

Sanity affects would bit a bit too much on the nose - just let it be darkness and nothing else.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The thread's going down speculation road, which is a dangerous way to go while riding the chucklefish express.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Devour or Fire posted:

The thread's going down speculation road, which is a dangerous way to go while riding the chucklefish express.
but trains don't go on roads

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Devour or Fire posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWtCittJyr0

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Its kinda funny how all the goons were positive on this game and now they aren't.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Vib Rib posted:

but trains don't go on roads

"We're planning on doing things a little different than the industry standard." -tiy

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Devour or Fire posted:

The only thing keeping the game alive right now is patience and mods, so I think mod discussion (and stuff related to it, like "Wouldn't it be cool if..." scenarios) is fine, because we're definitely out of the other thing.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Motherfucker posted:

Its kinda funny how all the goons were positive on this game and now they aren't.

I'm still positive!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I think it is updating too slow. It should update faster. Till than I've already spent my money and therefore my vote and should shut my whore mouth.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Storkblunt

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Motherfucker posted:

A few making enough noise can drown anything out!

I miss the people defending too much dirt.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 22, 2014

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So if nothing has really changed, are there cool mods/modpacks out to make the experience a little more refreshing? I finished the beacon boss a few hours ago and things are feeling repetitive again.

Also is there any reason to dig deep? Most of what's valuable seems to hang out in the surface or in towns/castles/jails/labs.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Jackard posted:

A few making enough noise can drown anything out!

I miss the people defending too much dirt.

I'm kinda surprised Chuckleployees decided to keep posting here after the dirt thing. That derail got weird, and way too involved.
I guess it was kind of tame after what came before it, though.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Avocados posted:

So if nothing has really changed, are there cool mods/modpacks out to make the experience a little more refreshing? I finished the beacon boss a few hours ago and things are feeling repetitive again.

Also is there any reason to dig deep? Most of what's valuable seems to hang out in the surface or in towns/castles/jails/labs.

Not in current stable, no. Though as of this moment, the development plan involves needing to dig real deep into your starter world to find core fragments, so your ship is allowed to fly at all. There has also been mention of implementing stronger monsters the deeper you go. And no mention of if they stop making the temperature suddenly drop to "eventually Lethal even with snow gear" all of a sudden as you get farther down sometimes.

So, in current stable, no. In upcoming release, yes you kind of have to even if it might suck. See also, needing to mine stuff from a Moon after unlocking oxygen tank to fix your FTL drive. But you do not unlock a personal heat generator until the next tier, before needing to mine asteroids. So you will probably need to go mining on the moon wearing snow trooper gear. When you drop ore on death. When it's the stated intention you will die in three hits to monsters +1 level above your armor (So, nearly nonexistent armor value snow gear compared to copper and iron expectant enemies, oh my).

EDIT: Individually not worrying (well, aside from how much of timesink for the sake of timesink dropping progress on death is), but when you put it all together, it starts to add up as "Wait, what?"

Need to have top tier armor for the area to not die in 3 hits. Well okay.
Need to have air tank and snow gear to survive on the moon, well okay.
Need to dig up special special rocks to fix your FTL drive, on the moon. Well okay.

Need to wear snow gear on the moon, digging up rocks you drop on death, while things might will kill you in 3 hits or less... Well, poo poo.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 22, 2014

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Section Z posted:

Not in current stable, no. Though as of this moment, the development plan involves needing to dig real deep into your starter world to find core fragments, so your ship is allowed to fly at all. There has also been mention of implementing stronger monsters the deeper you go. And no mention of if they stop making the temperature suddenly drop to "eventually Lethal even with snow gear" all of a sudden as you get farther down sometimes.

So, in current stable, no. In upcoming release, yes you kind of have to even if it might suck. See also, needing to mine stuff from a Moon after unlocking oxygen tank to fix your FTL drive. But you do not unlock a personal heat generator until the next tier, before needing to mine asteroids. So you will probably need to go mining on the moon wearing snow trooper gear. When you drop ore on death. When it's the stated intention you will die in three hits to monsters +1 level above your armor (So, nearly nonexistent armor value snow gear compared to copper and iron expectant enemies, oh my).

EDIT: Individually not worrying (well, aside from how much of timesink for the sake of timesink dropping progress on death is), but when you put it all together, it starts to add up as "Wait, what?"

Need to have top tier armor for the area to not die in 3 hits. Well okay.
Need to have air tank and snow gear to survive on the moon, well okay.
Need to dig up special special rocks to fix your FTL drive, on the moon. Well okay.

