Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ugh those fights in the stands are just brutal. Remind me to never take my kids to a football game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This problem all began with Ozzie Smith really, mother fucker would do a backflip before the game even started.

What the gently caress were you celebrating Ozzie? Answer me!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mind_Taker posted:

Ugh those fights in the stands are just brutal. Remind me to never take my kids to a football game.

My favorite is the pro bowl fight that goes on for so long the players are just standing around watching it until a few of them fall onto the field and then security snatches them.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Chichevache posted:

What is the biggest accomplishment of your life and how did you behave afterwards? I'm willing to bet it doesn't even compare to bringing Adrian loving Peterson down for a one yard loss on 2nd and 7, which is totally worth a backflip and breakdancing.

Kind of contradictory points here, I think. If bringing down A"loving"P in the backfield one time is the biggest accomplishment of your life, then you've led a pretty sad life, I think.

I cried when both of my kids were born.

I'm not saying don't celebrate. Score the go-ahead touchdown late in the game when you're fighting for a playoff spot? Sure, celebrate and be happy and high-five your teammates and whatever. It just seems kind of silly to do it at insignificant points in the game.

But nobody's mind is going to be changed by arguing about it on the internet. I'd really rather not spend the next 5 pages going back and forth on this point.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Thomas Davis is dealing with an undisclosed injury, out for week 4.

It's not his ACL.

Looked like a Hamstring pull to me.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Mind_Taker posted:

Fights between drunken morons happen at just about any sporting event, but it seems like the worst ones happen at football games. Jesus, that video.

Kalli posted:

My favorite is the pro bowl fight that goes on for so long the players are just standing around watching it until a few of them fall onto the field and then security snatches them.

I have never heard of this. Is there a link?

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
When athletes bust an ACL or MCL doing something like that, is it because the joint was already under significant strain/damage, or could an otherwise of healthy ligament just snap because horrible luck?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

All these fight videos are always in the upper decks. It's generally a bad idea to take kids under 8-10 anyways, but it's an especially bad idea if you're sitting in the uppers.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Retail Slave posted:

Fights between drunken morons happen at just about any sporting event, but it seems like the worst ones happen at football games. Jesus, that video.

Admittedly my sample size isn't terribly large, but I've never experienced anything like that at a hockey or baseball game. The last NFL game I went to was Washington at TB and there was a group of belligerent drunk fans that almost started throwing punches, and they were constantly cursing and screaming the entire game.

Going to an NFL game is fun if you can drink responsibly because tailgating owns, but it's not a place for children that's for sure.

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
Fights provide an opportunity for physical sport. It is done for the sake of honor and/or to refine skills. This draws a stark comparison, in my eyes, to a perfectly executed parry in Dark Souls, an underdog Jigglypuff v. Fox matchup in Smash Bros. Melee, or even a rocket-fueled dogfight between Soldiers in TF2.

I hope that clears things up.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The NFL Network is going a 4-part Hard Knocks-ish series called "Finding Giants". Trailer...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-originals/0ap3000000392830/Finding-Giants-Trailer

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Mind_Taker posted:

Admittedly my sample size isn't terribly large, but I've never experienced anything like that at a hockey or baseball game. The last NFL game I went to was Washington at TB and there was a group of belligerent drunk fans that almost started throwing punches, and they were constantly cursing and screaming the entire game.

Going to an NFL game is fun if you can drink responsibly because tailgating owns, but it's not a place for children that's for sure.

I've never seen a fight at a stadium in person, but I came close once. I was at Miller Park for a Cubs/Brewers game, and some fan threw his beer up in the air, screamed as loud as he could WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CUBBIES!!! and soaked some guy talking on his iPhone. The iPhone dude said "WHAT THE HELL, FUCKHEAD?" and thankfully security was there to eject the drunk guy before any punches were thrown. The iPhone dude was PISSED.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Funniest non-contact ACL tear was that Grammatica kicker for the Cards who jumped straight up and down and just tore it. Doesn't make sense at all.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Mind_Taker posted:

Just dont sit up high with the proles

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

African AIDS cum posted:

Fights don't happen in luxury boxes. Just sayin.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Retail Slave posted:

Fights don't happen in luxury boxes. Just sayin.

Only watch from the luxury box and a 10 team armed security detail in plainclothes.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Mind_Taker posted:

Yeah, I don't think NFL games are good places for children really. One nice thing at the Clink is that the crazy drunken fans are mostly corralled over in the hawks nest though. Sounders games too where there is a clearly designated area for rowdiness.

Another issue is that the parking lots before/after a game can be pretty sketchy too. There's less security around out there to keep the peace as well.

HappyHelmet fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 22, 2014

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.
Aaron Rodgers should probably stop trying to block https://twitter.com/AaronNagler/status/514114264416919553

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

DupaDupa posted:

Aaron Rodgers should probably stop trying to block https://twitter.com/AaronNagler/status/514114264416919553

Haha, reminds me of Matt Hasselbeck. Dude loved lay down blocks for people, but he was so bad at it. It was especially bad given how fragile he was in his last few years with the Seahawks.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

DupaDupa posted:

Brady had a fantastic* block yesterday on a busted play.

In that he kinda fell down into a dude's midsection.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Noah posted:

When athletes bust an ACL or MCL doing something like that, is it because the joint was already under significant strain/damage, or could an otherwise of healthy ligament just snap because horrible luck?

Also because all these guys have super athletic concentrations of fast twitch muscle fibers, especially in the lower legs, and are juiced up on loads of gear. Ligaments don't grow like muscles.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

African AIDS cum posted:

My old seats in Giants stadium were 4th to last row and there we're fights all the time. Every game. You could just sort of look left and right into the other sections and see some sort of scuffle.

