Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

frozentreasure posted:

Wasn't one of the major points of DAILY VLOGS to dissuade the notion that general RP videos are supposed to be a completely serious critique of LP videos and that the creators of the videos hate you guys for doing them?

It's just a bit of dumb fun and the guy's reacting as such.

So my current running theory is that once we got a bit of popularity, we constantly get new some members who misunderstand it - so my new strategy is to just constantly remind people via annotations, etc. This currently has a side-effect of spotlighting the poorer regions of our fanbase (which actually a couple of YouTube celebrity types on Retsutalk have mentioned - is one of the better YouTube fanbases all things considered).

I'm actually happy that our comments section is mostly readable (save Video Game Therapist videos) and I've been trying to Tweet out better comments, etc. to sort of show off, "holy poo poo, it's actually not all bad!" but I think as you increase in volume, you just get bad, loud elements as it goes.

chitoryu12 posted:

How in the world does he have millions of dollars?

Video ads pay really well. Pewdiepie is an anomaly and no other YouTuber touches his numbers - especially remarkable considering it's *ONE* guy (as opposed to Smosh or Rooster Teeth).

I don't know if he sells merch, but that's a good supplement too. The full-timers typically supplement their income somehow, even if it's just adding Twitch subscriptions to YouTube ad revenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh, I was making a rhetorical question. anilEhilated was asking how a PDP wiki could come up, and I was pointing out that if the guy is a legit millionaire based on entertainment he must have something that would result in it. Even if it's just a catalog of rape jokes.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Suspicious Dish posted:

Lazyfire, what is the proper response to a retsupurae, if you can't be happy about it, you can't ignore it, and you can't get angry about it? This thread seems to get mad about all three.

Getting better would probably be the best outcome? I don't think there's a proper way to react to it, being super excited is just a really weird way to respond. When you have some of your content showing up on a channel dedicated to making fun of bad let's plays and games that is usually not supposed to be flattering.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I'd feel honored to be retsupurae'd. It'd mean I'm good enough to make millions of dollars with Let's Play.

Also: If I actually got retsupurae'd back when I made complete poo poo videos I would not mind because why should I cry about some randoms on the internet giving me poo poo?

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Lazyfire posted:

Getting better would probably be the best outcome? I don't think there's a proper way to react to it, being super excited is just a really weird way to respond. When you have some of your content showing up on a channel dedicated to making fun of bad let's plays and games that is usually not supposed to be flattering.

It's you. You're the lovely RP fan. It's been stated over and over that RP is just for fun. And when someone takes it as something that's just done for fun, you then accuse them of taking it the wrong way.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

RPing a video doesn't mean it's bad, it means they can make fun of it. A great example of this are any of the BillMC/LimePopsicle videos they've done.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Lazyfire posted:

I gotta be honest, I do like it best when people go nuts in their responses like when TheAssholeIncarnate threatened to break my jaw.

But a very close second is when we can just laugh it off and I don't have to deal with DMCA claims, etc.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
drat, that's chill.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

slowbeef posted:

I gotta be honest, I do like it best when people go nuts in their responses like when TheAssholeIncarnate threatened to break my jaw.

"Underdeveloped prepubescent voices."

Confirmed for not actually watching the videos with the sound on.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

djw175 posted:

It's you. You're the lovely RP fan. It's been stated over and over that RP is just for fun. And when someone takes it as something that's just done for fun, you then accuse them of taking it the wrong way.

I'm not sitting there hoping that someone has a breakdown over an RP or learn a life lesson, nor am I in the comments or this thread suggesting people to RP; I just think the reaction of "Cool, super happy to see my video on here" is a strange reaction.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Lazyfire posted:

I just think the reaction of "Cool, super happy to see my video on here" is a strange reaction.

I think it's the best response to have, really. If I made a movie and then the guys from MST3K riffed on it, I'd be super excited to see what made them think it was funny enough to use in that way.

