Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Feinne posted:

Although hopefully they're less inherently doomed than Delta Green (who I'm pretty sure canonically got wiped out to a man after trying and failing to kill one of Cthulhu's spawn).

Apparently not. Just ran into a short story where one of their agents lasts to the end of the world, and some stuff hints at evacuation plans when that goes down.

Mind, they're still hosed, but they're no more hosed than every other poor SOB in the setting.

(Of course, that's still a lot worse than the time I named an X-Com base after 'em. Team poo poo four leafed clovers, I swear. Their topkick had front row seats on the skyranger from first contact on, and she still survived Cydonia. A plasma bolt bent around her on a Chryssalid terror mission. At night.)

As for reading, BPRD and the Laundry might also be worth a look. Similar gigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009
Research consideration: Carapace Armor...but not exclusively as a prerequisite for future miniaturization of XCOM armor platforms. Not all combat environments will prove to be playgrounds for the Codename SCORPION xeno-filament grapple being toyed with in the Foundry for future armor development phases. And even in the ones that ARE, not every soldier will be able to make optimal use of high ground (due to alien formations, suppressing fire, etc.). A production run of Carapace Armor, issued indiscriminately to veteran and rookie soldiers, will better ensure squad survival and - more importantly - foster rookie growth from them surviving long enough to notch kills for pay grade evaluation consideration.

Development consideration: Foundry Support. The ongoing effort to subdue live aliens and secure intact units of their armaments proves the critical value of the Arc Thrower. The "Tactical Rigging" project will enable XCOM to ensure that every soldier has an alien capture method, on every sortie, with additional capability to deploy other essential equipment based on squad role or training needs. The Arc Thrower itself stands to be improved as well, with capacitor candidates already being lined up for the Codename POOYAN enhanced-charge Arc Thrower framework - if successful, XCOM field operatives will have a much easier time subduing even incredibly hardened specimens such as the Mutons.

Game Night consideration: In celebration of XCOM taking the "do everything at once" approach with regards to conventional, Gene Mod, and MEC deployment, no non-electronic game seems more fitting for the troops than Munchkin with as many sets as we can secure.

Silver Spooner
Jun 10, 2013

Andy Waltfeld posted:

Game Night consideration: In celebration of XCOM taking the "do everything at once" approach with regards to conventional, Gene Mod, and MEC deployment, no non-electronic game seems more fitting for the troops than Munchkin with as many sets as we can secure.

Seconding this. Munchkin is awesome and the squad will have a great time with it.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

chiasaur11 posted:

As for reading, BPRD and the Laundry might also be worth a look. Similar gigs.

They should check to see if Mo can come along on some of their missions with her violin. They should also start editing the SCP wiki with their findings.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Their topkick had front row seats on the skyranger from first contact on, and she still survived Cydonia. A plasma bolt bent around her on a Chryssalid terror mission. At night.

And here I thought if Metal Gear were to bleed into XCOM, it'd be Speedball's fault. :V

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009

Flesnolk posted:

And here I thought if Metal Gear were to bleed into XCOM, it'd be Speedball's fault. :V

Before making that assumption, I would advise you to crack open DefaultNameList.ini and tell me what you see in the Japanese entries.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Andy Waltfeld posted:

Before making that assumption, I would advise you to crack open DefaultNameList.ini and tell me what you see in the Japanese entries.

XComNameList.ini posted:

