Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I am almost having more fun with the core game now. poo poo isn't wildly changing every month like the many lrm armageddons and horrible hitbox/netcode bullshit. Only 3 clan mechs can be called OP and even then you learn how to deal with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The timber wolf is still a huge problem. It just outdoes every other heavy in any imaginable way.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

After a while, you just get used to getting kicked in the junk eh?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

After a while, you just get used to getting kicked in the junk eh?

We seem to win most of the time. The legend of Lowtax is still strong in the pubbie masses. A lot of the time they SQUAAAWWWK for us. It's really quite entertaining.

DicksMcGee
Apr 17, 2012
Solopubbed in a VND-1AA Vindicator, we won. 5 assists, 0 kills, 1 death, 72 damage... Not exactly a good round in my book, but I wasn't mixed in with the brawl. I feel like I helped a little though by basically keeping a couple of the other team's light mechs away from our heavies and assaults while they brawled with the other team. I'm still playing around with loadouts, trying to figure out what works best in practice. Has anyone tried a Vindy yet or are they too garbage and I should quit while I'm ahead?

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Oh god, I had to see the poo poo for myself to understand just how far they've fallen in terms of fun, what a loving clunky mess it's become.

I was trying some pub games to get a feel for it but they just couldn't stay alive, 5/5 games were lost because there were things like shithead Direwolves with quad-ultra 5's and lurms loving everywhere.

Welp, time to uninstall and see if it will get any better or if it's a permanent shitstain in my gaming list.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Fil5000 posted:

When I give money to EA Ubisoft 2K PGI it's because I enjoy their content and expect much more from them.

When you give money to EA Ubisoft 2K PGI it's because you're a loving retard funding terrible developers who don't deliver on their promises and are money grubbing, shady business-practicing whores.

:chord:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Why would anyone solo drop when they can play with goons. :shepicide:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kazvall posted:

Why would anyone solo drop when they can play with goons. :shepicide:

I drop with my daughter who's six and thinks my Sarah's Jenner is the business with its four flamers and a narc (and the pink unicorn picture on the back). She drives the legs and gleefully hammers chain-fire while we cavort around like a pissed wizard and I try and pop a few narcs on assaults to be marginally useful. She is a proto-goon and a credit to the Word of Lowtax.

Weirdly, she doesn't hold with 3pv at all: GO BACK INSIDE DADDY. I WANT TO SEE THE ARROWS.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 22, 2014

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Is it still the case that you lose the extra mechbays if you sell package mechs or whatever?

DicksMcGee
Apr 17, 2012
Does anyone remember which page the "How to join Goons in playing Stompy Robits" effortpost was on.

Just a note, I was never a part of WoL or Goonswarm so I have like no credentials for the websites you guys were using. Mostly this was due to the fact that by the time I had posted in the original MWO thread, most of you pretty much said "Don't bother playing, no one plays anymore." So I never bothered going through the effort to get registered or anything.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DicksMcGee posted:

Does anyone remember which page the "How to join Goons in playing Stompy Robits" effortpost was on.

Just a note, I was never a part of WoL or Goonswarm so I have like no credentials for the websites you guys were using. Mostly this was due to the fact that by the time I had posted in the original MWO thread, most of you pretty much said "Don't bother playing, no one plays anymore." So I never bothered going through the effort to get registered or anything.

page 25

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

DicksMcGee posted:

So you spent money after we knew it was bad? :cripes:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

so i hear this game is fun with goons??

DicksMcGee
Apr 17, 2012

Drewjitsu posted:

So you spent money after we knew it was bad? :cripes:

No, I bought founder's when the original MWO thread's response to the actual game was overall still positive. I was mostly lurking because I didn't really have anything to add, but my actual playtime has been in random bursts of interest rather than consistent continous play. So when I was like, "Okay I have a better grasp of the game." I decided to check in on the MWO thread. This was before it got sent to browner pastures aka GBS. The reason it took me that long to get into the thread is kinda silly, I was somewhat self-conscious and didn't want to be branded a J4G since my presence on the forums in general is somewhat minimal.

Either way, thanks for the link to the correct page, sebmojo.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Oh, cool. Missed that the first time through!

Also, According to Russ, user-generated decals are a possibility in the future, which is kinda cool. I'm sure nobody is going to use dongs as a logo.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Yup, the Dragon is still the most powerful mech in the game.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

DicksMcGee posted:

Solopubbed in a VND-1AA Vindicator, we won. 5 assists, 0 kills, 1 death, 72 damage... Not exactly a good round in my book, but I wasn't mixed in with the brawl. I feel like I helped a little though by basically keeping a couple of the other team's light mechs away from our heavies and assaults while they brawled with the other team. I'm still playing around with loadouts, trying to figure out what works best in practice. Has anyone tried a Vindy yet or are they too garbage and I should quit while I'm ahead?

Mediums have historically struggled because they don't have the firepower or durability of heavier mechs but aren't fast enough to keep themselves out of trouble as reliably as lights.

