Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Missy is Moffat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Moffat watched the last season of Supernatural and wanted to crib the scene where a lady in heaven talks to a guy over a table. Canon.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wasn't sure if this was too spoilery for the main thread, but it seems there is casting news for the Christmas special:

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/article/nick-frost-to-guest-star-in-2014-doctor-who-christmas-special

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Bicyclops posted:

Wasn't sure if this was too spoilery for the main thread, but it seems there is casting news for the Christmas special:

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/article/nick-frost-to-guest-star-in-2014-doctor-who-christmas-special

It always makes me happy to see one of the Troughton clan in Who. :3:

e: there's a post over on GB that worries me something's been cut from Time Heist. It better not be the brain melting.

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 19, 2014

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

HD DAD posted:

It always makes me happy to see one of the Troughton clan in Who. :3:

e: there's a post over on GB that worries me something's been cut from Time Heist. It better not be the brain melting.

That scene was in the trailer so I very much doubt it.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Into the Dalek had Rusty suicide bombing the Dalek cruiser cut.
Robot of Sherwood had the beheading cut.

The latter explicitly due to ISIS, the former for unknown reasons.

I don't think ISIS, however cartoonishly evil they are, melt people's brains.

Laivaren
Sep 15, 2006

Is it just me or does the series 8 episodes all feel rushed, like too fast paced?

No time to dwell, just set-up, action, conclusion, done.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Laivaren posted:

Is it just me or does the series 8 episodes all feel rushed, like too fast paced?

All part of Moffat's assertion that there isn't a story that cannot be told in 45 minutes.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Laivaren posted:

It's the single most off putting thing about the current era of Who for me.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

TinTower posted:

Into the Dalek had Rusty suicide bombing the Dalek cruiser cut.
Robot of Sherwood had the beheading cut.

The latter explicitly due to ISIS, the former for unknown reasons.

TinTower posted:

suicide bombing

is my guess

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
OK let's be totally honest here. No one, NO ONE, is going to draw comparisons to a Dalek blowing itself up to a human terrorist.

No one reasonable.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
I just assumed Moffat decided to keep him in case he wanted to use him again.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah fair enough, just my guess as to why they removed it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Clearly Jenny and Rusty are going to find each other somewhere in the cosmos and travel together righting wrongs.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah fair enough, just my guess as to why they removed it.

Maybe because they thought the ending that they went with was better?
The 2 changes are not the same - the dalek one was a re write and an differently filmed ending during production, the robin hood one was a last minute edit prior to broadcast in reaction to an event a week earlier.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Beens posted:

Maybe because they thought the ending that they went with was better?
The 2 changes are not the same - the dalek one was a re write and an differently filmed ending during production, the robin hood one was a last minute edit prior to broadcast in reaction to an event a week earlier.

Uh, not exactly sport.

They rewrote jackshit and nothing was differently filmed as you say.

They just cut the scene, like they cut Robin's scene.

Unless you know more than we do about the behind the scenes tomfoolery.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Who was beheaded originally?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

God, the normal thread is going to poo poo a brick with the final line of next episode.

Or not.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

BSam posted:

Or not.

Yeah, I'm not upset to be wrong about this one.

Senor Tron posted:

Who was beheaded originally?

The Sheriff. Robin beheads him during the final sword fight and reveals he's half robot. He grabs his own head and puts it back on, prompting the line about being half man and half machine.

Burkion posted:

Uh, not exactly sport.

They rewrote jackshit and nothing was differently filmed as you say.

They just cut the scene, like they cut Robin's scene.

Yeah, the original self destruct scene is in the work print. They didn't change poo poo, just omitted it.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

BSam posted:

Or not.

Goddamn, spoke too soon.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

BSam posted:

Goddamn, spoke too soon.