m_arrJpMFirstNames=Daichi
m_arrJpMFirstNames=Daisuke
m_arrJpMFirstNames=Hiroki
m_arrJpMFirstNames=Hiroshi
m_arrJpMFirstNames=Kaito
m_arrJpMFirstNames=Katsume
m_arrJpMFirstNames=Kenji
m_arrJpMFirstNames=Kenzo
m_arrJpMFirstNames=Makoto
m_arrJpMFirstNames=Masahiro
m_arrJpMFirstNames=Naoki
m_arrJpMFirstNames=Nobu
m_arrJpMFirstNames=Riku
m_arrJpMFirstNames=Ryo
m_arrJpMFirstNames=Shigeru
m_arrJpMFirstNames=Shin
m_arrJpMFirstNames=Tadashi
m_arrJpMFirstNames=Takumi
m_arrJpMFirstNames=Yoshio
m_arrJpMFirstNames=Yutaka
m_arrJpMFirstNames=Hideo
m_arrJpFFirstNames=Aiko
m_arrJpFFirstNames=Akemi
m_arrJpFFirstNames=Ayaka
m_arrJpFFirstNames=Chiyoko
m_arrJpFFirstNames=Fumiko
m_arrJpFFirstNames=Harumi
m_arrJpFFirstNames=Hitomi
m_arrJpFFirstNames=Kaori
m_arrJpFFirstNames=Kasumi
m_arrJpFFirstNames=Kazuko
m_arrJpFFirstNames=Kazumi
m_arrJpFFirstNames=Kiriko
m_arrJpFFirstNames=Kumiko
m_arrJpFFirstNames=Midori
m_arrJpFFirstNames=Misaki
m_arrJpFFirstNames=Miu
m_arrJpFFirstNames=Natsuki
m_arrJpFFirstNames=Rin
m_arrJpFFirstNames=Sakura
m_arrJpFFirstNames=Yoko
m_arrJpFFirstNames=Yukiko
m_arrJpFFirstNames=Yumi
m_arrJpFFirstNames=Yuzuki
m_arrJpLastNames=Sato
m_arrJpLastNames=Suzuki
m_arrJpLastNames=Takahashi
m_arrJpLastNames=Tanaka
m_arrJpLastNames=Watanabe
m_arrJpLastNames=Ito
m_arrJpLastNames=Yamamoto
m_arrJpLastNames=Nakamura
m_arrJpLastNames=Kobayashi
m_arrJpLastNames=Saito
m_arrJpLastNames=Kato
m_arrJpLastNames=Yoshida
m_arrJpLastNames=Yamada
m_arrJpLastNames=Sasaki
m_arrJpLastNames=Yamaguchi
m_arrJpLastNames=Matsumoto
m_arrJpLastNames=Kimura
m_arrJpLastNames=Hayashi
m_arrJpLastNames=Shimizu
m_arrJpLastNames=Yamazaki
m_arrJpLastNames=Mori
m_arrJpLastNames=Ikeda
m_arrJpLastNames=Hashimoto
m_arrJpLastNames=Yamashita
m_arrJpLastNames=Ishikawa
m_arrJpLastNames=Nakajima
m_arrJpLastNames=Ogawa
m_arrJpLastNames=Fujita
m_arrJpLastNames=Okada
m_arrJpLastNames=Goto
m_arrJpLastNames=Hasegawa
m_arrJpLastNames=Murakami
m_arrJpLastNames=Sakamoto
m_arrJpLastNames=Endo
m_arrJpLastNames=Aoki
m_arrJpLastNames=Fujii
m_arrJpLastNames=Nishimura
m_arrJpLastNames=Fujiwara
m_arrJpLastNames=Okamoto
m_arrJpLastNames=Mutsuda
m_arrJpLastNames=Nakagawa
m_arrJpLastNames=Nakano
m_arrJpLastNames=Kojima
m_arrJpLastNames=Miyamoto

At the bottom of the Male First names is Hideo, and the second to last in the last names is Kojima (Miyamoto being a Nintedo reference possibly). Is this what you were thinking of?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Andy Waltfeld posted:

I have a laptop that would have an aneurysm if I tried to play new XCOM, sorry. :(

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009
That's an incredibly literal way about confirming it, but yeah.

Never assume it has to be Speedball cranking up the Kojima when the game has an outside random chance of doing so itself.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Good news, crew, we have a new recruit, and he apparently has some ideas for Movie Night. Something about 90% of his life being movies.

I am also immensely saddened by the :russo: of Hulk Hogan being a fraud.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 22, 2014

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Wow, Speedball, if you get a recruit with the default name of Hideo Kojima, you MUST keep that name and go as far as you can with it.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
There's enough names in there that it seems about as likely as winning a poker tournament with a 2 and a 7.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Hey, some Poker players are bloody miracle workers when it comes to making the most out of a poor hand. All ya gotta do is bluff REALLY well.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Also, it depends on if the 2 and 7 are on-suit or off-suited.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Yeah, that's probably the worst hand you can get but it's not a shorthand for "impossible," more "unlikely enough it'd take a miracle." Or bluffing, which is stretching the metaphor but still.

(Didn't someone win a WSOP with exactly that hand once?)

