Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I wouldn't go that far, but those are the best content. And it does kind of follow that the most recent stuff will be the highest quality. As long as you look at Hammerlock's Hunt as an abberation it all works. :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I like to forget that the Hammerlock DLC even exists. It's much easier that way.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The only good part of the Torque DLC was Torque himself. Beyond the slightly more entertaining context of pro-wrestling and somewhat varied arenas it was just Moxxi's Underboobdome with more travel time. The loot weren't even that good, I couldn't bring myself to grind for tokens and the storyline reward was terrible. At least Captain Scarlett ended with a room full of chests.

Speaking of Captain Scarlett, was that rebalanced for UVHM? I played through it with a friend on TVHM but it seemed to assume your character was level 37 or something at the start no matter what level you actually were. Or was that just the quest rewards? I can't remember.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I wanted to like Tiny Tina, and it definitely had its strong points, but good god the combat was some grindy bullshit sometimes, especially if you were doing certain sidequests.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

kater posted:

I still look to the time I accidentally ran past some dude and pulled the trigger on my Torq shotty and the bullets all ricocheted off the ground to cleave the guy in half as I turned around to watch and also took out 3 other dudes further away as the most transcendental FPS experience I've ever had.
As far as FPS's are concerned, I'm honestly not sure it'll ever get better than shooting my gun and killing someone behind me. Killing someone I never even considered hitting. Killing someone it should be physically impossible to hit.

They took the idea of aiming at stuff and then made not aiming at stuff the way to go. "Transcendental" was exactly the right word to use there. I hope we'll get something similarly wonderful in the pre–sequel, even if it's a DLC class. :allears:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

My favorite is killing a bad guy so hard that he explodes and that explosion kills another bad guy so hard that he makes an even bigger explosion that kills another bad guy and keeps on going until there is no one left to kill.

BLOODSPLOSION :black101:

That make awesome album title.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Here's hoping this one doesn't have a boss that is a boring health dump ala Saturn.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Fibby Boy posted:

Here's hoping this one doesn't have a boss that is a boring health dump ala Saturn.

gently caress Saturn. He's immune to basically everything interesting or unique. You can't even slag his dumb rear end.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I keep forgetting that Saturn exists. It's such a bad boss. Not very many Borderlands bosses are good but saturn is on a whole new level of bad. I have no idea how you could beat him without cheesing it in the shack and even then I pretty much burn through all my ammo.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

watho posted:

I keep forgetting that Saturn exists. It's such a bad boss. Not very many Borderlands bosses are good but saturn is on a whole new level of bad. I have no idea how you could beat him without cheesing it in the shack and even then I pretty much burn through all my ammo.

Saturn is one of those which is really (REALLY) geared towards Co-op play. He's way less of a problem with 2 or 3 guys wailing on him (and crucially, helping each other up). With all his firepower focused on you on your own it makes him so much harder.

Which is of course, shoddy design, since he's a story boss you need to beat to continue.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

wdarkk posted:

gently caress Saturn. He's immune to basically everything interesting or unique. You can't even slag his dumb rear end.

Yeah he's really badly designed. Fighting him solo in UVHM is probably the worst experience in the game. And this is coming from someone who likes UVHM and having to use slag.

I'm currently stuck on him with Krieg in UVHM because I can't get in safely to hit him with my axe without his stomps downing me or his laser blasts two shotting me.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Fibby Boy posted:

I'm currently stuck on him with Krieg in UVHM because I can't get in safely to hit him with my axe without his stomps downing me or his laser blasts two shotting me.
I had UVHM Saturn down to, like, 5% health as Krieg once, which involved a lot of timidly peeking out of cover to shoot him and numerous refill runs to the ammo vending machine.

Then I hosed up and he killed me. gently caress that poo poo and gently caress whoever came up with it. gently caress it and them so incredibly goddamn hard.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Longbow Bonus Package is the real Saturn Killer. Of course you have to run a lot and grab tons of grenade ammo, but it's still a pretty :torgue: grenade mod to have.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Axton here. Saturn was only mildly annoying. then again I had turrents shooting slag bullets and missiles at him while I was running around with a corrosive smg

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Kikas posted:

Longbow Bonus Package is the real Saturn Killer. Of course you have to run a lot and grab tons of grenade ammo, but it's still a pretty :torgue: grenade mod to have.

I'm doing a bandit tech only run with krieg so my best best is a bandit mirv grenade. I can consistently get him under half health though so I'm doing something right.

Edit:

AkumaHokoru posted:

Axton here. Saturn was only mildly annoying. then again I had turrents shooting slag bullets and missiles at him while I was running around with a corrosive smg

Yeah I'd say Axton was the character I had the easiest time killing Saturn with. Salvador was just under him in terms of survivablity but that was solely because I didn't have the grog knozzle at the time.

Zero I just hung back and sniped my way to victory. Maya/Gaige were about equal in difficulty since I wasn't able to do anything other than hang out in the shack with them.

Bumper Stickup fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 22, 2014

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

MMAgCh posted:

I had UVHM Saturn down to, like, 5% health as Krieg once, which involved a lot of timidly peeking out of cover to shoot him and numerous refill runs to the ammo vending machine.

Then I hosed up and he killed me. gently caress that poo poo and gently caress whoever came up with it. gently caress it and them so incredibly goddamn hard.

