Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

anthonypants posted:

The old one was left there, but the name or IP address weren't changed.
Well there's your mistake, my man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Dick Trauma posted:

warning about phishing

Astoundingly all of the users at my place actually ask me if certain E-mails look a bit dodgy. The only time we've ever been hit by a virus was when somebody opened a bad attachment from a labelled delivery company (I think it was TNT or something similar), because they ordered some shoes and were actually expecting E-mails from said company that the message was labelled from.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We let a guy RDP in from home with his personal laptop. No big deal.

He's going on a work-related trip next week. Mad at me because I don't have laptops laying around that aren't being used that he can take on the trip. His wife won't let him take the home laptop with him on his trip because she needs something to Faceville on while he's away.

All you're going to do is check email while you're gone and it's on your phone. Buy your stupid wife an iPad or something.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

The lack of communication is starting to really get to me at my job.

They roll poo poo out to users and expect us to support it--which is fine, since that is the job--but they don't tell us it's even happening, let alone show us how it works. For example, this week it's Sharepoint. We've sort of known it's coming for a while (when we ask stuff, the usual response is "well when we have Sharepoint, it will work this way...") but now it's rolled out to some people, so they're calling with questions/issues about it. The help desk 1) doesn't have access to sharepoint--there's a help desk site, but I have 0 access to it right now and 2) wasn't even told, even with a brief "hey btw this is happening", until the first user issue came up.

We have users that use Kronos. Every once in a while, a new version is rolled out or tested at certain sites. Never mention it to us at all. Then we look like morons when we get calls and respond with "uhhh I've never seen this before"

Is it so hard to just mention it? Maybe give us like 10 minutes of training? I get that you may be busy, but it works out in your favor in the end, I promise!

I need a new job. This one isn't even so bad, but the pay is absolute garbage.

mewse
May 2, 2006

myron cope posted:

The lack of communication is starting to really get to me at my job.

They roll poo poo out to users and expect us to support it--which is fine, since that is the job--but they don't tell us it's even happening, let alone show us how it works. For example, this week it's Sharepoint. We've sort of known it's coming for a while (when we ask stuff, the usual response is "well when we have Sharepoint, it will work this way...") but now it's rolled out to some people, so they're calling with questions/issues about it. The help desk 1) doesn't have access to sharepoint--there's a help desk site, but I have 0 access to it right now and 2) wasn't even told, even with a brief "hey btw this is happening", until the first user issue came up.

We have users that use Kronos. Every once in a while, a new version is rolled out or tested at certain sites. Never mention it to us at all. Then we look like morons when we get calls and respond with "uhhh I've never seen this before"

Is it so hard to just mention it? Maybe give us like 10 minutes of training? I get that you may be busy, but it works out in your favor in the end, I promise!

I need a new job. This one isn't even so bad, but the pay is absolute garbage.

I had that problem with my last job as a manufacturer. They'd sell prototypes to customers without even notifying me that it was going out. I'd have to support hardware and software I'd never seen before. It was ridiculous.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I love an out of control project. We currently have a $100k proposal for a tech refresh. I don't believe the environment we're buying this equipment for needs anywhere near what we're throwing at it. I'd probably spend $40k compared to the $100k which is getting thrown around. This is not because I believe things need to be done cheaply, I'd just much rather use this money elsewhere, rather than drastically overallocate resources into an environment which will never use it.

Just had a half hour phone call about the purchase - we started at $100k, and now it's up to $150k. This has somehow become MORE expensive.

:shobon:

hahaha dude, let me tell you about poorly thought out projects:

Our Marcom team decided to go out and purchase an Adobe based asset management system, without consulting our engineering team first.

Not only did they get something they didn't need, it didn't even work as advertised out of the box. Only after the contract was signed did Adobe even think to mention that any of the features that the product was originally purchased for needed to be built from the ground up, requiring a full time Java programmer on staff to implement this.

Also, only after the thing was purchased, did our Marcom team come to us with their hardware requirements. Somehow they ended up purchasing a SAN for a single server test implementation :psyduck:

Total cost at this point? Around $200k, over half of it was just in licensing and support costs.

This was actually all purchased before I was with the company, but one of the first things asked of me when I joined was to help them build out the system and get it up and running. I was able to do that, however we were NEVER able to get a Java engineer on site to actually finish the install.

A year goes by with the project in this state, when Marcom once again decides they "need this", and go back to Adobe to see what it would take to get this done. They quoted 50k just to get a contractor onsite and talking to us, PLUS they were going to charge us another 100k to renew our license & warranty since it was never purchased when the contract came up for rewnewal.

Rather wisely, our Marcom team told Adobe to stick their product in their rear end and eat it.

In all we probably put out over half a million with absolutely NOTHING to show for it.

