Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

If you also have a Mac you can sync them to iPhoto if the phone will maintain wired connection long enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

bronin posted:

Why would you do that?
Because I've heard that it's supposed to help the battery's overall lifespan. Is that incorrect?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Variable_H posted:

Everyone keeps talking about the crazy battery life of the new phones, but I've only seen a nominal improvement. Where my 5S could do about 4.5 hours of heavy use, my 6 is getting about 6 hours. It's a definite improvement, but nothing like what people are saying.

33% is pretty nice.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

So reachability chat, I think it's great on the regular 6, even though I claw grip the back to get access to the whole phone most of the time

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Because I've heard that it's supposed to help the battery's overall lifespan. Is that incorrect?

Li-ion batteries don't need to be conditioned, I think that was a NiCd/NiMH thing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Your phone battery requires no maintenance. A laptop battery may if it is in a situation where it literally never gets unplugged otherwise.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ah, alright. Thanks for clarifying. At least it was one more thing that impressed me about this phone in the first few days of owning it :shobon:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

I'm attempting to power cycle it
Ahh, so you are crazy.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

XyrlocShammypants posted:

So reachability chat, I think it's great on the regular 6, even though I claw grip the back to get access to the whole phone most of the time
I thought reachability was laughably dumb, until I played around with a phone in the store today. The double tap gesture is really natural and, while I have big hands, dropping down the top of the screen is way easier than reaching depending on how you're holding it. Also have to remark how amazingly thin and light the thing is. Compared to my gigantic current phone it was pretty astonishing. It's pretty gorgeous piece of design, even it isn't something innovative. I still think the protruding camera is dumb after handling/looking at the store model, but everyone says it's ignorable day to day so v0v.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Feenix posted:

Hey all of you with SixPluses. How are you liking it after a few days? Adapting to the largesse? Able to use it efficiently? Bought a wheelbarrow for mobility? Do tell. :)

I'm loving it so far. The screen is absolutely gorgeous and the camera is aces. It's perfect for watching videos on. I have largeish hands so I can use it one handed pretty well. Don't have a case yet though, so that may change my perception a bit.

I've been getting lots of comments in public, and my friends' first reactions have all been "holy poo poo that's huge" essentially.

Only real complaint is the amount of apps that still haven't updated for the larger screen. They look like my dad's phone with the font size set to the max.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I'm loving it so far. The screen is absolutely gorgeous and the camera is aces. It's perfect for watching videos on. I have largeish hands so I can use it one handed pretty well. Don't have a case yet though, so that may change my perception a bit.

I've been getting lots of comments in public, and my friends' first reactions have all been "holy poo poo that's huge" essentially.

Only real complaint is the amount of apps that still haven't updated for the larger screen. They look like my dad's phone with the font size set to the max.

Just a small FYI, but a *lot* of apps are being updated today.

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE
Any word when the Arstechnica review will be up? They're pretty comprehensive so I'm assuming they usually get put up a while after release.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

agentq posted:

Got the wife the iPhone 6 while on vacation this weekend. We set it up as a new phone since we were gone. Her old phone is a 16gb 4S. The thing is so full she can't take another picture without deleting an old one first. I can't back it up via computer because it says the phone disconnected during the backup process. I can't drag the photos off the phone without it disconnecting either. I did back it up to iCloud.

How do I get the pictures from the old phone to the new one?

She can't backup to iCloud?

Edit: too early in the morning. Backing up to iCloud is all you needed

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Like others said the conditioning isn't necessary with newer battery technology anymore. It's just so ingrained in people's minds back from the days of nimh batteries.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
looks like I solved my incessantly ringing ringtone issue by changing the time to something else. so weird.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Trip report with a 6+ through the weekend.

Pleasantly surprised how usable the phone has been one handed. Browsing stuff (just needing to scroll and occasionally tap) is super easy and I've managed to send a few texts with just my thumb. Holding the phone while laying down has taken some adjustment due to the size/weight of the thing but I've gotten fairly used to it already. The phone itself is fantastic and the screen is just gorgeous. I picked up the Apple silicone case and it's actually pretty nice as well. I normally go caseless but I figure while I get used to the bigger size, better to be safe. One nice thing about the phones being so thin is that once a case is on there it doesn't feel like some ungodly thick brick like my 5 always ended up feeling like. I've had at least 6 strangers stop my and ask me what my phone was or if it was the + over the weekend, I imagine that will die down but it was still an odd experience as it's never happened with previous iPhones.

