Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Maestro posted:

Or tacos or sticky buns, and save the fat to infuse whiskey with and make some money that way. Bacon fat old fashioneds are pretty tasty

Infuse vodka, make a good bacon Caesar, retire on your riches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Splizwarf posted:

Come try the DC area, we built the nation's capital on disgusting swampland that nobody wanted. Maryland and Virginia couldn't give this garbage away until Congress rolled up looking for land. Absolutely everything outdoors and man-made around here has a fat slick of mold on it somewhere.

Or there's Baltimore, where it literally rains human feces sometimes. :shrek:

DC wasn't actually built on a swamp. Some areas were built up without proper drainage though.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Question for you Guys, right now my place is serving upscale-ish bar food considering we are located inside of a
/quote]

[quote="Willie Tomg" post="435200610"]
Good news: He's not dead! I'm still convinced he has high blood pressure but whatever, I'm not the guy's dad.

What was dead was our restaurant on account of everyone being in the streets for Pride Week(end) and since I worked third shift that morning got a half day that evening. I actually had to fight to make my second plate of the day just so I could justify waking up and crawling in to the kitchen.

No workplace fatalities, and easy day that's 50% shorter than normal? awwww yeah, its Miller Time baby.
I'm willing to bet that he had a work induced anxiety attack

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

drgitlin posted:

DC wasn't actually built on a swamp. Some areas were built up without proper drainage though.

Yes, thank you, the correct term is "tidal marsh", because to be considered swampland there must be trees. The point is, most of DC is "tidal marsh" ie a dank humid shithole loaded with vermin and bloodsuckers.

Also, rats and mosquitos. :downsrim:

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
whoever told me to go to money mart or whatever is the best cuz man I did it and the other guy's cheque prolly bounced but i'm sitting here with rent covered for next month and eight boxes of halloween candy and no need to do anything for at least a week and it's unlikely i even leave this room until wednesday or thursday!

thank the lord for good posters who guide me through this valley of death!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Simoom posted:

whoever told me to go to money mart or whatever is the best cuz man I did it and the other guy's cheque prolly bounced but i'm sitting here with rent covered for next month and eight boxes of halloween candy and no need to do anything for at least a week and it's unlikely i even leave this room until wednesday or thursday!

We only want what's best for you. No go out and spend half your rent money on cheap booze.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Wroughtirony posted:

We only want what's best for you. No go out and spend half your rent money on cheap booze.

It is so, so hard to not drink. Instead I save it up for brownies and end up spending half or even less than I would if I just kept packing down the cheap wine and bad liquor every day. It gets easier when I see how miserable my coworkers are all the time, and how much better I sleep and, you know, don't vomit and stuff like that.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Simoom posted:

That was me. Glad you got your money. I know this trick because I guy I used to work for would write everyone's checks and if you weren't first or second to the bank they wouldn't cash your check. I'd have to wait til Tuesday to cash it when all the credit card transactions from the weekend were posted to the account. If I needed money right away I'd head over to the check cashing place and get monies.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Simoom posted:

Huh, how much did they charge? I guess they would go after the guy directly to try and recover on the bad check?

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

baquerd posted:

Huh, how much did they charge? I guess they would go after the guy directly to try and recover on the bad check?

They usually just throw a charge on the account so they get their money plus a charge for not having enough in the account to cover the check then the bank covers the whole thing and adds on a charge of their own. When he does get money into the account he'll have about $80 in charges taken out plus the check amount.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Uncle Lizard posted:

That was me. Glad you got your money. I know this trick because I guy I used to work for would write everyone's checks and if you weren't first or second to the bank they wouldn't cash your check. I'd have to wait til Tuesday to cash it when all the credit card transactions from the weekend were posted to the account. If I needed money right away I'd head over to the check cashing place and get monies.

This was me at the bistro previous. Has to cash it at least 5 days before the advance-post date he put on it to get it honored. Otherwise, bounced and no cash. Of course this place is more of the same in its own sneaky ways. I need to see where the $15 an hour wage in Seattle applies, thinking of which.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Black August posted:

I need to see where the $15 an hour wage in Seattle applies, thinking of which.

Not really anywhere. People are finding loopholes left and right. My buddy just had an interview in Seattle at some restaurant owned by some James Beard award winning iron chef and they offered $10 an hour. MacDonald's pays $9.32. You could be a server and get $9.32 plus your tips. I'm trying to get a job stacking boxes because that actually pays enough to pay the bills.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Uncle Lizard posted:

Not really anywhere. People are finding loopholes left and right. My buddy just had an interview in Seattle at some restaurant owned by some James Beard award winning iron chef and they offered $10 an hour. MacDonald's pays $9.32. You could be a server and get $9.32 plus your tips. I'm trying to get a job stacking boxes because that actually pays enough to pay the bills.

It wasn't an overnight EVERYONE HAS A RAISE NOW thing though, if I recall correctly - the $15/hr is supposed to be the end point of a slow roll over like four years.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

CommonShore posted:

It wasn't an overnight EVERYONE HAS A RAISE NOW thing though, if I recall correctly - the $15/hr is supposed to be the end point of a slow roll over like four years.

