Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Outlook's conversation view.

It's like they make it unusable on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Wow dogstile that sucks. Sorry to hear it. Is this job worth sticking through until you potentially move overseas for it? It seems like this company tries to short change and hassle you all the time.

Stuff pissing me off. Sales, again. My %100 paid for by work cell # is on my business cards and listed in the company directory. It's made well known that you only call someone on the IT team in a dire emergency. Otherwise we have a rotating on call person who gets the calls on the weekends and that person only has to responds to emergencies. Well someone decided that getting an iPhone 6 on Saturday was an emergency and blew up my phone. Text, email, and a few voicemails. I finally called the person back, told them that there call wasnt an emergency, and that they hadnt followed the proper company procedure for getting a phone either so that come Monday none of use would be calling her back with the info to charge a new phone to the company. I swear these people dont read a single thing that gets sent out to them. We sent a detailed message and how to get a new phone once the iPhone 6 was announced and no one has followed it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

rolleyes posted:

Outlook's conversation view.

It's like they make it unusable on purpose.

Outlook's conversation view for gmail IMAP

It's like they make it unusable on purpose out of spite.

I keep having individual messages disappear from view and can only be found with a search.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If you bring your laptop/tablet/phone over to me to work on some random poo poo, make sure the battery has less than 10% charge and don't tell me what your unlock passwords etc are. If you could do this an hour or two before you have to leave on jet plane that would be even better.

Thank you and gently caress off.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

If you bring your laptop/tablet/phone over to me to work on some random poo poo, make sure the battery has less than 10% charge and don't tell me what your unlock passwords etc are. If you could do this an hour or two before you have to leave on jet plane that would be even better.
Hey buddy here is thing. I'm headed out to lunch, mind if I swing by after lunch and pick up completed thing? Thanks.

I'm not even sure of the point of conversation view or the people pane. There has to be some job where this is helpful, but I clearly don't have that job.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Bob Morales posted:

Thank you and gently caress off.

You should also not leave any type of contact information with the laptop so that I have to call all over asking if someone left their laptop at my desk.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

TWBalls posted:

You should also not leave any type of contact information with the laptop so that I have to call all over asking if someone left their laptop at my desk.

I'm going into a meeting for an hour here's my laptop lol

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
A guy called in, said he'd been put on light duty so he was going to help out the office staff with some computer work. But he doesn't have an account, so he can't log in. The user who usually sits at this computer is on vacation, and he wants to reset that user's password. I tell him we'll need his manager to send us a new account creation request, and then we'll be able to get him an account.

A few minutes later, his manager calls and speaks with someone else here. They reset that user's password.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

anthonypants posted:

A guy called in, said he'd been put on light duty so he was going to help out the office staff with some computer work. But he doesn't have an account, so he can't log in. The user who usually sits at this computer is on vacation, and he wants to reset that user's password. I tell him we'll need his manager to send us a new account creation request, and then we'll be able to get him an account.

A few minutes later, his manager calls and speaks with someone else here. They reset that user's password.

Isn't this like a huge security violation?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

anthonypants posted:

Don't you have callback procedures or something?

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

RadicalR posted:

Isn't this like a huge security violation?

Yes. Yes it is.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

spog posted:

Outlook's conversation view for gmail IMAP

It's like they make it unusable on purpose out of spite.

I keep having individual messages disappear from view and can only be found with a search.

I lose messages in Outlook's conversation view all the time, for some reason hitting the right arrow key reveals more messages than the triangle thing does.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
New guy on the team took it upon himself to clean up our shop and start asset disposal processes on older computers in there. Trouble is, some of them were due to be rebuilt and shipped back to user's, but he didn't bother to see who they were for.

I blame myself for not training him to ask more questions, but I also blame him for not asking more questions like "hey, should I dispose of these 20 computers that were just shipped to us from our field offices?" or "these are pretty new machines, should be be throwing these in the garbage?"

fwiw: most of them did need to be disposed, but the pallet of Dell T3400 / T3500's that are still in decent shape, those we need to keep pal.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I wouldn't be that surprised if someone mistook a bunch of machines that only take DDR2 RAM as ones that should be thrown out.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I would love something that new.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

TWBalls posted:

I've never really gotten the whole love some people have for area codes. I've even seen dipshits get tattoos of area codes. Do they not realize that they can change? It makes me chuckle to think of some "gangsta" that lived in Fresno that had 209 tattooed back in the early 90's only to have the area code change to 559 in 1998.

