Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't care about the Miss America pageant, but I love me some exposition of fraudulent financial claims.

This show has the best researchers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

SlothfulCobra posted:

It really does.

JesusLovesRonwell fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 23, 2014

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Astro Nut posted:

Oh, I don't imagine they use the full time, but its like, they've got the first few days to mull over to themselves just what they might wanna look into, and then spend maybe several days before the show doing the research. As to the research for this being right up to the last minute, I think they just had no idea how deep the rabbit hole went.

I think it was partly that, and partly getting information like that takes a few days. Even the best bureaucracy will take a while to dig up forms and send them to a reporter. That's probably why they only had thirty odd states information. The rest just couldn't get there in time. Amazing work no matter what, they got a lot together really quickly.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
The right-to-know law in Pennsylvania gives local governments 5 days to respond to a request, with the ability to request a 30 day extension if the information is not readily available. There's no way they collected all that in just 5 days, I assumed they started researching the story a couple weeks ago.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
gently caress you, Giuseppe! Also, for anyone who loves this show and SOMEHOW doesn't listen to The Bugle, new episode FINALLY happened, after a long, Last Week Tonight-incited hiatus. https://soundcloud.com/the-bugle/bugle-273-season-2

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

IRQ posted:

Miami-Dade County is where all the Cuban expats that fled Castro are. Until they die off the embargo will never be lifted by democrats because it's believed that they would all turn republican in retaliation and Florida is close enough as is.

It will never be lifted by republicans because lol at them doing anything decent.

As the clip showed, Obama mentioned lifting the embargo in 2004 and *still* won Florida in 2008. It's not the ex-pats who are striving to keep the embargo going, it's Florida's tourism industry (and Nevada's, since Vegas has nothing on what Cuba used to be) that stands to suffer immensely if Cuba opens back up. The ex-pats are dying off and their children and children's children give less and less of a gently caress with each passing generation.

Anyone or anywhere who profits on vice in this country has it in their best interests to keep Cuba closed.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Sep 23, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't care about the Miss America pageant, but I love me some exposition of fraudulent financial claims.

I didn't care for John's manufactured outrage about the pageant*, but it seems like they ran out of time, couldn't find anything really bad about MA and had to go with something. As for the researchers, non-profit organizations are ridiculously transparent and you can dig up most of what Oliver and Company found with a few quick Google searches.

*Miss America doesn't solicit donations, so who gives a gently caress how much they give out a year in scholarships? This isn't a case of a bad charity whose deception takes money from good charities, but a good charity exaggerating its charitable works to deflect stupid people's criticism about the bathing suit competition.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

I didn't care for John's manufactured outrage about the pageant*, but it seems like they ran out of time, couldn't find anything really bad about MA and had to go with something. As for the researchers, non-profit organizations are ridiculously transparent and you can dig up most of what Oliver and Company found with a few quick Google searches.

*Miss America doesn't solicit donations, so who gives a gently caress how much they give out a year in scholarships? This isn't a case of a bad charity whose deception takes money from good charities, but a good charity exaggerating its charitable works to deflect stupid people's criticism about the bathing suit competition.

It's a non-profit lying about their charitable works by a factor of ten to avoid criticism is what you're saying

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Phoon posted:

It's a non-profit lying about their charitable works by a factor of ten to avoid criticism is what you're saying

Congratulations! You've discovered marketing. People, businesses and government entities manipulate facts to paint themselves in the most favorable light possible in order to gain trust, sell products and/or promote their agendas.

What are you going to do with this wellspring of newfound knowledge?

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Congratulations! You've discovered marketing. People, businesses and government entities manipulate facts to paint themselves in the most favorable light possible in order to gain trust, sell products and/or promote their agendas.

I know being a huge stupid oval office is your gimmick but could you kindly not do it here?

Its not marketing, its intentional misrepresentation to provide cover for their outdated and decrepit beauty pageant and so they don't get poo poo for being misogynistic.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

I'm going to suggest that your claim that the outrage was manufactured was a bullshit attempt to de-legitimise a well sourced and damning piece about a transparently misogynist institution because you like to see ladies in bikinis on the tv

E: lol vv

Phoon fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 23, 2014

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Miss America released a rebuttal of sorts… http://blog.missamerica.org/post/98162831000/john-oliver-reaffirmed-that-the-miss-america

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

LMAO are these clowns serious? That has got to be the least amount of effort I have ever seen put into a rebuttal piece. Hell it almost looks like they're trying to paint Oliver's segment as an endorsement of Miss America for christ's sake.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Raxivace posted:

LMAO are these clowns serious? That has got to be the least amount of effort I have ever seen put into a rebuttal piece. Hell it almost looks like they're trying to paint Oliver's segment as an endorsement of Miss America for christ's sake.

Well that's basically what it is, but it's more of a "Yeah? Well gently caress you too." tone than one of self-delusion. The kind where a news editor will take a single out of context quote to make it sound like the speaker was talking about something completely different and bet that most viewers/readers/etc won't actually look it up. Oliver was saying that Miss America actually being the biggest scholarship provider to women, while still a good thing, is still not really a good thing overall, no matter how much money they actually do provide.

It's the equivalent of a rear end in a top hat responding to someone saying "This is stupid." with "You're right, you are stupid."

Prosopagnosiac
May 19, 2007

One of us! One of us! Aqua Buddha! Aqua Buddha! One of us!
I'm loving this show big time. The format is perfect for longer form pieces, and because he's on HBO he doesn't have to worry about pissing off advertisers. I generally felt that the celebrity interviews were the weakest part of the TDS format, with the rare exceptions of interesting authors and Pols here and there.

I think that the operative phrase that covers Miss America Pageant's rear end that they used is that they "make available" $45 million. Sure it's to schools that few people want to go to, and maybe don't even offer the course of study that the contestants want, but they're technically available so they count that towards their total in a really disingenuous fashion. I'm just pumped that this is a thing that this show has hit the ground running, can't wait to see what they've got coming up for midterm elections.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I never thought that that would happen, but I think this show has surpassed both The Daily Show and The Colbert Report for me.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Prosopagnosiac posted:

I think that the operative phrase that covers Miss America Pageant's rear end that they used is that they "make available" $45 million. Sure it's to schools that few people want to go to, and maybe don't even offer the course of study that the contestants want, but they're technically available so they count that towards their total in a really disingenuous fashion. I'm just pumped that this is a thing that this show has hit the ground running, can't wait to see what they've got coming up for midterm elections.

Well, if that would be true John Oliver and his crew should just have pointed out that "out of the $45 million they 'provide' only $x million are used" but they did not do that, but presented annecdotal evidence from a few contests.

For me it looks like the Miss America foundation has people trying to get the scholarships from schools/boosters whoever, probably by telling them "hey having Miss XYZ study at your school might not look to bad, how about you let us provide them with a scholarship". I think there is so much worse stuff on TV (how about going after HBO for having nudity in all their shows for the sake of nudity, see sexposition on GoT) and in the Pageant world (6y olds doing pageants) that focusing on Miss America seems just lazy.

As for the midterms, I dont expect a lot of content about them on this show. Maybe 1 week tops.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

I don't think Oliver going after HBO is out of the question. He's bit hands that feed him before. That said, he's got one show a week and a wide world of news and events to satirize. He's not going to get to everyone's favorite hot button topics in the order they like.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

GaussianCopula posted:

For me it looks like the Miss America foundation has people trying to get the scholarships from schools/boosters whoever, probably by telling them "hey having Miss XYZ study at your school might not look to bad, how about you let us provide them with a scholarship". I think there is so much worse stuff on TV (how about going after HBO for having nudity in all their shows for the sake of nudity, see sexposition on GoT) and in the Pageant world (6y olds doing pageants) that focusing on Miss America seems just lazy.

That was kind of the point though. Miss America is supposed to be the "good, socially responsible" pageant. If even Miss America is kind of a sham, aren't we at the point of wondering why the pageant industry should exist at all?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

hcreight posted:

That was kind of the point though. Miss America is supposed to be the "good, socially responsible" pageant. If even Miss America is kind of a sham, aren't we at the point of wondering why the pageant industry should exist at all?