I believe the Director of Marketing actually lost his job over that one.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
So the guy at work who has been trying to get pc imaging to be less of a shitshow found out yesterday that the management solution to this problem is not train the other employee that handles the imaging, or use to use the proper tools to make the images. No, the solution is send our current images out to another company, they fix the images, then I think send us the working images. Or maybe they actually put the image on the computers.
So, he was told to upload our 3 image files to this company, the smallest is about 4gigs, the other two are around 6+ gigs each. So he goes to upload the images to the company, and we find they only do FTP connections, and our InfoSec dept says the only way these images are leaving the network is through SFTP or another secure method.

Last I heard, this had to be done by 5pm today, but nothing had been uploaded so far. Its a shame I'll be gone on Monday, I can't wait to hear what the solution was. Or wasn't.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Can someone explain "arcing a rack" to me? I only use 1000V rated wirecutters near 230V lines.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

mewse posted:

I had that problem with my last job as a manufacturer. They'd sell prototypes to customers without even notifying me that it was going out. I'd have to support hardware and software I'd never seen before. It was ridiculous.

My current job does this. I've started mentioning that i've not been told about it but i'll pass them through to someone who does. I then mention it to my manager and tell him straight up I won't support something i've not been trained on.

Message has gotten through at least, both times I got training. It was brief training that explained what certain things do and who to escalate it to if we get an issue we can't fix through, but I prefer that to "hi, you're through to Dogstile on the crappysoftware team, how can I help?" "Yeah we have a problem with X and I was told to speak to you" "errrrrrrmmmmmm"...

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

dogstile posted:

My current job does this. I've started mentioning that i've not been told about it but i'll pass them through to someone who does. I then mention it to my manager and tell him straight up I won't support something i've not been trained on.

This used to be the norm at my old job; it was a web hosting company that bought out or merged with other companies multiple times a year, so we were constantly acquiring entirely new hosting platforms on a regular basis. There never was any training and almost never any documentation; basically the way it usually worked was that the first sysadmin to take a call from level one support about a new platform (which we usually didn't even know existed until we got a support request on it) had to figure out everything about it on their own, after which said sysadmin would become "the <platform> admin" forevermore and would have to work every ticket that came in about it in the future. It was always fun when us Unix admins got stuck being the go-to guy for a Windows platform (and vice versa) thanks to this method. :toot:

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

SEKCobra posted:

Can someone explain "arcing a rack" to me? I only use 1000V rated wirecutters near 230V lines.

Then you must be part of the team I should have notified about the lovely power cable BEFORE I tried messing with it. Uh... Sorry... (no this didn't happen at my old site enough for there to actually be a term for it, I was trying to be funny and was evidently, well, not)

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
How do people in Private IT live with this slowness? I mean gently caress this is annoying as gently caress.

It's like work on poo poo, and answering emails at home is hard... Holy poo poo, there is little push do devolve in advanced certs or knowledge of IT just "going with the flow". I hated those MSP's/VAR's maybe, Varrow and charlotte are different to a VCAP-DCD/EMCISAv2/CCNA-DC.

Probably should publish my certs on linkedin sometime...

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 21, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

How do people in Private IT live with this slowness? I mean gently caress this is annoying as gently caress.

It's like work on poo poo, and answering emails at home is hard... Holy poo poo, there is little push do devolve in advanced certs or knowledge of IT just "going with the flow". I hated those MSP's/VAR's maybe, Varrow and charlotte are different to a VCAP-DCD/EMCISAv2/CCNA-DC.

Another Saturday night...

What are you actually saying here? It's unintelligible. That people should answer emails at home or shouldn't? I'm not sure what you mean by " Private IT" either. Is this about in-house IT departments with workers who have priorities other than work?

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

It's like work on poo poo, and answering emails at home is hard... Holy poo poo, there is little push do devolve in advanced certs or knowledge of IT just "going with the flow".
Are you seriously pissed off that people aren't working during their time off like you are?

I hated those MSP's/VAR's maybe, Varrow and charlotte are different to a VCAP-DCD/EMCISAv2/CCNA-DC.

I'm surprised you haven't put them on there already. That's LinkedIn 101.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Dude, seriously, just gently caress off. All you do now is humble brag about how much better you are compared to everyone you work with. I miss when you were useful in these threads.

Also if you want to be busy 24/7 in private IT go find a company that is understaffed and underfunded. Being slow and nor having too much work means things are going right and you are not constantly dealing with systems going down.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

shouldn't you be training for some stupid race instead of drinking

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Shouldn't you be working instead of being drunk on the forums?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

jim truds posted:

Being slow and nor having too much work means things are going right and you are not constantly dealing with systems going down.

