Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

S.J. posted:

The problem with warhammer prices is rarely that individual models are overpriced, but rather that armies require you to buy way too many boxes/blisters to put together. This ties into how GW has been making games larger and points costs lower over time to, in part, encourage people to spend more money.

No, there are definitely a large (and increasing) number of places where we can judge individual models as overcosted. Even putting aside the ridiculous $30 character models, there's no excuse for there only being a ~$5 discount for buying five dudes in power armor instead of 10 dudes in power armor. Specialty bits and sculpts in the devastator/grey knight/whatever boxes add some value, but it's ridiculous to contend that the marginal cost increase should be that steep.

Squifferific posted:

Where would the prices have to be for people to be happy? Is there a magic price point that would make us collectively moist?

Well, there are objectively examples of miniature companies where people on SA don't complain nearly so much about the prices, or if they do it's in a joking/positive "oh god, so much nice stuff for me to buy, my poor wallet" way without the "... and $company are hitlers for scalping us with these price points" clause. Now, you can argue whether they'd be viewed in such a positive light without GW playing the massive heel of the industry, but it's a place to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

JerryLee posted:

No, there are definitely a large (and increasing) number of places where we can judge individual models as overcosted. Even putting aside the ridiculous $30 character models, there's no excuse for there only being a ~$5 discount for buying five dudes in power armor instead of 10 dudes in power armor. Specialty bits and sculpts in the devastator/grey knight/whatever boxes add some value, but it's ridiculous to contend that the marginal cost increase should be that steep.

I didn't say there wasn't overcosted stuff. Everyone knows that there is. My point is that the reason Warhammer tends to be more expensive than similar hobbies isn't because of individual model prices - 4 bucks for a tactical marine isn't bad, and 30 dollars for a character you have to buy once is way too expensive, but still a drop in the bucket compared to where you really get screwed over on putting an entire army together - it's that in order to put a full list together you end up having to buy multiple copies of the same boxes to get enough dudes to meet minimum army requirements, or bitz, or it just isn't worth taking a single X in your army list because it will die too fast so you really ought to buy 3 of them, or that Rhinos are so ridiculously cheap in points that they're an insignificant part of the points of your army but you spend almost as much money on them as what they're transporting, etc, etc. You're not disagreeing with me, here.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

S.J. posted:

I didn't say there wasn't overcosted stuff. Everyone knows that there is. My point is that the reason Warhammer tends to be more expensive than similar hobbies isn't because of individual model prices - 4 bucks for a tactical marine isn't bad, and 30 dollars for a character you have to buy once is way too expensive, but still a drop in the bucket compared to where you really get screwed over on putting an entire army together - it's that in order to put a full list together you end up having to buy multiple copies of the same boxes to get enough dudes to meet minimum army requirements, or bitz, or it just isn't worth taking a single X in your army list because it will die too fast so you really ought to buy 3 of them, or that Rhinos are so ridiculously cheap in points that they're an insignificant part of the points of your army but you spend almost as much money on them as what they're transporting, etc, etc. You're not disagreeing with me, here.

Right, I don't know that we actually disagree in spirit.

I think I might have mis-parsed what you said--I read it as 'individual models are rarely overpriced' whereas you may have meant 'individual models being overpriced is rarely the ultimate cause of someone being priced out of this hobby.' If so, my bad. :sweatdrop:

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I tend to purchase all of my models at my FLGS. It's definitely not my cheapest option, but it supports a place that lets me come in, play games and make friends.

However, my "starter" armies were both done on eBay.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

MasterSlowPoke posted:

A Harridan takes up like half the table, good luck.

You weren't kidding... it's longer than the deployment zone.

Still need to figure out how to base it, the resin stand doesn't look anywhere near strong enough.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"
I'd love a starter box for each army, with a squad or two and a shortened rulebook/codex that gives you just the rules you need for those models. I'd buy them. And it would be a good taster to get other people into it as well.

Painting progress! I just finished these guys over the last week or so. For the longest time I was putting off painting any vehicles at all, but I'm super happy with how these turned out. They kind of look like they're from the planet Agrax Earthshade, but that's fine. Also, I need to buy more Agrax Earthshade.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Those look awesome, but if you do one more thing it should be to take some Typhon Corrosion or other pseudo-filth to smear around the tread areas. Also maybe make the plasma coils a touch brighter.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I just don't want to pay $50 for 5 Terminators, I don't care if that makes me history's greatest monster.

edit: This was pertaining to price chat, I don't buy recasts.

ThNextGreenLantern fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 22, 2014

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
If you know anyone that's doing the Deadzone KS, grab 5 of the Enforcers for count-as and only spend $10!

Not shown is the missile launcher variant so you've got your ranged termies done easy. Wrist blades cover your lightning claws and there's shields for your TH/SH type so you just need some hammers if that's your bag.

