Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

gnome7 posted:

The Double Kill sounds cooler when you read the two side by side, but it really doesn't live up to the chain of death that the pro wrestling move gives you, while also loading you up with invincibility frames constantly.

Yea, I found that one out. Not to mention Double Kill is terrible buggy with getting the hit boxes to work. I ran into a horde of zombies and was just smashing the use button, and most of the time the zombies would just attack me. Every once in a while, I'd teleport next to 2 zombies suddenly and kill them. It's very glitchy and not worth using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I've always found it really difficult to aim firebombs/molotovs in this game. Going right through enemies, hitting the outside of infested buildings instead of going through the door, just going somewhere completely different to where it seems like I'm aiming... Also NPCs tend to run right into them because they're dumb and like to run full-tilt into infested buildings that I'm trying to firebomb.

I've never read the zombie survival guide. That stuff about survival supplies and equipment in particular makes me think of Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, another open-world zombie-apocalypse survival game. It's an ASCII-based roguelike though (unless you use a graphical tileset). I'd still recommend it; depending on what you like about State of Decay, you may like CDDA too. Actually I'll put it this way: if State of Decay is my favourite game of last year (and it is), CDDA is probably my favourite game of this year.

fullTimeLurker posted:

Yea, I found that one out. Not to mention Double Kill is terrible buggy with getting the hit boxes to work. I ran into a horde of zombies and was just smashing the use button, and most of the time the zombies would just attack me. Every once in a while, I'd teleport next to 2 zombies suddenly and kill them. It's very glitchy and not worth using.

I was about to say exactly the same thing.

MoadDib
Apr 4, 2009

supermikhail posted:

Why the katana specifically got "short"-listed, though?

Probably it got short-listed due to
1) ease of procurement: just about anyone can get a katana due to their prolific nature and the training to use them is similarly easy to find today, which can't be said of european long-blades.
2) weight: a japanese katana rarely weighs more than 1kg, which is comparable to european single-handed swords. Larger european swords that were designed to be wielded with two hands like the hand-and-a-half or two-handers, tended to weigh in closer to 1.5-2kgs or as much as 3-4kgs for the truly beastly 2-handers. When you're fighting an enemy that can attack en-masse and never tires, the extra fatigue of a heavier weapon can become a vital point.
3) curve: the convex curve of a katana allows maximum force to be applied over as small of an area as possible making it considerably more effective at slashing and less likely to become stuck when cutting through bone & cartilage ensuring you don't lose your weapon mid-fight.

These are educated guesses, but they're certainly why I would short-list it.

skoolmunkee posted:

People might have a specific memory of the katana being an effective weapon because of the World War Z book, where a Japanese nerdlinger picks one up and somehow manages to get really good with it (blind dude was cooler though.)

Since both books were written by Max Brooks, it's no surprise that the weapon praised in ZSG would become a deadly tool in the hands of characters from WWZ. :)

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
And besides "OREMOR," you get "INIVAS", or Savini backwards, for Tom Savini.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUHUgMuODFg

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

MoadDib posted:

1) ease of procurement: just about anyone can get a katana due to their prolific nature and the training to use them is similarly easy to find today, which can't be said of european long-blades.
2) weight: a japanese katana rarely weighs more than 1kg, which is comparable to european single-handed swords. Larger european swords that were designed to be wielded with two hands like the hand-and-a-half or two-handers, tended to weigh in closer to 1.5-2kgs or as much as 3-4kgs for the truly beastly 2-handers. When you're fighting an enemy that can attack en-masse and never tires, the extra fatigue of a heavier weapon can become a vital point.
3) curve: the convex curve of a katana allows maximum force to be applied over as small of an area as possible making it considerably more effective at slashing and less likely to become stuck when cutting through bone & cartilage ensuring you don't lose your weapon mid-fight.

Since both books were written by Max Brooks, it's no surprise that the weapon praised in ZSG would become a deadly tool in the hands of characters from WWZ. :)

All very interesting. I wasn't sure about the ease of procurement of katanas (since I haven't tried procuring one except once long ago), but I guess they would be popular. I have just one objection: aren't most readily-available katanas (and historical swords in general) probably shoddy, but certainly dull? I know mine was - I had to faff about with the handle wrapping, and the small knife that came with it turned out to be made from aluminum or something like that. Of course, I bought it very cheap but I can't help thinking that my experience wasn't very extraordinary. I mean, why would they be high-quality? You aren't supposed to kill people with them, after all.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I am pretty sure that the katana got short-listed because the author likes anime or samurai movies.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There's also the fact that guns are in short supply in Japan.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!

MoadDib posted:

Counter-point: Any European curved sabre.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I love how the army bombed the first horde, missed the second, and said, "Good job everyone," without bothering to get confirmation from the spotter. Y'know, the one who said where they were in the first place?

