Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Atlas of Bugs, Mookie. All those moments lost in time, like tears in rain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Well I'm glad he got that gushing hole in his side fixed up with no long term problems. Good for him.

That was a thing, if my memory serves me right.

A law school thread success story: someone didn't die on the street from a wound for which they couldn't afford to pay the emergency room bill.

:shobon:

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
Another day, another sovereign citizen. First Moorish Nation guy, though. He provided his own seal.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

A Game of Chess posted:

Another day, another sovereign citizen. First Moorish Nation guy, though. He provided his own seal.

My partner ran across one of these guys in a divorce. Demanded to see another attorney's oath of office and commission (as an officer of the Court).

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

A Game of Chess posted:

I'm choosing to believe he presented the animal kind, not the paper kind. It's a better mental picture.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Soylent Pudding posted:

I'm choosing to believe he presented the animal kind, not the paper kind. It's a better mental picture.

Only if it did tricks while he snuck out the back, causing the Court to lose jurisdiction.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

A Game of Chess posted:

Was he wearing a magic hat? Please tell me he was wearing a magic hat.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
I don't generally see the litigants unless they show up and try to force their way into our chambers (this only happened once, also with a sovereign citizen), so sadly, I don't know if he was wearing it.

Considering the level of detail his filings had (not just the seal, he also provided us with his incorporation paperwork...) it was likely.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

SlyFrog posted:

Atlas of Bugs, Mookie. All those moments lost in time, like tears in rain.

Cakefarts in the wind

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

A Game of Chess posted:

I don't generally see the litigants unless they show up and try to force their way into our chambers

This is the dream. Right here.

I, meanwhile, had pro pers showing up in my nightmares this weekend.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

A Game of Chess posted:

I don't generally see the litigants unless they show up and try to force their way into our chambers (this only happened once, also with a sovereign citizen), so sadly, I don't know if he was wearing it.

Considering the level of detail his filings had (not just the seal, he also provided us with his incorporation paperwork...) it was likely.

I thought these people were a loving joke.

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/law-enforcement-bulletin/september-2011/sovereign-citizens

"The FBI considers sovereign-citizen extremists as comprising a domestic terrorist movement... well-known members, such as Terry Nichols, who helped plan the Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, bombing." "Since 2000, lone-offender sovereign-citizen extremists have killed six law enforcement officers."

Described as a "nationwide movement [] fueled by the Internet."
FBI CAVEAT: "Some of their actions, although quirky, are not crimes."

I'm also now realizing this dude, who I definitely did not have a client consult with when I worked in College Station, was one of them:

I can only find a quote from a forum of the original story:

quote:

Police there found about 50 people in a field with Christmas lights, some playing beer pong, the report states. Rabe and his wife -- who Rabe called the emperor and empress of a separate country ("The Sovereign Nation of Eminent Domain") -- identified themselves as the landowners, police reported.

The woman, who accused the officer of trespassing, said the couple's last name was Rabe, but Dwight Rabe refused to provide his first name and said he didn't recognize the officer's authority, according to the report.

"The defendant stated I was under arrest and that he wanted to speak to the city manager and my supervisor," the officer, Jeremy Elmore, reported.

Elmore called for backup and told Rabe he was under arrest, leading to a scuffle after Rabe assumed a "fighting stance," Elmore wrote. The 5-foot-7-inch, 240-pound Rabe wrapped his legs around Elmore's right leg as they wrestled on the ground, and that's when another officer used the Taser, the report states.

He would later go on and attempt to kill is brother, and the Robertson County Sheriff with an axe handle and a rifle.

http://www.abc40.com/story/6299550/brazos-county-man-threatens-to-kill-robertson-county-sheriff

His attempt to appeal his conviction was... unsuccessful.

http://law.justia.com/cases/texas/first-court-of-appeals/2009/86405.html

"In his pro se response, appellant contends that the trial court failed to 'recognize [appellant's] right under the Vienna Convention to separate [his] property from the State of Texas and the United States of America..."

