Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
What are some nicely designed games to be played with friends around the globe? I have a friend in Seattle and a friend in Japan. I want to physically own them both in separate games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

noirstronaut posted:

What are some nicely designed games to be played with friends around the globe? I have a friend in Seattle and a friend in Japan. I want to physically own them both in separate games.

Carcassone. Oh god Carcassone!

gently caress Bummey forever.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also Ticket to Ride.

Which also gets a gently caress Bummey forever.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

noirstronaut posted:

I wonder if the XCOM port would be good for this. It has multiplayer.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

After work, I was all like "I'll play monster hunter for 2 hours before doing some chores." That was 5 hours ago :stare: I haven't play that much video games in one sitting in a very long time.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

tuyop posted:

I wonder if the XCOM port would be good for this. It has multiplayer.

Worked nicely right up until I found out mutons taking cover then moving will just freeze up instead of vaulting the cover.
Wouldn't be an issue if I could just tell them not to but goddamn they just have to take that shortcut to the spaces in front of them.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Also, The Battle Cats update: somebody who speaks English as a first language has gone through the game. It's still funny, but in a different way. Also, you fight through all of Asia, as opposed to just Japan, as in Battle Cats. It's great. Just in time for a commute-filler. I love you, PONOS.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Shwqa posted:

After work, I was all like "I'll play monster hunter for 2 hours before doing some chores." That was 5 hours ago :stare: I haven't play that much video games in one sitting in a very long time.

On what device?

e: Oh it's that one - gotcha.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 22, 2014

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010

Shwqa posted:

How are the controls on that? I like the idea of monster hunter, but the thought if using touchscreen for something like that makes me nervous.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Geburan posted:

How are the controls on that? I like the idea of monster hunter, but the thought if using touchscreen for something like that makes me nervous.

Shockingly good- after playing Monster Hunter on my phone I feel like I could probably beat Dark Souls using similar controls. They're not perfect, you have to use THE CLAW to control the camera while doing other stuff, but I'd say it about stands up to the PSP controls. The contextual buttons, which can be pushed and pulled in various directions for various functions, are really really clever. The main downside is that if you're on a phone instead of a pad, the screen can get a little crowded.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This game went free:

http://appshopper.com/games/flesh-blood-attack-on-orc

Anything have anything good to say about it?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

a) it's free

b) in order to humans, orcs must die

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Ghostlight posted:

a) it's free

b) in order to humans, orcs must die

I want to try this, if only to find out what the hell a "paranephros rocket" is.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Geburan posted:

I was highly skeptical about the controls, which is one of the main reasons I held off buying the game. However reviews kept pouring in say the game is awesome. The game really does control well. The camera is a bit annoying but if you tap the screen it centers on what way your character is facing and there is lock on for all major enemies (click on their art work).

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
The battle cats

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

The battle cats

The Battle Cats

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

The battle cats

Is it a new game or the same game with a different translation?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Somebody mentioned Ticket to Ride. Bought it, it's super fun, but the app itself suuuuuuuuuuucks. Oh boy, annoying train sounds for everything! The app hasn't been updated since 2012, and doesn't even have iPhone 5 support, so black bars at the edges of the screen.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
With tiny tower Vegas, since getting my iPhone 6 (normal size) whenever I tap a "watch this add for chips" offer the game crashes without fail :( and also when I get the little gift notification I click on it and it just disappears with no update on who tipped me or any chips :(

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

teacup posted:

With tiny tower Vegas, since getting my iPhone 6 (normal size) whenever I tap a "watch this add for chips" offer the game crashes without fail :( and also when I get the little gift notification I click on it and it just disappears with no update on who tipped me or any chips :(

Figured out the gift bug and haven't been able to replicate the video ad crashing. We've successfully tested ads on iOS 8 on iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, and iPhone 5s. Not sure what is different for the people who are crashing than how we're testing it here :(

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

When using cloud sync with TTV, is there a way to get the notifications on the second device?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

headfake posted:

When using cloud sync with TTV, is there a way to get the notifications on the second device?

Not completely in the background no, but if you load a game up on two devices that are synced both devices should get local notifications?

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

eeenmachine posted:

Not completely in the background no, but if you load a game up on two devices that are synced both devices should get local notifications?

I've never seen any on the second one, local or not. (First is iPad mini retina and 2nd is iPhone 5).

