Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Orkin Mang posted:

ah gently caress this poo poo's going to get him reelected. gently caress

Come now, in troubled times such as these we shouldn't be worried about petty partisan bickering, we need to band together and stand in unity with our brave leaders and brave diggers :australia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

tithin posted:

All hail the ever continuing reign of Abbott the first of his name.

There's NOTHING HAPPENING, and there never will be! Abbott knows full well we aren't under any threat whatsoever, because we're basically last on the list of 'wealthy western nations worth attacking', but he knows that inflating a nonexistant 'terrorist threat' will let him do whatever the gently caress he wants and still get re-elected.

For gently caress's sake.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
I can't wait for us to murder the poo poo out of more Iraqi civilians.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

A 4WD full of "men in robes with beards" found parked in ANSTO "praying".

AFP on the scene.

Sutherland shire facebook news group suitably full of idiots and blatant ADL propaghandists.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
ter-ror-ism

[ter-uh-riz-uh m]

noun

1. The use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.

2. The state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization.

3. A terroristic method of governing or of resisting a government.

Hmmmmmmm...

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Laserface posted:

A 4WD full of "men in robes with beards" found parked in ANSTO "praying".

AFP on the scene.

Sutherland shire facebook news group suitably full of idiots and blatant ADL propaghandists.

It's really sad reading that post and seeing the people I used to go to school with commenting on it.

From Ansto's Facebook, showing that everyone's a racist piece of poo poo for no reason.

NSW Police Statement: 'NSW Police received calls earlier this afternoon regarding two vehicles near a Commonwealth facility at Lucas Heights.

'Enquiries were conducted with a number of persons by NSW Police and Australian Federal Police officers.

'Following those inquiries, all occupants of the vehicles were allowed to leave.'

Centusin fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Sep 22, 2014

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

quote:

Australians “should always live normally because terrorists’ goal is to scare us out of being ourselves"

What part of surrendering our civil rights to the police state is "normal"?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Mad Katter posted:

What part of surrendering our civil rights to the police state is "normal"?

Something something Umberto Eco something Ur-Fascism.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
DEATH CULT

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
One bloke planning on maybe chopping a random persons head off, terrorism. One woman murdered by her husband every week, probs nagged too much.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

i got banned posted:

But they probably had 17 pages dedicated to Muslim bashing fear inducing rhetoric.

In a perfect world Murdoch would be assassinated and dissected for scientific research.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
There were two 'Reigns of Terror', if we could but remember and consider it; the one wrought murder in hot passions, the other in heartless cold blood; the one lasted mere months, the other had lasted a thousand years; the one inflicted death upon a thousand persons, the other upon a hundred million; but our shudders are all for the "horrors" of the momentary Terror, so to speak; whereas, what is the horror of swift death by the axe compared with lifelong death from hunger, cold, insult, cruelty and heartbreak? A city cemetery could contain the coffins filled by that brief terror that we have all been so diligently taught to shiver at and mourn over; but all France could hardly contain the coffins filled by that older and real Terror - that unspeakable bitter and awful Terror which none of us has been taught to see in its vastness or pity as it deserves.

Deuterious
Oct 17, 2011

Mad Katter posted:

For those of you in SA, the State Government is abolishing 105 government boards.

You can find the list here: http://indaily.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Boards-and-Committees-Reform-Interim-Report-for-release.pdf

Just wow at some of them.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Laserface posted:

Those replies all seem like they were written by psychopaths:

"Throw them in the deep end. Sick and tired of being held hostage by these ignorant pigs.
Perhaps that is why they don't eat pork, they see it as cannibalism..."

"gently caress em back off to the middle of the poo poo hole they are from.racist or not I don't give a gently caress anymore."

"Dirty Fucken towel head cunts it's gonna be on soon!"

Possibly the most :ironicat::
"I'm sick of all this be tolerant and accepting but I can only be tolerant and accepting of people that want to be Aussies."

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
All followers of the DEATH CULT known as MASCULINITY to renounce their faith and swear on national television to uphold our democratic values, or leave the country

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Roy Morgan Poll Time: Abbott’s decision to ‘send in the troops’ fails to secure poll bounce: Young Australians comprehensively reject the Abbot Government

Greens are also up 1.5% after the weeks warmongering

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Going back to the ASIO kill powers thing for a second - have they now also been licensed to carry weapons? Because they couldn't before, which makes me wonder exactly how they are supposed to kill a terrorist in a ticking time bomb scenario. Run them down with a car? Krav Maga? King-hit them?

