Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I feel like there's a huge unresolved plot thread here. What happened to giant hand man?

The family died in a tragic high five incident. :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

dijon du jour posted:

The family died in a tragic high five incident. :rip:

Here's the full ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d917437jd4

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It was an LGBT thing?! :psyduck:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
These people have huge loving hands and it's a curse their entire lives, but it's okay because they're gay for each other! Allstate is kinda like that! Get insured by us, we're cool with gay people unlike all those not-cool-with-gay-people insurance companies! :downs:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

I can't tell if it'd be more surreal if that were a deliberate reference to yaoi hands or a freak coincidence.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CJacobs posted:

These people have huge loving hands and it's a curse their entire lives, but it's okay because they're gay for each other! Allstate is kinda like that! Get insured by us, we're cool with gay people unlike all those not-cool-with-gay-people insurance companies! :downs:

Geico has just been mispronounced all these years...

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Waffleman_ posted:

It was an LGBT thing?! :psyduck:

Well you know what they say about men with big hands... :smug:

They buy Allstate insurance is what they say. :eng101:

CJacobs posted:

100% accurate. Gotta' love advertising that capitalizes on people's insecurity and LGBT issues in order to sell car insurance.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I'm glad I've checked out of most advertisements these days. It makes running into them such a surreal experience each time in the "How in the world does this imply your company makes a good product/service?" sort of way.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbeLVPygkBc

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
The new game changer: cynicism.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

i am monotone, hear my sigh

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

*Skips to random point in video*

:geno:: "I wanna take it home and make it hold my dick"

It's so different. I love it.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
critical has recently become one of my favorite lpers

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Found a cr1Tikal vs. pewdiepie video in which their Outlast playthroughs are contrasted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-caMDLmkW9A I thought it was particularly funny, given how :what: critikal's reactions are compared to pewdiepie's usual over-the-top nonsense. I also appreciated that his final response to Five Nights At Freddy's was "well that was extremely predictable".

On an unrelated note, gmcfosho is an incredible LPer and his QWOP runs are unparalleled: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujXhhSpC6pE

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Roar posted:

critical has recently become one of my favorite lpers

Yeah I'm becoming a fan of him too, even with the scare cam. Though in his previous Neverending Nightmares video there was one super annoying part where he's going on about "whoa there's a bloody knife in the wall!" but you can't see it because his scare cam is smack dab on top of it. :sigh:

I recommend everyone here watch the Creepypasta Land videos because that game is solid gold. Also his videos of terrible Jeff the Killer RPG maker games.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

dijon du jour posted:

Yeah I'm becoming a fan of him too, even with the scare cam. Though in his previous Neverending Nightmares video there was one super annoying part where he's going on about "whoa there's a bloody knife in the wall!" but you can't see it because his scare cam is smack dab on top of it. :sigh:

I recommend everyone here watch the Creepypasta Land videos because that game is solid gold. Also his videos of terrible Jeff the Killer RPG maker games.

Huh, he does scarecams?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Rodyle posted:

Why is it that facecams are bad but fully body cameras, especially as used in streams etc, are fine?

Who is doing full-body cams and who the hell is saying they are fine? That sounds loving horrible.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
I'm doing a full body cam once my abs are a little better defined. That's "fine" to me.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

chitoryu12 posted:

Huh, he does scarecams?

Hah, whoops, I had never heard of cr1Tikal before so I thought Roar was just randomly repping Harshly Critical. :v:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I dunno, I think I'd enjoy a cr1Tikal scarecam just to see how deadpan he stares at the camera.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
For those older SA LP folks, Proton Jon is on Co-Optional Podcast today: http://www.twitch.tv/totalbiscuit

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Speaking of Proton Jon, his podcast is really amazing. http://topdownperspective.podbean.com/

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So THAT'S what he's doing instead of making Superman 64 videos!

