Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Why was he hooked up to medical equipment? I can't remember if the explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Suspicious Lump posted:

Why was he hooked up to medical equipment? I can't remember if the explanation.

Cause he's an old-rear end man?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He's old and his body was failing, which means he must've been a true monster in his prime if even as an old "cripple" he was still the strongest man in the world.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Drakkel posted:

Cause he's an old-rear end man?
Yeah that's a pretty lame rear end reason (Silvers was old too) but I guess trying to make a point that he isn't in his prime.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Suspicious Lump posted:

Yeah that's a pretty lame rear end reason (Silvers was old too) but I guess trying to make a point that he isn't in his prime.

Whitebeard was like... 70-something during the War of the Best. He is an old-rear end man.

Edit: Yeah he was 72 at that point.

Crazyeyes fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 4, 2014

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Age is one of those things in One Piece that only hinders you if the plot calls for it. Hence why Dr Kureha is fine despite being literally twice as old as Whitebeard was.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think Oda said that 130's the average age for humans in OP, so it's more that Whitebeard's in his fifty's and really sick. Kureha's just weird because no one should be that healthy at 130.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Last Celebration posted:

I think Oda said that 130's the average age for humans in OP, so it's more that Whitebeard's in his fifty's and really sick. Kureha's just weird because no one should be that healthy at 130.
Lemmy from Motorhead is 68, so I'll guess 68 in One Piece years for Whitebeard. They both have excellent facial hair too. :D Maybe Whitebeard has Pirate diabetes or something.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

Lemmy from Motorhead is 68, so I'll guess 68 in One Piece years for Whitebeard. They both have excellent facial hair too. :D Maybe Whitebeard has Pirate diabetes or something.

Scurvy :tinfoil:

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Suspicious Lump posted:

Yeah that's a pretty lame rear end reason (Silvers was old too)

Silvers has been retired for a long time, gambling, drinking, coating boats and banging his not-wife. Whitebeard has been active all this time.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I finally caught up from the last few weeks. So Doflamingo made an appearance in episode 151, and it wasn't until episode 655 that anyone actually named his fruit (though I think most people figured it out by then), which is 504 episodes. So that means that Monkey D Dragon will almost certainly hold the title for longest time spent without naming his power. He was introduced in episode 52, so that's already nearly 600 episodes. I have a feeling it is the Ten Ten Fruit, but I could be way wrong.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Shadow0 posted:

I finally caught up from the last few weeks. So Doflamingo made an appearance in episode 151, and it wasn't until episode 655 that anyone actually named his fruit (though I think most people figured it out by then), which is 504 episodes. So that means that Monkey D Dragon will almost certainly hold the title for longest time spent without naming his power. He was introduced in episode 52, so that's already nearly 600 episodes. I have a feeling it is the Ten Ten Fruit, but I could be way wrong.

Episodes don't mean anything because there can be more or less filler material in them. If your desire is the measure how long between introduction and reveal is, you should go back to the chapters.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="434880496"]
Episodes don't mean anything because there can be more or less filler material in them. If your desire is the measure how long between introduction and reveal is, you should go back to the chapters.

No one is going to have their powers revealed in filler, so it still works. Though I agree the manga is the pure source material. Someone else can check the manga chapter count if they want.
I think Dragon's power might actually be the longest reveal other than one piece, unless I'm forgetting something?

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 15, 2014

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Shadow0 posted:

No one is going to have their powers revealed in filler, so it still works. Though I agree the manga is the pure source material. Someone else can check the manga chapter count if they want.
I think Dragon's power might actually be the longest reveal other than one piece, unless I'm forgetting something?

Off the top of my head, I think you're right, I think what Jinbe looks like is another looong one.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I don't know if this counts but we still know nothing about Luffy's mom.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

I don't know if this counts but we still know nothing about Luffy's mom.

Luffy is anti-Jesus. He was born with no mother.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm betting on Dragon having a legendary Zoan fruit for a Chinese dragon or something. Usually there are hints dropped at what fruit a user might have, such as Whitebeard's earthquake laugh.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

TheRamblingSoul posted:

I'm betting on Dragon having a legendary Zoan fruit for a Chinese dragon or something. Usually there are hints dropped at what fruit a user might have, such as Whitebeard's earthquake laugh.

Yeah, but there are also red herrings, remember Kaku.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

Momonosuke already has a Chinese dragon Zoan type, although it is a (failed) smile so I guess Dragon could have the true version, or just a different model. But unless I'm remembering incorrectly, at Logue Town Dragon appeared to use some kind of wind blast to save Luffy from Smoker/the marines, so that would imply a Paramecia/Logia (or some kind of retconned Haki power).