It is not a sham though. They are the largest provider of scholarships exclusivly for woman regardless of the way you count. It is not their fault if woman do not want to take the scholarships they provide and we did not hear for pageant contestants that they felt cheated because they did not get the scholarship they wanted.
The only thing in the whole segment that was questionable is the fact that they "provided" three different scholarships to one contestant and count all 3 (of which only one can be taken) for their total, but on the other hand, they have provided all three scholarships and it's the schools that save money if the contestant does not pick them.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Prosopagnosiac posted:

Unless someone can find an actual list - the schools the segment showed looked like horrible corporate schools that probably just issue a credit towards tuition on top of some awful loan and call it a "scholarship" for any poor girl that goes there, which thank goodness, appeared to be none of them.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

GaussianCopula posted:

It is not a sham though. They are the largest provider of scholarships exclusivly for woman regardless of the way you count. It is not their fault if woman do not want to take the scholarships they provide and we did not hear for pageant contestants that they felt cheated because they did not get the scholarship they wanted.
The only thing in the whole segment that was questionable is the fact that they "provided" three different scholarships to one contestant and count all 3 (of which only one can be taken) for their total, but on the other hand, they have provided all three scholarships and it's the schools that save money if the contestant does not pick them.

A non-profit claiming they provide all this money in scholarships without actually paying out that amount is misleading at best. That's to say nothing of the selection process. Surely other women who may not look good in a bikini could use that money they claim to provide but effectively don't.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GaussianCopula posted:

It is not a sham though. They are the largest provider of scholarships exclusivly for woman* regardless of the way you count.

* Who have never been married or pregnant, and are willing to get nearly naked in front of a large group of strangers to be graded like sides of beef.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

That's to say nothing of the selection process. Surely other women who may not look good in a bikini could use that money they claim to provide but effectively don't.

Every scholarship on earth has some kind of selection criteria. For example, as a white man, I'm barred from literally thousands of scholarship opportunities targeted towards minorities. Instead of complaining that I don't have the same opportunity at a black scholarship as, say, a black man, I spend my time pursuing scholarships I am qualified for and likely to get.

The idea that Miss America is doing something wrong because it only provides 4 million or even 400k in scholarships a year instead 45 million is laughable.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Irish Joe posted:

Every scholarship on earth has some kind of selection criteria. For example, as a white man, I'm barred from literally thousands of scholarship opportunities targeted towards minorities. Instead of complaining that I don't have the same opportunity at a black scholarship as, say, a black man, I pursue scholarships I am qualified for and likely to get.

This is more akin to a scholarship for black people but you must have an afro measuring at least 3 feet in diameter.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Irish Joe posted:

Every scholarship on earth has some kind of selection criteria. For example, as a white man, I'm barred from literally thousands of scholarship opportunities targeted towards minorities. Instead of complaining that I don't have the same opportunity at a black scholarship as, say, a black man, I spend my time pursuing scholarships I am qualified for and likely to get.

The idea that Miss America is doing something wrong because it only provides 4 million or even 400k in scholarships a year instead 45 million is laughable.
Jesus Christ dude, we know what you're doing and it's not appreciated here. This is a thread for a good television show. Stop trying to ruin it. Take it to D&D, I'll play with you there if you need your contrarianism boner stroked that badly.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

IRQ posted:

This is more akin to a scholarship for black people but you must have an afro measuring at least 3 feet in diameter.

That wouldn't be unprecedented.

Unusual Scholarships

1. Tall Clubs International Scholarship--If you're a male 6' 2" or taller, or a female 5' 10" or taller, you just may qualify for this $1,000 scholarship. To qualify, you simply need to write an essay entitled "What Being Tall Means to Me."
3. Van Valkenburg Memorial Scholarship--You can win $1,000 if you're a descendant through birth or legal adoption of Lambert and Annetje Van Valkenburg.
5. Duck Brand Duct Tape Stuck on Prom Contest--Who would ever think that creating prom outfits out of duct tape could win a lucky couple $3,000 in scholarship money?
12. The Billy Barty Foundation--This scholarship is awarded to students who are short in stature (under 4' 10") and have proof of dwarfism.
13. National Marbles Tournament Scholarship--This contest for eight to 14 year olds awards between $1,000 and $2,000 scholarship money to those skilled in the game of marbles.