MoadDib
Apr 4, 2009

supermikhail posted:

All very interesting. I wasn't sure about the ease of procurement of katanas (since I haven't tried procuring one except once long ago), but I guess they would be popular. I have just one objection: aren't most readily-available katanas (and historical swords in general) probably shoddy, but certainly dull? I know mine was - I had to faff about with the handle wrapping, and the small knife that came with it turned out to be made from aluminum or something like that. Of course, I bought it very cheap but I can't help thinking that my experience wasn't very extraordinary. I mean, why would they be high-quality? You aren't supposed to kill people with them, after all.

Obviously any weapon that you would buy extremely cheaply is going to be of shoddy workmanship. It is possible to get a professionally made tempered steel katana, though price of course becomes an issue the higher quality you are attempting to procure. It would still be considerably easier to procure a high quality katana than a non-show version of a european blade.

Atomikus posted:

Those were intended to be wielded with a single hand, reducing their power and speed of their arc, making them less able to properly cut through limbs/necks. Flesh wounds can be debilitating and dangerous to a regular person, but would be ignored by the living dead.
They also have the issue of being difficult to find proper training, and a blade in the hands of someone untrained can be almost as dangerous to the wielder as to the target.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!

MoadDib posted:

Those were intended to be wielded with a single hand, reducing their power and speed of their arc, making them less able to properly cut through limbs/necks. Flesh wounds can be debilitating and dangerous to a regular person, but would be ignored by the living dead.
They also have the issue of being difficult to find proper training, and a blade in the hands of someone untrained can be almost as dangerous to the wielder as to the target.

They sure were intended to be wielded with a single hand, which is good since that leaves you with a second hand to hold something else, and while that does reduce the power by a bit it also increases the arc with which one can swing it to begin with, not to mention increasing the range one can reach with it. Just because they have slightly less power doesn't mean they're any less likely to sever someone's head, though. They're much less likely to shatter or break if you make a bad cut with them though, and it's certainly not hard to find training with a sabre. One can always start fencing with a sabre and go from there.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

MoadDib posted:

Atomikus posted:

Or secondary counter-point: Max Brooks is kind of a hack and the Zombie Survival Guide is either a parody of the seriousness of the zombie genre or a piece of fiction written exclusively for the twelve year old market, depending on your point of view. All the information in it is sketchy at best and outright wrong at worst, with only a cursory amount of research done, even for the general purpose survival bits.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
I deeply resent the implication that the 23-year old me wasn't any better than the 12-year old. :colbert:

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009

skoolmunkee posted:

Most of the time in this game we only carry around one weapon. Also we eat Twinkies constantly. Oops!

WRONG

Raise your hand if you are properly supplied!

Very important to have the eight zillion guns. Also, watching you Backyard Wrestling zombies to death will never stop being hillarious.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Ted_Haggard posted:

Very important to have the eight zillion guns.

I have 8 zillion guns but they are all different varieties of rifle.

I think I am doomed.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I taped some knives to a few pairs of boxing gloves and attached a fire axe to a sledgehammer I think I'm good guys.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The GIG posted:

I taped some knives to a few pairs of boxing gloves and attached a fire axe to a sledgehammer I think I'm good guys.

All I need to get the horde out of my way is a shopping cart.

Maybe a wheelchair with a lawnmower in the front if I'm feeling messy.

MoadDib
Apr 4, 2009

Atomikus posted:

Just because they have slightly less power doesn't mean they're any less likely to sever someone's head, though. They're much less likely to shatter or break if you make a bad cut with them though, and it's certainly not hard to find training with a sabre. One can always start fencing with a sabre and go from there.
Actually, that's exactly the point. Slicing cleanly and completely through a limb is no easy feat and swords designed to be wielded single-handedly simply don't have the force to accomplish it reliably. Katanas on the other hand, were designed with that in mind and were tested on prisoners (before that was outlawed) and tatami-wrapped bamboo afterwards to simulate striking through limbs.
If you're using a folded-steel blade (not one of the crappy $100 form-cast display pieces) a katana is going to have much greater resistance to perpendicular forces than similarly sized blades.
Fencing would also be a terrible style to learn if your goal is to be ready to fight hordes of zombies. It relies heavily on thrusts for killing blows while most of the slashing attacks are designed to debilitate. It also negates the off-hand since it uses that arm for balance.

Anyways, it's all academic (and only barely so) since we're discussing weapons and fighting styles to be used during what is essentially a fantasy setting.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shei-kun posted:

I love how the army bombed the first horde, missed the second, and said, "Good job everyone," without bothering to get confirmation from the spotter. Y'know, the one who said where they were in the first place?
It's no bug, just true Army realism

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

MoadDib posted:

If you're using a folded-steel blade (not one of the crappy $100 form-cast display pieces) a katana is going to have much greater resistance to perpendicular forces than similarly sized blades.