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 22, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I pay 5 dollars a model for the new Dwarf Longbeards and my list has like 70 in it. I wish it wasn't so loving pricy but at the same time they're pretty good models.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

thiswayliesmadness posted:

If you know anyone that's doing the Deadzone KS, grab 5 of the Enforcers for count-as and only spend $10!

Not shown is the missile launcher variant so you've got your ranged termies done easy. Wrist blades cover your lightning claws and there's shields for your TH/SH type so you just need some hammers if that's your bag.

They're awful though.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Hra Mormo posted:

Yeah, same here. The one thing I don't absolutely love about Dark Eldar models is how things like the Razorwing and the Venom were apparently designed by Batman. And I guess wracks look retarded, but anyway. With the Venom alot is salvaged by having the riders on the wings, that completely changes the feel of the model from Batman to Dark Eldar. The Razorwing doesn't have that, it's just a bigger Venom with the Dark Eldar sucked out. It's all Batman. The Voidraven is now looks to turn out to be Batman 2: The Electric Return of the Jokerloo.

I know some people actually specifically want the Batman look from Dark Eldar, probably the same people who convert their wing riders to on-foot models. Different strokes I guess.

Oh I actually like the look of the razorwing and venom. I get your Batman complaint, but to me they say, "evil version of Craftworld Eldar stuff." With the voidraven, I was hoping for that big crystal cockpit the fluff went on about. It looks like it's there, but not as prominent or striking as I'd hoped for.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Those are awful but this is a tiny jewel of wonder and amazement?

If you think this is worth $40 more than the above you are insane.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

They're awful though.

Nah.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So my best friend and his wife just had their first child, a girl. I want to send him something useful and thoughtful. Since he is a Warhammer/40k player and his wife is down with his nerdery I thought I could send them some diapers and then a nicely painted model/something for the daughter with a hand-written letter.

The problem is, I have no idea what to go with as a model. Any suggestions?

EDIT: To clarify, the model I guess isn't really for the girl since, yknow, it's probably dangerous to her. But just something celebratory or tangentially related.

Boon fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 22, 2014

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Boon posted:

So my best friend and his wife just had their first child, a girl. I want to send him something useful and thoughtful. Since he is a Warhammer/40k player and his wife is down with his nerdery I thought I could send them some diapers and then a nicely painted model/something for the daughter with a hand-written letter.

Find one of those little cyber cherubs.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Boon posted:

EDIT: To clarify, the model I guess isn't really for the girl since, yknow, it's probably dangerous to her. But just something celebratory or tangentially related.

Well they've spawned a little monster so they probably are best represented by a Tervigon. Include a note that says "Hope you didn't roll doubles!"

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

PeterWeller posted:

Find one of those little cyber cherubs.

"For your precious little Nephilim"

http://darkheresy.wikia.com/wiki/Servants

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Boon posted:

There will never be a better time for the Nemesis Dreadknight. Especially if you also buy them a baby harness and stencil an Inquisition symbol on it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Those are awful but this is a tiny jewel of wonder and amazement?

If you think this is worth $40 more than the above you are insane.

I didn't say that.

Those deadzone models are garbage though.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

serious gaylord posted:

I didn't say that.

That's like, your opinion, man.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

They're awful though.

Yeah, put on a battlefield against other 40k models, they'd look far too emaciated and lanky.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Deadzone models, regardless of what you think of the actual sculpting quality, don't match GW's aesthetics or proportions. It's like putting Infinity models next to GW figs - even though the Infinity models are gorgeous, they don't look right next to the GW ones or vice versa. The aesthetics are so out of wack between game developers that I don't really like using non-GW models in my games. That being said, I've found a choice few folks who make models that do fit the GW aesthetic, but they're few and far between, and in many cases more expensive. I'd love to do an army of Victoria Lamb's IG since they actually look right with everything else, but they're pricey minis.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

JerryLee posted:

Right, I don't know that we actually disagree in spirit.

I think I might have mis-parsed what you said--I read it as 'individual models are rarely overpriced' whereas you may have meant 'individual models being overpriced is rarely the ultimate cause of someone being priced out of this hobby.' If so, my bad. :sweatdrop:

It's just as my bad for not spelling it out clearly enough, no big deal. But yes, that's what I was trying to get across.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

420 vortex Germ's landraiders erryday.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

I'd love to do an army of Victoria Lamb's IG since they actually look right with everything else, but they're pricey minis.

Yeah same here pretty much. At least one group or something like that least but that's really drat pricey to do for me.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

Cooked Auto posted:

Yeah same here pretty much. At least one group or something like that least but that's really drat pricey to do for me.

I got a set of the slouch hat heads to use as a Veteran squad, just on regular IG bodies. They look awesome. But this was last year when they had free shipping, and now it looks like that's changed.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That template looks rad as gently caress

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

With all the different bits and such you can just about put together an acceptably on-model space marine with third party parts. The trouble is it's not convenient--you have to buy arms and bolters from one place, torso and helmet from another place, oh but you have to go to this third place for legs that don't have weird cables coming out for some reason... And just about nobody makes a fully proper backpack unless it's a heavily stylized one like Space Wolf or Plague Marine.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

I didn't say that.