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013

Rage McDougal posted:

Momonosuke already has a Chinese dragon Zoan type, although it is a (failed) smile so I guess Dragon could have the true version, or just a different model. But unless I'm remembering incorrectly, at Logue Town Dragon appeared to use some kind of wind blast to save Luffy from Smoker/the marines, so that would imply a Paramecia/Logia (or some kind of retconned Haki power).

Chinese dragons have all kinds of weather control powers.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah one of the strongest things being Chinese Dragons used their horns to conduct/control lightning strikes.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
He seemed to have control over wind and lightning. But it was tinted green for some reason too. I wouldn't doubt the rain was also his fault. I'm pretty sure he has a paramecia type and can control weather. Maybe the Ten Ten (天天) fruit. Although that's Nami's power too.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

GoldenPrice posted:

Chinese dragons have all kinds of weather control powers.

Ah, I didn't know about that.

I was about to argue that he's still human when he uses his wind blast, but then I remembered that Marco still has his regeneration when human, so it could be that mythical zoans keep their powers in all forms.

In regards to the lightning though, it was pointed out earlier (here or in the manga thread) that Nami predicts the storm before it happens, so it may just be a natural one (unless Dragon has to take a really long time to make a thunder storm by slowly changing the air pressure, or it's a coincidence that he makes lightning in the middle of a natural storm.)

Alternative possibility: I'm just thinking way too hard about magic powers in a manga for teenage boys.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rage McDougal posted:

IIRC wasn't the fruit made by Vegapunk, and said to be a "Failure" by C.C. who wouldn't be that reliable in that matter?

Shadow0 posted:

He seemed to have control over wind and lightning. But it was tinted green for some reason too. I wouldn't doubt the rain was also his fault. I'm pretty sure he has a paramecia type and can control weather. Maybe the Ten Ten (天天) fruit. Although that's Nami's power too.

You can't really judge the color of something by how the anime does it.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Only the anime and videogames represented that storm as something weird, with that green effect and such. In the manga it's a common storm that Nami even predicts a few chapters before it happens.

In fact, Smoker commented that Luffy was abonormally lucky with that thunderbolt that saved him and the favorable wind to escape, which is the same thing Doc Q said when he picked one of his non-explosive apples.

So any assumption about Dragon's ability is purely based on filler.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

^^^^^
While I agree about the storm, there is a panel in the manga where Dragon says "Wind blast!" and a whole bunch of marines are blown away by something. While looking for that page online though, I noticed that the fan translations make it less clear that it's an attack name (MangaPanda has "It's a gust!", implying it isn't even Dragon talking), which may be where some confusion comes from. The offical Viz translation says "Wind blast!"

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Petiso posted:

Only the anime and videogames represented that storm as something weird, with that green effect and such. In the manga it's a common storm that Nami even predicts a few chapters before it happens.

In fact, Smoker commented that Luffy was abonormally lucky with that thunderbolt that saved him and the favorable wind to escape, which is the same thing Doc Q said when he picked one of his non-explosive apples.

So any assumption about Dragon's ability is purely based on filler.

Nah, it's still possibly a power of Dragon's, since it's quite fitting based on his name. All that means is he can't create weather movements out of nothing and can just manipulate it, so he has to set up big things in advance. Tho I suppose it could be Oda dropping a red herring

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
While I don't necessarily think that his power isn't a dragon, the fact that he is named Dragon makes it kind of weird for him to have such a power. It'd be like naming your cat "Cat" or naming your villain "Grievous". It would just feel like a dumb name in my opinion.

The green tint just makes me think there might be some Japanese pun involved.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

It would just feel like a dumb name in my opinion.

The manga is filled with themed named people, such as all the original warlords.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Rage McDougal posted:

^^^^^
While I agree about the storm, there is a panel in the manga where Dragon says "Wind blast!" and a whole bunch of marines are blown away by something. While looking for that page online though, I noticed that the fan translations make it less clear that it's an attack name (MangaPanda has "It's a gust!", implying it isn't even Dragon talking), which may be where some confusion comes from. The offical Viz translation says "Wind blast!"

I don't think that's Dragon shouting an attack, his mouth isn't even open in that panel. The official spanish volume is closer to the Mangapanda one, "A gust of wind!".

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rage McDougal posted:

In regards to the lightning though, it was pointed out earlier (here or in the manga thread) that Nami predicts the storm before it happens, so it may just be a natural one (unless Dragon has to take a really long time to make a thunder storm by slowly changing the air pressure, or it's a coincidence that he makes lightning in the middle of a natural storm.)

Alternative possibility: I'm just thinking way too hard about magic powers in a manga for teenage boys.

Nami can predict weather in the Grand Line and is so good with weather she can use dials to create weather phenomena, so her predicting even Devil Fruit storms doesn't really mean anything.