This same thing happened to me. I finally killed him by sitting inside the shed hitting him with my Infinity for about 15 minutes. gently caress Saturn.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The easiest way to beat Saturn is to just wait until he comes down from the highway and then run between his legs and use the elevator. He won't follow you back up and he stops firing at you.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I tried that when I ran through on normal and he jumped back up onto the highway.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Then boy did I get lucky! :v:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Fibby Boy posted:

I'm doing a bandit tech only run with krieg so my best best is a bandit mirv grenade. I can consistently get him under half health though so I'm doing something right.

Edit:

Yeah I'd say Axton was the character I had the easiest time killing Saturn with. Salvador was just under him in terms of survivablity but that was solely because I didn't have the grog knozzle at the time.

Zero I just hung back and sniped my way to victory. Maya/Gaige were about equal in difficulty since I wasn't able to do anything other than hang out in the shack with them.

Maya can actually one-shot Saturn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21iAHUfSQ5I
(With the right build and right weapons, of course...)

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

For what it's worth I just asked Gothalion about the scaling in PreSequel and he confirmed that he talked to the devs and it has been brought back to BL1 levels and is not at all insane. So good news.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Then boy did I get lucky! :v:

you did because he can and absolutely will jump back up there.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Critical posted:

For what it's worth I just asked Gothalion about the scaling in PreSequel and he confirmed that he talked to the devs and it has been brought back to BL1 levels and is not at all insane. So good news.

Let's hope they don't listen to the inevitable whining on the official forums and end up bringing back BL2 scaling, because that would be awful.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Mr E posted:

Let's hope they don't listen to the inevitable whining on the official forums and end up bringing back BL2 scaling, because that would be awful.

I don't think I've ever seen someone defend it on the official forums, but then again I didn't go into the general forums, which in my experience with WoW were always the worst.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I had no idea what the gently caress was up with Saturn, since it gets no introduction and just... shows up. So I kited it in circles around a building until it died. Thanks, Deathtrap!

Edit: I had actually forgotten it existed and thought you were talking about the multi-stage flying boss with all the health, which was also comically easy but for different reasons.

Seriously, Saturn feels really tacked-on.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Solumin posted:

Maya can actually one-shot Saturn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21iAHUfSQ5I
(With the right build and right weapons, of course...)

Yeah that's a really specific build.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I had no idea what the gently caress was up with Saturn, since it gets no introduction and just... shows up. So I kited it in circles around a building until it died. Thanks, Deathtrap!

Edit: I had actually forgotten it existed and thought you were talking about the multi-stage flying boss with all the health, which was also comically easy but for different reasons.

Seriously, Saturn feels really tacked-on.

I get that the data nexus in the Arid Badlands needs a guard but there's no build up for him. Hell, even Interplanetary Assassin Claptrap got more buildup.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Speedball posted:

I get that the data nexus in the Arid Badlands needs a guard but there's no build up for him. Hell, even Interplanetary Assassin Claptrap got more buildup.
It's literally just an extra-large robot model. I thought it was some sort of optional encounter or something.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's supposed to be a reference to the Mega Interplanetary Ninja Assassin Claptrap which is fought in the same spot and has a lot of the same attacks. It was actually how I realized the arid nexus was Fyrestone since I was looking away from the screen when the popup came up. I was all like "wait, this area seems kinda familiar ohhhhh nooooooo" and then I felt stupid.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
If I'm remembering right Saturn was supposed to be the boss at the end of the statuesque quest instead of the constructor you fight. I can't tell if it's be better or worse if you fought him there instead of where he's at now.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Fibby Boy posted:

If I'm remembering right Saturn was supposed to be the boss at the end of the statuesque quest instead of the constructor you fight. I can't tell if it's be better or worse if you fought him there instead of where he's at now.

Worse because if you ducked out he'd trash the hacked constructor.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
My problem with Saturn is how loving sudden they are. No real build up or warning to the giant gently caress off beast of a robot attacking you.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

WickedHate posted:

My problem with Saturn is how loving sudden they are. No real build up or warning to the giant gently caress off beast of a robot attacking you.
And unlike bosses it shows up every time you go there.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
The true insult is he has no critical points and I haven't been able to B0re him yet. :colbert:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I had completely forgotten about Saturn until just now. Thanks. It's weird because of how unceremoniously it appears--it just drops down off of the highway with nary an introduction or word (except for "Saturn" in the crosshairs) and you two go at it. Jack doesn't taunt you, there's no lecture about how tedious the coming fight will be, and Saturn itself doesn't even bother saying "hello".

Even in solo TVHM Saturn's a loving slog, and it's virtually intolerable on solo UVHM. Then you kill it and never return to that corner of the game ever again.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's weird, but the boss I've consistently had the biggest trouble with was always Midge-Mong.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

WickedHate posted:

It's weird, but the boss I've consistently had the biggest trouble with was always Midge-Mong.
...HOW? on higher difficulty levels...maybe...? you can shoot his rocks...and he has a bigger weak head thus a bigger weakpoint

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

AkumaHokoru posted:

...HOW? on higher difficulty levels...maybe...? you can shoot his rocks...and he has a bigger weak head thus a bigger weakpoint

Dude keeps jumping around, and the Bandits swarming around the area make it worse.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Because of the lack of a dodge button and your slow movement, any fast melee enemy such as a Super Badass Psycho or a Rabid Skag is way more dangerous than any boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Dude keeps jumping around, and the Bandits swarming around the area make it worse.

the bandits you weaken but dont kill save them for your FFL targets. ignore the midget and kill the monkey first. play like a coward.

• Locked thread