Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burger time
Apr 17, 2005

played caylus for the first time last night. won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

isn't eldritch horror the one that looks like a weird chinese knockoff of arkham horror

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Effectronica posted:

jesus loving christ

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

isn't eldritch horror the one that looks like a weird chinese knockoff of arkham horror

nnnnot sure which one you're thinking of but eldritch horror's by the same guys and uses a lot of the same sort of design style, it's just flat out a better and more streamlined game at the same time

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

sounds good to me. all i thought from a glance at the front of the box was 'what is this and why does it sound all of a half step away from arkham horror'

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
eclipse is a good game to play

Dec 26, 2012

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

it was an attempt at rebooting arkham horror into something less god-awful and it mostly worked. its definitely better if still not amazing or anything

the idea of someone recommending arkham over it is really hard to fathom because its such a worse game

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Gimnbo posted:

In the Boardgame Deals thread, he's not just a shitposter, he's downright predatory towards neophytes.

I knew who you were talking about before I even saw the quote.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, lol at the idea of a game being better because it has more expansions

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

part of the reason why I sold bsg and gt was because they got expansions

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

part of the reason why I sold bsg and gt was because they got expansions

Tash Kalar?????

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Fantasy Flight Games: We got Expansions!!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

the only good arkham horror is the tohou one

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

i dont mind like, one expansion, any more than that is ludicrous though

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Dominion.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

What is the single best expansion in boardgames

my vote is space alert new frontiers because the rpg character advancement and achievements probably keep my group focused more than anything. Also the dumb cardboard badges helps the blame-assigning metagame during resolution phase

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

I got a chance to explain my new obsession to my girlfriend who's been away for a year. we played castles of burgundy, tash kalar, biblios and hanabi. it was her first time playing a "new" boardgame and she thought all of those owned.

But honestly i don't enjoy hanabi that much...I've only ever played it with 2, is it better with more?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

i appreciate hanabis but i honestly dont like the game very much, because its almost impossible to play right

protip: any group that says they regularly get 23+ games is probably cheating

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Fellis posted:

my vote is space alert new frontiers because the rpg character advancement and achievements probably keep my group focused more than anything. Also the dumb cardboard badges helps the blame-assigning metagame during resolution phase

Haven't played the game meself, but the expansion to Twilight Imperium is said to turn it into one of the best games ever.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Not sure I really get the point of getting rid of boardgames that get expansions. Like, all the BSG expansions are bloated horseshit so you wouldn't buy them anyway, how's that going to retroactively ruin the original game?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Yas posted:

I got a chance to explain my new obsession to my girlfriend who's been away for a year. we played castles of burgundy, tash kalar, biblios and hanabi. it was her first time playing a "new" boardgame and she thought all of those owned.

But honestly i don't enjoy hanabi that much...I've only ever played it with 2, is it better with more?

hanabi with 2 is rear end. other people like hanabi with more but imo the game encourages you to be frustrated in uninteresting ways.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Fellis posted:

Caverns of Soloth for Catacombs is probably my favorite expansion

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Not sure I really get the point of getting rid of boardgames that get expansions. Like, all the BSG expansions are bloated horseshit so you wouldn't buy them anyway, how's that going to retroactively ruin the original game?
the issue with me is that if i want to play a game with an expansion i can go to my local meetup which is an incentive for me to both not buy an expansion and to get rid of the game since im less likely to play the game vanilla

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

burger time posted:

played caylus for the first time last night. won.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Playing ghost stories for the first time on the ipad, man is this game a kick in the dick or what

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

silvergoose posted:

Haven't played the game meself, but the expansion to Twilight Imperium is said to turn it into one of the best games ever.

I'm so loving disappointed in you because how did you not answer this question correctly and say "Advanced Civ." What did you do with the real silvergoose.

Also that graphic above is magical.

inSTAALed posted:

eclipse is a good game to play

Word.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

I'm so loving disappointed in you because how did you not answer this question correctly and say "Advanced Civ." What did you do with the real silvergoose.

Also that graphic above is magical.

Word.

I'm tired?

Also clearly the best expansion is Napoleon's Triumph, the xpac to BaM.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

The combat in eclipse is loving stupid

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

napoleon's triumph is the king of games

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Scyther posted:

i don't disagree but the tech tree and stuff is so fun.

probably why that Progress game was like crack for me. "WHAT?! I JUST PLAY CARDS AND TECH TREE AND THAT IS *THE WHOLE GAME*!? BRILLIANT." wish I knew it was a thing when it was on kickstarter because i would have been all over it.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

Scyther posted:

it is the weakest part

the noncombat parts are excellent though imo

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

speaking of expansions, just bought dominion intrigue, to play with my mom, who likes dominion

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Broken Loose posted:

yes, because you're going to buy expansions in the future and you don't want the expansion cards to be blatantly obvious from teh backs/sides

so prescient...

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

the only good arkham horror is the tohou one

...go on....

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

CuddlyZombie posted:

...go on....

http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Gensokyo_Horror

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
dominion dark ages is the best expansion (it's actually space alert new frontier, but someone already got that)

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

lol who would even play this irl

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

stoutfish posted:

lol who would even play this irl

how about me, human being

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo