Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
The battery life on my Lumia is garbage. What am I doing wrong? It lasts maybe 2 days before dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

vigorous sodomy posted:

The battery life on my Lumia is garbage. What am I doing wrong? It lasts maybe 2 days before dying.

That's normal for any phone with large display running a general-purpose operating system?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

nielsm posted:

That's normal for any phone with large display running a general-purpose operating system?

It's not because the iPhone has twice this standby time.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

vigorous sodomy posted:

It's not because the iPhone has twice this standby time.

Bro every phone will have good life if you don't use it. Turn 4g off and don't turn screen on. Secrets to success.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

vigorous sodomy posted:

Is that to mean that you charge the phone once every two days? if so then that's exceptional battery life for any smart phone.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

There are people out there who charge their phones every four days? :psyduck: Why is that necessary, don't you sleep?

benzoapyrene
Apr 18, 2013

wormil posted:

Looks like I spoke too soon about Nokia service. Been a week since I filled out their warranty repair form -- no email confirmation, no return shipping label they promised, nothing.

Really? They sent me my shipping label almost instantly after I filled out the form. Their e-mail confirmations are nonexistent otherwise, though - I've been waiting for a week to find out if my phone arrived at the service center (they said they'd send an e-mail once they received it). I only found out that it both arrived and is being repaired after going to their service page and putting in my serial number.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

benzoapyrene posted:

Really? They sent me my shipping label almost instantly after I filled out the form. Their e-mail confirmations are nonexistent otherwise, though - I've been waiting for a week to find out if my phone arrived at the service center (they said they'd send an e-mail once they received it). I only found out that it both arrived and is being repaired after going to their service page and putting in my serial number.

Yep, they said two days on the label. I'll have to go online and see what's up. The irony is that my phone stopped constantly rebooting.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Something that's been bugging me for a bit: some of my facebook events are doubled in the calendar for 8.1. I can't seem to find a pattern, as it's both invited to events and events I'm attending, regardless of whether I clicked on the event in the calendar to take me to the event's page or not, but sometimes Facebook events feel like doubling on me. It doesn't really affect usability, just that part of me that doesn't want to see the symbol for overlapping events when nothing's overlapping. I got the doubled events to go away occasionally by hitting "not going" on the ones I was going to then hitting "going" but just now one of the events I did that on decided to double itself again. I don't have any Facebook event syncing going on with any email accounts and I'd say it's a 50/50 shot at whether or not the event decides to double.

Edit: I think I fixed it, like all things, by uninstalling then reinstalling the app. I hope the doubling doesn't return.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 20, 2014

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

wormil posted:

Looks like I spoke too soon about Nokia service. Been a week since I filled out their warranty repair form -- no email confirmation, no return shipping label they promised, nothing.

I'll share my Nokia warranty experience so far, because its been fairly different.

Just a bit of background: I posted about my 635 in this thread; basically saying it was nice but slow, couldn't multitask right, and froze up on the reg. People in this thread advised that such performance issues weren't typical. I decided to go back to my att store and get them to swap it out. But since I was one day (one day) out of my 14 day return policy, they wouldn't take it back. After being shot down by the associate, I walked up to the manager like an rear end in a top hat and explained that I had a defective phone that froze all the time and ran like poo poo, that I had tried wiping it and starting again from scratch (true) and that I thought that might fix it, but the issues returned. I played up the angle that I had tried to remedy the problem on my own and save a needless return, but that it had cost me time and now I was just barely out of the window and couldn't he make an exception, but no dice. He did however get the ball rolling on a warranty claim for me, and Nokia got me an RMA and a replacement mailed out that day..

So if you're not getting a response on your warranty claim (and you bought the phone from a brick and mortar retailer) maybe try going back to the store and asking for them to help.

..I'm actually a little worried that my original phone's problems aren't immediately obvious enough, and Nokia is going to make me mail the replacement back. But until then I'm going to rock this new phone that doesn't lock up, or poo poo the bed on media playback, or crash every program as soon as I switch out of it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I'll share my Nokia warranty experience so far, because its been fairly different.

Just a bit of background: I posted about my 635 in this thread; basically saying it was nice but slow, couldn't multitask right, and froze up on the reg. People in this thread advised that such performance issues weren't typical. I decided to go back to my att store and get them to swap it out. But since I was one day (one day) out of my 14 day return policy, they wouldn't take it back. After being shot down by the associate, I walked up to the manager like an rear end in a top hat and explained that I had a defective phone that froze all the time and ran like poo poo, that I had tried wiping it and starting again from scratch (true) and that I thought that might fix it, but the issues returned. I played up the angle that I had tried to remedy the problem on my own and save a needless return, but that it had cost me time and now I was just barely out of the window and couldn't he make an exception, but no dice. He did however get the ball rolling on a warranty claim for me, and Nokia got me an RMA and a replacement mailed out that day..