Homogenized steel is superior to folded-steel in pretty much every way. Japanese sword smiths folded the steel to even out the carbon through-out the metal. Even then, Katanas aren't known for durability and their combination of hard and soft steel is actually a detriment and makes them more likely to break than a homogenized steel blade. Always remember that Sword smiths in Japan folded their blades due to necessity and not for some benefit to quality. Iron quality in Japan was famously terrible.

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

Shei-kun posted:

When I played this mission, the horde was in a spot with 3 cars I had parked for later. I hesitated for a second before telling them to drop it. Found out the hard way that, yes, the drone strikes will take out any cars in the area.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Aren't katanas infamous for being really easy to break? :confused:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Atomikus posted:

Where would you get one, though?

Speedball posted:

All I need to get the horde out of my way is a shopping cart.

Maybe a wheelchair with a lawnmower in the front if I'm feeling messy.

Let me show you my stuffed animal collection...

my dad posted:

Aren't katanas infamous for being really easy to break? :confused:

Right above your post, we have...

Man Whore posted:

Homogenized steel is superior to folded-steel in pretty much every way. Japanese sword smiths folded the steel to even out the carbon through-out the metal. Even then, Katanas aren't known for durability and their combination of hard and soft steel is actually a detriment and makes them more likely to break than a homogenized steel blade. Always remember that Sword smiths in Japan folded their blades due to necessity and not for some benefit to quality. Iron quality in Japan was famously terrible.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The best sword for the zombie apocolypse is the one you make the guy you don't like use. It's not a duel, it's war with an embodiment of the slow march towards death and our dehumanization by the capitalist system. Get yourself a nice mace or war hammer and crack some coconuts.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Augh why all the obsession with fighting zombies! This book is like 10000 ways to kill a walker as though that's the only way to survive.

This is why I'm sooooo fuckin sick of zombie fiction. It's always about YEAH WE'RE GONNA FIGHT BACK. I guess because it's nerd power fantasy 101- given the right motivation I'm gonna be the biggest badass who ever lived and I'm gonna kill a thousand zeds.

It's just so mind-searingly boring I can't stand it. Nerd w/ katana fighting zombies is such a tedious trope I wish it would go to the hell reserved for hacky writers.

And that is my rant.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Just for that if I find a wakizashi I'm gonna give it to Ed and make a whole episode about an accountant's zombie killing ninja adventures. And then I'm gonna make you commentate on it.

Ah god I hope I find a wakizashi

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

skoolmunkee posted:

Just for that if I find a wakizashi I'm gonna give it to Ed and make a whole episode about an accountant's zombie killing ninja adventures. And then I'm gonna make you commentate on it.

Ah god I hope I find a wakizashi

Me too, so I can jump on it rear end-first

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
For what it's worth, I'm very sorry for starting the katana war. :gonk:

Wait, that sounded kind of wrong. (And dangerous.)

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Skippy Granola posted:

Augh why all the obsession with fighting zombies! This book is like 10000 ways to kill a walker as though that's the only way to survive.

This is why I'm sooooo fuckin sick of zombie fiction. It's always about YEAH WE'RE GONNA FIGHT BACK. I guess because it's nerd power fantasy 101- given the right motivation I'm gonna be the biggest badass who ever lived and I'm gonna kill a thousand zeds.

It's just so mind-searingly boring I can't stand it. Nerd w/ katana fighting zombies is such a tedious trope I wish it would go to the hell reserved for hacky writers.

And that is my rant.

Probably because zombie fiction is mostly used to give people a way to fantasize about killing people without feeling guilty about it.

SpeckledJim
Oct 30, 2011

Skippy Granola posted:

Me too, so I can jump on it rear end-first

:stonk:

Incidentally, skoolmunkee: You inspired me to pick up this game.

Now, how do I stop sucking so hard at it? Goddamn Big 'Uns.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Wow, that's a...loving subtle one, assuming it's not just coincidence. I think the little pop-up 'Setting up traps ftw :)' with the little +10 morale indicator might actually be a reference to a Zombie survival flash game from some years back that had a similar theme as this game (set up a survivable zone by taking over buildings to make a safe area, dealing with zombie hordes and morale lest people start disappearing, looting finite supplies, etc). Outbreak 2, or something like that. Unlikely, but poo poo, whatever, they're referencing drat near EVERYTHING ELSE, so why not.