Need to wear snow gear on the moon, digging up rocks you drop on death, while things might will kill you in 3 hits or less... Well, poo poo.

I've been playing nightly builds only since they started releasing them and I can tell you that the magnitude of how 'Well, poo poo' these changes are all together is being greatly overestimated. Don't stand still, block, watch for the obvious and generous telegraphs, pop some health stims or a burger between encounters if you need to, and generally don't fight a stand up fight if you don't have to.

Really, all you need is 'Don't stand still' and 'block'

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Magmarashi posted:

This is all well and good for single-player and host play, but the second you're a client, the game stops caring about your silly rules like "hitboxes needing to connect on your screen."

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

They need to not make you beam down from your flying spaceship and use your high-tech matter manipulator digger tree-cutter master tool to build yourself a pickaxe out of wood and stone, holy poo poo.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

This is all well and good for single-player and host play, but the second you're a client, the game stops caring about your silly rules like "hitboxes needing to connect on your screen."

Well, poo poo, there are AAA game developers that still can't sort that poo poo out. Dark Souls 2 Still has the jankiest loving hit detection some times with invaders, and the Arena matches are worse than connection issues in Dark Souls 1 even.

Reiley posted:

They need to not make you beam down from your flying spaceship and use your high-tech matter manipulator digger tree-cutter master tool to build yourself a pickaxe out of wood and stone, holy poo poo.

Partial Upcoming Changelog posted:

* Drills, pickaxes and other mining tools now break permanently but have far greater power. Provide temporary mining boost.
* Matter Manipulator can now be permanently upgraded and improved

http://pastebin.com/jnZfRNL4

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 22, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Competitive multiplayer games (which is what my understanding of what DS2 has is) makes sense: you need to have host-client communication for hit detection for it to be a (mostly) level playing field, and the second you do client-side hit detection, you're opening yourself up to all kinds of cheaters taking advantage of the fact that everything is calculated on their side and the host has little to no say in whether or not they were actually hit.

The disadvantage to client-side hit detection in cooperative multiplayer games like Mercenary Kings or whatever is that sometimes you get weird visual glitches like the host seeing the client get hit, then the client sprite teleports around for a split-second to correct themselves when the client reports, "that's not what I saw on my screen." Maybe they're planning some sort of competitive element like Terraria has, but for now, the host telling you that you're dead when you definitely aren't really gets in the way of enjoying the game if you're connecting to someone, and it's only exacerbated if you have a lovely ISP.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Magmarashi posted:

I've been playing nightly builds only since they started releasing them and I can tell you that the magnitude of how 'Well, poo poo' these changes are all together is being greatly overestimated. Don't stand still, block, watch for the obvious and generous telegraphs, pop some health stims or a burger between encounters if you need to, and generally don't fight a stand up fight if you don't have to.

Doesn't make it any less of a slog to have to eat a roast bannana every single time you get hit by an enemy, lest you die in one more hit and lose all progress. Or, whoops you tripped into a barely visible single tile of poison, again.

And any other number of things that makes it a slog regardless of "Well if you TRY hard enough, and take frequent breaks, then you can survive exploring more than 10 feet at a time in your exploration game :rolleyes:"

EDIT: vvv Still doesn't take away "drop your progress on death" as a time waster. Or still having to drop everything because you got hurt due to no convenient healing methods outside of "pray your farm production outpaces damage". I know they will probably add an option to turn drops on death off, but still not a change for the exploration end. Just a change for holding you back.

But if you've played it a lot, how's the healing downtime when you hit Impervium armor and take a few hits? You know, naturally. Not just 'I found a doctor so I can pay him money for heal stims" Healing when you were up to impervium armor back in stable land was a complete bitch, because all you really had increased was your Hitpoints, and not the ability to refill them in a practical manner outside of "Time to choke down one or more bannana breads, because a bird spit on me."

I mean, I would love to be wrong on this matter. But so far the only 'evidence' that isn't just saying NUH UH is the 'Well, I don't have a problem with it so you must be wrong or bad' sort. I'm not being told it isn't a problem, I'm being told "Just heal if you get hit, but you shouldn't let yourself get hit in the first place.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 22, 2014

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Section Z posted:

Doesn't make it any less of a slog to have to eat a roast bannana every single time you get hit by an enemy, lest you die in one more hit and lose all progress. Or, whoops you tripped into a barely visible single tile of poison, again.

