Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

hobbesmaster posted:

these things own for opengl stuff. they even seem to be fairly decently put together

why? just the gpu they use or something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

carry on then posted:

why? just the gpu they use or something else?

they have quadros and are giant bricks so are free to use higher tdp stuff

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Wheany posted:

yes, the displays for surface tablet computers (as opposed to the surface computing platform now known as pixelsense), known as cleartype was the beginning of the end. but the sub-pixel based text antialiasing solution also known as cleartype owns.

no i mean the other thing you are wrong and also gay

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Millstone posted:

no i mean the other thing you are wrong and also gay

The time is 132786685869

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Fabricated posted:

People doing CAD/CAM/etc work here buy Precision Laptops. They're pretty nice outside of being gently caress-off huge.

my work laptop is a fully specced out m4800 with 32 GB of ram and a quadro k2000

and a non ssd hard drive lol

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:

mishaq posted:

my work laptop is a fully specced out m4800 with 32 GB of ram and a quadro k2000

and a non ssd hard drive lol

i will never underestimate the malice within the it person that specs out the computers for administrative/finance departments

i saw single-core workstations being purchased long past the point when i could imagine dell would have them in stock

they must have been a special order

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

i will never underestimate the malice within the it person that specs out the computers for administrative/finance departments

i saw single-core workstations being purchased long past the point when i could imagine dell would have them in stock

they must have been a special order

they also configured it to not have a microphone

as in, you have 3 options, with webcam/mic (maybe $20 more), just with mic (no additional cost) or no mic (no additional cost).

i guess you can remove the microphone for environments that require no recording equipment to be brought in?

the worst part is it still has the mic holes so I had to spend half a day figuring out why skype wouldn't see any microphones on my laptop in tyool 2014

thanks retarded it guy

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mishaq posted:

thanks retarded it guy
:tipshat:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

if your it dept. don't purchase computers with ssds then lol gently caress your poo poo employer i guess

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
"no one said anything about harddrive speeds right? yeah we can just settle with 5400 rpm drives for everything"

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
"i dont want this o&o defrag site license we bought five years ago to go to waste, no ssds, ever anywhere"

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
loving laptop keyboards with numpads are such a mistake. I don't care what size it is. If you have to take the spacebar and trackpad and put them off center, you have made a serious error.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I wouldn't know about lovely laptops because I use a MacBook Air op

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Thanks Ants posted:

if your it dept. don't purchase computers with ssds then lol gently caress your poo poo employer i guess

:( Everytime the new budget rolls around we keep being promised SSDs for our Dev machines, then they are the first thing to get cut because "budgets" :argh:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

TerminalRaptor posted:

:( Everytime the new budget rolls around we keep being promised SSDs for our Dev machines, then they are the first thing to get cut because "budgets" :argh:

lol if you can't just ask your boss to expense you an SSD to get your drat job done

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

The Management posted:

lol if you can't just ask your boss to expense you an SSD to get your drat job done

To be fair I don't "need" it. I just want it :devil:

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
it's cool not having ssd at work because it means i can get up and get a cup of coffee and still "be working"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Phoenixan posted:

it's cool not having ssd at work because it means i can get up and get a cup of coffee and still "be working"

lol if you don't just do this 8 hours a day 5 days a week and get paid too much to do it

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

so what's the timeframe for MS abandoning ship on mobile looking like?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
after rim dies

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

so what's the timeframe for MS abandoning ship on mobile looking like?

don't be crazy, they'll never give this up, no matter how pathetic they look

there's no future in the desktop, unless they somehow get in on the phone/tablet market they have no hope outside of boring legacy business crap

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

anthonypants posted:

after rim dies

they'll hail it as a victory

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
rim dies

"we just DESTROYED one of our BIGGEST competitors everyone!"