The family (and it was a family) that sat in front of me were hard core tailgate drinkers and the younger ones (early mid 20's) would be rowdy walking in, but the worst was the daughter/sister who would stumble up sloshed and then pick fights with anybody sitting in our section wearing an opposing team hat or jersey. Her favorite move would be to act all flirty (she was decent looking) and take the persons hat and toss it off the upper deck. When the guy whos hat just got tossed would get pissed the meathead brother would come flying *bam*. This happened way more then a few times in the 10 years I sat up there.

Now in Metlife I have lower bowl seats I've never seen a fight in my section, ever. The family that sits in front of me is a mom and a dad with two kids 5-8ish. I've brought my 3 year old to pre-season games without a worry in the world. I'd take him to regular season games without worrying about it too, he just doesn't have the attention span for it yet.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Retail Slave posted:

Kind of contradictory points here, I think. If bringing down A"loving"P in the backfield one time is the biggest accomplishment of your life, then you've led a pretty sad life, I think.

I cried when both of my kids were born.
Yeah but your kids haven't tackled ADP have they

Although usually it's ADP who brings down children

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
The juice just isn't worth the squeeze to wear opposing team gear at another stadium. Of course the true head scratcher is the people who wear the inexplicable third team jersey.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

I've literally never seen a fight at either AT&T Stadium or the old Texas Stadium and I've been to a ton of games at both. Plenty of little kids attend games as well.

Folks in Texas are pretty laid back. :shrug:

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
E: Just saw the, "I don't want to derail the thread."

My apologies.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Rasczak posted:

I've literally never seen a fight at either AT&T Stadium or the old Texas Stadium and I've been to a ton of games at both. Plenty of little kids attend games as well.

Folks in Texas are pretty laid back. :shrug:

DURRRR edit

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Quest For Glory II posted:

One could argue the opposite in this case.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

davecrazy posted:

Now in Metlife I have lower bowl seats I've never seen a fight in my section, ever. The family that sits in front of me is a mom and a dad with two kids 5-8ish. I've brought my 3 year old to pre-season games without a worry in the world. I'd take him to regular season games without worrying about it too, he just doesn't have the attention span for it yet.
I sit in 135 now and 128 before MetLife opened and I've never seen a fight in my section. Plenty of drunks though with the rare puking. My issue with young kids is that you don't want to be the guy asking people to sit down because your kid can't see on 3rd down. This happened once with a little girl who was standing on her seat and the poor dad kept having to ask the row in front to stay seated. He knew it was an unreasonable request but what else is he going to do?

I have a father and 3 boys in the low teens sitting behind me and they're cool. They're also good for their autistic levels of bottom roster uniform numbers knowledge.

Parlett316 posted:

Of course the true head scratcher is the people who wear the inexplicable third team jersey.
I don't understand these at all. I want to sit next to one at some point just so I can pelt them with questions all game.

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 22, 2014

Blarfk
Dec 26, 2003

I might just be lucky or something because I've worn a Steelers jersey to a few Ravens games and a bunch of Eagles games, sitting in seats about as high up as you can get, and have only ever just gotten good-natured ribbing. And I'm pretty much a normal drunk dude in my 20's without any kids or anything so if someone wanted to start something they couldn't pick much easier of a target, but it's only ever been just friendly smack-talk.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Parlett316 posted:

The juice just isn't worth the squeeze to wear opposing team gear at another stadium. Of course the true head scratcher is the people who wear the inexplicable third team jersey.

I was at the Thursday night game and was wearing a Bucs shirt. There were plenty of other Bucs fans around wearing jerseys and other stuff, and nobody seemed to be having any issues. There were a couple younger kids in front of me that were giving me a little poo poo but it wasn't annoying by any means.

Maybe the solution is just as easy as not being an rear end in a top hat.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

MindlessHavok posted:

I was at the Thursday night game and was wearing a Bucs shirt. There were plenty of other Bucs fans around wearing jerseys and other stuff, and nobody seemed to be having any issues. There were a couple younger kids in front of me that were giving me a little poo poo but it wasn't annoying by any means.

Maybe the solution is just as easy as not being an rear end in a top hat.

Or have the fortune to not have to sit near a bunch of belligerent assholes.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Don't attack people at football games. Unless they're Eagles fans because they'll attack you regardless.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Blarfk posted:

I might just be lucky or something because I've worn a Steelers jersey to a few Ravens games and a bunch of Eagles games, sitting in seats about as high up as you can get, and have only ever just gotten good-natured ribbing. And I'm pretty much a normal drunk dude in my 20's without any kids or anything so if someone wanted to start something they couldn't pick much easier of a target, but it's only ever been just friendly smack-talk.

I think people who end up in fights a lot generally have a different air about them. If your being stand-off-ish about your team a-holes are going to target you. If your being a good sport about things people will generally treat you the same.

Parlett316 posted:

This too.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Quest For Glory II posted:

Yeah but your kids haven't tackled ADP have they

:laffo:

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

Retail Slave posted:

One could argue the opposite in this case.

The lord giveth, the lord taketh away.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

The best part about that fight video is the dude in the white who just wants to walk through casually with his beer. Never mind there were tons or punches thrown just 20 seconds earlier, "Excuse me bros, I gotta get through."

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nick Foles is on pace for 5,216 yds and 32 TD 10 INT :eyepop:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Parlett316 posted:

Yeah, I wasn't talking about me, I was talking about the other people. The kids were giving me a hard time but they weren't being assholes about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

waah posted:

The best part about that fight video is the dude in the white who just wants to walk through casually with his beer. Never mind there were tons or punches thrown just 20 seconds earlier, "Excuse me bros, I gotta get through."

Hey man, when you gotta go you gotta go

Parlett316 posted:

DURRRR edit

:confused:

• Locked thread