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014
Looks like you can also get Shigeru Miyamoto. Unfortunately, they just missed the possibility of getting Hiroshi Yamauchi -- the last name they put in is instead Yamaguchi.

Also, there's the completely unrelated possibility of getting Akemi Saito. Wonder what technologies you could research after an Incubator Autopsy? Externalized Soul Gene Mod?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Vicevirtuoso posted:

Looks like you can also get Shigeru Miyamoto. Unfortunately, they just missed the possibility of getting Hiroshi Yamauchi -- the last name they put in is instead Yamaguchi.

Also, there's the completely unrelated possibility of getting Akemi Saito. Wonder what technologies you could research after an Incubator Autopsy? Externalized Soul Gene Mod?

There need to be more transforming magical girl strategy games, done well those can be pretty fun (such as Jeanne D'Arc).

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Feinne posted:

There need to be more transforming magical girl strategy games, done well those can be pretty fun (such as Jeanne D'Arc).

I'd love more games along these lines, where "when to transform" is a legitimate tactical choice, and not just part of the boss intro cutscene.

On topic: I can't decide if armor or lazers are more important. You'll start finding enemies with bags of HP soon, but also those enemies will be capable of one-shotting un-armored units with a crit, even with their leveled-up health.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Feinne posted:

You can do this in Wasteland 2

HondaCivet posted:

Desert Ranger Madoka Magica

Apologies to the anime-phobic out there.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

deadly_pudding posted:

On topic: I can't decide if armor or lazers are more important. You'll start finding enemies with bags of HP soon, but also those enemies will be capable of one-shotting un-armored units with a crit, even with their leveled-up health.

I'd say it depends on your playstyle, really. If you tend to be pretty cautious, advancing slowly and taking care to activate only one pack of enemies at a time, lasers are probably better, since if you only activate one pack at a time you can more likely kill them on that turn. If you're a bit more aggressive, armor would probably be better, as you're more likely to activate multiple packs at a time and not be able to kill them all before their turn. Both of which might seem a bit counterintuitive at first (i.e. a more cautious player would probably prefer researching armor first, since that seems to be the more cautious, defensive thing to do), but I do think they work well.

Telum fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 22, 2014

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Andy Waltfeld posted:

That's an incredibly literal way about confirming it, but yeah.

Never assume it has to be Speedball cranking up the Kojima when the game has an outside random chance of doing so itself.

"Random". Uh-huh. Right.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Remember, without mods it is kind of difficult for me to finesse someone from a specific country with a specific gender.

Also: Kojima's not a one-trick pony and neither am I.

edit: "XCOM Slash fic?" Oh, man, it's not that bad, is it?

Speedball fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 22, 2014

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Thanks all for the amazing feedback, I'll hold more group votes in the future. For all sorts of things. So far, the strongest arguments are in favor of Satellites Everywhere with Carapace Armor and More Lasers tied, and a side-order of Outsider Shard Research to try to neutralize the alien threat as soon as possible.

Really great movie/game suggestions too, I'll work 'em into the narrative and have my in-universe reviews of 'em.

Trying to work on next update, but I'm suffering from a momentary bout of mega-depression where it seems like absolutely everything I do will amount to nothing. I hope it'll pass, it makes it hard to enjoy writing goofy interactive XCOM fanfiction.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

"Random". Uh-huh. Right.

Duncan McLeod probably isn't a coincidence, but William Gibson and Chris Cunningham might be. Whichever way it goes, Mike Nelson was the best Assault.

For movie night, can't go wrong with Johnny Mnemonic and MST3k :unsmigghh:

Including nicknames, there are also odd corner-cases like Scottie "Scotch" Scott. Or you can rename them. :v:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Speedball posted:

Thanks all for the amazing feedback, I'll hold more group votes in the future. For all sorts of things. So far, the strongest arguments are in favor of Satellites Everywhere with Carapace Armor and More Lasers tied, and a side-order of Outsider Shard Research to try to neutralize the alien threat as soon as possible.

Really great movie/game suggestions too, I'll work 'em into the narrative and have my in-universe reviews of 'em.

Trying to work on next update, but I'm suffering from a momentary bout of mega-depression where it seems like absolutely everything I do will amount to nothing. I hope it'll pass, it makes it hard to enjoy writing goofy interactive XCOM fanfiction.

In the end if you're enjoying doing what you're doing then it at least amounted to that.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Speedball posted:

Remember, without mods it is kind of difficult for me to finesse someone from a specific country with a specific gender.

It's not that bad. Even on a battlfield, love can- :commissar:

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!
Satellites lead to money, money leads to officer training and foundry projects.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Speedball posted:

For that, readers should check the Commander's Guide to X-Com Enemy Within. Since Jade, or his co-commentator, foolishly challenged the thread to write fanfic.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Speedball posted:

Your efforts here have entertained dozens/hundreds of goons, which is more than I can say most days, so take heart!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Speedball posted:

Man, I've been there. Hang onto the idea that it will end, because I guarantee it will and that's how you pull through the dark parts. I find exercise helps, whether from all the blood pumping or just because it gives me something to do other than wallow.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Bruceski posted:

Man, I've been there. Hang onto the idea that it will end, because I guarantee it will and that's how you pull through the dark parts. I find exercise helps, whether from all the blood pumping or just because it gives me something to do other than wallow.

Exercise till tired and hungry, eat a good, big meal, then take a long rest. In that order seems to completely rejuvenate me. It's sort of ironic the most basic things you would take for granted hold the keys to coming out of the worst of it.

Not that it works for everyone, but giving your body what it needs does a lot for one's mental health.

Well besides giving advice I don't have a degree to be handing out, hope it ends sooner than later for you, Speedball.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Already feeling better thanks to a little of all of those things over the course of the day. Probably feel even better tomorrow after a good morning workout, which means by lunch we'll have another update. Heh. And more drama.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

...what was the slashfic comment about?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

xanthan posted:

...what was the slashfic comment about?

Over in the main Games thread someone linked two lines of Watkins expressing concern with Leroy before Leroy got modded.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Speedball posted:

Over in the main Games thread someone linked two lines of Watkins expressing concern with Leroy before Leroy got modded.

Haters gonna hate, right? Link the douche to the Guavamoment LP. This is miles away from Lily Takakumi, pregnant coke-head Mary-Sue exceedingly beautiful huge-breasted tiny asian super scientist with daddy issues.

Why the gently caress did I like that LP again?

Edit: I also forgot that she was situationally bi-sexual and a black-widow. Jesus what a terrible loving character.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 23, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

RickVoid posted:

Why the gently caress did I like that LP again?

It's fine if you avoid reading anything contributed by any of the readers (which is like 50% of the text sometimes). I get the impression that early on, GuavaMoment was trying to be polite in recognizing reader contributions and then the whole thing just spiraled out of control. The actual LPer-supplied dialog and metaplot is decent and even funny sometimes.

Bottom line: you may have talent, but your readers should be assumed to be talentless hacks unless they demonstrate otherwise.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Speedball posted:

Huh. I assumed it was something about femslash since that is something that actually DID come up, given as a joke at the end of one update. Guess I was wrong.

Turns out I got who said what wrong also. Right, I got the part about a gay joke existing right at least. Times like this make me wish for either a better memory or a delete post button.

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 23, 2014

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's fine if you avoid reading anything contributed by any of the readers (which is like 50% of the text sometimes). I get the impression that early on, GuavaMoment was trying to be polite in recognizing reader contributions and then the whole thing just spiraled out of control. The actual LPer-supplied dialog and metaplot is decent and even funny sometimes.

Bottom line: you may have talent, but your readers should be assumed to be talentless hacks unless they demonstrate otherwise.

That explains why I had no idea what RickVoid was talking about. That thread taught me to skim for posts by specific users (and images, some threads generate really good fanart).

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Eh... she becomes pretty integral to the plot after the terrible Tokyo mission, and he makes a lot of referrences to things that were mention in the non-Guava written fan-bits, which has the unfortunant effect of legitimizing them.

I've got nothing against Guava, but, well, someone selected to include those posts when the LP got archived.

My main point is that the back and forth we're getting here is non-terrible and actual character growth.

TLDR; Ignore the haters, shine on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There are same-sex relationships brewing here but I'm kinda trying not to turn this into Torchwood.

There are also a hell of a lot of drugs in XCOM but that doesn't mean we'll turn into Breaking Bad with alien slaughter.

edit: Scratch that, let's hire Skinny Pete and Badger.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 23, 2014

• Locked thread