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Doc Block posted:

Somebody mentioned Ticket to Ride. Bought it, it's super fun, but the app itself suuuuuuuuuuucks. Oh boy, annoying train sounds for everything! The app hasn't been updated since 2012, and doesn't even have iPhone 5 support, so black bars at the edges of the screen.

The train sounds don't particularly bother me (I usually play with sounds off) but yeah it's insane that the pocket versions haven't even been updated for tall screens. I assume they just didn't make enough money to continue on developing them, which is really sad. It's good that no show-stopping bugs have shown up because at this point I don't know if we could even expect to see any maintenance updates or anything like that.

The iPad version is pretty good though, although it has the same sounds. We play it all the time at my house because it's easier than busting out the board and shuffling the cards, etc. At least it features more modes, it's got Europe/Switzerland/Asia in addition to the 1910 pack which I know Pocket has as well.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Nueroshima Hex got updated with a new faction, Mississippi, which has a bunch of toxic sewer dwellers with a poison mechanic. The main game and all the other DLC is on sale, so if you want something really tactical, check it out :)

Mississippi Update

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

headfake posted:

I've never seen any on the second one, local or not. (First is iPad mini retina and 2nd is iPhone 5).

You might have notifications disabled for the app in iOS settings (Notification Center). I think iOS 8 asks you to approve even local notifications on install now so maybe you hit "no"?

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

eeenmachine posted:

You might have notifications disabled for the app in iOS settings (Notification Center). I think iOS 8 asks you to approve even local notifications on install now so maybe you hit "no"?

It never asked me about notifications and it doesn't appear in Notification Center. I figured it would need to ask me; I tried starting a new game but it seemed to take forever to ask--I couldn't really remember at what point it was supposed to ask but I went all the way through the tutorial and quite a bit longer and eventually gave up.

I do like how well the syncing works now, though--it's no problem to switch back and forth on the fly whenever I feel like it...

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Still looking for games with beautiful design. Carcassone is refined, but it just looks like a drawn out Game Center from iOS 6. I'm looking for something that'll be fluid and almost awe-inspiring.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

noirstronaut posted:

Still looking for games with beautiful design. Carcassone is refined, but it just looks like a drawn out Game Center from iOS 6. I'm looking for something that'll be fluid and almost awe-inspiring.

Frozen Synapse is kinda pretty and the multiplayer is sick.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I would like a turn based rpg in any setting other than fantasy, please.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Sizone posted:

Loststar Tactics might be right up your alley - though it's a strategy RPG.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
Any thoughts on the final fantasy app pack? Worth it?

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

noirstronaut posted:

Recommending both pathogen and catchup

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Doc Block posted:

It's funny, when it came out I think it was heralded as a really good digital conversion of a board game -- goes to show how quickly the standards have raised for presentation. I don't have an iPad, has anyone played Small World 2? Is its design a little more modern?

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Soylentbits posted:

Any thoughts on the final fantasy app pack? Worth it?

Not really wait for it to drop around the holidays they always have half of them on sale at that point and even at $53 its still a loving rip.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
What are some good console quality thick meaty games I can drop some solid thick hours into? Got a lot of time at work right now to waste on my iPhone 6 Plus 128gb Silver Tim Edition.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Sizone posted:

The penny arcade game was pretty fun. Just don't treat it like normal RPGs. Each battle is a challenge. And there is a limited amount of battles. I highly recommend playing on hard mode.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Shwqa posted:

The penny arcade game was pretty fun. Just don't treat it like normal RPGs. Each battle is a challenge. And there is a limited amount of battles. I highly recommend playing on hard mode.

That's almost what I want, even made by Zeboyd, but goddamnit I loathe Penny Arcade.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Sizone posted:

That's almost what I want, even made by Zeboyd, but goddamnit I loathe Penny Arcade.

I dislike penny arcade comic as well but the game's humor wasn't too bad and sometimes is actually funny. I'm pretty sure it is zeboyd trying to do penny arcade type humor rather than those two fat nerds doing the writing.

Edit:vvvvv I want to disagree with you but I can't recall a single line of dialogue from that game. Maybe I just skipped every line?

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Sizone posted:

The writing in it is unbelievably bad (somehow pompous) monkey cheese poo poo.
I couldn't get past that far enough to actually play much of the game.