Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
NVIDIA has suddenly given us the best card in performance/power/price (970), and some are still going "eh, if only I could spend more".

Did no-one else see that you can OC a 970 to 980-comparable performance?

When the gap between the 290 and 290X was similar, everyone said the extra money for the 290X isn't worth it.

A gap that can be overclocked to close, is not one that will provide any degree of "future-proofing".

But now we have people entertaining 980s. At 1920×1080.

If you have money to burn, no random guy on a forum can stop you, but it's not a good way to spend the money.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
drat. The vendor caught their pricing error, so I won't be getting the MSI 980 at 40% off. Ordered the MSI 970 at a different shop, saved ~40$ and won't have to wait 3 weeks for stock. This is going to be so awesome 670 to 970 at 1440 - and will finally be rid of that loving coil whine that has been building up over the last 8-9 months.

[oMa]Whackster
Sep 13, 2000
Forum Veteran
Quick heads up for UK people - Overclockers.co.uk just got a batch of MSI 970s this morning, available for next day delivery.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
This review can't be right, can it?

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6700/msi-geforce-gtx-970-4gb-twin-frozr-v-gaming-oc-video-card-review/index16.html

According to them MSI GTX 970 draws so much power that they recommend a 700 watt PSU.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Senjuro posted:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6700/msi-geforce-gtx-970-4gb-twin-frozr-v-gaming-oc-video-card-review/index16.html

According to them MSI GTX 970 draws so much power that they recommend a 700 watt PSU.

I have no idea how they reached that figure. First of all, the numbers in the graph show a usage of 467w. They then round this up to 550w in the summary, for some inexplicable reason, and then decide to recommend a 700w power supply - The only explanations here are 'typo' or they expect people to read the phrase 'quality 700w power supply' as 'buy a 700w diablotek power supply for $10.' and are hedging their bets.

Based on the numbers produced in their own graph 500w would be fine.

In addition, they use a retarded Ivy Bridge-E based test bench with a heavily overclocked 3960X - this would add substantially to the power requirements. I suspect you could comfortably take 100w off their numbers and run a 970 quite comfortably on 400-450w.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
On the other end of the scale:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_970_gaming_review,7.html

quote:

GeForce GTX 970 or 980 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 500 Watt power supply unit.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Senjuro posted:

That review also states that the higher power draw is due to the 8 pin connector on the card, which is completely illogical and not how electricity works. The system they are using it with is also a bit ridiculous. Other reviews have the MSI 970 drawing more than reference, but not by a huge amount, and only due to its higher clocks. I wouldn't give much thought to that review, really.

EDIT: Oh wow, in their audio section they place the tester two centimetres away from one of the fans on an open test bench. What an absolute terrible testing methodology.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 22, 2014

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
So I had already ordered and have been shipped the EVGA GTX 970 superclocked ACX 1.0 before reading about all of these loud fan issues. I am coming from a amd HD 5870 (Which was previously a crossfire setup, but now is just a single card) and these are the audio levels of it:

Having lived with this for 5-ish years would I notice the EVGA cooler being terribly loud? According to

the load dB level is actually quieter on the 970 than my stock cooler 5870 at idle fan speed.

So I am wondering if the sound of the fan is the only problem on the EVGA card, or if there are other problems?

Since it is already on it's way to me, I would have to ship it back to return it, which could take a while but it has a 30 day return policy, so it is a potential option. (Especially if there are other issues with the evga card besides sound levels)

Skwee fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Sep 22, 2014

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
The fans tend to rattle at low speeds. I went through RMA hell before giving up. The good thing with EVGA is that they don't seem to care if you dismantle the card so I strapped Noctua 92mm fans onto the heatsink.

Chafe fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Sep 22, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Ah, poo poo.

Is the 970 going to be badly affected by a PCI-E slot at 2.0 rather than 3.0? Mine arrived this morning and I only realised that the mobo only does 2.0 after I installed it. :v:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
As long as the CPU keeps up, the effect will probably well less than a single percentage point.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Hamburger Test posted:

drat. The vendor caught their pricing error, so I won't be getting the MSI 980 at 40% off. Ordered the MSI 970 at a different shop, saved ~40$ and won't have to wait 3 weeks for stock. This is going to be so awesome 670 to 970 at 1440 - and will finally be rid of that loving coil whine that has been building up over the last 8-9 months.

They cancelled my order as well :D

Where did you end up ordering from, Komplett?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Factory Factory posted:

As long as the CPU keeps up, the effect will probably well less than a single percentage point.

Oh, cool. My trusty i7-2600k soldiers on for another half-decade.

Thanks.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I'm still tempted to buy a 970 even though I'm on a 1080 display for the foreseeable future. The onboard downsampling feature does look pretty nice compared to standard anti-aliasing. Plus I will probably buy something higher res...eventually.