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

Phoenixan posted:

rim dies

the company that claims to vanquish rim and harvest the ip organs from its corpse will also inherit its curse of throwing off all executive business focus to instead bring an nhl team to southwest ontario while everything else collapses around them

call me crazy, but now that allen has his sounders and ballmer has his clippies, do you really think satya wont be driven to distraction and want his rimmies?

big league sports have been brutal to ms leadership effectiveness

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

lol sportsball

this is why engineers should run companies, not salesbros

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

want his rimmies?

this already happens im sure

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Number19 posted:

the ghost of windows past will always haunt microsoft

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

old cleartype was fine, new cleartype looks like poo poo on any display that isn't a high dpi one. which on a pc is all of them because windows scales really badly.

someone delineate the cleartypes for me

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

quote:

With a simple "yes," Microsoft's Xbox chief, Phil Spencer, has confirmed that Minecraft will be heading to Windows Phone. It's not a surprising move given Microsoft's recent acquisition of the popular title, but the software maker didn't promise to bring Minecraft to Windows Phone in its original announcement. Spencer's confirmation means Microsoft will likely be working on porting the game across once the deal is finalized, and it may even arrive for Surface RT and Windows RT users.

lol ms paid 2.5bn united states dollars so they could have a windows phone version of minecraft

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

theadder posted:

someone delineate the cleartypes for me

the old cleartype sub-pixel font rendering basically gave you retina quality font smoothing in windows xp and was great 10 years ago. it worked bc each r,g, and b on lcds are subpixels of 1/3 width stacked horizontally so long thin poo poo like fonts can be smoothed effectively, but it only works in one screen orientation so it's worthless for tablets

the sarnsung amoled screens work like that but in a weird pentile layout for both orientations and they just claim the higher effective resolution as native

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

eschaton posted:

this is why engineers should run companies, not salesbros

lol if you work for salespeople and dont do sales

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

graph posted:

lol if you work

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Metrication posted:

quote:

and it may even arrive for Surface RT and Windows RT users.

it's weird that this sentence was included because there are no Surface RT and Windows RT users

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Phoenixan posted:

rim dies

nah they'll just end up buying them

"windows mobile just climbed 0.1% in global marketshare! bonuses for managers, cuts for everyone else!"

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

the old cleartype sub-pixel font rendering basically gave you retina quality font smoothing in windows xp and was great 10 years ago. it worked bc each r,g, and b on lcds are subpixels of 1/3 width stacked horizontally so long thin poo poo like fonts can be smoothed effectively, but it only works in one screen orientation so it's worthless for tablets

the sarnsung amoled screens work like that but in a weird pentile layout for both orientations and they just claim the higher effective resolution as native

also keep in mind these were being rendered over VGA which could do some fuzzy things too.

as everything got digital from end to end clear type became less needed.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

eschaton posted:

since they started mimicking jag in their designs enough that it's hard to tell their butts apart
you can tell the difference by noting which one of them is not on fire.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
pentile is dog poo poo piss garbage

gently caress everything to do with that chickenwire crap

amoled in an rgb arrangement is probably ok though idk i've never seen it because it always comes in pentile

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

the company that claims to vanquish rim and harvest the ip organs from its corpse will also inherit its curse of throwing off all executive business focus to instead bring an nhl team to southwest ontario while everything else collapses around them

call me crazy, but now that allen has his sounders and ballmer has his clippies, do you really think satya wont be driven to distraction and want his rimmies?

paul allen actually part-owns the sounders

he owns the seahawks and the trailblazers tho

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

pagancow posted:

also keep in mind these were being rendered over VGA which could do some fuzzy things too.

as everything got digital from end to end clear type became less needed.

what? these were lcd screens operating at their native resolutions, this reads like some monster cable ad copy. if the display wasn't pixel-perfect then cleartype would've just made poo poo worse

the point is it made 1024x768 render text like it was 3072x768 (sorta). it's also why windows screenshots sometimes have weird color fringes on the text bc their lcd had different rgb geometry from yours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

FamDav posted:

paul allen actually part-owns the sounders

he owns the seahawks and the trailblazers tho

i was trying to work in the practice of sounding, that being urethral stimulation, into rimming to provide a homoerotic undertone for my post

but thank you for chalking it up to a lack of research instead

• Locked thread