Retsupurae kinda moved on from being explicitly about taking the piss out of bad LPs quite a while ago, now it's more broad internet comedy. It's not to say it's praising your work but finding the funny in it is surely reason enough to be happy with your stuff being featured?

hell maybe he can just take criticism on the chin and be cool about it, that's also an option. It's really not a strange reaction to have at all.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I was watching some old Retsupurae and I ended up on the Lime Popsicle and BillyMC pinball video which made me go find The Lime Popsicle's youtube channel.

I was happy to see he's still making videos, with his cousin (who goes by "Pants") and uploading him singing 60's crooner songs.

Here's a sampler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjA4OjW-bVg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR5Ie9H3rMA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3Az5EmIssA (warning, loving hour long video, i made it like 5 minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAmhF_xpGd8

Pants sounds chill as gently caress tho, I'd hang with that dude

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy

Monicro posted:

I know this is more of a recommendations thread but does anyone know of a good Outlast LP? My standards are low so I'll probably be good with whatever as long as it doesn't have (or at the very least focus on) scarecam silliness.
Are your standards low enough?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

GNU Order posted:

I was watching some old Retsupurae and I ended up on the Lime Popsicle and BillyMC pinball video which made me go find The Lime Popsicle's youtube channel.

I was happy to see he's still making videos, with his cousin (who goes by "Pants") and uploading him singing 60's crooner songs.

Here's a sampler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjA4OjW-bVg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3Az5EmIssA (warning, loving hour long video, i made it like 5 minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAmhF_xpGd8

Pants sounds chill as gently caress tho, I'd hang with that dude

Oddly enough There is a completely unrelated Lime Popsicle Youtube account that uploads Vinyl records of Big Band/Swing/Vocal music so maybe it's a reference to some period thing I don't quite get.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

DialTheDude posted:

Are your standards low enough?

what the gently caress

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...

This guy is boss as gently caress and I need to include this in my Fallout 3 LPs somehow. Including the reference to Kat Dennings.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Mr DJB posted:

This guy is boss as gently caress and I need to include this in my Fallout 3 LP somehow. Including the reference to Kat Dennings.

This should do it.

That said, it won't have Three Dog howling over it, so you'll lose out on that. :(:

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...
I actually have to avoid playing any radio in that LP for copyright reasons. Crazy, I know.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

judge reinhold posted:

There are wikis on all sorts of esoteric things, such as The Golden Compass.

Be honest, the only reason that place exists is because of your LP of it. NINA is probably the one who wrote all of it, too.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Of all the things I'm mad about, it's mostly that they missed the boat by not calling it the PewDiePedia.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Suspicious Dish posted:

Out of all the things that you're surprised has a wiki, the number one YouTube subscribed channel is an odd choice.

Well, I'm surprised in the sense that it's a narrow topic. I wouldn't be surprised by a huge page or even a category on a site covering Youtubers or LPers, just like Miyamoto has a page on most Nintendo wikis. But a dedicated wiki just to him definitely strikes me as odd.

Like, there's a Joss Whedon wiki ("Whedonverse" wikia), but it's mostly links to wikis about his other shows, and a few in depth pages on some of his less notable work like his Shakespeare adaptation. Having a wiki literally about Joss Whedon would be a tad odd no matter how popular his stuff is or how much nerds like him.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

slowbeef posted:

Cryaotic (Cry / ChaoticMonki) follows us on Twitter and drops hints here and there that he wants to be Retsupuraed. Seamus (SSOHKPC) of the Creatures made a video that was basically like "It's about time, you guys!" Some people like us! :) (I've wanted to do Cry, but I haven't found a good video for it.)

I think that Cry and Seamus would be great for the podcast but if you want to RP Cry, you need to RP his fanbase somehow. Maybe doing something like mix between youtube reacts an your pdp video where people read comments/fanfics over his videos.

Here is a shameless plug an example a fanfic being read. It's not great nor complete but I like it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yo are there any good Non-SA LPrs that did Dead Rising with a lot of the grind cut out?