Also I will run it on my 450w Seasonic PSU, which clearly has enough power since it has an 8 pin PCI power connector :getin:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I looked at some test where they tried out pcie 2.0 and 3.0, both 8x and 16x. There was no measurable difference.

I thought about upgrading from i7 920 with decent OC, but decided to upgrade only the gpu first from radeon 6950, since most games are heavily gpu bound.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

HalloKitty posted:

NVIDIA has suddenly given us the best card in performance/power/price (970), and some are still going "eh, if only I could spend more".

Did no-one else see that you can OC a 970 to 980-comparable performance?

When the gap between the 290 and 290X was similar, everyone said the extra money for the 290X isn't worth it.

A gap that can be overclocked to close, is not one that will provide any degree of "future-proofing".

But now we have people entertaining 980s. At 1920×1080.

If you have money to burn, no random guy on a forum can stop you, but it's not a good way to spend the money.

Its ok. Clearly we've moved into a much more comfortable price bracket for a lot more people and that's just fine since nobody anywhere is saying anybody needs a 980 for 1080p or 1200p.

There seems to be a growing notion that the 980 is kind of useless since the 970 can OC close to it. I don't see any indication that the 980 doesn't OC just as well though. If you need the capability of a 980, say for 1440p or whatever else, don't think its some waste of money because you can OC a 970. And yes, SLI'ing 970's will blow a 980 out of the water for - well, more money but close, but its becoming amusing that this has been the case for like 2 years now but only now does that seem to sit well with a much larger crowd.

Anyways, there's very little not to like this time around, and it's a little harder to go wrong too.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

1gnoirents posted:

Its ok. Clearly we've moved into a much more comfortable price bracket for a lot more people and that's just fine since nobody anywhere is saying anybody needs a 980 for 1080p or 1200p.

There seems to be a growing notion that the 980 is kind of useless since the 970 can OC close to it. I don't see any indication that the 980 doesn't OC just as well though. If you need the capability of a 980, say for 1440p or whatever else, don't think its some waste of money because you can OC a 970. And yes, SLI'ing 970's will blow a 980 out of the water for - well, more money but close, but its becoming amusing that this has been the case for like 2 years now but only now does that seem to sit well with a much larger crowd.

Anyways, there's very little not to like this time around, and it's a little harder to go wrong too.

An overclocked 970 would be plenty for 95% of 1440p gamers though. It's only the crazy pants folk like myself and Agreed who'd go beyond that. And a 980 still isn't enough for 4k IMO so those people would still be looking at SLI.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

The Lord Bude posted:

An overclocked 970 would be plenty for 95% of 1440p gamers though. It's only the crazy pants folk like myself and Agreed who'd go beyond that. And a 980 still isn't enough for 4k IMO so those people would still be looking at SLI.

My admittedly shallow and subjective benchmark I look for is BF4, and kind of extrapolate from there what other games will do. That looks to be around a very wide range (45-65 fps depending on various overclocking and msaa, and 1440/1600p) but its hard for me to say a single 970 will do for me at least. It will do really, really great for the dollar but I still think a 980 would be more appropriate for 1440p in general. I'm gonna try them all though in all likelihood, unless 970 SLI just blows me away which it could.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Icept posted:

They cancelled my order as well :D

Where did you end up ordering from, Komplett?

Yea, Komplett and ProShop were the same price but Komplett actually have stock.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

1gnoirents posted:

My admittedly shallow and subjective benchmark I look for is BF4, and kind of extrapolate from there what other games will do. That looks to be around a very wide range (45-65 fps depending on various overclocking and msaa, and 1440/1600p) but its hard for me to say a single 970 will do for me at least. It will do really, really great for the dollar but I still think a 980 would be more appropriate for 1440p in general. I'm gonna try them all though in all likelihood, unless 970 SLI just blows me away which it could.

Welcome to the crazy pants club! You can submit your details to Agreed if you want to subscribe to the monthly newsletter.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out if I should replace my 5 year old 5850 with a newly-cheap 280X or 285, or if the GTX 970 is worth the stretch and figure I'm doing a monitor upgrade to more than my current 1920x1200 next year.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

Meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out if I should replace my 5 year old 5850 with a newly-cheap 280X or 285, or if the GTX 970 is worth the stretch and figure I'm doing a monitor upgrade to more than my current 1920x1200 next year.

970. Do it...you know you want too...

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

1gnoirents posted:

I actually think 970 SLI is potentially more rational than one 980, to be honest, since you're getting so much more performance for the money.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Based on the differences between transistor counts, tdp and core counts of the 780 ti vs the 980, has Nvidia has left 30% of the potential performance of these cards on the table?

