Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

greatn posted:

I think Mario Kart 8 is Nintendo's best soundtrack.

Mario Kart 8's soundtrack is the first time I really noticed the music in a Mario Kart game since the 64 one. I don't know if I'd say it's Nintendo's overall best, but definitely up there though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

greatn posted:

I think Mario Kart 8 is Nintendo's best soundtrack.

I will never get tired of Shy Guy Falls music.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

mabels big day posted:

These are extremely outrageous opinions about the Mario Galaxy music. Sheesh.

Here's a cool video about Gusty Garden Galaxy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGCEX0FXpeQ

Proof positive why the Galaxy games are the best Mario games besides World.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

allfrogs247 posted:

Mario Kart 8's soundtrack is the first time I really noticed the music in a Mario Kart game since the 64 one. I don't know if I'd say it's Nintendo's overall best, but definitely up there though.

MK8's version of Moo Moo Meadows makes me smile every time that track comes up.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I am dying from anticipation for MK8's inevitable Mute City remix.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hope Mute City is a giant one lap track and the hazard is some F-Zero cars periodically lapping you at the speed of sound.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

If only there was an entire f-zero cup.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

A Sometimes Food posted:

MK8's version of Moo Moo Meadows makes me smile every time that track comes up.

I'm the same way with MK8's version of Toad's Turnpike. Probably helps that said tune was one of my favorites from the N64 game.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Bobnumerotres posted:

If only there was an entire f-zero game.

Please, Nintendo. :negative:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

A new F-Zero is probably never going to happen but F-Zero U would look AMAZING.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I don't know, they're finally getting around to making star fox. I have faith in this new nintendo.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Bobnumerotres posted:

I don't know, they're finally getting around to making star fox. I have faith in this new nintendo.

Let's just hope it turns out better than the last original Star Fox game.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Spacebump posted:

I dunno, it looks finer than frog hair to me! :downsrim:

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Suspicious Cook posted:

I dunno, it looks finer than frog hair to me! :downsrim:

is that actually a saying

oh my god it is

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Anyone that wants to talk poo poo about the soundtrack that brought us Gusty Garden Galaxy can take a walk.

I know Nintendo's really milking the hell out that tune right now (since it ended up in MK8 and 3D World) but I don't care, because it's really great. :3:

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Kaubocks posted:

A new F-Zero is probably never going to happen but F-Zero U would look AMAZING.

Well, we can always dream.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Spacebump posted:

One of the endings was "Fox and Falco get sick of this poo poo, and turn their ships into fzero racers instead"

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

you shoot by aiming around the gamepad which is loving awful

I really hope they drop that aspect, considering its in early techincal alpha

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

DrPaper posted:

They clarified that there would be controller support.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I like Miyamoto but he really needs to stop re-inventing the wheel. Sticker Star was George Lucas levels of not understanding the appeal of your product.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Hurray, I finished Bayo1 yesterday. (that game is insane) So I'm ready for Bayo2 to come so I can buy both at the same time and play it much more often using off screen play. :allears:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

DrPaper posted:

It's tilt-to-aim gyro stuff, it's fine. Splatoon has it, too, so have fun not playing that game either, I guess.

Either way, Starfox U still isn't gonna be the game people want so it probably won't matter either way.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's tilt-to-aim gyro stuff, it's fine. Splatoon has it, too, so have fun not playing that game either, I guess.

Either way, Starfox U still isn't gonna be the game people want so it probably won't matter either way.

Doesn't Splatoon have a traditional aiming option also?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Andrast posted:

Doesn't Splatoon have a traditional aiming option also?

They said it probably will but it hasn't been an option in any of the public builds, but I guess they're probably still just using the E3 build anyway.

Gyro aiming is a Miyamoto thing, he loves that poo poo.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Sep 22, 2014

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That's good because gyro aiming is insanely great.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Seriously, I've played Splatoon and it works great.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Gyro aiming works surprisingly well, but I have a 46" plasma TV, and I'd rather have my attention on that in fantastic HD than the not-HD 6" screen with wildly inaccurate colors. It's great as an alternative when someone wants to watch TV, and it's great for little bits here and there, but I bought my TV for a reason.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fremry posted:

Gyro aiming works surprisingly well, but I have a 46" plasma TV, and I'd rather have my attention on that in fantastic HD than the not-HD 6" screen with wildly inaccurate colors. It's great as an alternative when someone wants to watch TV, and it's great for little bits here and there, but I bought my TV for a reason.
Not really sure what these things have to do with each other. Why do you need to look at the gamepad to gyro aim?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Can anyone recommend me a good hard drive for use with the Wii U? I've been getting by on the memory sticks I've accumulated over the years, but I'd rather just keep it all in one place. Is there anything viable out there for under $60?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Tender Bender posted:

Whoa whoa how has no one jumped on this yet? I think you better go back wherever you came from son and think long and hard about what you just said.