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

A Game of Chess posted:

Did he use a bloody thumbprint anywhere on his pleadings? That's how you know they're for real. Don't be confused by red ink, as real blood will be brownish-red!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

The FBI says the same thing about Juggalos.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

This morning I got a tour of a federal courthouse and was told that the engravings on the ceiling of the ceremonial courtroom were intended to have a nautical theme. Definitive proof that the sovereign citizens have been right about admiralty court this whole time

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev

mastershakeman posted:

Did he use a bloody thumbprint anywhere on his pleadings? That's how you know they're for real. Don't be confused by red ink, as real blood will be brownish-red!

It was scanned and it looked like a little clip art thumbprint on his "writ." It may have been real blood at some point. Go to law school, kids!

Alaemon posted:

This is the dream. Right here.

I, meanwhile, had pro pers showing up in my nightmares this weekend.

It was even better in criminal. You actually had to get by security to even get to the floor where our chambers were located. :(

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

A Game of Chess posted:

It was even better in criminal. You actually had to get by security to even get to the floor where our chambers were located. :(

We once had a random pro per use the judge's private bathroom (which puts him about two steps outside the judge's office itself). I wasn't there, so I don't know quite how it happened. I know my judge believes in the open door policy, but I think that was a little much even for him.

We have a really lousy setup and combined with judge's man-of-the-people, everyone should have access to all court staff policy, we just have litigants all over the place. I swear I had to say "Sir, you need to remove your hat" a dozen times today.

When you come up the stairs on our floor, the first office you encounter is our court reporter -- the person who has less need to deal with the public than anyone else. So naturally they all wander into her office to ask for directions.

My office is sort of centrally located, so I get a lot of lost souls, too. The woman who handles court appointments of attorneys AND jury duty is located in a back corner no one can find. Judge and the bailiff are behind a (nominal) security door, but so is our caseflow manager, so people are ALWAYS going back there for dates (she's also our notary). The only time that door is ever closed is when we have a prisoner in the holding cell.

On top of that, we have any number of people hanging around waiting for the judge to review their PPO paperwork, because we've got that process running so long... Oh, and all the pro pers that are on my docket for status conferences (which is why I have nightmares).

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
Does anyone here know what the protocol for giving legal advice remotely to clients in California is if you're not licensed in California (but are licensed in another state)? In most states the process is pretty easy and you just get an attorney in that state to nominally supervise you, but I know California had that court case recently that seemed to make it harder. Asking for a friend!!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Intermeddlers and Not a Law Pun watching Nick loving Folk kick away somebody's dreams tonight.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

MoFauxHawk posted:

Does anyone here know what the protocol for giving legal advice remotely to clients in California is if you're not licensed in California (but are licensed in another state)? In most states the process is pretty easy and you just get an attorney in that state to nominally supervise you, but I know California had that court case recently that seemed to make it harder. Asking for a friend!!

You'll get a better answer from the CA State Bar Lawyer's Hotline than you will from the internet.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

blarzgh posted:

Intermeddlers and Not a Law Pun watching Nick loving Folk kick away somebody's dreams tonight.

gently caress Nick Folk forever.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Sir John Falstaff posted:

God Bless Nick Folk, my second highest scoring player forever.

Someone had to make up for Julio Jones. Also I wondered why my poo poo talking in the ESPN app was going unnoticed.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Subterfrugal posted:

Someone had to make up for Julio Jones. Also I wondered why my poo poo talking in the ESPN app was going unnoticed.

Huh--I haven't seen it.

Nick Folk managed to beat me in both of my leagues in the same night. I lost by one point in one league and seven points in the other league. Nick Folk got 15.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 23, 2014

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
:siren: Island Law Job Time! :siren:

The CNMI Supreme Court needs a new clerk starting January 1. They’ve been known to hire candidates with past legal experience, and they prefer candidates from the west.

http://www.justice.gov.mp/uploads/Law_Clerk_Employment_Opportunity.pdf

PM me if you want more info.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev

Jesus.