780 ti | 980
2880 CUDA cores | 2048 CUDA cores
250w TDP | 165w TDP
7.1B Transistors | 5.2B Transistors

You obviously can't compare these across architectures 1-1, but it would seem that there is the extra die space and power limits to tack on extra processing power without any major redesigns. Maybe something on the back burner / with poor yields that they'll bring out when AMD responds?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

HalloKitty posted:

I actually think 970 SLI is potentially more rational than one 980, to be honest, since you're getting so much more performance for the money.

Just like the 760 SLI and 770 SLI, little has changed there for the actual dollar over its single card counterpart. The problem before was a single 770, when I had to use it, isn't going to perform as well in 1440p as a single 970 so its just more attractive this time around. Plus native 4gb, while I had a hard time (ie impossible) finding real data about 2gb vs 4gb SLI it can't be a bad thing.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

HalloKitty posted:

Especially if you are planning on getting an Oculus Rift. Nvidia's new VR-SLI rendering with a pair for 970 should get you lower latency than a single 980 card.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

To make your decision more difficult, there are already rumors that nVidia will release a GTX 960 in time for holiday shopping in the R9 285 price/performance bracket.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Rastor posted:

To make your decision more difficult, there are already rumors that nVidia will release a GTX 960 in time for holiday shopping in the R9 285 price/performance bracket.

I know for sure that I'm going to have a 2560x1440 monitor within the year, it looks like the GTX 970 wouldn't be wasted on that for sure. I'll hold out until 970 prices and availability shakes out though, and I really want a card with at least 2 displayport so my choices are very limited.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So the MSI GeForce GTX 970 has four outputs, each of a different type. Display Port, HDMI, DVI-I and DVI-D.

If you hooked up a monitor with a display port input, an HDMI input, and a DVI input, you could successfully run three monitors for gaming with this card, right?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 22, 2014

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

GreatGreen posted:

So the MSI GeForce GTX 970 has four outputs, each of a different type. Display Port, HDMI, DVI-I and DVI-D.

I feel I should know this but functionally (and realistically) what's the difference between DVI-I and DVI-D?

I'll probably be ordering an MSI 970 when they get in stock anywhere. Which looks like tomorrow.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

GreatGreen posted:

If you hooked up a monitor with a display port input, an HDMI input, and a DVI input, you could successfully run three monitors for gaming with this card, right?

Right, this has worked since Kepler.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

AirRaid posted:

I feel I should know this but functionally (and realistically) what's the difference between DVI-I and DVI-D?

DVI-D carries only a digital signal. DVI-I also carries an analog signal via those four pins on the far left, which allows for a simple passive adapter to convert from DVI to VGA if you want.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Also you can easily convert between HDMI and DVI using a passive adapter (or cable with two different ends).

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I have an i5-750 box with an HD5850 in it. From a CPU bottlenecking standpoint, would it be worth it to put a GTX680 in that box, and then buy a GTX970 for my i5-3570k box?

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Ihmemies posted:

I looked at some test where they tried out pcie 2.0 and 3.0, both 8x and 16x. There was no measurable difference.

I thought about upgrading from i7 920 with decent OC, but decided to upgrade only the gpu first from radeon 6950, since most games are heavily gpu bound.

This is exactly the same boat I am in, thanks for contributing to my decision. :)

With a gtx 970, I'm hoping the now 6 years old i7 920 can hold out all the way to skylake.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

tijag posted:

I have an i5-750 box with an HD5850 in it. From a CPU bottlenecking standpoint, would it be worth it to put a GTX680 in that box, and then buy a GTX970 for my i5-3570k box?

I mean it might bottleneck a little depending on the game, but it'd still perform very well.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Thunderbolt? Niche. DockPort? Haven't heard about that in a while. gently caress it, pipe DisplayPort and power over USB bidirectionally from the same port..

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
With all these complaints about the ACX cooler on the EVGA 970 cards, I'm wondering, is it supposed to be louder or something than the ACX cooler that shipped with their 760 cards?
I have an EVGA 760 SC w/ ACX and the noise has never bothered me. I'd like to stick to EVGA, so I was wondering if the ACX cooler is louder this time or if it's always been considered loud?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Gwaihir posted:

Right, this has worked since Kepler.

Awesome, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Guys, I'm allowed to buy a 980 for my triple 1440 set up right? I wouldn't want to get anyone's panties in a bunch. Anyone know when the EVGA Classified will be available?

I leave Saturday for my cruise (7 days on a boat with my parents brother and sister-in-law with their 2 kids.) Can't even order one this week :( because any sort of shipping delay would have it show up while I'm of town. Boo.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 22, 2014