Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I adore everything Ti West has done and think he's one of the better horror directors working today but I'm really hesitant to watch The Sacrament. I already know what happened in Jonestown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
So wait, the cult in The Sacrament is a christian one? That seems like a really odd detail to change if you're gonna copy the event so lazily.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

NESguerilla posted:

What was that movie even trying to accomplish? It didn't even reimagine Jonestown or anything it just seemed like a really sloppy retelling of the incident repackaged as a fictional horror movie which didn't even feel like a horror movie.

I was hoping that at the last moment, either the copilot would kill the guys or the whole helicopter would get shot down by a cultist that they didn't see during their escape.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I said way too much about this movie but somehow "watered down" sums it up better than I could've imagined.

There's a really horrible kool-aid joke in here somewhere.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
I wonder if the CEO of the company that makes Flavor Aid is happy or sad that everyone falsely associates a competitor's product with a specific mass suicide, crazy business ideas, and cults of personality in general.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

moller posted:

I wonder if the CEO of the company that makes Flavor Aid is happy or sad that everyone falsely associates a competitor's product with a specific mass suicide, crazy business ideas, and cults of personality in general.
leaked insider video from Kool-Aid HQ:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRslUw5z1Nw

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Wow, Netflix estimates one star for Dark Secrets. I don't think I've ever seen a prediction that low. I wonder which rating it decided to base that off of... Didn't you guys say the new rating algorithm gave everything 4+ stars? :)

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Yaws posted:

I adore everything Ti West has done and think he's one of the better horror directors working today but I'm really hesitant to watch The Sacrament. I already know what happened in Jonestown.

I'm a big fan of both House of the Devil and The Innkeepers but absolutely nothing about The Sacrament looks interesting or worthwhile to me. I just can't work up the enthusiasm to watch it.

You're not alone, I guess!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

david_a posted:

Wow, Netflix estimates one star for Dark Secrets. I don't think I've ever seen a prediction that low. I wonder which rating it decided to base that off of... Didn't you guys say the new rating algorithm gave everything 4+ stars? :)

It has a lot of bad reviews because netflix filed as a true-crime show when it's actually a parody of a true-crime show. I don't know if that informs the star ratings, though, which I thought were personalized based on the ratings we give to stuff.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

Penny Dreadful is on Netflix France, for anyone with the Hola extension. Based on the pilot, it's pretty cool.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GreyPowerVan posted:

You're actually wrong so there's that.

If you can manage to read The Long Walk and just think "ehhh this guy isn't good" I feel bad for you.
I personally can manage to think "oh the stuff that came out in this era continually went downhill" while not being completely flummoxed by the rebuttal of "well the stuff the author did earlier, under a pseudonym, was good so you're wrong."

I mean please elaborate on why something written in 1979 debunks the position that the stuff written in the 90s is garbage and mostly gets worse rather than better, it sounds as though you are much more well-read on the author than I am.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

MacGowans Teeth posted:

Penny Dreadful is on Netflix France, for anyone with the Hola extension. Based on the pilot, it's pretty cool.

Penny Dreadful is great.

I say it's what True Blood should've been — actually scary, sexy, a cool setting and way better acted than you'd expect. Eva Green especially.

Some of the B plots don't hold up (especially the Frankenstein monster ones) but for one season of TV you could do WAY worse.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Jack Gladney posted:

It has a lot of bad reviews because netflix filed as a true-crime show when it's actually a parody of a true-crime show. I don't know if that informs the star ratings, though, which I thought were personalized based on the ratings we give to stuff.

1 star is pretty accurate. Its corny but its also terribly paced and shot for 3D tvs(wtf?)

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I just watched an episode of Dark Secrets (the skeleton one) and it was kind of neat, but it just made me want to watch Unsolved Mysteries instead because things like that are so much more compelling when they're based on real events. They really nailed the feel of those ID/History channel shows though, except the part where the narrator talks in first person like he was the guy doing all the investigating.

Netflix had it as 1.1 stars for me.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

coyo7e posted:

I personally can manage to think "oh the stuff that came out in this era continually went downhill" while not being completely flummoxed by the rebuttal of "well the stuff the author did earlier, under a pseudonym, was good so you're wrong."

I mean please elaborate on why something written in 1979 debunks the position that the stuff written in the 90s is garbage and mostly gets worse rather than better, it sounds as though you are much more well-read on the author than I am.

This is the netflix thread so I won't post about it anymore, but you just blanket said he was a bad author and he's written enough good books to not be called a bad author. If you had said most of his stuff since the 90's was bad I would have agreed.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Sacrament is a mess.
A found footage mess. I'm a fan of the genre but this shits the bed.
First off if you are making a found footage film the footage needs to stay "found" that means establish where it's from and why it's presented, otherwise the impact of pseudo realism is just weak. If you jump back and forth on the same timeline of events with found and cinematic footage it just spreads like a mess.

