Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

systran posted:

I'm reading Old Man's War...

It's AMAZING how fast we used to think our space travel technology would advance. The stuff he has going on in this novel is something that--today--authors would probably project to be two-hundred years from now, and Haldeman predicted it 25 years out.

I know prediction isn't the point of sci-fi, but it's really interesting to see how we just assumed things would keep going. It seems like a rather reasonable assumption since we went from zero to the moon so quickly.

Old Man's War was 2005?

Are you thinking of The Forever War? (Which, amusingly, I always get confused with that Vernor Vinge book about the time bubbles.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Eh, he's Jennifer's friend or at least business associate. I'd think that might earn him a little leeway in the "might be magical" department. Worst case Daniel has to do the jail job, which would at least make for an interesting read as well.

Yeah I figure it's one of the only unresolved plot threads so it would make sense for that to be the lead in to the next set of stories.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Sorry, brain farted...I definitely meant to say FOREVER WAR

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

systran posted:

I'm reading FOREVER WAR...

It's AMAZING how fast we used to think our space travel technology would advance. The stuff he has going on in this novel is something that--today--authors would probably project to be two-hundred years from now, and Haldeman predicted it 25 years out.

I know prediction isn't the point of sci-fi, but it's really interesting to see how we just assumed things would keep going. It seems like a rather reasonable assumption since we went from zero to the moon so quickly.

I'm reading 2001 right now and am finding the same thing, it's pretty funny. The book is amazing though so I can look past the fact that it's 2014 and we're no where near the stuff Clarke was positing we could be at 13 years ago.

vvvvv yeah buddy!

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 22, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

systran posted:

I know what you mean. I'm at the last few chapters of 2001: A Space Odyssey (finishing tonight), and what you say holds true here as well. I like how Clark maintained a sense of reality (the mission to the outer belts, taking a seemingly realistically approachable length of time).

One of the main themes that impressed me was Clark's prediction of Big Data (as it relates to my job). Discovery One sends back mass amounts of data to be analyzed by scientists later. This is a very simplified explanation of how big data works in today's world. I never heard anybody mention this before, and it really wasn't focused on in the book.

If you haven't read 2001 yet, I highly recommend it.

edit:

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

I'm reading 2001 right now and am finding the same thing, it's pretty funny. The book is amazing though so I can look past the fact that it's 2014 and we're no where near the stuff Clarke was positing we could be at 13 years ago.

:cheers: What chapter are you on?

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 22, 2014

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

:cheers: What chapter are you on?

Just finished 34 - The Orbiting Ice and am probably not terribly far from where you are since I also expect I'll be finishing it tonight :)

e; actually you're probably further along than me since I just checked and I still have like 12 chapters to go

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 22, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Just finished 34 - The Orbiting Ice and am probably not terribly far from where you are since I also expect I'll be finishing it tonight :)

e; actually you're probably further along than me since I just checked and I still have like 12 chapters to go

Just a bit further. Halfway through Part Six. Can't wait to finish it tonight and hear your thoughts.

edit: about a part we've both read, I really liked HAL in the book. It just seemed more cold and calculated. The opening of the air lock doors gave me chills. And then HAL's begging, and eventual regression. Reading this has really sparked new understanding of the film, despite the differences.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 22, 2014

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
The optimistic attitude to space travel from around the 60s and the 70s totally makes sense though when you look at how fast things seemed to progress back then. Humanity went from the first flight to the Moon in little over half a century. Where could we be in another half? Well turns out sending robots instead of meatbags is way easier so why bother?

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Just a bit further. Halfway through Part Six. Can't wait to finish it tonight and hear your thoughts.

edit: about a part we've both read, I really liked HAL in the book. It just seemed more cold and calculated. The opening of the air lock doors gave me chills. And then HAL's begging, and eventual regression. Reading this has really sparked new understanding of the film, despite the differences.

Yeah, opening the airlock was a huge "oh poo poo" moment.

I'm also impressed with how claustrophobic the book feels. The thought of being millions and millions of miles from Earth, with no direct communication link and no one for company except a psychopathic AI is really chilling and Clarke conveys it so well.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Yeah, opening the airlock was a huge "oh poo poo" moment.

I'm also impressed with how claustrophobic the book feels. The thought of being millions and millions of miles from Earth, with no direct communication link and no one for company except a psychopathic AI is really chilling and Clarke conveys it so well.

You're right. Bowman handles the isolation spectacularly well. I appreciated the monotony was described in the book, how Bowman and Poole worked together as professionals, how they grew to know each other, and how Bowman had to deal with HAL's mutiny (carefully calculating each response, knowing every tiny detail of his communication was being dissected at the most intricate level).

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

systran posted:

My edition of The Forever War has an author's note that addresses this:

quote:

The dates in the book are now kind of funny; most people realize we didn't get into an interstellar war in 1996. I originally set it in that year so it was barely possible that the officers and NCOs could be veterans of Vietnam, so we decided to leave it that way, in spite of the obvious anachronisms. Think of it as a parallel universe.

But maybe it's the real one, and we're in a dream.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Can people identify what book they're posting the blocks of black lines for?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
2001: A Space Odyssey, which you DEFINITELY don't want spoiled... lol

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

savinhill posted:

Can people identify what book they're posting the blocks of black lines for?

Sorry. Didn't think it was necessary since that conversation started about 3 posts prior within a 2 hour time period.

systran posted:

2001: A Space Odyssey, which you DEFINITELY don't want spoiled... lol

In fairness, the closer to the end of the book you get the more it diverges from the movie. I started reading the book knowing this, but am happy I didn't actually read anything that directly gave away some of the moments that surprised me, so I figured others might feel the same way.

edit: finished it, then skipped through the movie and watched the different parts, and the end. I'm going to try to not annoy the hell out of everyone I know ranting all day how amazing 2001 is.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 23, 2014

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Movac posted:

My edition of The Forever War has an author's note that addresses this:

Yeah that was the best.