We're in a local government building, which is open to the public, extremely active in a number of different areas, and has minimal security. No way to get around that, unfortunately. But I think we are a bigger district than it sounds like you are so that also helps cut down on some of the noise. I can't even imagine working with the kind of setup you're describing, especially when we were dealing with prisoners.

On a side note I am continually amused at how our conversations are pretty much "how do we get as far away from litigants as possible" ... the clerk's dream.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
When do you feel justified in asking for fees after patently bullshit motions to dismiss? I mean like the other side waits for you to file a request to deny and then they file an Answer before the judge even responds - mooting the motion. To me that doesn't show they had a lot of faith in their own motion.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

A Game of Chess posted:

On a side note I am continually amused at how our conversations are pretty much "how do we get as far away from litigants as possible" ... the clerk's dream.

I've dedicated a lot of my effort to revising the process by which I handle the pro per status conferences to minimize interaction. My objective, in the new year (assuming I'm employed), is to go to an entirely paperwork-based model where I don't have to talk to them at all. Just... leave the paperwork in the basket and I'll send you a letter telling you how it's defective or if you can go ahead with your hearing.

Just that would be a big step up in quality of life. I haven't worked out a way to get rid of dealing with attorneys, but a man can dream. (I need to get a sweet basement gig in an appellate research division.)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I just want to note how much I hate judges talking annoying clients out of going pro per. I already have enough clients and the would be pro per ones are never the ones I like.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

We just had a judge tell our newest attorney the court does all the real work for our office. This was done solely way of introduction, with a straight face. New attorney isn't even handling cases yet, let alone doing anything to justify a trip to the woodshed.

Reading the tea leaves I suspect my own court calendar tomorrow with the same judge will be particularly trying this week, even though it's light on any problem cases.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

When do you feel justified in asking for fees after patently bullshit motions to dismiss? I mean like the other side waits for you to file a request to deny and then they file an Answer before the judge even responds - mooting the motion. To me that doesn't show they had a lot of faith in their own motion.

So the motion to dismiss was based on jurisdiction? We practice all over and hardly ever bother requesting fees unless it's a jurisdiction with good prevailing party law (thanks Pennsylvania).

Folly
May 26, 2010
The USPTO just approved my patent bar exam application. There was some doubt, because I applied under category B - equivalent coursework without the right degree. My degree is non-ABET accredited Computer Science, if anybody is curious.

I was so sure that I'd never have the time to finish the 8 hours of physics that I never even bothered to take a patent law class. And I didn't want to waste my time studying until I knew I was approved. Now I have 3 months to take the patent bar on this approval, and I'm totally ignorant of the subject matter. But approved is approved, so I assume I can take it again if I fail.

I graduated law school in 2011, having already started later in life than most, and I have never practiced law. I work in IT with IT people and we talk about IT things. I regularly draw blanks on incredibly simple concepts of law. It's so embarrassing that I try to avoid telling people that I'm a lawyer. I can only assume it's going to get worse when I actually have to start applying to law firms again and deal with questions about how I'll handle being about 10 years too old to be a first year associate.

Where's a good place to look up average attorney salaries by area? I'll eventually want to convince myself that it's worth it.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Folly posted:

The USPTO just approved my patent bar exam application. There was some doubt, because I applied under category B - equivalent coursework without the right degree. My degree is non-ABET accredited Computer Science, if anybody is curious.

I was so sure that I'd never have the time to finish the 8 hours of physics that I never even bothered to take a patent law class. And I didn't want to waste my time studying until I knew I was approved. Now I have 3 months to take the patent bar on this approval, and I'm totally ignorant of the subject matter. But approved is approved, so I assume I can take it again if I fail.