You can be absolutely guaranteed that anyone who formulated this policy, in the back of their head, no matter how senior an analyst they are or how many actual policy papers they've read, is thinking about Jack Bauer.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

freebooter posted:

Going back to the ASIO kill powers thing for a second - have they now also been licensed to carry weapons? Because they couldn't before, which makes me wonder exactly how they are supposed to kill a terrorist in a ticking time bomb scenario. Run them down with a car? Krav Maga? King-hit them?

You can be absolutely guaranteed that anyone who formulated this policy, in the back of their head, no matter how senior an analyst they are or how many actual policy papers they've read, is thinking about Jack Bauer.

A mag-hook to the temple, obviously.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My favorite from earlier in the afternoon was someone simultaneously asking Abbott to "do something" about these people and complaining about all the freedoms the terrorists have taken away.

A license to vote needs to be a thing because none of these people are fit to do it.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

Joe Hockeys Scrote posted:

All followers of the DEATH CULT known as MASCULINITY to renounce their faith and swear on national television to uphold our democratic values, or leave the country

This but Islam and unironically

... if you happen to be one of the people who have sent a letter to the editor of the Australian in the last month. I'm fairly sure it's been nearly a month now and they still can't shut the gently caress up about Islam. Sometimes I wonder why I read it (hint: I'm a masochist)

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Mad Katter posted:

For those of you in SA, the State Government is abolishing 105 government boards.

You can find the list here: http://indaily.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Boards-and-Committees-Reform-Interim-Report-for-release.pdf

The South Australian Health Practitioner's Tribunal board will be abolished? seems a bit more neccessary than the South Australian Goat Board.

freebooter posted:

Going back to the ASIO kill powers thing for a second
has it been explained why ASIO need to do this, and why the existing counter terrorism forces (state/federal police, military special operations group) aren't up to the task? Or is it all just James Bond style fantasy?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The sandwich shop to the right of my work only has Herald Suns, the one on the left has the Australian, and the Age. Going to get a coffee can be a dangerous mission.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Mr Chips posted:

The South Australian Health Practitioner's Tribunal board will be abolished? seems a bit more neccessary than the South Australian Goat Board.

Might the national registration board got rid of the need for state based tribunals?

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

Mr Chips posted:

has it been explained why ASIO need to do this, and why the existing counter terrorism forces (state/federal police, military special operations group) aren't up to the task?

It's arse covering for a de Menezes scenario - where London police straight up murdered a Brazilian visitor to London after convincing themselves he was a terrorist based on nothing.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
^^^ Wasn't that just the regular metropolitan police armed unit that did it, not MI5? ASIO shouldn't be first on the scene in that sort of situation.

EvilElmo posted:

Might the national registration board got rid of the need for state based tribunals?
It's my understanding that the tribunal is a legal thing for hearing cases involving registered healthcare professionals in their practice, and not so much for accrediting and registering those practitioners.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Sep 22, 2014

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Someone on the Conversation over the weekend that keeping people here who want to go fight is probably a bad idea as if you keep them in the country they're more likely to look for ways to act here. Better to let them go and deal with them if and when they come back.

Also, I know Australia is painfully behind the times, but I like that we're only just now playing catchup to all the overreaching powers the US put in place over 10 years ago. I think Abbott even paraphrased "they hate us for our freedom" over the weekend.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.
I loving move out of the country for 1 year and this poo poo goes down

Pauline Hanson v2 whipping up hysterics, and just like last time, the PM is going to let them get away with it all for the sake of ~~national security~~ and an election

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."

Nibbles! posted:

Also, I know Australia is painfully behind the times, but I like that we're only just now playing catchup to all the overreaching powers the US put in place over 10 years ago. I think Abbott even paraphrased "they hate us for our freedom" over the weekend.

It does boggle my mind that liberals down here used to heckle me for Bush back in the day, and now suddenly support whole-hog literally everything Bush did if Abbott does it.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

Mr Chips posted:

^^^ Wasn't that just the regular metropolitan police armed unit that did it, not MI5? ASIO shouldn't be first on the scene in that sort of situation.

It was, but there's nothing stopping an ASIO/ASIS surveillance operation going that way. I doubt they're much more competent or sane than they were 30 years ago.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/no-more-guns-after-asis-hotel-bungle-20121231-2c2i7.html

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Nibbles! posted:

Someone on the Conversation over the weekend that keeping people here who want to go fight is probably a bad idea as if you keep them in the country they're more likely to look for ways to act here. Better to let them go and deal with them if and when they come back.