You can go the other extreme, too. My sister got her cellphone when she was in college in Maryland. She lives and works in NYC and still has that exact same cellphone number.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

nitrogen posted:

You can go the other extreme, too. My sister got her cellphone when she was in college in Maryland. She lives and works in NYC and still has that exact same cellphone number.
There is nothing wrong with this!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

nitrogen posted:

I've had the same cell phone number for several years and I've lived in two other cities since then. I just like having the same number. I don't have to go on facebook and say "Hey my number changed because I'm an idiot and didn't port it or I got a new phone or something stupid."

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Cojawfee posted:

I've had the same cell phone number for several years and I've lived in two other cities since then. I just like having the same number. I don't have to go on facebook and say "Hey my number changed because I'm an idiot and didn't port it or I got a new phone or something stupid."

I had to change mine when I moved here, because the company I worked for limited LD access and nobody could call me. (my phone was mine, but reimbursed.)

long distance is barely a thing anymore, which is also nice.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

My boss just signed me up to be on call 24/7 for 3 weeks... with the only talk of compensation being 'yeah, just write an hour of work whenever they call'.

He's in for a surprise tomorrow when I throw the communist labor laws we have here in Norway in his face.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

anthonypants posted:

Hahaha, hope this isn't an org covered under HIPPA/FERPA/SOX,'cause that's a violation!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's a paddlin'

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
My contempt towards ICANN and their bloody data verification rules putting domains into clienthold status, resulting in people shouting at us for their sites being down (for reasons that aren't our fault) is already pretty strong.

Let me tell you though, when you get ranted at half a dozen times in one day about it, it really makes you want to just flip your desk in frustration.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

nitrogen posted:

I'm not seeing anything wrong with that. Why get a new number and have people have to update their contacts unnecessarily? I have a user that is here in the bay area that still has her number from when she was in Florida.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

hihifellow posted:

Hahaha, hope this isn't an org covered under HIPPA/FERPA/SOX,'cause that's a violation!

its only a SOX violation if that company has financial controls tied to user access for that system. They probably do, but SOX legislation does nor prescribe identity management solutions.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

You do not get to bypass the helpdesk by calling my personal mobile. When I find out who gave it out I will ensure their death is slow and painful.

My place of work has a personal radio system- people tell me every day that in all the years they've worked there, they have never heard one person be in such demand.

I refuse to carry a radio (it's not mandatory or anything) and I started answer radio call outs ASAP to tell people they must log a ticket, no I can't help you even though we are talking on the phone right now because I'm in the middle of another ticket, you would essentially be queue jumping. Imagine if I started helping you now and someone else radio'd for me - what your actually saying I should do is drop your problem and go help them

Everyone is getting a rant from me but I will win eventually.

This isn't helped by my assistant who carries and responds to radio calls, thereby mollycoddling staff into thinking this is ok - I am going to formally raise it in their appraisal and then discipline them if they don't start logging tickets and following basic procedures.

anthonypants posted:

I'm not sure what policies you are subject to but if I knew a user was on holiday and their account was being used I would probably disable it and report it to whoever looks after security incidents from senior management for a bit of a laugh.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
This week, I migrate to my new NAS and set up a limited user to do HTPC stuff. I install TotalMedia Theatre and settle in to watch a blu-ray. Oh, doesn't work, I'll put in a ticket.

Then I find out that last week, ArcSoft dropped support for TMT like a hot turd, with no warning whatsoever.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

I lose messages in Outlook's conversation view all the time, for some reason hitting the right arrow key reveals more messages than the triangle thing does.