Yeah, the rollout doesn't even start until 1 April 2015 (when it goes up to $10 or $11 based on employer size), and the rollout isn't 100% final until 2021, according to this. No one is "finding loopholes", because the wage increase process hasn't started yet.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

No one is "finding loopholes", because the wage increase process hasn't started yet.

Check out what the airport and how they're fighting it and it probably will be reversed by the time it's supposed to go into effect. If it does stick then 2021 is the final date for everyone to comply regardless of company size. I wonder how much stuff will cost in the year 2021

Uncle Lizard fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 22, 2014

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Black August posted:

and how much better I sleep and, you know,

I don't understand. People can sleep without alcohol in their system?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Uncle Lizard posted:

Check out what the airport and how they're fighting it and it probably will be reversed by the time it's supposed to go into effect. If it does stick then 2021 is the final date for everyone to comply regardless of company size. I wonder how much stuff will cost in the year 2021

..what?

If you're talking about SeaTac's lawsuit, it specifically applies to the airport because the claim invoked the fact that the airport is an airport. That's a question of whether or not the city had the right to include the airport in the wage increase, because it is an airport. That's a question of jurisdiction, not a loophole.

Product-cost-increase is a boogeyman that's only "proven" by business owners who use the wage increase as an excuse to disproportionately hike product prices beyond what is necessary to maintain profit or profit margin.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Uncle Lizard posted:

Yeah, the grocery store up the street would cash paychecks for $3, so I just cashed mine out first thing on payday. Since I was the overnight guy, it'd always go out first, and I never got shorted on pay until the boss caught on and just didn't write paychecks until a couple days late.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Jesus Christ I can't imagine not paying my employee. He works his rear end off and I am really grateful for how much he cares and the job he does.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Jesus Christ I can't imagine not paying my employee. He works his rear end off and I am really grateful for how much he cares and the job he does.

I think a lot of it comes out of bitterness of failing owners. "gently caress you, I'm losing my rear end on this and you're not drawing enough business so gently caress if I'm gonna pay you."

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah the dude was definitely very bitter! He also made sure to have this weird sort of ageing-dad-trying-to-be-rockstar mentality? Like the day before I quit he sort of did this weird shoulder brush-by to me and muttered "loving pussy" under his breath which was frankly bizarre coming from a dude in his forties! And no staff meal because "that poo poo is a waste of my bottom line". Well I gained about ten pounds over the last 24 hours so I have triumphed!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Glad you're out of that shithole, and hope your next gig is better!

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

..what?

If you're talking about SeaTac's lawsuit, it specifically applies to the airport because the claim invoked the fact that the airport is an airport. That's a question of whether or not the city had the right to include the airport in the wage increase, because it is an airport. That's a question of jurisdiction, not a loophole.

Product-cost-increase is a boogeyman that's only "proven" by business owners who use the wage increase as an excuse to disproportionately hike product prices beyond what is necessary to maintain profit or profit margin.

I'm not saying people shouldn't get paid more money. I'm saying it's going to get fought tooth and nail and probably never happen. I also know that every place I've ever worked at that want corporate or a private club would be straight up out of business if they had to pay $15 an hour. I'm curious to see how it all goes down at the end of the day. I don't think it's going to turn out well, but we can always hope for the best.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Naelyan posted:

I don't understand. People can sleep without alcohol in their system?

IM CALLING BULLSHIT

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Uncle Lizard posted:

I'm not saying people shouldn't get paid more money. I'm saying it's going to get fought tooth and nail and probably never happen. I also know that every place I've ever worked at that want corporate or a private club would be straight up out of business if they had to pay $15 an hour. I'm curious to see how it all goes down at the end of the day. I don't think it's going to turn out well, but we can always hope for the best.

No they wouldn't. They would marginally raise prices to cover the increase in labor cost, and since this is a universal minimum wage increase in the state so would all their competitors. The higher prices would largely be absorbed by a) the higher disposable income for people who were making the lower minimum wage earlier and b) the excess income of those already making more (and much more) than minimum wage. The net result is a slight transfer of wealth from the top downwards. Nobody would go out of business unless they are lovely at running a business and those people end up failing anyway.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Just because I'm too lazy to check, does the minimum wage increase also affect tipped employees, or only non-tipped employees?

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Kenning posted:

No they wouldn't. They would marginally raise prices to cover the increase in labor cost, and since this is a universal minimum wage increase in the state so would all their competitors. The higher prices would largely be absorbed by a) the higher disposable income for people who were making the lower minimum wage earlier and b) the excess income of those already making more (and much more) than minimum wage. The net result is a slight transfer of wealth from the top downwards. Nobody would go out of business unless they are lovely at running a business and those people end up failing anyway.

The place I work at now is priced so that it is affordable for students (the bulk of our business) and if we were to raise prices any more they simply wouldn't eat there. If I were to get paid $15 the owner would just close the doors. I get $12.50 now and I take home more than the owner most of the time. Again , I'm talking about the smaller mom and pop type restaurants. Corporate restaurants can afford to pay a higher wage, and should.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Shooting Blanks posted:

Just because I'm too lazy to check, does the minimum wage increase also affect tipped employees, or only non-tipped employees?