A+, would buy again.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

DarkJC posted:

Apple's backup system is insanely good and why wouldn't you restore?

This constant "set it up as a new device" poo poo is getting to be as bad as advising people to close all their apps all the time.

Is this the consensus here? I asked about this earlier in the thread; I'm still not sure whether to restore from backup or set my incoming 6+ up as a new device. I'd really like to keep my messages and not lose hours reinstalling / reconfiguring poo poo, but my backup dates back to 2009 (I've never set any of my iPhones up as new devices since I first got into the ecosystem with the 3GS).

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Wengy posted:

Is this the consensus here? I asked about this earlier in the thread; I'm still not sure whether to restore from backup or set my incoming 6+ up as a new device. I'd really like to keep my messages and not lose hours reinstalling / reconfiguring poo poo, but my backup dates back to 2009 (I've never set any of my iPhones up as new devices since I first got into the ecosystem with the 3GS).

I've had an iPhone since the first one. It's fine.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

I've had an iPhone since the first one. It's fine.

Good to know. But I just checked and I literally have 4 gigs of "other" on my 4S. Is there any way to restore from backup and get rid of all that cruft?

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE

Wengy posted:

Good to know. But I just checked and I literally have 4 gigs of "other" on my 4S. Is there any way to restore from backup and get rid of all that cruft?

You might need to do a bit of Googling, but I'm sure I read a while ago that when connected to iTunes there's some sort of script you can run that will remove it. Might have my wires crossed though.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
MacRumors is aflutter with talk about their phones bending in their pocket. Some idiots are even calling other people idiots for putting their phones in their pockets. As someone who doesn't have their phone yet is this a real issue or just MacRumors being MacRumors? Anyone have their phones bend in their pocket? It seems to be more prevalent in the 6+.

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE

EpicNemesis posted:

MacRumors is aflutter with talk about their phones bending in their pocket. Some idiots are even calling other people idiots for putting their phones in their pockets. As someone who doesn't have their phone yet is this a real issue or just MacRumors being MacRumors? Anyone have their phones bend in their pocket? It seems to be more prevalent in the 6+.

I haven't seen reports like that anywhere other than MacRumors. Bearing in mind that is the forum with current threads titled "Men Who Own the Gold iPhone" and "Best non-abrasive anti-bacterial cleaner".

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Any time I've had a ton of "other" stuff on my phone I would backup to iTunes, restore the phone to factory settings, then restore from that same backup and that storage space would magically return to me.

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."
One guy said on the last page that it seemed like people in this thread liked the 6 more than the 6 Plus by a scale of like, 10:1.

My counter argument is that there's probably a decent amount of people who are dying for a 6 Plus and are still waiting for it to appear.

:(

Edit: I have a 4.7" phone now and I have my 6 Plus case that was shipped to me and I love the size. I don't have very big hands (Size large batting glove. Does that help? Probably not) but I use my current phone with two hands most of the time anyway.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.
I got my iPhone 6.

The 240fps slo mo really makes it all worth it. As soon as I took a video of one of my kids sitting on a whoopee cushion, and then the other kid pretending to puke mouth wash into the sink, I fell in love and realized that this phone is worth its weight in gold.

edit: Oh yeah, the cat chasing a laser pointer is pretty cool too.

Begby fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 22, 2014

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Ah, alright. Thanks for clarifying. At least it was one more thing that impressed me about this phone in the first few days of owning it :shobon:

bronin posted:

Like others said the conditioning isn't necessary with newer battery technology anymore. It's just so ingrained in people's minds back from the days of nimh batteries.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Ahh, so you are crazy.

withak posted:

Your phone battery requires no maintenance. A laptop battery may if it is in a situation where it literally never gets unplugged otherwise.

Dewgy posted:

Li-ion batteries don't need to be conditioned, I think that was a NiCd/NiMH thing.