And any other number of things that makes it a slog regardless of "Well if you TRY hard enough, and take frequent breaks, then you can survive exploring more than 10 feet at a time in your exploration game :rolleyes:"

I think I shall amend that to 'grossly overestimated' rather than greatly. It really isn't anywhere near as hard or as bad as you are saying. It really, really isn't. I've played it, I know.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Magmarashi posted:

I think I shall amend that to 'grossly overestimated' rather than greatly. It really isn't anywhere near as hard or as bad as you are saying. It really, really isn't. I've played it, I know.

Nope, it's actually really annoying and bad.

Similar to your

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
I believe you mean "simular to you are" (lack of capitalization intentional) indicating both a casual disregard for grammar, as well as the other poster's position, and perhaps even the argument itself.

:goonsay:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Magmarashi posted:

I think I shall amend that to 'grossly overestimated' rather than greatly.

Don't worry, I'm sure your girlfriend will forgive you.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Ernie Muppari posted:

I believe you mean "simular to you are" (lack of capitalization intentional) indicating both a casual disregard for grammar, as well as the other poster's position, and perhaps even the argument itself.

:goonsay:

No.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The game really needs innate rapid out-of-combat healing if you're expected to regularly go under half health.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Tenebrais posted:

The game really needs innate rapid out-of-combat healing if you're expected to regularly go under half health.

Hyper pup-tents! Pup-tents of the Future!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Tenebrais posted:

I vaguely remember dragging a sleeping bag with you and burying yourself before using it worked as a kludgy, time consuming version of this.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

The Moon Monster posted:

I vaguely remember dragging a sleeping bag with you and burying yourself before using it worked as a kludgy, time consuming version of this.

In stable, it worked okay at first. But as tiers and armor progress went on even the most powerful of beds would take ages to fill up a fraction of your health. EDIT: Bandages also suffered from this, and the fact using more than one until the slow heal over time finished wasted them. Those became a "Constantly use every moment they will heal you" spam item for healing on the go, once you've found seeds to grow plant fiber trees on your home planet and can be swimming in bandages.

I did appreciate that they added in the fact chairs paused your hunger condition. No pause button meant I couldn't deal with other stuff without risking starving to death until that, so I would always bring the fanciest chair possible along with me.

Yeah there's save and quit, but that kills all progress when you are halfway around and inside the world, so I guess gently caress me for not dedicating my whole day to nonstop no interruptions playing a happy fun exploration game without that chair upgrade.

EDIT: vvv Both thing's I've wonder before 'why isn't this an option or even talked about as a dev plan?' But baby steps, at least the various environmental systems are stated to be bundled in with higher tier armors. Oxygen tank, then heat generation (No more needing snow gear for the the best cold protection until you finally hit Impervium!), the other bits. Like I've said, so many cool things and they are paying attention to QoL details, like essential tools getting their own quickbar. Just not everything is stuff I agree with or think is a cool idea, and that's pretty much entirely in the survivability/combat :airquote: "progression" and progress loss timesink category.

Back when stable was more fresh and popular, some goon made a nifty upgradable estus flask mod. I never got around to using it myself, stubborn insane Vanilla player that I am (Except for the 'plants actually grow when you're not babysitting the' mod, now supposedly no longer needed)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 22, 2014

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

How about high-tier armors just have a health recharge ability built in to help deal with the fact that you have an increased health pool but bandages heal a tiny fraction of that?

Or have bandages just heal a straight percentage of health instead of an amount?

Johnnyonoes
Feb 4, 2008
Hates people, but likes groups

Tenebrais posted:

Doesn't food fit the bill? I remember bailing on bandages all together and made myself 1k of a food item, and that was good enough for me when I was max tiered.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

making a thousand of something and it just being "good enough" doesn't sound like it fits the bill.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Johnnyonoes posted:

Doesn't food fit the bill? I remember bailing on bandages all together and made myself 1k of a food item, and that was good enough for me when I was max tiered.

I really meant in the sense of not needing items to do it. Food can work but if you're scarfing down a hog roast every other battle then you're going to spend a lot of time grinding items in lower safe tiers to survive the one you actually want to explore in. Especially if you picked a race whose starting recipes require meat and/or seeds that you don't have and need to explore a dozen planets to find any of just to get you started there.

If combat is tuned so that every battle can kill you, you need to run into each one fresh. Adding attrition is going to limit your exploring severely, and if you're going underground you can too easily get into the situation where you can't get to safety before you die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, I have to agree, the combat system should functionally be balanced around percentage healing, at least. Healing items doing a flat rate instead of a portion of your health will always result in rapidly decreasing usefulness. Beds and food and bandages should rely on healing based on your max HP.

I mean, personally, I always thought that defense and health served mostly the same purpose in any game that didn't have armor piercing effects, so it's kind of redundant anyway.

• Locked thread