I would guess that Dragon's tattoo would be more predictive of his Devil Fruit, should he have one, than anything else we've seen so far. Though I've got no idea what it is.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The lesser "brother" finally appears (90% sure that's him). Hopefully he's gotten more interesting. I don't know about you guys, but I never cared for Sabo.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The anime compared to the manga has had perhaps the worst padding I've ever seen in my entire life. Every episode feels like watching paint dry in terms of both amusement and pacing. The art continues to degrade into derpiness as Toei progressively gives less shits about the anime's execution as it remains popular with Japan's uneducated peons who cannot acknowledge the finer arts when they see it.

One Piece Anime Grade: F.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

From a Tumblr account that compiles ugly shots from the anime:

quote:

Is Toei seriously STILL doing that 12-pages-an-episode crap they have done the whole arc?

No, they’re doing it at 1 chapter per episode, which is what they’ve been doing basically since the end of Enies Lobby. They only animated 12 pages a chapter for several episodes this arc. Still, 1 chapter per episode is pretty abysmal pacing. The anime used to cover 1.5 chapters an episode—that was an average of 27 pages per episode. Now it’s just 18 pages an episode, occasionally dipping down to 12 pages an episode.

Here’s the actual breakdown:

The Alabasta arc in the manga was 63 chapters, and 39 episodes long. That’s 1.6 chapters an episode.

Skypiea was 66 chapters, and 43 episodes long. That’s 1.5 chapters per episode.

Water 7 was 53 chapters long with 35 episodes—again, 1.5 chapters per episode.

Then things started going downhill at Enies Lobby, and have been consistently poor in their pacing since then. Now the anime does only 1 episode for every chapter on average.

Thriller Bark? 48 chapters and 45 episodes.

Impel Down? 25 chapters and 27 episodes.

Marineford? 31 chapters and 33 episodes.

Fishman Island? 51 chapters and 51 episodes.

Punk Hazard? 46 chapters and 46 episodes.

People who think the One Piece anime is poorly paced are right. And to make matters worse, the anime adds in filler content to the middle of its episodes in order to drag them out. When there are distinct filler arcs, they are easy to identify and easy to skip. But with in-episode filler, it complicates the whole thing and lessens people’s enjoyment of otherwise canon episodes. (Please people, read the manga.)

I just can't fathom how can they cover even less than a chapter in 20 minutes, I haven't watched a single episode in years but that sounds impossible to watch, do they add filler scenes in every single episode? do they pad every one-panel joke into a several minutes long sequence until you're sick of it?

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

Petiso posted:

From a Tumblr account that compiles ugly shots from the anime:

I just can't fathom how can they cover even less than a chapter in 20 minutes, I haven't watched a single episode in years but that sounds impossible to watch, do they add filler scenes in every single episode? do they pad every one-panel joke into a several minutes long sequence until you're sick of it?

Someone linked an anime clip in the manga thread (unfortunately it's not on Youtube anymore) which was Luffy and someone else in the Colosseum (Don Chin Jao?) doing nothing but staring at each other while the crowd cheered for 50 seconds. It's reaching final-episodes-of-Evangelion bad.

It's especially sad because despite its (many) flaws I really enjoyed the anime up to the end of Enies Lobby (and I'm currently re-watching the series and still enjoying it), but it just becomes irredeemable awful from around Amazon Lilly. I keep reading things in the manga thinking "I can't wait to see this in (limited) animation!", and then remember how bad the anime now is and that it would just be disappointing.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I don't have issues with this, because I just skip the dumb parts. :shrug:

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Petiso posted:

do they pad every one-panel joke into a several minutes long sequence until you're sick of it?
I hope you like sanji nosebleeding and being afraid of transvestites

They dont just drag the jokes out. They repeat them endlessly. They add new scenes which are essentially the old jokes repeated over again.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Wow, I thought the last 4 or so episodes were amazing! I dont know what the deal was but the animation seem to have gotten better. The fights were sorta skipped but still, good episodes

Tra-guy :(

Can someone remind me when did Luffy pick a fight with Big Mama? Also I forgot, why did Tra-guy want Joker dead, revenge for Cora or is this still up coming stuff?

Anime only here.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
He picked a fight over candy on fishman island IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The animation generally ramps up at the big moments, presumably to satisfy the people who are excited to see important manga scenes in motion. Everything from the Sanji/Doflamingo fight onwards is pretty huge though, so Toei will have to bust some serious rear end to keep people happy.

Luffy got into a fight with Big Mom after Fishman Island. The fishmen produce candy for Big Mom as part of her protection racket, and Luffy basically told her to gently caress off when they called up asking what was going on.