Just ignore the years and go with the flow!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If we had kept investing the kind of money into space travel that was spent in the years leading up to the moon landing, we probably would have a manned colony on Mars already. Most people aren't aware of how tiny a budget space agencies really have compared to what they need to spend to do even the simplest-looking stuff.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

I've been reading this lately.

It's scifi with some time travel in it but it's not the usual mess that books involving time travel are. The main character is also a woman which is a nice change of pace from most scifi books. I'm like 70ish pages in so far and really enjoying it. William Galaini also wrote a book (his second, The Line is his first) called Withered Zion about basically, what if the United States was a Theocracy. I haven't started that one yet though so I can't tell you how it is but it seems really interesting to me.

\/\/Just going off the Amazon description for that since like I said I haven't started reading it yet as I'm still reading The Line.\/\/

juliuspringle fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 23, 2014

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
"what if"

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Finished The Bone Clocks the other day. Amusingly enough, the chapter that was the most fantasy-oriented was probably the weakest part, but still a beautifully written book all around.

snooman
Aug 15, 2013

Seraji posted:

I stumbled on 'Fear the Sky' the other day on an Amazon deal, and to my delight (after blasting through in a few days) discovered there is a sequel recently published, and a final book in a few months. Appears to be a fledgling authors first book (and series) about first contact with another species who are far more interested in the Earth than us. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22171637-fear-the-sky

Turned out to be really good with a lot of decent characters, good plot and fun times all round.

Definitely worth a read.

This has been a decent story so far but the author really needs to find a reasonably competent editor.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

taser rates posted:

Finished The Bone Clocks the other day. Amusingly enough, the chapter that was the most fantasy-oriented was probably the weakest part, but still a beautifully written book all around.
Oh drat, didn't realize this was out!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok, this series might turn out to be poo poo, but this cover is amazing:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/09/dinosaur-lords-cover-reveal

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

That has to be the greatest cover quote ever.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ornamented Death posted:

That has to be the greatest cover ever.

I literally don't think I've ever seen a book cover that's as absolutely 100% guaranteed to sell. I don't know what they had to do to get that GMRRM quote, but even if it involved a suitcase of 100 dollar bills it was probably worth it. Hopefully they gave another suitcase to the illustrator.

I mean, there are plenty of covers I would rather have on books I own, but I've never felt like I need to give a round of applause for the marketing perfection of a cover before.

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 25, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It even dodges the whole feathers controversy.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It even dodges the whole feathers controversy.

There's a controversy?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Some people think they look stupid.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

House Louse posted:

Some people think they look stupid.

Yeah, scaly theropods look ridiculous.

This just happened earlier today: Greg Bear suffered an aortic dissection. Thankfully, they didn't ignore the warning signs and called 911 quickly. He's doing well at the moment.
He seemed just fine on Sunday at our meeting, too!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Does he have Marfans Syndrome?

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Dinosaurs+medieval fantasy seems like super obvious idea now that I think about it. Is this book really first of its kind?

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
"Victor Milan"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

mallamp posted:

Dinosaurs+medieval fantasy seems like super obvious idea now that I think about it. Is this book really first of its kind?
There's Dinotopia, I suppose, but it's not quite medieval. It's more that the idea is so ridiculous that nobody believed you'd actually be able to sell it to anyone except children. Early 20th century pulp fiction turned dinosaurs into such a dead horse cliché that they still haven't recovered enough to be played straight.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Oh yeah, Dinotopia..
At first I thought that Dinosaur Lords is just gonna be geek pandering (like I've read the ultimate little boys book to my son, it had no plot and was all about dinosaurs driving awesome cars, that kind of thing). But I actually think it's pretty good idea, sort of, BUT....

Shitshow posted:

"Victor Milan"

Wikipedia: "Writer of libertarian sci-fi" :downs:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mystes posted:

I literally don't think I've ever seen a book cover that's as absolutely 100% guaranteed to sell. I don't know what they had to do to get that GMRRM quote, but even if it involved a suitcase of 100 dollar bills it was probably worth it.

Not a great deal. Milan and Martin have been friends for 30 years, and Milan is a founder member of the Wild Cards Collective.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

mallamp posted:

Malazan has giant space velociraptors with swords for hands, but you already think that series is dumb

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Pyroclastic posted:

Yeah, scaly theropods look ridiculous.

This just happened earlier today: Greg Bear suffered an aortic dissection. Thankfully, they didn't ignore the warning signs and called 911 quickly. He's doing well at the moment.
He seemed just fine on Sunday at our meeting, too!

Actually most dinosaurs, not just theropods, may have had feathers. I like to imagine ceratopsians with long flowing quills on their frills. Or perhaps hadrosaurs.

Sorry to hear about Bear, best wishes to him.

mallamp posted:

Warhammer and D&D have had people riding dinosaurs for a while. And there's probably tons of pulpy stuff with dinosaurs riders.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

House Louse posted:

Actually most dinosaurs, not just theropods, may have had feathers. I like to imagine ceratopsians with long flowing quills on their frills. Or perhaps hadrosaurs.

totally not as cool, stop raining on the dino-knight parade

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Look at a loving terror bird and tell me feathers aren't hardcore again.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

totally not as cool, stop raining on the dino-knight parade

I bet you hate griffins too. And giant eagles. And rocs. Although the main problem that guy has is that he's sitting on his bird's neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

House Louse posted:

I bet you hate griffins too. And giant eagles. And rocs. Although the main problem that guy has is that he's sitting on his bird's neck.

I don't mind all of those things because they're not trying to change dinosaurs.