I'll agree with SRM's point that the aesthetics don't really match up, but I hardly agree with your opinion here. Might have something to do with you making one line "I don't like it" posts instead of explaining your point of view. What do they need? A skull on the belt and a cheap banner pole to be equal in your eyes? Most of the assault termy details are decals or crux terminatus symbols everywhere with the odd purity seal. It's their new hard plastic enforcers which are supposed to be much easier to assemble than their old line if that's your unexplained point. They're even supposed to have a good deal of weapon options comparable to the current assault termy box so you'll still have gubbins to play with (possibly more from the sounds of it).

Maybe the $40 difference in price wasn't your point, but it really factors in when making a choice for players buying the current models or a proxy. Considering the 'price chat' had been swinging around again with someone complaining about the $50 price tag on terms, suggesting something at 1/5th the cost seemed appropriate. Not looking to start an argument, just generally curious how you can see them as trash.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Squifferific posted:

I got a set of the slouch hat heads to use as a Veteran squad, just on regular IG bodies. They look awesome. But this was last year when they had free shipping, and now it looks like that's changed.

Been considering buying some Pig Iron heads for that purpose as I've mentioned earlier. Does save me on painting flesh too aside from looking really cool.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

SRM posted:

Deadzone models, regardless of what you think of the actual sculpting quality, don't match GW's aesthetics or proportions.

Just buy them for Deadzone then :v:

I think some of the Marauders might come close, but they'd need 40k themed bitz to really sell it, unless you were going for that counts-as IG or IG themed Ork army someone else was trying a couple hundred pages back

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
On price chat, it really can depend on what you are looking for in your hobby as to whether it is worth it or not. I never play but I love the modeling and painting aspects of the hobby.

I bought the Trygon kit a few weeks ago and from opening the box to having a completed built and painted figure took about 9 hours or so. Even at the Australian price of $96, I figure that at around $10 per hour for entertainment, it is worth it for me.

If I were buying kits to make an army, I would probably think it was horribly overpriced though, mostly because I can't see myself ever enjoying buying kits that I just don't like to complete an army.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My vote is for a diorama with Brother-wolf Husband and Battle-Sister Wife fighting back to back with a hovering chureb baby shielding behind them with all sorts of xenos scum menacing them. Label each bad guy with something wrong in the world like "vice" and "disease".

Or just give them a card with a savings bond.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Fix posted:

420 vortex Germ's landraiders erryday.

Holy poo poo.

Holy poo poo... I have one of those.

I have a Shokk Attack Gun mek too.

Ohhhhhh poo poo.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Jesus christ someone help me shut up a really dumb argument, there is a guy in my local playgroup that is trying to make the argument that using ethereal interceptor with his deathmarks allows him to shoot them during his opponents turn (when they come in) because deep strike says you can run or shoot after deep striking, he says because of that statement, and because there is nothing that says he cant, that he can basically double tap the deathmarks in both his opponents, and then his, shooting phase.

Just help me end this debate, please. Either for or against, I dont care as long as its over.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 23, 2014

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Nothing anyone says is going to stop that loving idiot. Just tell him to shut the gently caress up, he's a terrible person/player, and that you hope all the bad things happen to him until such a time he decides he no longer wants to be a douche.

theironjef posted:

Well they've spawned a little monster so they probably are best represented by a Tervigon. Include a note that says "Hope you didn't roll doubles!"

I love this idea, especially since he plays Tyranids... you're my hero.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Does he think he gets to shoot in his own movement phase after deep striking? Dude isn't worth speaking to.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

ghetto wormhole posted:

Does he think he gets to shoot in his own movement phase after deep striking? Dude isn't worth speaking to.

No, in the shooting phase. The shooting phase the D-Marks come in (using that rule on his opponents turn) and then in his shooting phase.
For comedy value here is one of the responses

( "there is no rule in the shooting phase of the book that explicitly states that you cannot shoot"

Theres also no rule against setting your opponent on fire then slapping him with your dick.)

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Boon posted:

When my wife and I had a kid our friends dumped all sorts of junk on us thinking they were being cool, thoughtful or sentimental. At the time we didn't have the headspace to deal with any of it or the apartment space to store it.

If you want my advice get them some diapers, baby wipes, baby singlets, some home cooked food and an offer to watch the baby for a few hours so they can get some sleep. Those are the best gifts you can give new parents. Books, stuffed animals, cute little outfits, and warhammers are a waste on a newborn.

Obviously I don't know you or your friend and you should do whatever you think your buddy will like. But keep in mind your buddy's probably not going to get much gaming in in the immediate future so giving him a warham might also give him the sads.

• Locked thread