I need to cut down on Doctor Who. Weirdly I've found the normal thread to be incredibly negative of late, and I don't mean that some people have negative opinions, I mean no one seems to be getting along and there's lots of petty poo poo. I blame bleed over from the Toxx thread and people like Irish Joe being able to poo poo up threads.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

I blame bleed over from the Toxx thread

What? The Toxx thread has been fairly positive and is nearly entirely populated by posters from the other thread.

I don't think it's effecting the main thread in the slightest aside from the occasional comment on the Toxx thread.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Garrus and the Ghostbuster! :haw:

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
I"m too far behind to read all the posts here and in the episode threads and holy poo poo you guys. Did we talk about Rusty potentially being the dalek that souffle girl ends up in?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I"m too far behind to read all the posts here and in the episode threads and holy poo poo you guys. Did we talk about Rusty potentially being the dalek that souffle girl ends up in?

Huh? I don't think she was placed inside a pre-existing Dalek in Asylum of the Daleks, she was turned into one.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Hungry Squirrel posted:

No that's idiotic

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

No that's idiotic

Idiotic? or brilliant?

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Spoilers Below posted:

Idiotic? or brilliant?

Oh, crap. Now I'm starting to think it's actually true.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

PriorMarcus posted:

Irish Joe being able to poo poo up threads.

I like how I'm taking flak here despite being one of the few people praising the new episodes/season. Seriously, there is nothing but hate coming from that thread and regulars are looking for any reason to complain (ex. the bank lady resembling silence lady is further proof Moffat hates women--what the gently caress?). Don't blame those of us trying to defend the series for getting caught in the tidal wave of poo poo swamping everything in that thread.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You're taking poo poo for totally unrelated reasons.

Also for the record, I only argued that they did resemble each other. Because they do. Not that strong a resemblance, but hey.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

I like how I'm taking flak here despite being one of the few people praising the new episodes/season. Seriously, there is nothing but hate coming from that thread and regulars are looking for any reason to complain (ex. the bank lady resembling silence lady is further proof Moffat hates women--what the gently caress?). Don't blame those of us trying to defend the series for getting caught in the tidal wave of poo poo swamping everything in that thread.

You're also a dumb piece of poo poo, so there's that.

It has nothing to do with you liking the episodes. I like the episodes. You're just a douchebag.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Irish Joe makes me laugh. I have no idea if he's a troll or not, but he makes me laugh.

Anyway, how about some new Doctor Who spoilers?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Well, apparently the Christmas special is supposed to be a full-on comedy, with Nick Frost as Santa Claus. I poo poo you not. Supposedly takes place three years after the series finale, and Clara's there too.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

HD DAD posted:

Well, apparently the Christmas special is supposed to be a full-on comedy, with Nick Frost as Santa Claus. I poo poo you not. Supposedly takes place three years after the series finale, and Clara's there too.

But is it set on Planet Christmas again?

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

HD DAD posted:

Considering the premise of doctor who... what does this mean? Three years of the doctor's subjective time? Clara's? Both?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DirtyRobot posted:

Considering the premise of doctor who... what does this mean? Three years of the doctor's subjective time? Clara's? Both?

Clara's. Three years is enough time for her to have gotten over Danny's death and to be okay leaving her baby at home. Consequences skipped!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Clara's. Three years is enough time for her to have gotten over Danny's death and to be okay leaving her baby at home. Consequences skipped!

I foresee baby, but I really hope Danny isn't dead. :(

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
You know, I'd prefer he doesn't bite it. With the high chance of Jenna leaving at Christmas, it'd be nice to have Clara just bow out with a happy ending. She's got a family now, with a child and loving husband, and she just has to say goodbye and move on. Like the Toy Story 3 ending.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

HD DAD posted:

You know, I'd prefer he doesn't bite it. With the high chance of Jenna leaving at Christmas, it'd be nice to have Clara just bow out with a happy ending. She's got a family now, with a child and loving husband, and she just has to say goodbye and move on. Like the Toy Story 3 ending.

It's not a high chance, she IS leaving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

It's not a high chance, she IS leaving.

That hasn't been confirmed.

• Locked thread