Brandis just told Leigh Sales on 7:30 that they hate us for our freedoms and how well we treat women and minorities. :haw:

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

In other news, Abbot government introduces legislation to raise voting age to 55.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

DAAS Kapitalist posted:

It was, but there's nothing stopping an ASIO/ASIS surveillance operation going that way. I doubt they're much more competent or sane than they were 30 years ago.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/no-more-guns-after-asis-hotel-bungle-20121231-2c2i7.html

That's what I'm all WTF about. There already are groups equipped and trained to deal with these sorts of situations. the government haven't argued a strong case for why ASIO need it. it only seems to exist to indulge someone's Jack Bauer style fantasies

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Sep 22, 2014

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Mr Chips posted:

Looks like they plan to abolish the Guardianship Board, which makes orders on involuntary inpatient care and community treatment of people with a mental illness.

Turns out there's a Dog Fence that stretches across South Australia and each of the Local Dog Fence Boards will be reclassified. Also I just found out we have/had a Dog and Cat Management Board Finance Audit and Risk Management Sub-Committee.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Fruity Gordo posted:

Brandis just told Leigh Sales on 7:30 that they hate us for our freedoms and how well we treat women and minorities. :haw:
In what world does a person going "They hate us for our freedom, so we are getting rid of freedom" not sound like blatant surrender?

How can no one be calling this out? I have a very low opinion of people and even I can't believe people are that loving stupid.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

freebooter posted:

Today I received a message FROM THE FUTURE. It was a quote from a future Auspol thread.

Some guy who ended up on a ASIO hit list posted:

Eventually a ASIO operation went wrong. They attempted to break into the wrong house (from which they have no legal liabilities for), got caught by a young kid and her scared grandmother (who thought the men in Balaclava's were terrorist's), and in their panic, caused great injury/death to the wrong person. They tried to cover it up and it all blew up in their face afterwards. Inquires were held, serious people were very serious about being sorry, Mistakes Were Made, and we were all told it would never happen again.

ASIS already managed to do it: The Sheraton Hotel incident

quote:

The mock hostage rescue was staged on the 10th floor of the hotel without the permission of the hotel's owner or staff. When ASIS officers were refused entry into a hotel room, they broke down the door with sledgehammers. The hotel manager, Nick Rice, was notified of a disturbance on the 10th floor by a hotel guest. When he went to investigate, he was forced back into the lift by an ASIS officer who rode the lift down to the ground floor and forcibly ejected Rice into the lobby. Believing a robbery was in progress, Rice called the police. When the lift started returning to the ground floor, ASIS officers emerged wearing masks and openly brandishing 9mm Browning pistols and Heckler & Koch MP5 submachine guns, two of them with silencers. They forced their way through the lobby to the kitchen, where two getaway cars were waiting outside the kitchen door. Police stopped one of the cars and arrested the occupants, who refused to produce any form of identification.

No charges were laid, and no one was found responsible for it. The hotel manager was very lucky he wasn't killed.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

You mean Murdoch's true controllers are the Ethereals on Mars? Makes sense now that I think about it. Can we start raiding Newscorp buildings for E-115?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

The worst part of all this paranoid poo poo is, we can't even verify if its paranoid poo poo.

We already know ASIO has a long and sorid history of completely bungling poo poo up and arresting people for "terrorism" who turn out to be nothing of the sort. Remember that doctor in Queensland who we deported and turned out completely innocent? Or forest protestors arrested for "Terrorism" only to have a judge throw that poo poo out and tell the cops to cut that poo poo out? No wait you didn't hear that last one didn't you. Because of ~nATIonAl SeCurITy~. But it happened. Or any number of harrasment campaigns against trots in the 1970s and 80s because of the "red menace".

And what fucks me off the most is theres potentially a REAL STORY in there if the press would stop sucking government cock for just one second and actually start asking the right questions.

What we DONT know is if some ASIO wiretap caught a couple of syrian uni students blazing some bongs and fistpumping and shouting "gently caress ya, All cops are bastards, behead the kuffars lol" because its entirely plausible it was just some young dudes saying dumb poo poo, LF style. Hell 4-5 years ago, SIS, the kiwi version of ASIO pretty much attempted to arrest the entire new zealand left, including a 70yo who was a member of the NZ communist party in the 1950s using an arrest warrant searching for "Trousers". Again, judge pretty much angrily threw the charges out on almost all 200 arrested.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Was the doctor's case the one in relation to the Scottish airport incident?I remember that case been hilarious as they were questioning him about dates or attacks or something written in his diary only for it to be found out later that another agent had written them in as notes or something stupid like that.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

australian politics sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

I've been writing an essay all afternoon on the portrayal of Muslims in Australia media, and ASIO/AFP/the police knew about this poo poo a year ago, see: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-30/sheikhs-encourage-young-australians-to-fight-in-syria/4724432

Why they waited until now to do gently caress all about it is anyone's guess *coughnotreallycough*. I guess they were saving that for a rainy day, decided to pull the national security card now that IS has majorly stepped up in Syria/Iraq and try to milk it for all it's worth.

• Locked thread