I haven't noticed any problems with 2013's conversation view. Or maybe I've been missing stuff all the time and not noticing??? I have noticed sometimes my rules don't seem to work until I run them manually. But that's a different issue.

nitrogen posted:

I don't see a problem with this. I got a number in Michigan and moved (back) to PA. The only problem I run into is the Michigan area code is 734 and the PA one here is 724. If I don't really stress it's a 734 number, I'm worried people are going to just think 724 by default. I think this happened at least once.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost
I've had the same number for 17 years. :sotw:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sarcasmatron posted:

Holy poo poo! After some math in my head (and counting on fingers and toes) I realized I've had mine for that long as well. Seems I've come a long way from that old StarTac flip phone.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
I know Backup Exec already gets a lot of complaining on here, but seriously this 2012 version

Click on the icon
Go grab a coffee
Do a few other jobs
Come back to it
Still loading

Slowest starting software on the planet, without actually being any obvious fault (there's a progress bar, there's disk thrashing.. it's just slow)

E: this is what happens when I'm slow at editing a post

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 23, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sarcasmatron posted:

15 here. Got my first cell in 1999, an Ericsson T18, and have kept the same number since.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Yeah with the mobile numbers, it's especially bad when one of your friends, well to be fair to the guy he has a list of mental health problems but one of his quirks is an obsession with buying new phones every couple of weeks (literally). He's given up telling us and we just contact him on Facebook instead after a few cases of us asking in public "hey what's Joe's number this week?" to try and drop the hint.

Some people for some reason just don't like porting their number, either because it feels like a fresh start to them, or they have an on and off partner that they keep blocking and having to get a new number then making up with them again, or I guess sometimes an attention thing where they want to feel valued.

====

Additional rant, Sage Saleslogix. It's this loving unreliable sync system.. it's the 21st century, can't we have the data stored in the butt or something?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I've had the same mobile number since 1998 and its been on prepay the entire time (has to be some sort of record)

GargleBlaster posted:

====

Additional rant, Sage Saleslogix. It's this loving unreliable sync system.. it's the 21st century, can't we have the data stored in the butt or something?

Apparently the new owners of Saleslogix (it has changed hands twice in the past couple of years) are focusing 'all development effort' on their butt-hosted offering.

Doesn't make any difference to us, we're stuck on a customised to hell locally hosted 7.5.4 system that has data going back to the late 90s. I'm sure its still going to be in use and crashing Outlook well into the next decade.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

dissss posted:

I've had the same mobile number since 1998 and its been on prepay the entire time (has to be some sort of record)

Apparently the new owners of Saleslogix (it has changed hands twice in the past couple of years) are focusing 'all development effort' on their butt-hosted offering.

Doesn't make any difference to us, we're stuck on a customised to hell locally hosted 7.5.4 system that has data going back to the late 90s. I'm sure its still going to be in use and crashing Outlook well into the next decade.

That is very wise of the new owners.

Haha, it sounds as if you work in the same place as me. It's been very heavily cobbled over the decades and the Outlook plugin is notorious.

To be fair the actual sync mechanism itself seems robust, it's just that the service itself only operates when the stars are aligned in a certain way.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
I've had the same number since I got my first mobile phone, which would probably be around 2002.

Actually a question, are US mobile numbers based on region? I think here in the UK, it's just that each network provider has a certain selection, and you just get one of those.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Venusy posted:

I've had the same number since I got my first mobile phone, which would probably be around 2002.

Actually a question, are US mobile numbers based on region? I think here in the UK, it's just that each network provider has a certain selection, and you just get one of those.

Yes, they are. There's an xkcd comic about how your mobile number reflects where you lived in 2003. Because long distance calling incurs no additional fees for mobile (and increasingly so for POTS), no one bothers changing their number to one with a local area code.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Venusy posted:

They are, however it doesn't matter much anymore. Mobile numbers are selected based off of zip code (mailing code dependent on the closest city). However most every cell carrier will ask if you have a preference of what zip code you want your cell number based out of if you don't want it based off where you live.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

This week, I migrate to my new NAS and set up a limited user to do HTPC stuff. I install TotalMedia Theatre and settle in to watch a blu-ray. Oh, doesn't work, I'll put in a ticket.

Then I find out that last week, ArcSoft dropped support for TMT like a hot turd, with no warning whatsoever.

TMT has been, in my experience, the least lovely of the software BluRay players. Well that is true for TMT3, never tried 5.

What did piss me off with that product. They released a patch for TMT3 that made it work with the Windows 8 developer preview. Then buried any mention of it's existence and insisted that you upgrade to TMT5 if you want to run it on Windows 8.

That patch? Still available on their site, works just fine with Windows 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

GargleBlaster posted:

dissss posted:

Cloud-to-butt is becoming reality.