So if you're not getting a response on your warranty claim (and you bought the phone from a brick and mortar retailer) maybe try going back to the store and asking for them to help.

..I'm actually a little worried that my original phone's problems aren't immediately obvious enough, and Nokia is going to make me mail the replacement back. But until then I'm going to rock this new phone that doesn't lock up, or poo poo the bed on media playback, or crash every program as soon as I switch out of it.

After signing up for warranty service I left the battery out for 2 days and it hasn't started rebooting again. But I should call them and get it fixed/replaced because it will inevitably start again someday.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Anyone else get double notifications from the official Twitter app? Like in the notification center, I see every actual Twitter notification - say for a DM - twice :confused:

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Chasiubao posted:

Anyone else get double notifications from the official Twitter app? Like in the notification center, I see every actual Twitter notification - say for a DM - twice :confused:

All the goddamn time.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Does the windows phone insider app not work with 8.1? I used to use it to snag new wallpapers, but can't install it on my Lumia 635.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/insider/6c6091e6-0128-e011-854c-00237de2db9e

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I've had it installed since 8.0 and I'm on cyan now and it's been working fine for me; I've downloaded a few of the wallpapers.

It says I can't download it now though, so it probably is built for 8.0.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Maneki Neko posted:

Does the windows phone insider app not work with 8.1? I used to use it to snag new wallpapers, but can't install it on my Lumia 635.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/insider/6c6091e6-0128-e011-854c-00237de2db9e

It says not available for my device, on an 8XT with dev preview 8.1 (lol HTC).

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Bought my wife a 1020 so she can take baby photos. I tried to read most of this thread but didn't find any mention of the issue of 8.1 breaking the camera app. I noticed people freaking out about on different websites. Is it just made up bs or a legit issue? I figured it's a nice upgrade from her burner 520

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

NFX posted:

This morning my lumia 920 cyan decided not to use the speaker for my alarm, vibration only. Volume was 8/10 and 14/30 for apps.

A restart fixed it.

This just happened again. WTH Microsoft? I've never had a problem before upgrading to 8.1, now it's twice in two weeks.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
My wife's phone for some reason turns the speaker on when she boots Whatsapp. You always hear a faint sound of static when she's using it. Does anyone else have this?

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Bought my wife a 1020 so she can take baby photos. I tried to read most of this thread but didn't find any mention of the issue of 8.1 breaking the camera app. I noticed people freaking out about on different websites. Is it just made up bs or a legit issue? I figured it's a nice upgrade from her burner 520

My wife has a 1020 running 8.1 and hasn't reported any issues with the camera app.

Our biggest problem has been the phones have hard locked on us multiple times now. Her 1020 and my 920.

Mine hard locked with a scrambled screen. I've also had problems with the system just not responding at all, then about 30-60 seconds later everything I've tried pressing all happens in about ten seconds.

NFX posted:

This just happened again. WTH Microsoft? I've never had a problem before upgrading to 8.1, now it's twice in two weeks.

I am having an issue with alarms as well. My phone is not even vibrating. It simply does nothing.

Doomsday Jesus fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 22, 2014

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

8.1 took a giant poo poo on my battery life :arghfist::(

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Got a 930, started it, screen had a heavy purple tint, inductive charger did not work, and realized I would lose Google exchange support in the process. Packed it up, sent it back, and have decided to just stick to my 920 for another 6-12 months.

A bit of a disappointment, but if anything it sort of made me realize how little I need a change from the 920, so there is no reason not to keep using it.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I am having an issue with alarms as well. My phone is not even vibrating. It simply does nothing.

Other places on the net suggests removing alarms defined under 8.0 and re-adding them, I don't know if that'll fix your problem - it does nothing for me.

In fact, it seems to most system sounds that've gone missing. Notifications (including texts) don't play anything, the alarm tone / ring tone selection previews don't play anything, I even tried turning on the camera shutter sound, but nope. The music app plays fine.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Got a 930, started it, screen had a heavy purple tint, inductive charger did not work, and realized I would lose Google exchange support in the process. Packed it up, sent it back, and have decided to just stick to my 920 for another 6-12 months.

A bit of a disappointment, but if anything it sort of made me realize how little I need a change from the 920, so there is no reason not to keep using it.