Captain Keene
Dec 20, 2012

sebmojo posted:

I drop with my daughter who's six and thinks my Sarah's Jenner is the business with its four flamers and a narc (and the pink unicorn picture on the back). She drives the legs and gleefully hammers chain-fire while we cavort around like a pissed wizard and I try and pop a few narcs on assaults to be marginally useful. She is a proto-goon and a credit to the Word of Lowtax.

Weirdly, she doesn't hold with 3pv at all: GO BACK INSIDE DADDY. I WANT TO SEE THE ARROWS.

Truly you are doing the lord's work. Godspeed, sir.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Except that I called myself dumb for spending money when the game was bad. But if it makes you happy then well done.

The image is pretty spot on though.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

sebmojo posted:

Never has :kimchi: been more appropriate.

Voyager I posted:

Mediums have historically struggled because they don't have the firepower or durability of heavier mechs but aren't fast enough to keep themselves out of trouble as reliably as lights.

I thought the role of mediums was to act as skirmishers? At least, many of the models have good hardpoints for a bushwhacking playing style. They're not as fast as lights nor as heavy as the heavy 'Mechs, but they can put out some serious firepower if given the opportunity, and have the durability to take a lick or two.

Maybe I'm just trying to not feel bad for mostly piloting mediums. v:shobon:v

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 22, 2014

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Kazvall posted:

We seem to win most of the time. The legend of Lowtax is still strong in the pubbie masses. A lot of the time they SQUAAAWWWK for us. It's really quite entertaining.

I dropped with my brothers (my 2 actual, real life brothers, not RPing here) tagged as a ghost bear clan against WoL tagged guys this weekend. We kicked your asses. HA!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Pooncha posted:

Never has :kimchi: been more appropriate.

I thought the role of mediums was to act as skirmishers? At least, many of the models have good hardpoints for a bushwhacking playing style. They're not as fast as lights nor as heavy as the heavy 'Mechs, but they can put out some serious firepower if given the opportunity, and have the durability to take a lick or two.

Maybe I'm just trying to not feel bad for mostly piloting mediums. v:shobon:v

It felt more rewarding to drive a medium mech with 8 Vs 8 sized teams, and there were not places like alpine to screw over the average medium's inability to mount long range weapons (outside of whatever LRMs can go on a medium), or even long range weapons that were not torso mounted to aim up and down the huge inclines if needed. I loved my hunchback-4SP all the way up until those two things were around.

8 Vs 8 a medium breaking off to flank while the enemy was distracted was more of a thing, while now there are that many more assaults/heavy mechs on the enemy team to turn around and obliterate without lessening their focus on the rest of your team. Taking a lick or two turns into "how many of these Timber/Dire wolves will destroy me me by looking at me funny, after completely ignoring the four SRM salvos my Centurion has dumped into their back armor before turning around to do so?"

Toss in more enemies to kill stretching your ammo tonnage even thinner on a medium, and, welp :v:

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Just hang out behind the assaults until 4 of the enemy go down and you're back in business. Piloting lights and mediums mean that you become more important over time. Just be patient.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Well yeah, but people are piloting mediums because the matchmaker compels them to more than because they are desirable in their own right.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Sep 22, 2014

NextSundayA.D.
May 13, 2009

Vorgen posted:

Just hang out behind the assaults until 4 of the enemy go down and you're back in business. Piloting lights and mediums mean that you become more important over time. Just be patient.

How is my team going take out four of the enemy while being out numbered because I'm hiding?

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Voyager I posted:

Well yeah, but people are piloting mediums because the matchmaker compels them to more than because they are desirable in their own right.

I come, from the murky mists of Lurk, to inform you to shut your face! Mediums are awesome and I love running them. You just need to approach as a 'second wave', after the heavies and assaults have started/been doing their thing. I mostly run hunchbacks and Centurions and I can accrue over 400 damage dealt and at least 5 assists during a match with some consistency. Whether I'm alive by the end or not hardly matters :v:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Voyager I posted:

Eh, I play mostly mediums and some lights because I prefer the speed. I tend to do mediocre in heavies and downright embarassing in assaults, but usually do well in mediums. It's all about playstyles. Now, slower mediums like Hunchies are in a bad spot, but fast ones have a place as flankers, scout hunters, and being able to reposition to not get caught. A lot of that depends on map knowledge and keeping track of the positioning of the main enemy/friendly blobs, but if you can manage that you're good.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

NextSundayA.D. posted:

How is my team going take out four of the enemy while being out numbered because I'm hiding?

LRMs and ER Large Lasers. Unless you've got tons of those on your medium you're better off waiting for the long-range fight to bear fruit and create a number of damaged assaults for you to shoot in the back than to run out and try to flank the enemy right away.

I think of a match as pretty much 3 stages now. Stage 1 is the initial contact, when the two companies first see each other. In Stage 1, missile boats and Large Lasers rule, and any brawlers, mediums, and non-ECM lights need to hunker down and search the immediate area for enemy ECM-equipped light spotters. Friendly ECM-equipped lights are the only ones that should be away from the clump, doing their scouting thing.

