Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Drifter posted:

If you want to get the best price on a videogame, don't ever buy it. Just one of those things.

Oh I understand that. It was just kind of a really last minute sale on a preorder, which generally doesn't happen very often. It would have only saved me $3 so it really isn't a big deal. I always make GMG my first stop and try all the current vouchers on games before I grab them, so they will still definitely get plenty of money from me in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I kinda like it but I wish it wasn't blue.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

first item in my queue: dota

clearly you and I need to get to know each other a little better, steam recommendations.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
After I spent the last year playing mostly roguelikes, turn based RPGs and adventure games, Valve gives me a "personalized recommendation" of DOTA 2, Sniper Elite 3, and Arkham Origins :toughguy:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well, Arkham Origins has a one-life mode so I suppose that technically fits...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I like new Steam website, mostly because it keeps all the clutter "under the fold" so to speak.

e: lol Steam Curators won't make any money, I bet Youtube celebrities are pissed

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Awesome! posted:

first item in my queue: dota

clearly you and I need to get to know each other a little better, steam recommendations.

I think DOTA is thrown on most queues. It's Valve marketing their garbage.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

FEAR was always more goofy than scary, but it is fuckin' rad. Too bad the expansions are so lame :(

I will go to my grave defending Perseus Mandate

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Its so blue.

Movac
Oct 31, 2012
When you click through you can see why each game was added to your queue. Reasons include "because it is popular" and "because it is a best seller."

"Personalized."

e: That said, psyched for the curators feature.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

I think DOTA is thrown on most queues. It's Valve marketing their garbage.

Most of the recommendations I'm getting is because "the game is popular." Clearly you must like popular games, citizen. Unless you don't like things other people like, in which case hit the "report me" button and Valve's re-education counselors will get back to you promptly.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

Most of the recommendations I'm getting is because "the game is popular." Clearly you must like popular games, citizen. Unless you don't like things other people like, in which case hit the "report me" button and Valve's re-education counselors will get back to you promptly.

Things get popular because a majority of people like them, so putting the popular thing in the queue will make sense most of the time.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yea every item in my queue was there because it was popular or a top seller

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
So the "new releases" tab has been updated to only show popular new releases. Which kinda makes the whole idea of a new releases tab useless.

I dunno, I'm not feeling this update. If this is the magic solution that guy was hyping up awhile back, I think he's delusional.

WraithMind
Jan 26, 2011
noooooo the storefront scrolls (almost) forever

Oh thank god, they finally added that random game button we've been waiting for.

WraithMind fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 23, 2014

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

So far out of about 4 recommendation queues I've gone through, I've added 3 games to my wishlist. You'd think with 600+ games steam would know what I like.

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER
It looks like a smurf exploded on my steam. :barf:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lance Streetman posted:

So the "new releases" tab has been updated to only show popular new releases. Which kinda makes the whole idea of a new releases tab useless.

It says that, but if you add early access titles it looks like it includes everything. You can also hide stuff you own which is nice.

Also, if you hit "not interested" on DOTA Steam isn't supposed to show ads for it anymore at all so yay for that I guess.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Lance Streetman posted:

I dunno, I'm not feeling this update. If this is the magic solution that guy was hyping up awhile back, I think he's delusional.

Scroll to the bottom and hit "All new releases". Still there, just very well hidden.

Developers will be even more pissed that they have to do their own marketing.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I like that because I like adventure games it recommends me Bioshock Infinite and Borderlands 2 because according to Steam they're adventure games. :downs:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Lance Streetman posted:

There's an "All New Releases" button at the bottom of the Popular New Releases tab, but I don't yet see a way to make that the default. Which is a shame, because that's where I found a lot of neat little games I wouldn't have heard about otherwise.

The thing that sticks out the most to me right now is that every Customize button has an option to exclude Early Access titles.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

AlmightyBob posted:

So far out of about 4 recommendation queues I've gone through, I've added 3 games to my wishlist. You'd think with 600+ games steam would know what I like.

With over 600 games on steam you probably own everything you like, you massive nerd whale

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
For some reason I thought that this might mean they made the mobile app not poo poo, or at least the store part of the app. They didn't.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I like new Steam website, mostly because it keeps all the clutter "under the fold" so to speak.

e: lol Steam Curators won't make any money, I bet Youtube celebrities are pissed

I'm just happy there is an "All New Releases" button so I don't have to keep clicking for the next 10.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Stan Taylor posted:

For some reason I thought that this might mean they made the mobile app not poo poo, or at least the store part of the app. They didn't.

Android mobile app hasn't been updated since 2012. iOS one got one or two iOS 7 updates but it'll probably be a while before it sees another. The mobile app is obviously some intern's side project.

Gotta build those stupid steamboxes and SteamOS, I guess.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

botany posted:

With over 600 games on steam you probably own everything you like, you massive nerd whale

Indie Bundles inflate the poo poo out of your library

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

AlmightyBob posted:

Indie Bundles inflate the poo poo out of your library

Then you probably don't want Steam checking your library for inspiration.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

botany posted:

yea this is pretty much true. i think if you looked at the generally accept palpek list and add +20% it's about 620 games so yeah.

i think most recommendation things are fairly bad in general--goodreads isn't very good and most movie recs are also kinda bad without some really strict criteria. plus most games on steam are poorly tagged and at best it can look at what you've put most hours into but that'll skew toward MP games

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

botany posted:

No poo poo, and how is Steam supposed to know which of those 600 games you actually enjoy?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

No poo poo, and how is Steam supposed to know which of those 600 games you actually enjoy?

Hours played? Achievement %? I mean it's not perfect but there's some data there to look at.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I'm going to follow the curator who only recommends "good games" like Postal 2 (which technically is ranked "goood" so it's 50% better than a normal good game.)

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Perhaps the steam features like tracking hours played, reviews you've posted, etc.? I'm guessing it's not taking those into account at the moment.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

They do recommend games based on time spent playing similar games, they're just buried at the bottom of the front page instead of being featured in the personal queue.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Also, Defense Grid 2 comes out tomorrow :woop:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Breadallelogram posted:

Perhaps the steam features like tracking hours played, reviews you've posted, etc.? I'm guessing it's not taking those into account at the moment.

If/when it does, I'm gonna feel super bad for that goon with like 6 months logged in Dinner Date.

Not really, tho.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Be sure to follow the Skelemen curator, it seems like a winner.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

NmareBfly posted:

Hours played? Achievement %? I mean it's not perfect but there's some data there to look at.

With people idling for cards and using unlockers for playfire this isn't even close to accurate either.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Love this system already.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Holy poo poo, Steam finally marks which games you already own in the sales window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

AlmightyBob posted:

If you purchase one single game as a result of the queues then it has fulfilled its purpose.

• Locked thread