I dunno, i listened to those videos that were posted and they are quite catchy, but to me they still fall on the side of "nice" rather than "fun".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgUmFPnkoHU

Now bear in mind i never owned SMW, hell, i haven't even played it past the first level, but it's soundtrack just sounds like fun.

Maybe to my ears orchestral scores just feel like they add a level of pretentiousness that is otherwise unnecessary in a game that's about jumping on stuff, dressing up like a cat and travelling through pipes which tips it over to the "nice" side of things rather than "fun".

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kin posted:

I dunno, i listened to those videos that were posted and they are quite catchy, but to me they still fall on the side of "nice" rather than "fun".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgUmFPnkoHU

Now bear in mind i never owned SMW, hell, i haven't even played it past the first level, but it's soundtrack just sounds like fun.

Maybe to my ears orchestral scores just feel like they add a level of pretentiousness that is otherwise unnecessary in a game that's about jumping on stuff, dressing up like a cat and travelling through pipes which tips it over to the "nice" side of things rather than "fun".

You need to stop talking until you have a nice lie down and think about what words mean because you are going medieval on the entire concept of vocabulary right now.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Fremry posted:

You really don't need to look at the gamepad to aim. Wind Waker HD does it and if you're playing on the TV, then you can't look at the gamepad because you'll be staring at a menu if you do. Gyroscopic aiming feels super natural and is way, way better than aiming with a stick.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ChaosArgate posted:

You really don't need to look at the gamepad to aim. Wind Waker HD does it and if you're playing on the TV, then you can't look at the gamepad because you'll be staring at a menu if you do. Gyroscopic aiming feels super natural and is way, way better than aiming with a stick.

Your mileage may vary. Gyro aiming does not click with me at all. It feels uncomfortable and I really struggle to get a level of precision that I can get with sticks.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

RyokoTK posted:

Your mileage may vary. Gyro aiming does not click with me at all. It feels uncomfortable and I really struggle to get a level of precision that I can get with sticks.

Probably because twin stick shooters all use autoaim because twin stick shooting loving sucks.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

ChaosArgate posted:

Yeah, you're right. For some reason I was thinking that you had to look at the screen in Wind Waker to do the Gyroscope parts, but it's all on the TV.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Speaking as someone who loving loathed the gyro aiming in Skyward Sword and the motion control stuff in Mario & Luigi Dream Team, I have to say that the gamepad gyro stuff in Wind Waker worked a lot better than either of those.

Although I still tended to use a combination of controls, with the stick for larger movements and the gyro for fine adjustments, so I hope that's always an option in games that use this stuff.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
I was on the verge of getting a Wii U when I realized that I have a shitload of great Wii games that I haven't played (ie half of Mario Galaxy 1, Pikmin 2, sonic Colors, red steel 2, etc). Apparently Gamestop will allow you to actually use coupons on the not really used Metroid Prime Trilogy reprints.

I couldn't get into it when I played the GameCube version, but the IR control fixes any problem I had with the old input. I'm using some sort of up converter just to connect my Wii to my television and after turning off all processing and bumping down the sharpness, it looks pretty decent on a modern TV.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I always thought I was awful at FPS games, thought so for years, then I aimed with OoT's gyroscope and then jumped into the world of PC gaming and I found joy in aiming. I'd say it's Keyboard+Mouse>Wiimote+>Gamepad Gyro>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dual Sticks

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Outside of the occasional game of Mario Kart 8 I'm spending all of my gaming time with the Wii U in original Wii mode. New Super Mario Bros, Smash Brawl, and the Virtual Console gussied up Super Mario 64 are one hell of a line up.

And I own a Wii! But getting the Wii U has been a reminder of all the awesome Nintendo products I haven't had a chance to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I always thought I was awful at FPS games, thought so for years, then I aimed with OoT's gyroscope and then jumped into the world of PC gaming and I found joy in aiming. I'd say it's Keyboard+Mouse>Wiimote+>Gamepad Gyro>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dual Sticks

I've been soured on gamepad FPS aiming ever since Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition. It just plain worked, and was cool.

• Locked thread