JT Jag posted:

Jesus Christ dude, we know what you're doing and it's not appreciated here.

Critical thinking?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The point is that it's really sad and gross that the biggest scholarship for women falls under what you are now admitting is "unusual" in its requirements.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

IRQ posted:

The point is that it's really sad and gross that the biggest scholarship for women falls under what you are now admitting is "unusual" in its requirements.

I didn't admit that, nor do I agree that its sad and gross. Like the Miss America Pageant points out in its response, women still have access to gender non-specific scholarships. There are, after all, plenty of scholarships out there that recognize economic need or academic achievement. Miss America is targeting a very specific niche; namely, women who compete in their pageants. It would be violating its charter if it gave money to any girl who wandered in off the street. You could argue that its sad that the largest women's scholarship organization in America is based around a silly, superficial and traditionally girly activity (which would make you a misogynist), but you could just as easily turn that on its head and say that it demonstrates how far women have come in this country when they no longer have to rely on women-only organizations to promote their achievement.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 23, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

You could argue that its sad that the largest women's scholarship organization in America is based around a silly, superficial and traditionally girly activity (which, in turn, would make you a misogynist)
:barf:

You post like a low-rent Amergin rip-off. Go troll somewhere else.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Good ol' D&D effort-posting in action.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

Good ol' D&D effort-posting in action.
Trolls don't usually deserve effort posts, barring specific exemptions. You aren't worth the time.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You know you can also just not reply at all, right? And the way trolls work is that as long as you're saying anything they can respond to, they win?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Bown posted:

You know you can also just not reply at all, right? And the way trolls work is that as long as you're saying anything they can respond to, they win?
Trolls enjoy getting an emotional response more than anything else. Someone telling them to "gently caress off with that" or "I can't believe you actually think that" and such. Being told they've been put on an ignore list is another good one. They also enjoy wasting people's time with bad-faith arguments, ultimately leading to the payoff of the emotional response as well. While you are correct that any response at all is a win to some extent, it's not a zero-sum game.

My posts served as signposts for other readers of this thread not to engage him as much as anything else. Because sure, I could just not post, but then others would. Best to shut it down as quickly as possible.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

But they claim to provide 45 million! If they said they provided 4 million and it turned out they did that wouldn't be a story. It would just be "isn't it weird that the largest woman only scholarship fund is only available to attractive women" and then move on. That they would lie about their activities to the tune of forty million dollars is extremely suspicious, especially when they make a very big deal of the scholarships whenever possible.

If Oxfam said they had installed water pumps all across Africa and then it turned out they hadn't that would also be newsworthy, and any anger at them would not be "manufactured".

Edit: never mind apparently

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Phoon posted:

But they claim to provide 45 million! If they said they provided 4 million and it turned out they did that wouldn't be a story. It would just be "isn't it weird that the largest woman only scholarship fund is only available to attractive women" and then move on. That they would lie about their activities to the tune of forty million dollars is extremely suspicious, especially when they make a very big deal of the scholarships whenever possible.

The term 'lie' makes it sound like its a fabrication or done maliciously. 'Suspicious' makes it sound like they have some sinister ulterior motive. But there are no victims here; no secret agenda. The fact is that they make 40 million in scholarships available, but the contestants only use 4 million. That's still a great benefit to the girls who use it, and a net positive to society as a whole.

JT Jag posted:

My posts served as signposts for other readers of this thread not to engage him as much as anything else. Because sure, I could just not post, but then others would. Best to shut it down as quickly as possible.

You are the Sacajawea of shitposters.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
Attn: Irish Joe

If you're trolling, well done.

If you're sincere, you're a moron.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Had to keep it under 20 seconds.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
You guys are aware you're trying to explain misogyny to a pedophile, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

MizPiz posted:

You guys are aware you're trying to explain misogyny to a pedophile, right?

And the fuse is lit.

Back on topic, I am loving the poo poo outta this show for exposing all the BS that pretty much no one else can touch. Also because without it I would have legitimately had no idea about the continuing embargo and that India had the world's largest election.

• Locked thread