From what I read they don't know yet.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Uncle Lizard posted:

The place I work at now is priced so that it is affordable for students (the bulk of our business) and if we were to raise prices any more they simply wouldn't eat there. If I were to get paid $15 the owner would just close the doors. I get $12.50 now and I take home more than the owner most of the time. Again , I'm talking about the smaller mom and pop type restaurants. Corporate restaurants can afford to pay a higher wage, and should.
sorry about your stockholm syndrome

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Uncle Lizard posted:

If I was a bit better versed in Southern US culture I'd try to think of the plantation equivalent to "mom and pop" here. "Missus and Boss?" Anyway, I've been paid better at most of the independently-owned restaurants I've worked at than at the chains. If the restaurant requires slave labour to continue, it's not a healthy business.

Besides, those students will soon be making more money, if the have jobs. If they don't have jobs, they probably don't care about the prices anyway, because their parents are paying for poo poo.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

sorry about your stockholm syndrome

For real, quit drinking the flavor-aide at work.

Yes massah, right away massah, oh yes oh yes, no need to pay me massah.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Uncle Lizard posted:

I hate to say it, but if $400 a month ($2.50 x 40 x 4) is going to break the bank, the place has already failed and needs to shut down. A single piece of major equipment breaking will put them out of business at that point.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Liquid Communism posted:

I hate to say it, but if $400 a month ($2.50 x 40 x 4) is going to break the bank, the place has already failed and needs to shut down. A single piece of major equipment breaking will put them out of business at that point.

Exactly! It's hanging on by a string. I have been seriously looking for other work because of this. In fact I just got back from dropping off resumes before I have to go to work.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

CommonShore posted:

If I was a bit better versed in Southern US culture I'd try to think of the plantation equivalent to "mom and pop" here. "Missus and Boss?" Anyway, I've been paid better at most of the independently-owned restaurants I've worked at than at the chains. If the restaurant requires slave labour to continue, it's not a healthy business.

That's been my experience as well. The 24 hour "mom and pop" diner I work at now pays better then any place in town. Heck, the Applebee's I worked at was literally doing monthly sales equal to our weekly sales and was the best performing in their region and couldn't begin to think about paying me what I make now. The thing with corporate restaurants is that a lot of the profit an individual restaurant in the chain makes goes to people who aren't directly working in that restaurant.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah that was basically my point. A minimum wage increase wouldn't be the reason the place closed. Any unexpected expense or surprise would do it because it's a poorly-run business.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
Show me a restaurant that isn't mismanaged and poorly run that pays well, maybe even treats you with a little dignity and respect, and I'll show you my next job. I've been searching for this job for almost 20 years and I settled for just the respect. I hear jobs in other fields overfloweth with such things. Sometimes even all the things. I'm going to test the waters. I will report back. Off to the widget factory I go.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Uncle Lizard posted:

Make it into a sandwich and I bet people would be all over it.

Not making it into a sandwich was kind of the point, I serve a poo poo ton of sandwiches and tacos and nachos and poo poo. I really am trying to get these people to eat better food.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Uncle Lizard posted:

Show me a restaurant that isn't mismanaged and poorly run that pays well, maybe even treats you with a little dignity and respect, and I'll show you my next job. I've been searching for this job for almost 20 years and I settled for just the respect. I hear jobs in other fields overfloweth with such things. Sometimes even all the things. I'm going to test the waters. I will report back. Off to the widget factory I go.

No lie, this is why I'm a computer janitor now. I don't love it, but I spent 20 hours of overtime last week getting paid more per shift than I made a week at the bakery to run cable.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Not making it into a sandwich was kind of the point, I serve a poo poo ton of sandwiches and tacos and nachos and poo poo. I really am trying to get these people to eat better food.

I know, but people are weird like that. Maybe make it a sandwich and slowly take more and more bread away over time until there isn't any left. (Only half joking)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a ritard
Jul 31, 2014

by XyloJW
i'm in seattle and the minimum wage hike has been a hot topic for discussion these past few years... a lot of the proponent dialogue has been on the recent population expansion in the city - that more local workers should be able to afford local housing. as an aside there have been bills to provide affordable housing for workers based on an index of average median income.
the side-effects of such a significant wage increase are interesting - influx of workers from abroad, and the balance of market wage-rates versus pay floors to keep businesses open. for example with a market rate of $10/hour at 40 hours should that shift to $15/hour at 33 hours? are the poor to gain here, or are the skilled who show up for the money? will people just be working harder or working harder less hours for the same productivity and money?
what's really interesting to me is the diatribe of incentive, that more productivity means more pay, which is a great idea if the boss didn't cheat and ship people in from bangladesh or wherever to do these jobs at dirt cheap because the workers don't know any better.
it will certainly be interesting to see how all of this works out, i'm from the camp that says if you're getting paid $15/hour you should be worth $15/hour, and i've worked hard while underpaid to fit into this paradigm. if you think that money is going to fall into your lap like that you're a fool and i feel sorry for you.

ps get stoned after work, not before.

• Locked thread