I graduated law school in 2011, having already started later in life than most, and I have never practiced law. I work in IT with IT people and we talk about IT things. I regularly draw blanks on incredibly simple concepts of law. It's so embarrassing that I try to avoid telling people that I'm a lawyer. I can only assume it's going to get worse when I actually have to start applying to law firms again and deal with questions about how I'll handle being about 10 years too old to be a first year associate.

Where's a good place to look up average attorney salaries by area? I'll eventually want to convince myself that it's worth it.

Being a lawyer isn't about the law.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

the milk machine posted:

So the motion to dismiss was based on jurisdiction? We practice all over and hardly ever bother requesting fees unless it's a jurisdiction with good prevailing party law (thanks Pennsylvania).

No, it was a 12(b)(6).

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Ok, I'm not seeing how answering moots their motion then, even though I guess they could have waited. Doesn't sound like a situation where we'd be looking for fees, though.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
From the recent TX Bar O&G section newsletter:

RECENT TEXAS OIL AND GAS CASES
By Richard F. Brown

Transocean Offshore Deepwater Drilling, Inc. v. Eni U.S. Operating Co., Inc. applied admiralty law to interpret the risk of loss provisions in an offshore drilling contract after all drilling operations in the Gulf of Mexico were halted due to the unrelated blowout of BP’s Macondo Well.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
I don't know what it takes for a witness to be charged with perjury. Has anyone else ever seen anyone charged with perjury, ever?

Witnesses lie all the time, maybe more often than not. But I've seen some whopper lies get caught red-handed, and the judge just kind of scolds them and shakes his head. Today I saw a witness refuse to name a suspect on the stand, when asked why she refused she said "I spoke to her yesterday and she asked that I not name her". The judge then orders her to divulge the name, and she says "I can't remember". Judge scowls momentarily. What the gently caress. What does a brother gotta do to get a perjury charge around here? I'd settle for contempt of court and a 24 hour hold!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

woozle wuzzle posted:

I don't know what it takes for a witness to be charged with perjury. Has anyone else ever seen anyone charged with perjury, ever?

Witnesses lie all the time, maybe more often than not. But I've seen some whopper lies get caught red-handed, and the judge just kind of scolds them and shakes his head. Today I saw a witness refuse to name a suspect on the stand, when asked why she refused she said "I spoke to her yesterday and she asked that I not name her". The judge then orders her to divulge the name, and she says "I can't remember". Judge scowls momentarily. What the gently caress. What does a brother gotta do to get a perjury charge around here? I'd settle for contempt of court and a 24 hour hold!

Can't threaten criminal charges to gain an advantage in a civil matter, holmes.

I'm surprised the bitch isn't in jail after doing that in open court, though.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Folly posted:

The trick to the patent bar isn't knowing any specifics about patent law, it's knowing what chapter of the MPEP that it's covered in.

The patent bar is open book with an electronic, searchable copy of the MPEP. Only problem is that you can only search in one chapter at a time. The questions are multiple choice. If you know what chapter is relevant to the question, you can pretty much identify the important keyword in each of the multiple choice answers, search the MPEP for it, and if it comes up (or doesn't come up in the "which of these things doesn't belong" questions), you know what to put down.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

blarzgh posted:

From the recent TX Bar O&G section newsletter:

RECENT TEXAS OIL AND GAS CASES
By Richard F. Brown

Transocean Offshore Deepwater Drilling, Inc. v. Eni U.S. Operating Co., Inc. applied admiralty law to interpret the risk of loss provisions in an offshore drilling contract after all drilling operations in the Gulf of Mexico were halted due to the unrelated blowout of BP’s Macondo Well.

Because admiralty law applies?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Admiralty law isn't some weird thing sov citizens made up, it does exist. It just isn't applicable to everything they want it to apply to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Nothing groundbreaking. Just always staying on top of the latest Admiralty Law updates.