This. A few weeks ago my org lost a bunch of money because of a cable moved before it should have been(but when it was scheduled to be). poo poo hasn't been right on day shift since. Sure am glad to be going back to the nice, quiet, 12 hour overnights.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Having re-established that running around with your hair on fire is not a sign of a good job, or doing a good job, do we now need a new thread title?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Maybe I figured it out. Maybe everyone is just a ton more efficient than you. Maybe everyone else can get their work done AND stay up to date with technology and certifications and what not while still maintaining a healthy social/family life which you will never have cause youre a drat head case.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Syano posted:

Maybe I figured it out. Maybe everyone is just a ton more efficient than you. Maybe everyone else can get their work done AND stay up to date with technology and certifications and what not while still maintaining a healthy social/family life which you will never have cause youre a drat head case.

:drat:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
After my new boss brushed off my request to have a meeting I see that he sent me an email last night at 2am that we need to meet next week. In a normal environment it's good to meet with your new boss. At this place I'm anxious that it will be a shitshow, especially because I have no idea what my other three bosses have told him about me.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Syano posted:

Jesus Christ :golfclap:

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

Syano posted:

:vince:

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Syano posted:

:master:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > More poo poo that pisses you off: WHY ISN'T ANYONE WORKING AS HARD AS ME

Is that too long? :ohdear:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Syano posted:

:thurman:

There's a reason "home" is home and "work" is work.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Fyi. Your a+ doesn't really count as a cert but you hang in there. You're changing the engineering IT world here. I hate you more than the bad managers I work with.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

It's like work on poo poo, and answering emails at home is hard...

Work is kind of poo poo, and no, I'm not answering work-related emails at home.

Pay me overtime, give me comp time, whatever, but as it stands, outside of my normal eight hours a day, I refuse to be anywhere near my work.

In unrelated pissing off, can I be pissed off about my current boss demanding everything to be in the cloud? I mean, I just want an asset tracking system for this place. Do we really need something hosted when I'm completely fine with tossing internal tools on a VM on our box sitting in the closet and playing admin for it?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I went in this afternoon to get a head start on the coming week's tidal wave of tasks and my card didn't work at the garage gate. :confuoot:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Sounds like the time I got wind of what was coming when my e-mail stopped updating on my phone because my credentials were invalid.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Dick Trauma posted:

I went in this afternoon to get a head start on the coming week's tidal wave of tasks and my card didn't work at the garage gate. :confuoot:

Think its a simple glitch or sign of whats to come?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

It's probably a glitch. The parking guys are in charge of the cards and they're idiots.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is it an RFID badge? Sometimes they just break. I've gone through a couple badges at work because they get bent or whatever.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Dick Trauma posted:

It's probably a glitch. The parking guys are in charge of the cards and they're idiots.

Or, uh, there WAS a glitch, and the Bobs fixed it.

edit: yeah if you could just go ahead and take care of the rat problem down here that'd be great! thanks milton!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

You do not get to bypass the helpdesk by calling my personal mobile. When I find out who gave it out I will ensure their death is slow and painful.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Welp, my bonus this month wasn't paid. My bonus that I was assured would only be taken if I was taking the piss in regards to sick days.

I took one day off and came in the next day all blocked up and lovely. Lesson learned, i'll do what I did the time before that and take a few days in a row. I actually got paid for that one.

Angry isn't even the loving word.

E: In the contract he reserves the right to take it at any time, so I wasn't relying on it, i'm just annoyed that he's taking it for something so tiny.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Sep 22, 2014

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

dogstile posted:

Welp, my bonus this month wasn't paid. My bonus that I was assured would only be taken if I was taking the piss in regards to sick days.

I took one day off and came in the next day all blocked up and lovely. Lesson learned, i'll do what I did the time before that and take a few days in a row. I actually got paid for that one.

Angry isn't even the loving word.

E: In the contract he reserves the right to take it at any time, so I wasn't relying on it, i'm just annoyed that he's taking it for something so tiny.

You were denied a bonus for a taking a sick day? Did they tell you this in writing?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Also, you would have gotten the bonus if you took more sick days?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

FISHMANPET posted:

It's possible, cunts in HR love the Bradford Factor.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Sickening posted:

You were denied a bonus for a taking a sick day? Did they tell you this in writing?

Yes, they reserve the right to deny the bonus if I take a day off and that's why I can't do anything about it. I'm bummed out because it's my own drat fault for signing it. Granted I was assured that they haven't denied it to anyone in years and people are allowed to be sick (I was wary, rightfully so, clearly) but it was at the point of "either you take it like this or it's not happening" so I signed it. Just a bit down and angry, I don't get why he's penny pinching so hard.

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah, Bradford factor has been mentioned before but I am assuming its because I took a single day off. I took a few days off before and they didn't bat an eyelid.