So the film starts to fall off the wheels a bit when it establishes the three cameras but then just starts filling in the scenes with poor impact with a nondiagetic soundtrack of pitched violins and drums. Then it just ditches the cameras as part of the scene and the point of view and jumps to them whenever something shocking is going to be seen.

But that brings me to the other big issue with this movie it's lack of menace. "Father" is a stand in for Jones but if you don't know who he's aping it's just missing his evil side. So in its 11th hour it just ditches any attempts and gives second hand reasons as to why this community is bad and turns the who movie into a haunted house, in case the suicides via kook aid didn't make the point of his control and his people devotion/fear it tosses in some wickedcool scenes of a sister killing her bro and a mom slitting her kids throat and they totally showed the whole thing, whoa dude

I'll at least say this about ti west I'll still take him over any Saw or Saw rip off but time will tell.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I don't know if this is really an appropriate place for netflix tech support type stuff, but I couldn't seem to find My List anymore. I am not traveling or anything like that. It only let me view my list again after I added a random movie onto it. Does anyone know what would cause that? Fixable so not the biggest issue, weird though.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

LibbyM posted:

I don't know if this is really an appropriate place for netflix tech support type stuff, but I couldn't seem to find My List anymore. I am not traveling or anything like that. It only let me view my list again after I added a random movie onto it. Does anyone know what would cause that? Fixable so not the biggest issue, weird though.

Only time I have seen it missing is when I try a device other then a PC or my wiiu some devices such as smart tv scan relly poo poo up the interface and make it missing. Otherwise it's secret maintenance sent NF a tweet about it.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

LibbyM posted:

Same, I have to mouse over Browse to get the option.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Junkie Disease posted:

Sacrament is a mess.
A found footage mess. I'm a fan of the genre but this shits the bed.
First off if you are making a found footage film the footage needs to stay "found" that means establish where it's from and why it's presented, otherwise the impact of pseudo realism is just weak. If you jump back and forth on the same timeline of events with found and cinematic footage it just spreads like a mess.

Don't really understand what you're on about. The footage is pretty clearly presented by the guys who escaped with it and are also video journalists. And besides the soundtrack I'm almost sure the footage is all "found". Maybe you didn't notice Caroline had control of the camera for a while?

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
The Sacrament was pretty bad overall, but I thought whoever played Father did a decent job. The highlight of the movie for me was the part where the Vice journalist interviews him during the "celebration."

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I just finally started using Hola unblocker to facilitate watching NFL games, so far so good.

Can someone review what the procedure is for using this with Netflix? My preferred Netflix watching method is to use the iPad app and then cast it to my Chromecast. Hola now has an iPad app that seems to work.

Is it as simple as setting the VPN to whatever country's Netflix offerings I want to watch, then firing up the Netflix app and I will now see those options available?

Also, is there any realistic risk that this violates TOS and can get you banned by Netflix, or is it not covered under TOS and/or Netflix doesn't give a poo poo?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
This has been on Netflix forever, but I finally got around to watching The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but the revelation that Harriet had been psychologically torturing her uncle by accident for over 40 years was absolutely hilarious and I feel like they glossed over it a bit too much.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Zwabu posted:

I just finally started using Hola unblocker to facilitate watching NFL games, so far so good.

Can someone review what the procedure is for using this with Netflix? My preferred Netflix watching method is to use the iPad app and then cast it to my Chromecast. Hola now has an iPad app that seems to work.

Is it as simple as setting the VPN to whatever country's Netflix offerings I want to watch, then firing up the Netflix app and I will now see those options available?

Also, is there any realistic risk that this violates TOS and can get you banned by Netflix, or is it not covered under TOS and/or Netflix doesn't give a poo poo?

It totally violates it but Netflix openly does not give a poo poo.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

JohnSherman posted:

This has been on Netflix forever, but I finally got around to watching The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but the revelation that Harriet had been psychologically torturing her uncle by accident for over 40 years was absolutely hilarious and I feel like they glossed over it a bit too much.

Don't watch the other two than, they go off the rails hard. I still like original one though, not the American remake.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

It totally violates it but Netflix openly does not give a poo poo.

Hmm. I tried logging out of Netflix, switching to France, (this is on my desktop PC and Chrome), going to the Netflix page and logging in with my usual account, and I get this message:

Watching Instantly Is Not Currently Available For Your Account

Unfortunately your account is restricted to streaming only within the 50 United States and its territories.
You may still access your account, but you will not be able to play any title.

So they are onto me!