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy

Turtlicious posted:

Yo are there any good Non-SA LPrs that did Dead Rising with a lot of the grind cut out?
I don't know what you mean by grind, but there is one guy who managed to do everything in the game (survivors rescued, bosses beat, etc.) all from Level 1 with very little mistakes made.

I've only seen a few of the videos, but he pretty much knows everything beat-for-beat and does it all efficiently. The video quality isn't bad, but the infamous in-game text is still illegible. This was all done before Youtube raised the time limit for the average account, so all 59 videos are within the range of 10 minutes each. I can't speak for the guy himself, not just because he doesn't have any commentary whatsoever, but because he keeps a link to his Fur Affinity account at the top of his channel page. He doesn't draw attention to it and there are no references to him being a furry in his playthrough, unless you want to shift through the comments section and find a possible flamewar about it.

Gotta give credit where credit is due, though: he's really good at the game. :golfclap:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

apparently raocow watched the Alone In The Dark retsupurae videos because he said "I remember that from the retsupuraes" in reaction to an Alone In The Dark 3 song.

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014

watho posted:

apparently raocow watched the Alone In The Dark retsupurae videos because he said "I remember that from the retsupuraes" in reaction to an Alone In The Dark 3 song.

He's done this before: I think one time he called Ridley "the Retsupurae guy", and I've seen him comment on one before (it wasn't on slowbeef's channel, but it was by a goon).

Speaking of which: has he been active here lately?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

BlueDude posted:

He's done this before: I think one time he called Ridley "the Retsupurae guy"

I'm pretty sure he's straight up referred to Ridley as "slowbeef" on occasion.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

BlueDude posted:

He's done this before: I think one time he called Ridley "the Retsupurae guy", and I've seen him comment on one before (it wasn't on slowbeef's channel, but it was by a goon).

Speaking of which: has he been active here lately?

He's mostly on the talkhaus but I think he checks in here from time to time.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
He said he'd be down for our podcast - I should get that going at some point.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

slowbeef posted:

He said he'd be down for our podcast - I should get that going at some point.

How many guests are queued up at this point?

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

watho posted:

How many guests are queued up at this point?

He still needs to get SSoHPKCC3PO guy to guest on the podcast... so, probably a big queue at this point.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
slowbeef how is your daughter doing? Also how is the podcast doing?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Turtlicious posted:

Did you check out the archived LP by OatmealRaisin? He speeds up or cuts out boring parts like backtracking or whatever, shows off all the alternate endings and different versions of boss fights, saves every survivor and so on. Whenever I feel like replaying Dead Rising 1, I just watch this instead because I just can't handle that survivor AI and the janky game mechanics any more.

The original Blip links are gone, but the whole thing is on the Internet Archive.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Unfortunately it cuts out the Let's Explore videos which were the best part of the whole thing but v:shobon:v

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
I don't usually plug Retsupurae stuff in here, but this really made me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKCfguqW53U

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

slowbeef posted:

I sounded like you watching this.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Why is it that facecams are bad but fully body cameras, especially as used in streams etc, are fine? Like, I know it to be TRUE, but can't put my finger on why it is exactly.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Rodyle posted:

Why is it that facecams are bad but fully body cameras, especially as used in streams etc, are fine? Like, I know it to be TRUE, but can't put my finger on why it is exactly.
I'd guess because facecams are more about overexaggerated expressions and trying to create a brand identity from the player's face. Most of the time I've seen full-body cams it's at AGDQ and other such things - and speedrunners generally go to the other extreme, letting their playing do the talking and barely saying anything because they're concentrating so hard. Again using AGDQ as an example, most of the time you've got full-body cam you've also got a group of people... who can bounce off each other more naturally I guess?

Fatbot
Oct 17, 2012

slowbeef posted:

Best moment is a single .png:

also, after beating the game once if you play again you get this instead:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I feel like there's a huge unresolved plot thread here. What happened to giant hand man?

• Locked thread