Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Its Taylor Ham you plebs. :byodood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

made of bees
May 21, 2013

Kansas, Nebraska, close enough right?

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Disco Infiva posted:

Is there something other than corn in Iowa?

Pork. Other farm stuff.

Iowa doesn't have an official state food and that map is associated with a list of recipes, so they probably picked sweet corn because they needed a vegetable and couldn't think of anything else for Iowa. I don't know why they indicated it as grilled, though, because traditionally it's boiled and covered with butter and salt. It's also kind of hard to explain how good it is because in most of the country it's been frozen and shipped a thousand miles, whereas during the season you buy it directly from farmers so it's as fresh as possible. It makes a huge difference in how it tastes.

If Iowa had an official food in the context of something iconic that was actually invented in the state it would probably be the "walking taco" which is a repulsive Iowa State Fair food that consists of one of those small doritos bags crushed up and then filled with ground beef, lettuce, and shredded cheese. Like a taco, see, except you eat it with a plastic spoon while you're walking around the fair!

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

EvanSchenck posted:

If Iowa had an official food in the context of something iconic that was actually invented in the state it would probably be the "walking taco" which is a repulsive Iowa State Fair food that consists of one of those small doritos bags crushed up and then filled with ground beef, lettuce, and shredded cheese. Like a taco, see, except you eat it with a plastic spoon while you're walking around the fair!

Ugh. The walking taco truly hurts my Mexican wife's soul. It's at every drat sporting event here and it makes no sense. Especially since tacos worked perfectly fine for walking without adding a bag of Doritos and a utensil to the mix.

Though if we're going to be picking something from the fair, I feel it should involve fried. How about fried butter?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

EvanSchenck posted:

Pork. Other farm stuff.

Iowa doesn't have an official state food and that map is associated with a list of recipes, so they probably picked sweet corn because they needed a vegetable and couldn't think of anything else for Iowa. I don't know why they indicated it as grilled, though, because traditionally it's boiled and covered with butter and salt. It's also kind of hard to explain how good it is because in most of the country it's been frozen and shipped a thousand miles, whereas during the season you buy it directly from farmers so it's as fresh as possible. It makes a huge difference in how it tastes.

Man I see Walking Tacos in Indiana at fairs and such and it always looks so gross. Of course around here people still eat Brain Sandwiches so I guess they're just gross people all around.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Internet Penetration in S/E Asia:

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Frostwerks posted:

What is the second biggest cities on the shores of the GoSL? Cuz I thought Montreal was second largest city?

That map doesn't even shade Montréal, but it also shows Québec city and the entire province as unpopulated, which is pretty stupid since the whole southern part is densely-peopled by canadian standards. There's a huge red blob in the prairies but nothing in Québec.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Are the high levels of penetration in the western provinces a function of low population or greater need to connect to costal urban China?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rumda posted:

Are the high levels of penetration in the western provinces a function of low population or greater need to connect to costal urban China?

For (eg) Qinghai vs Tibet geography would obviously play a factor in why one is higher and one is lower. I think for coastal China it's just that that's where the money is and the population density is.

Those three darkish green provinces (Guandong, Fujian, and Zhejiang) in the 2012 one have 200 million people and ~500/sq km (which is roughly the density of South Korea).

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Fujian isn't terribly heavily populated (..in China terms), the provinces down the Yangtze I thought have considerably more?

It's just that nobody cares about inland hicks.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

The pizza may be correct for Connecticut but white clam definitely isn't the most popular around New Haven, it's just unique and relatively popular. Most people are going for more stereotypical toppings though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Koramei posted:

Fujian isn't terribly heavily populated (..in China terms), the provinces down the Yangtze I thought have considerably more?

It's just that nobody cares about inland hicks.

Yeah, I mean more that it's between two densely populated (and rich) areas and Xiamen is still fairly wealthy so there's large incentive to build up infrastructure there.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Here's another state food map (you have to check the article for the actual labels).

http://deadspin.com/the-great-american-menu-foods-of-the-states-ranked-an-1349137024

There some clear factual errors in it though, such as "listing deep dish pizza as #1 when it's just a cludgy tomato casserole"

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Golbez posted:

Ugh. The walking taco truly hurts my Mexican wife's soul. It's at every drat sporting event here and it makes no sense. Especially since tacos worked perfectly fine for walking without adding a bag of Doritos and a utensil to the mix.

Though if we're going to be picking something from the fair, I feel it should involve fried. How about fried butter?

People from the midwest also can't understand the concept of a taco without cheese.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

EvanSchenck posted:

Pork. Other farm stuff.

Wow, what is wrong with Iowa :stare:

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Irradiation posted:

People from the midwest also can't understand the concept of a taco without cheese.

We have a hard time understanding any food item without cheese.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Soviet Commubot posted:

We have a hard time understanding any food item without cheese.

This is true.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

Tree Goat posted:

Here's another state food map (you have to check the article for the actual labels).

http://deadspin.com/the-great-american-menu-foods-of-the-states-ranked-an-1349137024

There some clear factual errors in it though, such as "listing deep dish pizza as #1 when it's just a cludgy tomato casserole"

Everyone sees Washington and goes "Seafood!" and very few people here give a poo poo about seafood. We do however produce most of the U.S.'s watermelons and a good number of the apples for markets west of the Rockies. But noooo, fish, poo poo, even just going by the area west of the Cascade Range, our local dish should be Teriyaki or Pho or something we actually eat regularly.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
I do like that neither map could think of an actual food for Nevada, though the second one was a bit more honest about it.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.
Arkansas fried catfish?! Arkansas.