The heavy purple tint is a common thing with the 930 - it's an issue of the phone's screen not being correctly calibrated. it can be fixed by playing with the settings.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

The heavy purple tint is a common thing with the 930 - it's an issue of the phone's screen not being correctly calibrated. it can be fixed by playing with the settings.

Nah, at least in this case you could not. The settings let you change the tint, but here it was correct at full brightness and purple at low brightness. So with adjustment you get something that is just slightly wrong at both ends of the brightness spectrum (slightly green at high and slightly purple at low). Clearly not acceptable at any rate.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Our biggest problem has been the phones have hard locked on us multiple times now. Her 1020 and my 920.

Mine hard locked with a scrambled screen. I've also had problems with the system just not responding at all, then about 30-60 seconds later everything I've tried pressing all happens in about ten seconds.
Are you using custom lockscreen beta app? It can mess up your phone pretty bad to the point where only way to get it back to operational is to remove battery or in case of 920 etc let battery run out completely.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

realized I would lose Google exchange support in the process.

Wait, what's this about?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

I'm thinking of changing over the thread page icons to use the newer, non GIF ones from Awful.app. Do you guys like it more? Or do you want me to leave it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Drastic Actions posted:

I'm thinking of changing over the thread page icons to use the newer, non GIF ones from Awful.app. Do you guys like it more? Or do you want me to leave it.

I don't have a say on the thread icons but pleaseeee put some padding around the unread posts number. It's driving me nuts from a design standpoint!

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Drastic Actions posted:

I for one think it looks better with the new icons.

...although I don't always see the icons that it's set to use right now. Sometimes I just get black boxes in the shape of the icon. But it seemingly goes away on its own after a while, not that it matters much either way, really.

Have you ever thought about making the thread list display a metro-style typography-centric interface? Like, get rid of the grey-blue rectangles all together and just have the (new bigger) icon, the number of new replies, and the thread name, with the rest of the options hidden behind a long press?

Oh god what am I saying? It's pretty great the way it is. What with the stability and ease of use. I'd hate to have an app that looks nicer but doesn't work as well.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I for one think it looks better with the new icons.

...although I don't always see the icons that it's set to use right now. Sometimes I just get black boxes in the shape of the icon. But it seemingly goes away on its own after a while, not that it matters much either way, really.

Have you ever thought about making the thread list display a metro-style typography-centric interface? Like, get rid of the grey-blue rectangles all together and just have the (new bigger) icon, the number of new replies, and the thread name, with the rest of the options hidden behind a long press?

Oh god what am I saying? It's pretty great the way it is. What with the stability and ease of use. I'd hate to have an app that looks nicer but doesn't work as well.

That's because it's using the forums actual thread icons. If you don't see them, it did not download them. These you should always see, since they are in the app. I'm up for playing around with the layout (and it should be easy enough for anyone to do, since I have sample data in the XAML so anyone can play with it :v:. Right now I'm just happy it works as is.

BonoMan posted:

I don't have a say on the thread icons but pleaseeee put some padding around the unread posts number. It's driving me nuts from a design standpoint!

Better? Or should it be equal with the thread icon. Or did you mean the number in the box.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 23, 2014

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Drastic Actions posted:

That's because it's using the forums actual thread icons. If you don't see them, it did not download them. These you should always see, since they are in the app. I'm up for playing around with the layout (and it should be easy enough for anyone to do, since I have sample data in the XAML so anyone can play with it :v:. Right now I'm just happy it works as is.

Better? Or should it be equal with the thread icon. Or did you mean the number in the box.

I think it should be equal with the thread icon... and now that you mention it I'd do the number as well!

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Drastic Actions posted:

A vote for the newer icons. I think they fit an app better. :)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I like this idea.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

I like this idea.

second this, it would look awesome and fit with WP more.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Nah, at least in this case you could not. The settings let you change the tint, but here it was correct at full brightness and purple at low brightness. So with adjustment you get something that is just slightly wrong at both ends of the brightness spectrum (slightly green at high and slightly purple at low). Clearly not acceptable at any rate.
My Lumia 930 received 8.1.1 update today along with some Nokia firmware update. Purple tint is now gone at least when I set display brightness to low manually, but I haven't tested it in complete darkness with autobrightness yet.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Joe also mentioned in Twitter there should be a update to Dev Preview this week with HTC Support, Cyan Ramp Up, and the like so hopefully something good comes out this week.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
So, can you no longer sync with free Google accounts? I just picked up an Icon and I was able to connect my school Google account, but it keeps telling me that my account info is incorrect when I try to attach my personal account.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Do you have two factor auth enabled? If so, you need to type in an app password.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
That did the trick, thanks. I figured there would be something, but thought it would tell me, rather than just say I had the wrong password.