I do kind of miss that LP, his videos are probalby the only ones that were

1. High Quality
2. Actually talked about the game, instead of just going "OH MY GOD THIS IS SO TERRIBLE" like everybody else
3.Actually played past the first level

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

To be fair I don't think many people even beat the first level of that game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So THAT'S what he's doing instead of making Superman 64 videos!

I do kind of miss that LP, his videos are probalby the only ones that were

1. High Quality
2. Actually talked about the game, instead of just going "OH MY GOD THIS IS SO TERRIBLE" like everybody else
3.Actually played past the first level

Netflix has a contract with Warner Brothers that will expire in 2020. This will allow Harry Potter movies to be streamed on Netflix. I'm judging ProtonJon's Superman 64 videos versus that. Which one will happen first; I have no idea.

Fatbot
Oct 17, 2012
An idea popped into my head yesterday:

Alyssa will go beyond time and space to find Michael.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I can ALMOST understand why literally every streamer uses facecams. So many people on at the same time, so many options available to the viewer at one time, you want to do something to differentiate yourself from the hundreds of other people simultaneously streaming by creating some kind of "brand." And what better way to brand your content than to put your face on it? Fine, I get it, I guess.

But can someone tell me why every one of these shitheads plays dubstep during their streams?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Gotta problem with dubstep? :colbert:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
They are also popular on streams because facecams are actually really cool and good.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jamesman posted:

But can someone tell me why every one of these shitheads plays dubstep during their streams?

Because it's got a good beat and pumps you up for gaming? Also, very little lyrics compared to other genres means it doesn't conflict with streamer.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Jamesman posted:

I can ALMOST understand why literally every streamer uses facecams. So many people on at the same time, so many options available to the viewer at one time, you want to do something to differentiate yourself from the hundreds of other people simultaneously streaming by creating some kind of "brand." And what better way to brand your content than to put your face on it? Fine, I get it, I guess.

This will explain everything!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHABiMoKM7M

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Suspicious Dish posted:

They are also popular on streams because facecams are actually really cool and good.

I've never understood why SA hate facecams, they allow the viewer to remember the steamer much faster as well as making chat interaction more natural.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

TheModernAmerican posted:

I've never understood why SA hate facecams, they allow the viewer to remember the steamer much faster as well as making chat interaction more natural.

Streams are usually more suitable for them but they are just distracting in LPs. They also cause people to ham up really bad reactions.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

For an LP, facecams are poo poo. For a general stream, I guess it's neat to have? I just don't care what the player looks like and, used poorly, it just becomes distracting and unnecessary.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Because they're distracting. Audio doesn't take away from the game, a giant-rear end face in one corner (usually covering up part of the game) does.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
They're pretty dumb no matter what. I really would rather not know what lpers/streamers look like in real life nor do I need to watch them stare blankly at a screen while I watch them. It's like a really weird mirror.

Also holy poo poo this spaghetti song is :krad:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Another problem with facecams is where the gently caress do you put it if your game's HUD has something in the bottom left or bottom right corner? If you put it in its own space off to the side of the game window it'll shrink the game window and obviously a lot of streamers don't care about that, but people wanting to watch you play the game and not a nearest-neighbor-resized Home Edition version of the game do. If you put the facecam within the game window it covers up part of the game and that's dumb for obvious reasons.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

"Remember the streamer"? I don't get that, if you forgot who someone was after watching them I doubt it had much to do with being able to see their face or not.

Facecams even in streams still kinda suck, I watch a lot of League of Legends streams and there is no good place to put one that doesn't result in covering up some portion of the game I'd rather be seeing or shrinking the game into poor visibility and yet people still opt to do this in the face of the easier and better option of just not. That's why I hate facecams at any rate, I don't give a poo poo what you look like I care far more about the clusterfuck of incomprehensible MOBA gibberish going on behind your head.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Because it's got a good beat and pumps you up for gaming? Also, very little lyrics compared to other genres means it doesn't conflict with streamer.

Also because dub step is popular and good music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Roar posted:

I really would rather not know what lpers/streamers look like in real life

Most LPers lack Markiplier's abs.

• Locked thread