This agression will not stand, man...

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

DarkCrawler posted:

Wow, what is wrong with Iowa :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV7ZcVFSWWU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Benagain posted:

Seriously the fact that everyone else in America thinks that deep dish pizza is what Chicago prides itself on continues to irritate me.

Hot dogs, guys. We care about hot dogs. They're awesome.

NO.
KETCHUP.
ALLOWED.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

ctishman posted:

Everyone sees Washington and goes "Seafood!" and very few people here give a poo poo about seafood. We do however produce most of the U.S.'s watermelons and a good number of the apples for markets west of the Rockies. But noooo, fish, poo poo, even just going by the area west of the Cascade Range, our local dish should be Teriyaki or Pho or something we actually eat regularly.

To be fair, Washington is one of the few places (maybe the only place? idk) in the country you can eat salmon and have it be good more often than not. My bad relatives from further east always refuse to even try grilled salmon when they visit here, because the food they know as "salmon" is this disgusting stuff that's been dead and frozen for way too long then cooked like a steak or something. If you eat it fresh and don't overcook it (don't overcook it) salmon is amazing. Actually, I guess this just makes me one of the few people who give a poo poo about seafood that you were referring to. Never mind, carry on.

I don't think we're allowed to claim Teriyaki or Pho as Washingtonian culture, unfortunately.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 22, 2014

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

NO.
KETCHUP.
ALLOWED.

It's really funny that people care about hot dogs anywhere in the world. I've been to a chicago several times and had chicago hotdogs. They put a lot of poo poo on them to try and make you forget you're eating a hotdog but in the end you're still eating a loving hotdog. It's a tube of anonymous meat. Put whatever you want on it, it'll still be lips and rectums either way.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Modern Day Hercules posted:

It's really funny that people care about hot dogs anywhere in the world. I've been to a chicago several times and had chicago hotdogs. They put a lot of poo poo on them to try and make you forget you're eating a hotdog but in the end you're still eating a loving hotdog. It's a tube of anonymous meat. Put whatever you want on it, it'll still be lips and rectums either way.

Speaking of the aformentioned poo poo, I have no idea where to find poppy seed hot dog buns. I've tried like three different area grocery stores. Maybe I need to set foot in an honest-to-god bakery for the first time in my life.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Modern Day Hercules posted:

Never go to germany with this kind of attitude.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Yeah but he's right american hot dogs traditionally use the worst of possible sausage

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Peanut President posted:

You are actually the person who shouldn't go to Germany if you think that what they eat over there is the same thing as a goddamn hotdog.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I miss my Curry 36. And U-Mehringdamm in general.

Also I don't think I've had any salmon besides on nigiri.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Peanut President posted:

Germans would never call a Bratwurst in a bun a Hotdog. Hotdogs are the American kind (but they seem to be associated with Denmark and IKEA, not the USA). I'm not entirely sure what exactly differentiates them, but apparently it's baffling that someone would compare a sausage in a bun with another sausage in a bun.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I miss my Curry 36.

If I could marry an inanimate object...

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

If I could marry an inanimate object...

...you'd marry your dick.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ditocoaf posted:

To be fair, Washington is one of the few places (maybe the only place? idk) in the country you can eat salmon and have it be good more often than not. My bad relatives from further east always refuse to even try grilled salmon when they visit here, because the food they know as "salmon" is this disgusting stuff that's been dead and frozen for way too long then cooked like a steak or something. If you eat it fresh and don't overcook it (don't overcook it) salmon is amazing. Actually, I guess this just makes me one of the few people who give a poo poo about seafood that you were referring to. Never mind, carry on.

I don't think we're allowed to claim Teriyaki or Pho as Washingtonian culture, unfortunately.

I just bought salmon in Texas two days ago and I cooked it fine. Maybe it's more that people in the Midwest don't know how to cook fish.

BuckT.Trend
Apr 22, 2003

My god, it's full of stars!

made of bees posted:

Kansas, Nebraska, close enough right?

Not only that, but what the hell is a "handheld meat pie"?

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

BuckT.Trend posted:

Not only that, but what the hell is a "handheld meat pie"?

There's a food cart in Portland that sells single serving fried pie pockets in fruit and meat varieties. They're good drunk food, and it's right next to a poutine cart.

http://i.imgur.com/mMryxdB.jpg

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 23, 2014

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Chicken Fried Steak is bigger in Texas than brisket tbh

That's a damned lie.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think that they need to make those maps by actually asking people from that state what their food is. All these ridiculous maps seem to be just one guy thinking "what do I know about this state that I've never been to?"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Arglebargle III posted:

I think that they need to make those maps by actually asking people from that state what their food is. All these ridiculous maps seem to be just one guy thinking "what do I know about this state that I've never been to?"
I agree because I've lived in Delaware 10 years and I've never even heard of "vinegar french fries". What the hell? The only food Delaware has a claim to is scrapple, a product that makes hot dogs look pure and clean.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
I thought scrapple was more of a westsylvania thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I grew up in PA, and always thought it was a PA thing, but they have a drat festival for it here.