Apple recommends you fully discharge your phone at least once. It may not be about conditioning the battery so much as calibrating the battery power meter for the OS.

*Braces for everyone to rush in and tell me how stupid I am*

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Apple recommends you fully discharge your phone at least once. It may not be about conditioning the battery so much as calibrating the battery power meter for the OS.

*Braces for everyone to rush in and tell me how stupid I am*

I had never heard about this until my wife bought her 5c last year and the AT&T rep told her to do it. I've always charged mine up fully as soon as I got it home.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

ShoogaSlim posted:

Any time I've had a ton of "other" stuff on my phone I would backup to iTunes, restore the phone to factory settings, then restore from that same backup and that storage space would magically return to me.
This is why I don't like using backups and usually restore my phone from scratch every so often.

What causes this "Other" data?

eames
May 9, 2009

Looks like bendgate™ is a thing with the new iPhone 6 Plus.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1785905

Some also reported that their regular iPhone 6s are bent from sitting down with the phone in the jeans pocket. I don’t have mine yet but I wonder if I should sell this one and buy a later one where this issue might be fixed (i.e. by machining a bit less material around the sim slot). :tinfoil:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

EpicNemesis posted:

I've been seeing this posted on The Verge's facebook posts by other people (which I really shouldn't even bother reading, it is a cesspool of dumb), people getting really upset that A. Apple made a phone as big as the Note and B. Apple being pioneers for big phones and C. a phone that big is either the worst or best thing ever.

Sometimes it's so hard to not touch the poop.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

eames posted:

Some also reported that their regular iPhone 6s are bent from sitting down with the phone in the jeans pocket. I don’t have mine yet but I wonder if I should sell this one and buy a later one where this issue might be fixed (i.e. by machining a bit less material around the sim slot). :tinfoil:

Goddamn. That's pretty bad and I would be pissed if my $650 device was that easily bent.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

EpicNemesis posted:

Wouldn't be shocked at all. It's longer and thinner and aluminum isn't magic. If you look at a teardown, these phones are a sandwich of screen, battery, and back case. If you apply even a bit of force, all three of those will bend, but only the aluminum will stay bent afterwards.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
So far my 6 has been running like a dream since I got it but with one thing I can not work out. Every so often, seemingly completely randomly it will vibrate like a notification ... like I was getting a text or something. But I can not work out what it is. It isn't texts, emails etc... I tried shutting all apps down. Turning off all notifications. Yet sometimes I'll just have it buzz and I can not work out what the hell it is.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
Re: bendgate

The same thing happened with the previous generation of the iPhone. Lesson - don't sit on your phone if you keep it in your back pocket.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

When will appending '-gate' stop being the go-to scandal name? How about we start using a different historical scandal to coin these names? Bend-hook or Tail-bend? Hello? Is this thing on?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

eames posted:

I think you're safe as long as you don't do dumb things like drive for 8 hours with your giant phone in your pocket.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

eames posted:

The cadence of that post reminds me of the Onion's autistic reporter.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

supersteve posted:

Re: bendgate

The same thing happened with the previous generation of the iPhone. Lesson - don't sit on your phone if you keep it in your back pocket.

That actually looks pretty cool.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

thepokey posted:

So far my 6 has been running like a dream since I got it but with one thing I can not work out. Every so often, seemingly completely randomly it will vibrate like a notification ... like I was getting a text or something. But I can not work out what it is. It isn't texts, emails etc... I tried shutting all apps down. Turning off all notifications. Yet sometimes I'll just have it buzz and I can not work out what the hell it is.

Maybe you have repeat alerts turn on. I think it is on by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

Mr. Fix It posted:

When will appending '-gate' stop being the go-to scandal name? How about we start using a different historical scandal to coin these names? Bend-hook or Tail-bend? Hello? Is this thing on?

I would prefer to call it the bananaphone scandal but all the other pages are already calling it bendgate so I went with that. :(

Admittedly I did some pretty stupid things with my iPhone 5 in my pocket but it never bent at all, so if the 6 is similarly rigid then I have to assume that the macrumors guys indeed ran trucks over their phones.