Also yes tv lies about folded steel. You can do a lot of crazy things with carbon, but apparently latticing iron in a lovely low-temperature forge process isn't really one of those things.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
I just sort of remembered that katanas aren't the only "legendary" things with folded steel. I'm pretty sure there's this Russian alloy (maybe) for which the recipe got lost, but it's suggested that it was made by folding a gazillion times. I can't remember what it's called, though, despite the fact that I'm Russian (sue me). But it has a reputation of being basically the Middle Ages Russian adamantium. I don't mean it as a defence of katanas, but don't just poo poo on the Japanese.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

supermikhail posted:

I just sort of remembered that katanas aren't the only "legendary" things with folded steel. I'm pretty sure there's this Russian alloy (maybe) for which the recipe got lost, but it's suggested that it was made by folding a gazillion times. I can't remember what it's called, though, despite the fact that I'm Russian (sue me). But it has a reputation of being basically the Middle Ages Russian adamantium. I don't mean it as a defence of katanas, but don't just poo poo on the Japanese.

Bulat steel. Which was most likely either imported Damascus steel or made using similar kind of technology and ore.

Damascus steel is pretty cool stuff, and it wasn't until fairly recently that we were able to produce steel of higher quality. (you need to use the words 'nanowires' and 'carbon nanotubes' to describe why Damascus steel works the way it does - pretty impressive for middle age tech)

Its texture looks pretty drat cool:

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Wow, that's a...loving subtle one, assuming it's not just coincidence. I think the little pop-up 'Setting up traps ftw :)' with the little +10 morale indicator might actually be a reference to a Zombie survival flash game from some years back that had a similar theme as this game (set up a survivable zone by taking over buildings to make a safe area, dealing with zombie hordes and morale lest people start disappearing, looting finite supplies, etc). Outbreak 2, or something like that. Unlikely, but poo poo, whatever, they're referencing drat near EVERYTHING ELSE, so why not.
I think the game is Rebuild, it actually got a sequel, a lot of guys in the Tech class I went to as part of a vocational school played it, it was a really good game actually

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Man Whore posted:

This, basically. Japan is quite poor in terms of decent iron, so a lot of the ironworking technique was getting it to not break constantly. There are some exceptionally well made swords in Japan, but they still suffer from being made of somewhat poor materials. The excellence lies is how well they work despite that, much like bronze weaponry in the classical world, it's not a great material but they still built some impressive stuff with it, and also some kind of iffy stuff like swords with bolt-on handles. This is probably part of why Japan never really went in for giant suits of metal armor, you couldn't get the metal over there.

Skippy Granola posted:

And that is my rant.

I always preferred zombie games which use zombies as just a sort of environmental hazard, something to make the world actually threatening to humans, and then uses that to tell a story about people living in that environment.

Stories about 'and then I stabbed the next zombie in the right leg because I hadn't done that in the last ten zombies I killed' are kinda dull. Depending on the game though they can be pretty fun, Killing Floor and Left4Dead are both pretty fun, but they're also pretty campy so you're supposed to find the zombies kinda doofy.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

JackNapier posted:

I think the game is Rebuild, it actually got a sequel, a lot of guys in the Tech class I went to as part of a vocational school played it, it was a really good game actually

For those who want to play these themselves:
http://armorgames.com/play/10572/rebuild
http://armorgames.com/play/12389/rebuild-2

A third one is being made.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Skippy Granola posted:

Nerd w/ katana fighting zombies is such a tedious trope I wish it would go to the hell reserved for hacky writers.

Work in a suburban public library. "Whedonesque badass wielding historical or fantasy weapon to defeat supernatural evil" is a good third of the fiction market these days. The other two thirds is mommy pr0n and government conspiracy thrillers.

Is it possible to turn any object in State of Decay into a weapon?

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

my dad posted:

For those who want to play these themselves:
http://armorgames.com/play/10572/rebuild
http://armorgames.com/play/12389/rebuild-2

A third one is being made.

There's a third being made? You good sir have made my day!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

supermikhail posted:

For what it's worth, I'm very sorry for starting the katana war. :gonk:

Don't you fret none, darlin. You guys can discuss what you want. Next update you'll be able to debate about home sites!

my dad posted:

Bulat steel. Which was most likely either imported Damascus steel or made using similar kind of technology and ore.

Space Sword will always have my heart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DITY1WzbLj8

queserasera posted:

Is it possible to turn any object in State of Decay into a weapon?

Nope, they're all pre-set. Most of the environment isn't destructable or anything either, so you do end up just sticking to the few things that work for you.

It's worth having a peek at all the weapon and item descriptions though, the devs snuck in more references to zombie stuff but also Futurama, other films and things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I'd like to see a hyper realistic zombie game. One where 99% of the zombies get destroyed and all the valuables get looted in the first few days, and the rest of the game consists of subsistence farming.

On second thought, let's stick with the katanas and lawnmowers.

• Locked thread