In Stage 2, the enemy has made a mistake, or run out of LRMs. That's when assault and heavy brawlers make a move to close in and bash some skulls. Mediums and non-ECM lights stick to them like a third arm, wait for them to engage, and circle around the fight to get in some back armor hits. Or, conversely, engage the enemy mediums and lights to prevent them from sneaking around YOUR assaults and getting in back armor hits.

Stage 3 is clean up, when you have either succeeded or failed in the Stage 2 brawl. Chase down the remaining fighters or run away like a bat out of hell.

If lances have split up, you can do this 3-step process multiple times, and Stage 3 is when you go join survivors and try to keep them alive.

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Sep 22, 2014

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Don't get me wrong; I am Mr. Menturion, but back in the old days if you really wanted to win there wasn't much reason to bring smaller mechs other than a few max-speed 35 ton lights for scouting / point capping duties.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Mediums are cool. Not light cool, but cool. Twin ERPPC cicada 3m is the business.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Vorgen posted:

LRMs and ER Large Lasers. Unless you've got tons of those on your medium you're better off waiting for the long-range fight to bear fruit and create a number of damaged assaults for you to shoot in the back than to run out and try to flank the enemy right away.

I think of a match as pretty much 3 stages now. Stage 1 is the initial contact, when the two companies first see each other. In Stage 1, missile boats and Large Lasers rule, and any brawlers, mediums, and non-ECM lights need to hunker down and search the immediate area for enemy ECM-equipped light spotters. Friendly ECM-equipped lights are the only ones that should be away from the clump, doing their scouting thing.

In Stage 2, the enemy has made a mistake, or run out of LRMs. That's when assault and heavy brawlers make a move to close in and bash some skulls. Mediums and non-ECM lights stick to them like a third arm, wait for them to engage, and circle around the fight to get in some back armor hits. Or, conversely, engage the enemy mediums and lights to prevent them from sneaking around YOUR assaults and getting in back armor hits.

Stage 3 is clean up, when you have either succeeded or failed in the Stage 2 brawl. Chase down the remaining fighters or run away like a bat out of hell.

If lances have split up, you can do this 3-step process multiple times, and Stage 3 is when you go join survivors and try to keep them alive.

The thing is that you could replace those mediums with heavies and now they can partake immediately from the onset.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Paramemetic posted:

Mediums are cool. Not light cool, but cool. Twin ERPPC cicada 3m is the business.

The cicada is just a fat light. :colbert:

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Mindblast posted:

The thing is that you could replace those mediums with heavies and now they can partake immediately from the onset.

Heavies share the assaults ' problems of finding it difficult to kill lights and they also draw the eye of the other team during initial contact. They presumably have more speed than assaults and could more effectively flank during the initial phase. But you do still need mediums around to protect from lights.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Vorgen posted:

Heavies share the assaults ' problems of finding it difficult to kill lights and they also draw the eye of the other team during initial contact. They presumably have more speed than assaults and could more effectively flank during the initial phase. But you do still need mediums around to protect from lights.

Why are people even posting stuff like this. Don't drive a medium, a heavy is a medium++++.

There is no downside because pgi don't understand why there should be a difference between a heavy and a medium except "Mediums can mount less armour, weapons and ammo than a heavy"

Please give up on the balance discussion. It is never going to come to fruition. I just skimmed the last 20+ pages and the only interesting things in all of that were two posts by destined about [He who reins on high above all] when he worked with them.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Fil5000 posted:

The cicada is just a fat light. :colbert:

Well, yeah, but any robot that goes less than 140 kph is clearly for people who don't appreciate the finer things in life.

gotta go fast

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Phrosphor posted:

Please give up on the balance discussion. It is never going to come to fruition.

Im not trying to discuss balance I'm trying to give practical advice to a medium pilot based in what I experience in game.

There is a substantial difference between mediums and heavies in MWO and they get very different reactions from.the enemy which pretty much forces them into different roles by that virtue alone.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Vorgen posted:

Im not trying to discuss balance I'm trying to give practical advice to a medium pilot based in what I experience in game.

There is a substantial difference between mediums and heavies in MWO and they get very different reactions from.the enemy which pretty much forces them into different roles by that virtue alone.

Reaction to heavy: That could be a threat. Let's shoot it when we get the chance.
Reaction to medium: That could be a threat. Let's shoot it when we get the chance.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Vorgen posted:

I dropped with my brothers (my 2 actual, real life brothers, not RPing here) tagged as a ghost bear clan against WoL tagged guys this weekend. We kicked your asses. HA!

DIE CIS SCUM PUBLORD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Vorgen posted:

I wasn't actually pointing at you specifically about the balance discussion, I meant the thread in general.

There is literally no reason to ever drop in a medium though, unless you a masochist.

• Locked thread