1-Up
Aug 8, 2007

Zwabu posted:

(...) My preferred Netflix watching method is to use the iPad app and then cast it to my Chromecast. Hola now has an iPad app that seems to work.(...)
Chromecast uses its own dns and doesn't care if you use a VPN. I tried using Hola + Netflix (android) app to my chromecast but all I get is a error when using using a "foreign" Netflix selection.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Zwabu posted:

When you first do it you get a message saying "hey you're in a different country so you're going to notice a change in the library", so they at least expect people to use their accounts in other countries. Obviously they could look at the logs and notice you being in several different countries in a matter of minutes, but they don't care and have no incentive to stop you.

edit:

Zwabu posted:

Hmm. I tried logging out of Netflix, switching to France, (this is on my desktop PC and Chrome), going to the Netflix page and logging in with my usual account, and I get this message:

Or that could happen, I guess? I've never seen that message, but it's been a while since I tried fiddling with Hola or VPN stuff.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Khorne Flakes posted:

Don't watch the other two than, they go off the rails hard. I still like original one though, not the American remake.

Yeah, I thought the final scene of dialogue between the reporter and the villain was much more powerful in the Swedish version, somehow they altered the dialogue a bit so that something was lacking and it had much less impact.

I'm referring to the dialogue where the villain talks about his motivations, the pleasure he derived from the crimes, and the pleasure he got from manipulating his victims' pitiful flickering hopes that they will survive, by doing things such as the business with giving the reporter a glass of water. Some of that dialogue was preserved in the American version but it was definitely missing some punch compared to the original.

There were some things that I thought were done better in the American version too, I think primarily related to production values and such. Both were worth seeing but I did prefer the Swedish one, especially the ending.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
The Mads Mikkelson movie The Hunt was excellent. If you don't already have it on your list, he's a kindergarten teacher in a small Danish town who is falsely accused of molestation. It reminds me very strongly of seeing foreign films when I was younger — not much may *happen*, but the acting is so compelling that each scene comes across as completely necessary at deepening the characters.

If you're frustrated at first by (minor spoiler about characterization) why Mads isn't shouting his innocence from the rooftops it becomes clear thematically towards the end why he'd act this way. And it makes the events all the more horrible. Great film.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

Cocoa Ninja posted:

The Mads Mikkelson movie The Hunt was excellent. If you don't already have it on your list, he's a kindergarten teacher in a small Danish town who is falsely accused of molestation. It reminds me very strongly of seeing foreign films when I was younger — not much may *happen*, but the acting is so compelling that each scene comes across as completely necessary at deepening the characters.

If you're frustrated at first by (minor spoiler about characterization) why Mads isn't shouting his innocence from the rooftops it becomes clear thematically towards the end why he'd act this way. And it makes the events all the more horrible. Great film.

The Hunt is fantastic. Another Mads Mikkelsoen film on Netflix that's worth checking out is Flame and Citron. It's about Danish resistance fighters during WWII.

Kelfeftaf fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 23, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Flame and Citron rules. I think I'll check out The Hunt, then.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Zwabu posted:

Watching Instantly Is Not Currently Available For Your Account

Unfortunately your account is restricted to streaming only within the 50 United States and its territories.
You may still access your account, but you will not be able to play any title.

So they are onto me!

Is there any chance you have (or had) a DVD plan? Apparently that can cause issues with streaming from the overseas catalogs.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

JohnSherman posted:

Is there any chance you have (or had) a DVD plan? Apparently that can cause issues with streaming from the overseas catalogs.

Ahh, that's right, I do have one.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Yeah it straight up won't work if you have a dvd plan, oddly.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Kelfeftaf posted:

The Hunt is fantastic. Another Mads Mikkelsoen film on Netflix that's worth checking out is Flame and Citron. It's about the Danish resistance fighters during WWII.

While I enjoyed Flame and Citron, and thought Mikkelsoen was the best part of it, I thought the narrative was a little too jumbled and scattershot. I think the Hunt is the superior film.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

Cocoa Ninja posted:

I think the Hunt is the superior film.

Oh, I totally agree. Flame and Citron is just good fun. The Hunt, on the other hand -- I don't think I'll ever forget the church and supermarket scenes.

Kelfeftaf fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 23, 2014

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I saw The Hunt when it was first made available and it was probably the most powerful film I've seen streaming. Really engrossing.

The way Mikelson sold the pain of lossing his dog and the final scene with his friend's son taking a shot at him stayed with me for quite a while.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Geez, I just bought a chrome cast hoping I could use the USA netflix from Switzerland with it... I guess I'll have to re-arrange my network now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Cocoa Ninja posted:

THE HUNT

That movie was fantastic, but it's been a while since I've seen it. Can you remind me of what your spoiler is in reference to?

• Locked thread